Question about supermarket possibility in Newington

Started by AmesNewington, November 03, 2008, 07:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmesNewington

I have a quick question regarding Newington CT (my hometown), and I'm looking for some insight, especially those in the Hartford CT area.

Newington already has Stop and Shop (near the New-Britain line), Shaw's (off the Turnpike), Price Chopper (on the Turnpike) and Stew Leonards (on the Berlin line). Would it be possible for another supermarket chain to have interest in opening in Newington? The reason I ask is because Newington Center which covers a good portion of the town is without a supermarket ever since A&P moved out of town last year. Manchester, similar to Newington in the retail arena, has five supermarkets, with a possibility in a sixth supermarket in the old Waldbaums space (I've heard Price Chopper was interested).

Does anyone think another supermarket in Newington is a realistic idea? Would it do well?

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by AmesNewington
I have a quick question regarding Newington CT (my hometown), and I'm looking for some insight, especially those in the Hartford CT area.

Newington already has Stop and Shop (near the New-Britain line), Shaw's (off the Turnpike), Price Chopper (on the Turnpike) and Stew Leonards (on the Berlin line). Would it be possible for another supermarket chain to have interest in opening in Newington? The reason I ask is because Newington Center which covers a good portion of the town is without a supermarket ever since A&P moved out of town last year. Manchester, similar to Newington in the retail arena, has five supermarkets, with a possibility in a sixth supermarket in the old Waldbaums space (I've heard Price Chopper was interested).

Does anyone think another supermarket in Newington is a realistic idea? Would it do well?

It is possible. And actually I heard Hannaford was interested in entering the Hartford market via the old Waldbaum's in Manchester. They could go into the old A&P in Newington if they want.

momof3

I think Newington could definetly handle another grocery store.  The location of the old Foodmart is near alot of senior apts, actually within walking distance.
Newingtons population is growing quite steadly and alot of new homes are being built. The S&S is close to the NB wH area and from where I live it is easier to head to Berlin.  
Because the location would be downtown Newington I think that people would benifit from having a store close to other things such as the library, resturants, banks, and other reasons people head downtown.

AmesNewington

QuoteOriginally posted by momof3
I think Newington could definetly handle another grocery store.  The location of the old Foodmart is near alot of senior apts, actually within walking distance.
Newingtons population is growing quite steadly and alot of new homes are being built. The S&S is close to the NB wH area and from where I live it is easier to head to Berlin.  
Because the location would be downtown Newington I think that people would benifit from having a store close to other things such as the library, resturants, banks, and other reasons people head downtown.

I'll never forget walking in Foodmart when they were closing and hearing the seniors upset that they wouldn't have a grocery store to walk to and shop at. After Foodmart closed, the town set up a new bus route for them to Stop and Shop. I feel that a store would do well here. Whatever you do, don't waste your time e-mailing stores suggesting they open, because for one, they will always say "not at this time" and secondly, they wouldn't say anything for business reasons. I've e-mailed Geissler's, Big Y, and Shop Rite, and they all have said the same thing. But it doesn't mean that they wouldn't come to town. I e-mailed Dollar Tree and they said they weren't coming to Newington, and they're here today. So you never know.

momof3

I heard that as well that they have set up busing for the seniors.  Still I think that they would shop a store in the plaza, On nice days just to take a walk and get out.
I like Big Y so that would be cool if they came, they have good buy 1 get 2 free sales.

TRU7536

Dont forget Aldi on the Berlin Turnpike! So, theirs 5 food stores in Newington.  I dont think the Center needs a food store, rather something big that will draw people to Downtown newington and that crappy plaza. Why not a Marshalls or soemthing big like that, maybe a Burlington Coat Factory?

momof3

Sincer were talking non grocery, How about Christmas tree shop?????

Joeg

I think it would be great to get Shop Rite to come back to town.  I don't think Newington can support two Price Choppers.  Since the likelyhood of the West Hartford CT Shaws will be closing(Wal-Mart in Hartford is going to be a supercenter, opening early next year) Newington Shaws may also be closing.  Big Y will be to expensive to the downtown Newington area.  The people in the downtown area deserve a FULL service supermarket, not a Price Rite, Sav a lot etc etc.

AmesNewington

I'm VERY worried about the Newington Shaw's. I can see them closing soon at this point. It just seems that they (like the Newington Foodmart) didn't find a need to keep their business in the "Newington loop". Shaw's is beginning to remind me of Foodmart now. They haven't updated their store in a long time. It looks old and tired. It's a shame. I remember shopping here from the year it opened with the Food Court. The store director seems to care about her customers. She even wrote a letter to customers asking for suggestions to make the store the best it could be. As far as the West Hartford Shaws is concerned, I heard they remodeled that store and it was doing well. I guess anything can happen. If you're not Stop and Shop in Connecticut, you're basically a "sink or swim" operation. Grocery chains like A&P and Shaw's are more successful along the shoreline it seems. I like variety and Central CT is overrun by Stop and Shops and Wal Marts.

If the Newington Shaw's were to close, I hope it's not replaced by another supermarket. I think it wouldn't be anyway. momof3's mentioned Christmas Tree Shop. They would fit well with Bob's, Petco, Michaels and the like in that plaza. They would do well there. Then, bring a supermarket to Lowrey Place (ShopRite or Geisslers are a hopeful). Newington is growing so much, there are no excuses for empty storefronts.

Joeg: ShopRite used to be in Newington?

Joeg

Yes!!  There were in a plaza off route 173.  It was an old Finast that closed down and was taken over by Shop Rite(back then they were called "Motts Shop Rite" owned by the Mott Family)  Shop Rite used to be all over the state.

At one time, they were state wide!!  Locations in:

Enfield
Hartford
Windsor
Manchester(2)
West Hartford
Newington
New Britain(in the Wal Mart plaza on Slater Rd)
Middletown
Wethersfield (now Price Rite)
Willimantic
Groton
Branford
Milford
East Haven
Hamden( on Dixwell Ave)
North Haven
Bridgeport
Torrington(now Price Rite)
Southington(now TJ Maxx?)
Derby

I am sure I am forgeting a town along the way LOL!!

As you know, things in the supermarket business is very competive.  Back in the 80's there were so many supermarkets in Connecticut, it keep grocery prices low.

Now without competion, look what happens.

AmesNewington, what is the status with your store, and A&P??

Any news on remodels for A&P in Connecticut?

AmesNewington

Let's just say I have immense job security at the West Hartford Waldbaum's. They of course remodeled the store last year in to Waldbaum's Fresh. The store gets customers from out of state that come to stock up on Kosher Foods. This store is going nowhere. A&P is supposedly doing well at the moment, after acquiring Pathmark. They are heavily focused on converting many Pathmarks to their new Sav-A-Center concept. They will continue converting the existing A&P banner stores in to Fresh markets or discount outlets, but other than that, I'm not sure of their overall plan.

The Food Emporium (A&P banner) in Greenwich converted to A&P Fresh early this year and A&P Super Foodmart in Branford converted to A&P Fresh. Both locations are impressive if you take an online tour. If A&P were to continue the Fresh remodels in CT, I'd predict Middletown will be next because of the new Shop Rite and upgraded Stop and Shop. Besides the A&Ps in Berlin, West Hartford and Middletown, every other A&P store is along the shore.

Joeg: Did the vendor you talked to know anything about the West Hartford and Newington Shaw's stores? Have you talked to him/her recently.

Joeg

I talked to the vendor today(sorry, I can't say what company he works for)  He said the have closed the pharmacy in West Hartford Shaws and to cut back on inventory.  We did not talk about Newington.  

On another note, he did mention that Price Chopper is looking at the old Manchester Foodmart on Tolland Turnpike(Hannaford is also said to be looking at that location also)
and are/will be building new stores in Storrs and Stonington CT.

My thoughts are that Hannaford may by the all the Shaw's in Connecticut  and rebanner them as Hannafords.  Just my opinon only!!

momof3

I do like Newington Shaws, though I have not been there lateley and Chris Newington Ames said it was pretty messy.   I am a pretty retro shopeer and hate anything that is new, so when  a store closes I realy feel bad.  They do have good sales and I have friends that shop there regualary.

AmesNewington

I'm like you momof3! I prefer Foodmart and Shaw's over Stop and Shop and Price Chopper. Shaw's is a decent store, although it seems like they are giving up. I think in my lifetime after all the stores my family shopped at over the years (many of them), we shopped at Shaw's for longer periods of time. As a matter of fact, before I got my discount card for Foodmart, we shopped at Shaw's every week. We got to know a lot of the employees, who are all nice people. It's a small, easy store to shop in, but still big enough to hold everything. I hope they were planning on remodeling, but with the way things happen these days, next time I go there, they will probably be clearing out the store. I'd be surprised if they were to stay open. If the New Britain Shaw's closed, any one of the remaining stores has an equal chance as well.

Marc82

NB Shaws did close. On 10/28/06 the same days Southington, Bridgeport, and Glastonbury did.

AmesNewington

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc82
NB Shaws did close. On 10/28/06 the same days Southington, Bridgeport, and Glastonbury did.

I know NB closed. I just meant that since the NB Shaw's was a victim of closure, then any other location has a chance of closing.

standa

I remember years ago there was a Greenfields supermarket in Newington (near the current Walmart).  Is anyone familiar with it?

Joeg

Yes I remember them! That was and old Stop and Save/Warehouse Foods store.   Warehouse Foods was pretty big in the mid 70's being the only discount supermarket at that time.  They had stores all over the state.

One store in West Haven CT opened in 1981, and did a million dollars opening week!!!

Does any one remember this old chain??

standa

QuoteOriginally posted by Joeg
Yes I remember them! That was and old Stop and Save/Warehouse Foods store.   Warehouse Foods was pretty big in the mid 70's being the only discount supermarket at that time.  They had stores all over the state.

One store in West Haven CT opened in 1981, and did a million dollars opening week!!!

I went a few times to the Warehouse Foods in West Haven  before it became Greenfields.

JimSawhill

QuoteOriginally posted by Joeg

Greenfield had a store in East Hartford it was in the old East Hartford Plaza on Main Street. (It was first a FoodMart, then Waldbaums, then Greenfield's, then Edwards then it was torn down to expand Coke's bottling plant!

JimSawhill

QuoteOriginally posted by standa
I remember years ago there was a Greenfields supermarket in Newington (near the current Walmart).  Is anyone familiar with it?

It is where Staples is now...

JimSawhill

Quote from: Joeg on November 06, 2008, 06:17:42 PM
Yes!!  There were in a plaza off route 173.  It was an old Finast that closed down and was taken over by Shop Rite(back then they were called "Motts Shop Rite" owned by the Mott Family)  Shop Rite used to be all over the state.

At one time, they were state wide!!  Locations in:

Enfield
Hartford
Windsor
Manchester(2)
West Hartford
Newington
New Britain(in the Wal Mart plaza on Slater Rd)
Middletown
Wethersfield (now Price Rite)
Willimantic
Groton
Branford
Milford
East Haven
Hamden( on Dixwell Ave)
North Haven
Bridgeport
Torrington(now Price Rite)
Southington(now TJ Maxx?)
Derby

I am sure I am forgeting a town along the way LOL!!

As you know, things in the supermarket business is very competive.  Back in the 80's there were so many supermarkets in Connecticut, it keep grocery prices low.

Now without competion, look what happens.

AmesNewington, what is the status with your store, and A&P??

Any news on remodels for A&P in Connecticut?

Where was the Mott's in Hartford?  And the Mott's in Enfield? Does anyone know??

Joeg

The Motts Shoprite in Hartford was located on Albany Ave, and the one in Enfield was located in the State Line Plaza.  They also had a store in Wilson{Windsor} CT.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Joeg on July 05, 2015, 05:06:21 AM
The Motts Shoprite in Hartford was located on Albany Ave, and the one in Enfield was located in the State Line Plaza.  They also had a store in Wilson{Windsor} CT.

The one in Wilson was a Bob's Furniture, last I checked. State Line Plaza... what is there now?? I guess Hartford was burned...am I correct??

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: JimSawhill on July 06, 2015, 07:07:45 PM
The one in Wilson was a Bob's Furniture, last I checked. State Line Plaza... what is there now?? I guess Hartford was burned...am I correct??

Bob's Furniture is no longer in Wilson. (Windsor).

Here's a link to The Freshwater Stateline Plaza in Enfield. There's a Dicks, PC Richards, COSTCO, and an oversized Dollar Tree there.

http://brixmor.propertycapsule.com/cre/commercial-real-estate-listings/Enfield/CT/freshwater-stateline-plaza/#plans

JimSawhill

Quote from: Marc B on July 06, 2015, 08:14:02 PM
Quote from: JimSawhill on July 06, 2015, 07:07:45 PM

Bob's Furniture is no longer in Wilson. (Windsor).

Here's a link to The Freshwater Stateline Plaza in Enfield. There's a Dicks, PC Richards, COSTCO, and an oversized Dollar Tree there.

http://brixmor.propertycapsule.com/cre/commercial-real-estate-listings/Enfield/CT/freshwater-stateline-plaza/#plans

When did they leave Wilson... the Motts looked like an oversized Quonset hut. What is there now? Down the road was a Topps/Food Mart. I forgot what is in it, but I believe it is a decorating center.

Joeg

I think they left the Wilson/Windsor area in the late 70's?  They were the first real "supermarket" in that area when they opened in 1955/56.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Joeg on July 10, 2015, 06:45:15 AM
I think they left the Wilson/Windsor area in the late 70's?  They were the first real "supermarket" in that area when they opened in 1955/56.

I'm talking about Bob's..Also is the DQ still in Wilson... it was a drive in style... (The old fashioned DQ)

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: JimSawhill on July 11, 2015, 11:15:37 PM
Quote from: Joeg on July 10, 2015, 06:45:15 AM

I'm talking about Bob's..Also is the DQ still in Wilson... it was a drive in style... (The old fashioned DQ)

Bob's in Windsor closed in 99 and was supposed to become a church.

From The Hartford Courant August 9, 1999

OUT WITH THE SOFAS AND IN WITH THE PEWS FURNITURE STORE PLANS TO MOVE; CHURCH MAY TAKE ITS PLACE AT SITE: [
Hall, Lizabeth; Courant Staff Writer. Hartford Courant 09 Aug 1999: B1.

Bob's Discount Furniture is leaving its Windsor Avenue store, and its place is likely to be taken by a church from Hartford.

Hopewell Baptist Church, now at 265 Enfield St., has already received approval by the planning and zoning commission to occupy the 35,000-square-foot building at 280 Windsor Ave. in the town's Wilson section.

At town hall Tuesday night, church leaders will attempt to get approval of plans to retrofit the building to seat 900 parishioners. Design plans at town hall include stone columns, a portico and a glass-steeple topped by a brass cross.

Bob Kaufman, owner of the Bob's chain, said he is closing the Windsor store next month and opening a new store in a former carpet shop on the Avon-Simsbury line on Route 44. He said the Windsor store, the second one he opened, has seen the lowest growth in annual sales of his 15 stores. He attributes its lagging performance to the construction of I-291, allowing customers to bypass the Windsor site and shop at store-studded Buckland Hills in Manchester, where another Bob's is located.

Although Kaufman intended to leave Windsor, he said his move was precipitated by the church's interest.

"They've been looking at the store for some time," he said. "Frankly, that's one of the things that moved us along. Obviously, a church is a big deal. We knew the church was interested and we indicated our willingness to cooperate. I started looking at alternate locations and, when this one showed up in Avon/Simsbury, it was a natural move for us."

Richard Case, a lawyer representing the church, said the church has a pending deal to buy the store from its owner, Hirschfeld Properties in West Hartford, once it obtains all necessary approvals. Case declined to discuss the purchase price or the anticipated cost of construction.