Shop Rite

Started by Caldor1999, April 08, 2005, 02:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joeg

Xpect discount was an old Grand Union Family Market that opened around 1973 or 74.  When is the new Shoprite in Cromwell going to open? Are they going to have Shoprite from Home?  I did not hear of any Shoprite's in CT closing, in fact I think they want to expand even more in the state (maybe some Price Chopper locations?) If anything, they would convert to corporate stores, I don't think they would leave the state.

giantsfan2016

Quote from: Joeg on May 21, 2017, 01:12:07 PM
Xpect discount was an old Grand Union Family Market that opened around 1973 or 74.  When is the new Shoprite in Cromwell going to open? Are they going to have Shoprite from Home?  I did not hear of any Shoprite's in CT closing, in fact I think they want to expand even more in the state (maybe some Price Chopper locations?) If anything, they would convert to corporate stores, I don't think they would leave the state.

Hi Joe. Last I heard is that they want to be open by the end of 2017. It's going to be a smaller sized store. Around 54,000 or 55,000 square feet. It's also going to be oddly shaped seeing how they're taking the entire former Xpect store plus round 20,000 from the former KMART Space. The former KMART is much deeper than the former Xpect. See the real estate company's map on page 3 of the link below.

http://x.lnimg.com/attachments/486CFC70-87A0-493B-960F-C7859F17569D.pdf

AmesNewington

Quote from: Joeg on May 21, 2017, 01:12:07 PM

I'm hoping ShopRite expands further in CT. The Newington/Berlin area needs one, given that Stop and Shop and Price Chopper are the only full service supermarkets in the area. Best Market is a smaller market, and Aldi and Stews are quite different kinds of food stores. I think Wakefern would benefit from having corporate run stores.

Joeg

Closing the West Haven store because it is to close to the Orange store?? Then there opening one in Cromwell CT.

giantsfan2016

Channel 3 says ShopRite's lease is up soon.

giantsfan2016

Quote from: Joeg on June 01, 2017, 03:52:23 PM
Closing the West Haven store because it is to close to the Orange store?? Then there opening one in Cromwell CT.

I sent this story to a friend on Facebook who lives in West Haven. One of her friends responded that University of New Haven which is nearby is buying the property to expand.

standa

Quote from: Brammy on June 02, 2017, 04:52:37 AM

I sent this story to a friend on Facebook who lives in West Haven. One of her friends responded that University of New Haven which is nearby is buying the property to expand.

Would the Railroad Salvage store be closing too?

JimSawhill

Quote from: standa on June 02, 2017, 07:51:14 AM
Quote from: Brammy on June 02, 2017, 04:52:37 AM

Would the Railroad Salvage store be closing too?

I guess Railroad Salvage is the last store in the chain...

AmesNewington

There is an ad for the new ShopRite coming soon in Cromwell, CT for management positions. I don't think any work has begun with the building. At least from the highway, you could see the Xpect sign still up. Can't wait to find out when they will open next year.

Joeg

Is the Shoprite of Cromwell CT still on track to open this year??

AmesNewington

Quote from: Joeg on September 02, 2017, 05:08:51 AM
Is the Shoprite of Cromwell CT still on track to open this year??

Probably not this year. From what I could see from Route 9/Exit 19, the Xpect Discount sign is still on the building as of a few weeks ago and that's where most of the store will be. It looked rather dark inside the building too from that point. Also no article in any newspaper about a "groundbreaking" like the Garafalo family had for their East Haven store. I haven't actually been in the plaza itself since April, so maybe they've been working inside. They made Kmart get out rather quick. I thought ShopRite would come in and start renovations right away.

Chuck E. Cheese

As of today (09/03/17), there's no work being done on the Cromwell Plaza as far as I can see from the road. I didn't go up close, so maybe they are doing some indoors stuff..

JJBers

Quote from: Patrick Boots CEC on September 03, 2017, 04:16:55 PM
As of today (09/03/17), there's no work being done on the Cromwell Plaza as far as I can see from the road. I didn't go up close, so maybe they are doing some indoors stuff..
Went there yesterday, no work inside or outside at all.
My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

BillyGr

Quote from: retailisking on February 21, 2017, 07:04:57 PM
ShopRite is coming to North Greenbush, NY
http://www.timesunion.com/business/article/Store-plan-moves-ahead-10929836.php#photo-7851338

This location (at 55,000 Square Feet, since there were questions about SR sizes in other postings) is scheduled to open on Sunday, December 10th.

JJBers

I wonder if they'll ever reenter the Willimantic, CT market. They left back in the early-1990's and could come back at any time. It wouldn't even be the most eastern store, with that going to New London's location. They could either take over the former Sears Hardware in North Windham, or build a new location on CT 195 or CT 66.
My Flickr

standa

Quote from: JJBers on November 29, 2017, 04:11:27 PM
I wonder if they'll ever reenter the Willimantic, CT market. They left back in the early-1990's and could come back at any time. It wouldn't even be the most eastern store, with that going to New London's location. They could either take over the former Sears Hardware in North Windham, or build a new location on CT 195 or CT 66.

Where was the Shoprite located in Williamantic, CT market? What is there now?

JJBers

Quote from: standa on November 29, 2017, 06:35:45 PM
Quote from: JJBers on November 29, 2017, 04:11:27 PM

Where was the Shoprite located in Williamantic, CT market? What is there now?
It was located in the Willimantic Plaza on CT 32, where the JCPenney was. Currently it's a Ocean State Job Lot, with the JCPenney being a BJ's Warehouse.
My Flickr

Joeg

When o when is the Shoprite in Cromwell CT going to open?? Nothing on the internet about this store, is there going to be one? Has the deal been dropped??

giantsfan2016

AHOLD is suing them and the town of Cromwell.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Brammy on January 22, 2018, 04:58:40 PM

Wow. They are not team players at all. What they are doing should be illegal. Taking every available property suited for a supermarket and trying to keep a chain out is wrong. I was going to say the Garafalo Family can come to Berlin or Newington instead if Cromwell doesn't pan out (but perhaps it will eventually). I always thought the old Kmart and Xpect would be better as a Target or Kohls. The town only has Walmart as a department store option.

giantsfan2016

I don't know why it hasn't been in the papers. (Maybe it's not 100% official yet). Someone I know who works for Stop & Shop told me. He likes his job and the people he works with, but doesn't always agree with what corporate does. He usually knows a lot about what's going on with the company, so I do believe what he told me.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Brammy on January 22, 2018, 04:58:40 PM

Why is A**Hole (oops I meant AHold) suing?

giantsfan2016

AHOLD is very anti competition. The Cromwell Stop and Shop is across the street from the old KMART/XPECT site where ShopRite wants to go.

Jstar1994

This isn't surprising at all. When A&P in Berlin closed, Stop and Shop bought the lease so that Big Y and Shoprite couldn't take over the lease. Now that Ocean State Job Lot owns the plaza, Shoprite could look at transforming a large amount of unused storefronts in Ocean State's plaza and get the plaza back to its glory days.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Jstar1994 on January 28, 2018, 09:01:32 AM
This isn't surprising at all. When A&P in Berlin closed, Stop and Shop bought the lease so that Big Y and Shoprite couldn't take over the lease. Now that Ocean State Job Lot owns the plaza, Shoprite could look at transforming a large amount of unused storefronts in Ocean State's plaza and get the plaza back to its glory days.

This is what I had hoped. But who knows if Stop and Shop is paying Job Lot to keep a grocery store out of the plaza. I had even heard Job Lot took the former Food Mart space because they didn't want a grocery store in the plaza. I may be wrong or maybe they changed their mind since they can't get anything else in there big enough. That big empty space between Aculer Furniture and Family Dollar is big enough for a grocery store. It can work. Family Dollar should move to Farmington Ave and either stay FD or turn in to a Dollar General. Berlin only has S&S now that Ferndale Market closed. The turnpike doesn't have viable grocery options besides Stews. Cromwell also has PriceRite so I'm not even sure why they'd want a SR down the road. Just my opinions.

Jstar1994

I don't think Berlin needs Family Dollar either. Dollar Tree opened and took over the dollar store market. Ocean State moved into the old A&P for the space since it is over twice the size and because that is the anchor spot in the plaza. They could easily build from the empty spot and even combine it with the old Ultimate Billiards and create a good supermarket. I think with the theater and OSJL, the grocery store would allow parents to bring their kids to the theater and get some errands done.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Jstar1994 on January 28, 2018, 03:30:18 PM
I don't think Berlin needs Family Dollar either. Dollar Tree opened and took over the dollar store market. Ocean State moved into the old A&P for the space since it is over twice the size and because that is the anchor spot in the plaza. They could easily build from the empty spot and even combine it with the old Ultimate Billiards and create a good supermarket. I think with the theater and OSJL, the grocery store would allow parents to bring their kids to the theater and get some errands done.

I have no idea why Family Dollar is still there with Dollar Tree. Especially since they are the same company. FD is always dead compared to DT. I like that DT. I've always said this little stretch should be a vital area for retail. I hope we can get something good in the middle of the plaza. I can even see a restaurant pad site on the property. The old Acura dealer building should go to Tasca's used truck division.

Joeg

Well, maybe the Garafalo Family will let Cromwell drop and open a Shoprite in Berlin CT??

AmesNewington

Quote from: Joeg on January 29, 2018, 04:42:37 PM
Well, maybe the Garafalo Family will let Cromwell drop and open a Shoprite in Berlin CT??

I feel that this would be a great win-win situation. The old Kmart/Xpect building really should be a Target. Cromwell needs another department store/clothing/housewares store, as does Middletown. Target can also have an expanded grocery section and pharmacy, which would fill the void Xpect left. Berlin needs a grocery store more. They have department stores (Walmart, Target and Kohl's) down the road in Newington. They only have one full service grocery store.