Shop Rite

Started by Caldor1999, April 08, 2005, 02:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jstar1994

Shoprite will most likely not move into Berlin, along with most grocery store chains. I emailed OSJL real estate and the way grocery stores look at potential new locations is different. Berlin and Newington are considered one geographic area and Middletown/Cromwell are considered another. Since Newington is over groceries, it basically kills Berlin's chance of getting a new grocery store in Webster Sq Plaza, and possibly the turnpike.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Jstar1994 on January 30, 2018, 10:40:17 AM
Shoprite will most likely not move into Berlin, along with most grocery store chains. I emailed OSJL real estate and the way grocery stores look at potential new locations is different. Berlin and Newington are considered one geographic area and Middletown/Cromwell are considered another. Since Newington is over groceries, it basically kills Berlin's chance of getting a new grocery store in Webster Sq Plaza, and possibly the turnpike.

You never know. Plus, who knows how long Price Chopper will be around and if the Stop and Shop in the old Shaws will be around for much longer (maybe they'll close it but keep the lease).

nysw3636

Starting 3/4/18, Shoprite New Paltz will no longer double coupons. Face value only, according to signs at all registers. 

BillyGr

Quote from: nysw3636 on February 24, 2018, 04:55:27 PM
Starting 3/4/18, Shoprite New Paltz will no longer double coupons. Face value only, according to signs at all registers. 

It will be interesting to see if that spreads to other spots or not - it may be just that one due to only having Tops nearby (and their financial problems) so no one else locally offering that.  Would be a bit more difficult to do this in many of their areas as they have competitors that offer it.

Joeg

But I think most people would like lower prices than gas discounts, double coupons etc.  Remember the old days when grand openings of supermarkets were real grand openings?

JimSawhill

Quote from: nysw3636 on February 24, 2018, 04:55:27 PM

In Tampa,  there's no supermarket that does double coupons...

AmesNewington

While shopping at the Bristol, CT location a few months ago, I noticed they were carrying the Top Care brand from C&S. This week, I noticed a number of price tags in the Health and Beauty aisle mention they are introducing the brand permanently. For now, they have replaced pain relievers, cough drops and other pharmacy items, but nothing else. I'm guessing they are trying to save money by eliminating their own products and just use a well known generic option. Was quite surprising as you can find Top Care in nearly all grocery stores in the area except Stop and Shop. I wonder if ShopRite will ever replace other lines of merchandise with C&S associated brands such as Academix, Electrix, etc in the grocery aisles. They will probably not get Full Circle products as Wakefern just rolled out Wholesome Pantry.

Scrabbleship

Quote from: AmesNewington on March 18, 2018, 02:29:46 PM
While shopping at the Bristol, CT location a few months ago, I noticed they were carrying the Top Care brand from C&S. This week, I noticed a number of price tags in the Health and Beauty aisle mention they are introducing the brand permanently. For now, they have replaced pain relievers, cough drops and other pharmacy items, but nothing else. I'm guessing they are trying to save money by eliminating their own products and just use a well known generic option. Was quite surprising as you can find Top Care in nearly all grocery stores in the area except Stop and Shop. I wonder if ShopRite will ever replace other lines of merchandise with C&S associated brands such as Academix, Electrix, etc in the grocery aisles. They will probably not get Full Circle products as Wakefern just rolled out Wholesome Pantry.

I wonder if they're joining Topco and are using their expertise with their own private label brands to help out behind the scenes while only carrying Top Care (a la Wegmans) or are picking up Top Care to fill in a few HBC holes while not joining (a la Market Basket).

AmesNewington

Quote from: Scrabbleship on March 19, 2018, 09:39:22 AM
Quote from: AmesNewington on March 18, 2018, 02:29:46 PM

I'm not sure what their plans are. I was a bit surprised though. They even redesigned some ShopRite HBC labels on certain items not too long ago. Perhaps they are not replacing everything. I know the SR brand as a whole seems to be getting a redesign. The design they have had is close to 15 years old when they changed the logo back in 2003. The old design looks like it was created on an old computer program. It's time for a change.

I wonder if they're joining Topco and are using their expertise with their own private label brands to help out behind the scenes while only carrying Top Care (a la Wegmans) or are picking up Top Care to fill in a few HBC holes while not joining (a la Market Basket).

BillyGr

This was on the bottom of a receipt from yesterday (3/18):

"ShopRite Health & Beauty Care Items
are NOW TopCare
A NEW QUALITY BRAND
At affordable prices and lab tested
to be as effective as
national brands!!"

So it looks like all the health & beauty items will switch, but doesn't indicate anything else.  Maybe it's just easier to get these items from another source?

MikeRa

A few week ago, Brown's Chef Markets started construction of the replacement ShopRite of Bensalem, PA store.  It will be at the site of the old J. M. Fields/Kmart location.  The Fields/Kmart building is being demolished and the new store will be built.  New store is expected to open in 2019
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

giantsfan2016

I asked my friend who works in the Health and Beauty section at the Southington ShopRite and she said the TopCare change over is chain wide.

EddieJ1984

Quote from: MikeRa on March 21, 2018, 03:21:13 PM
A few week ago, Brown's Chef Markets started construction of the replacement ShopRite of Bensalem, PA store.  It will be at the site of the old J. M. Fields/Kmart location.  The Fields/Kmart building is being demolished and the new store will be built.  New store is expected to open in 2019

Oh that is nice to hear. That will be a good location for them on Street Rd, good to see something happened to that former Kmart location, tho the old arch facade was cool from J.M. Fields.

standa

Joeg

FINALLY!!!! When do they expect to open Fall? Winter 2018??

AmesNewington

Quote from: standa on April 13, 2018, 04:36:21 PM
The proposed Cromwell, CT Shoprite has signed a lease.

http://www.theprotogroup.com/news/april-2018-transactions/

In one way this is great news, and in another, I suppose this squashes any chance of Berlin ever getting a ShopRite. Looking at Webster Square Shopping Center/Ocean State Plaza right now, it is clear that it will remain in shambles unless a large tenant comes in. The parking lot looks like a tornado went through it.

Another question I have is what will become of PriceRite down the road from the future ShopRite? Cromwell isn't that large and would it be able to support both stores?

Joeg

The Shoprite of Cromwell CT will be about 69,000 feet and will include a Shoprite from Home.  Also, I heard they will have 50 SR from home vans to start off with.  The Price Rite in Cromwell will probable close(?) and the employees shifted over to the new store??

standa

Quote from: Joeg on April 15, 2018, 11:14:24 AM
The Shoprite of Cromwell CT will be about 69,000 feet and will include a Shoprite from Home.  Also, I heard they will have 50 SR from home vans to start off with.  The Price Rite in Cromwell will probable close(?) and the employees shifted over to the new store??

Maybe the Pricerite will stay open too. In Hamden, CT the Shoprite and Pricerite stores are very close to each other.

MikeRa

Quote from: EddieJ1984 on March 25, 2018, 10:43:09 AM
Quote from: MikeRa on March 21, 2018, 03:21:13 PM

Oh that is nice to hear. That will be a good location for them on Street Rd, good to see something happened to that former Kmart location, tho the old arch facade was cool from J.M. Fields.
I passed by the J. M. Fields/Kmart building this past Saturday, and from the outside it doesn't look like any work is being done.  I would assume they have to take out any asbestos that was in the building when Food Fair built the J. M. Fields/Pantry Pride combo before they tear it down.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

AmesNewington

I drove by the site of the future ShopRite in Cromwell, CT and a huge fence is blocking off access to the former Xpect Discount and a portion of the former Kmart space. I'm guessing the fenced off portion is the amount of space ShopRite will be taking. So, it looks to be the entire Xpect space and up to the entrance/exit doors of Kmart. The remaining portion of Kmart will not be used and not sure what will go there. I've heard possibly a TJX owned store like Marshalls.

Joeg

It looks like it may open late fall/winter 2018.  I wonder if the Cromwell Stop and Shop is going to get remodeled.

giantsfan2016

Quote from: Joeg on May 01, 2018, 02:53:31 PM
It looks like it may open late fall/winter 2018.  I wonder if the Cromwell Stop and Shop is going to get remodeled.

It would be a smart thing to do especially since it's directly across the street. In 2010 they remodeled Southington in preparation for ShopRite and BJs arrival in town. ShopRite and BJs opened within days of each other.

Some Stop and Shops are/have remodeled.

Farmington Ave in Bristol did some minor remodeling  including the restrooms.

Southington did a major overhaul. Not only did they paint and put up new signage inside, they moved merchandise around, and I think some of the aisles are a bit narrower. What they need to do now is paint the exterior. The grey paint on the 25 year old store is starting to peel.

I believe someone told me Middletown is remodeling.

A couple others have remodeled.

Pine Street in Bristol (Forestville) needs a complete remodel. The 20 year old store, where I used to work is definitely showing its age. The last major remodel was in 2010 I believe. I don't know if corporate would remodel the store though. It's a lower volume store. The customers of the store did donate 335 pounds of food during the recent NBC Connecticut/Telemundo Connecticut Food Drive that was held at every Stop and Shop in the state.

Bdubs

Quote from: Joeg on May 01, 2018, 02:53:31 PM
Cromwell started a remodel in Feb or March. Only a couple of years ago was it revamped, but I’m sure the threat of Shop Rite convinced them to refresh once again.
That store is huge, probably one of the biggest Stop & Shops in CT. When Bradlees closed, Stop&Shop absorbed a lot of the Bradlees space.

giantsfan2016

ShopRite is opening 3 more stores on Long Island in locations formerly occupied by chains owned by A&P. 2 were Waldbaum's and the 3rd was a Pathmark.

FROM NEWSDAY.COM

ShopRite plans to open 3 more outlets in former A&P-owned stores
By Tory N. Parrish
tory.parrish@newsday.com

ShopRite plans by early next year to have filled three more grocery store spaces on Long Island that were left vacant by A&P’s bankruptcy.

More than 650 full- and part-time workers will be hired for ShopRite stores that will open in leased spaces in Lake Ronkonkoma by this summer, Riverhead this fall and Port Jefferson Station by early 2019, spokeswoman Karen O’Shea said.

“We are excited to bring new, state-of-the-art supermarkets to these latest locations,” she said.

The Riverhead and Lake Ronkonkoma spaces were former Waldbaum’s stores and the Port Jefferson space used to be a Pathmark. 

The Lake Ronkonkoma store was among 14 in four states â€" six of them were on Long Island â€" that their Montvale, New Jersey-based parent company, Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Co., closed as it planned to emerge from Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in 2012.

The Riverhead and Port Jefferson Station locations were among 51 grocery stores on Long Island that closed after A&P filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection again in 2015.

In addition to the three new Long Island stores planned, ShopRite owners have taken over four other former Pathmark or Waldbaum’s locations on Long Island since 2016.

The new ShopRites on Long Island will join 250 others in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Delaware, Pennsylvania and Maryland that are owned and operated by 50 member companies under a cooperative, Wakefern Food Corp. in Keasbey, New Jersey.

ShopRite’s 13 stores on Long Island last year had estimated sales of $803.7 million, ranking second in market share â€" 8.35 percent â€" among retailers that sold groceries, including drugstores and warehouse clubs, according to Food Trade News, a Columbia, Maryland-based publication.

Stop & Shop ranked first, with 21.6 percent of the market on Long Island, and had estimated sales of $2.08 billion. Headquartered in Quincy, Massachusetts, that regional chain has 411 stores in five states, including 50 on Long Island.

ShopRite is positioned to benefit from an expansion because it is a low-price leader and Long Island is “under stored,” especially on the North and South forks of eastern Suffolk, said retail expert Burt Flickinger III, who founded the Manhattan-based consulting firm Strategic Resource Group and has studied Long Island retail.

Not only is it difficult to get building permits on the Island, but the high taxes and cost of living mean people of all income levels are spurred to shop where they can save money, he said.

“Whether people are poor on Long Island or better off, the poor people need a bargain and the working people who have solid jobs still want a bargain,” Flickinger said.

The three new ShopRite locations will be full-service grocery stores in completely renovated spaces, O’Shea said.

At the Port Jefferson Station location, which is on Nesconset Highway in the Station Plaza shopping center, the building size will be increased by about 40 percent to roughly 68,000 square feet.

“The store will include a wide selection of organic, natural and prepared foods, along with an in-store cafe,” O’Shea said.

The Lake Ronkonkoma store will occupy a 45,000-square-foot space on Portion Road in the Lake Shore Plaza shopping center.

Both the Port Jefferson Station and Lake Ronkonkoma stores will have bakery, floral and meat departments. The Port Jefferson Station store also will have an on-site dietitian and offer the online ShopRite from Home service.

The Port Jefferson Station and Lake Ronkonkoma stores are owned by the Gallagher family, as well as a location in Selden.

The roughly 60,000-square-foot store on Old Country Road in Riverhead Centre will “include a variety of fresh prepared foods along with a cafe, pizzeria, international foods aisle and online ShopRite From Home service,” O’Shea said.

It will be run by the Thompson family, which also operates ShopRites in Deer Park and Uniondale.

ShopRite needs a building permit to begin renovation work in Riverhead, and the application is under review by the town, said Brad Hammond, chief building inspector for Riverhead.

AmesNewington

ShopRite in Bristol, CT discontinued their coffee bar this past week. It was a regular spot for many. They are also apparently moving their ShopRite from Home department to the former dollar store next to ShopRite. It is currently in back of the dollar store space. I really don't know how they will reconstruct the space, but knowing how this store has looked for years, I doubt they will do any major facelift of the store. This is the oldest supermarket in the area I can think of. The flooring is so out of date. Any improvement over the years has been piecemeal. The coffee bar area will just be more grocery. I think now is the time for a remodel. The store is strangely laid out with displays and aisles very random. For example, their paper towel aisle is so big they stock the middle of the aisle with displays, making it difficult to push your cart through one side of the aisle. The First Aid portion of the health and beauty dept is now in front of the pharmacy in the produce area far from the dept itself. Also, the registers and aisles do not face the front of the store, like most. We'll have to see if the coffee bar closure and SRFH relocation will prompt a remodel that's much needed.

giantsfan2016

If the rumor about the Walmart up the road is true, they should remodel. The rumor is Walmart is going to expand sometime in the next 6-18 months.

giantsfan2016

There are unconfirmed rumors that I have heard from a few different people that the ShopRite in West Hartford, CT will be closing by the end of 2018. Is it true? Could be. I hear the store is not making money. I hear they're in a dispute with their landlord. And I hear the landlord may already have a tenant lined up for the space that is not a grocery store.

The space is 70,000 square feet. There aren't retailers that size anymore. Maybe they will divided the space. It will have to fit in with the demographics of Hartford as the Hartford townline is literally right there. I'm thinking they can divide the space and put in a Big Lots, Ocean State Job Lot, or Shopper's World.

Bdubs

Quote from: Brammy on June 11, 2018, 09:01:34 PM
There are unconfirmed rumors that I have heard from a few different people that the ShopRite in West Hartford, CT will be closing by the end of 2018. Is it true? Could be. I hear the store is not making money. I hear they're in a dispute with their landlord. And I hear the landlord may already have a tenant lined up for the space that is not a grocery store.

The space is 70,000 square feet. There aren't retailers that size anymore. Maybe they will divided the space. It will have to fit in with the demographics of Hartford as the Hartford townline is literally right there. I'm thinking they can divide the space and put in a Big Lots, Ocean State Job Lot, or Shopper's World.
Is that the old Shaw’s/Edwards? I haven’t been out that way in years, long before it became a Shop Rite.

giantsfan2016

Quote from: Bdubs on June 17, 2018, 09:06:00 PM
Is that the old Shaw’s/Edwards? I haven’t been out that way in years, long before it became a Shop Rite.

Yes.

giantsfan2016