Shop Rite

Started by Caldor1999, April 08, 2005, 02:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoshAustin610

The Bethlehem store's probably not setting records, but it's doing decent business; the Lehigh Valley's so densely populated now that it's almost impossible for a supermarket to fail here.

BillyGr

Quote from: retailisking on October 02, 2015, 07:57:57 PM
ShopRite hasn't made much impact in the Capital District either. I wonder if they will stick around.

Seems like there are always quite a few people in there, even at what would be unusual times (like early on Sunday morning).  Plus they always have at least a couple people out shopping for the delivery service which, I would think, gets some business based on the fact that they offer it to places beyond the stores, some of which have little or no supermarket access (think parts of Rensselaer County outside of East Greenbush/Troy areas).

store215

Quote from: JoshAustin610 on October 03, 2015, 12:26:41 AM
The Bethlehem store's probably not setting records, but it's doing decent business; the Lehigh Valley's so densely populated now that it's almost impossible for a supermarket to fail here.
That's good to hear!

retailisking

Quote from: BillyGr on October 03, 2015, 01:04:54 PM
ShopRite hasn't made much impact in the Capital District either. I wonder if they will stick around.

Seems like there are always quite a few people in there, even at what would be unusual times (like early on Sunday morning).  Plus they always have at least a couple people out shopping for the delivery service which, I would think, gets some business based on the fact that they offer it to places beyond the stores, some of which have little or no supermarket access (think parts of Rensselaer County outside of East Greenbush/Troy areas).

I guess it's the Colonie location specifically that I was thinking of. Why do you think that part of Rensselaer County doesn't attract much interest from supermarket chains?

BillyGr

Quote from: retailisking on October 03, 2015, 11:25:44 PM
Quote from: BillyGr on October 03, 2015, 01:04:54 PM

Seems like there are always quite a few people in there, even at what would be unusual times (like early on Sunday morning).  Plus they always have at least a couple people out shopping for the delivery service which, I would think, gets some business based on the fact that they offer it to places beyond the stores, some of which have little or no supermarket access (think parts of Rensselaer County outside of East Greenbush/Troy areas).

I guess It's the Colonie location specifically that I was thinking of. Why do you think that part of Rensselaer County doesn't attract much interest from supermarket chains?

I assume it's just the ruralness (and lower population per area that goes with it).  There is still a small Tops (former GU) in Hoosick Falls, Hannaford (former independent) in West Sand Lake but beyond that about as much as you see is a Stewart's here & there.  If you check the ShopRite from Home for the Albany store you should see places as far as Stephentown listed (which is almost into MA at that point).

mjb1124

http://www.njbiz.com/article/20151019/NJBIZ01/151019818/13m-project-bringing-shoprite-to-south-plainfield

ShopRite will be building a brand-new store at the Golden Acres shopping center in South Plainfield NJ, on the site of what was briefly a Pathmark Sav-a-Center around the turn of the 2010s, and an *A&P* Sav-a-Center years up until the late '90s.   This probably won't be good news for Acme, who are taking over the current A&P across the street in November.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: mjb1124 on October 22, 2015, 05:45:38 PM
http://www.njbiz.com/article/20151019/NJBIZ01/151019818/13m-project-bringing-shoprite-to-south-plainfield

ShopRite will be building a brand-new store at the Golden Acres shopping center in South Plainfield NJ, on the site of what was briefly a Pathmark Sav-a-Center around the turn of the 2010s, and an *A&P* Sav-a-Center years up until the late '90s.   This probably won't be good news for Acme, who are taking over the current A&P across the street in November.

If you can't compete go out of business then. In Wallingford, Connecticut there is a Shoprite and a Walmart Supercenter side by side. Both are holding their own. And the Shaw's that was in the Shoprite was doing okay next to that Walmart Supercenter (even if they did less business than Shoprite currently does).

standa

Guess which CT ShopRite started out as a Waldbaums's Foodmart, then became an A&P Super Foodmart, then an Edwards, then a Shaw's, before becoming a ShopRite.

mixedday

I visited the new ShopRite in Burlington Twp. It was once a Kmart. I noticed that it sells liquor/beer in the middle of the store. There is no special checkout for liquor.

Has the NJ liquor laws for grocers changed?

One other law is the state only allows 2 stores per chain to be able to sell liquor. Fortunately for ShopRite: ShopRite being franchise owned by enables more than 2 ShopRites in the state to be able to sell liquor.

FitchMike26

Are you sure there was no separate checkout for the beer/liquor section?

Like you, I also thought that was part of the state law. Strange.

store215

Quote from: FitchMike26 on December 08, 2015, 09:13:49 PM
Are you sure there was no separate checkout for the beer/liquor section?

Like you, I also thought that was part of the state law. Strange.

Also related, it seems like Stores in NJ no longer have to mark if they have a Pharmacy inside as 'Pharmacy Dept.' on their outside signage. Must be a recent change...either that, or all these new A&P to Acme conversions are breaking the law.  ???

JimSawhill

Quote from: standa on November 09, 2015, 10:32:14 PM
Guess which CT ShopRite started out as a Waldbaums's Foodmart, then became an A&P Super Foodmart, then an Edwards, then a Shaw's, before becoming a ShopRite.

Is it the Clinton store?

Bdubs

Quote from: JimSawhill on December 17, 2015, 11:53:46 PM

Is it the Clinton store?

I was going to guess Clinton as well.

standa

Quote from: Bdubs on December 18, 2015, 06:18:37 AM

Is it the Clinton store?

Yes, you are right. It is the Clinton store.

AmesNewington

Quote from: standa on December 18, 2015, 09:15:35 AM

Is it the Clinton store?

I doubt the Clinton store ever was called A&P Super Foodmart. Maybe Super Foodmart. Stores weren't changed to A&P Super Foodmart until 2001 and I think Edwards was gone by then. I may be wrong, but many Shaws acquired Edwards stores in the mid-90s.

standa

Quote from: AmesNewington on December 18, 2015, 11:45:11 AM

Is it the Clinton store?

I doubt the Clinton store ever was called A&P Super Foodmart. Maybe Super Foodmart. Stores weren't changed to A&P Super Foodmart until 2001 and I think Edwards was gone by then. I may be wrong, but many Shaws acquired Edwards stores in the mid-90s.

Maybe the store was just called A&P Foodmart. I don't remember. See linked article about Clinton A&P becoming Edwards in 1995.

http://articles.courant.com/1995-04-27/business/9504270018_1_a-p-acquisition-supermarkets-edwards-super-food-stores

Bdubs

It wasn't even an Edwards for very long was it? When Ahold bought Stop & Shop it was somewhere around 95. Right across the street was the S&S, which became the reason that store became a Shaw's.

JimSawhill

Is it the Clinton store?

Ok, what's my prize?  😁

Joeg

Any news on when the Shoprite of Danbury and Orange CT stores will be opening??

JimSawhill

Quote from: Joeg on February 21, 2016, 01:30:52 PM
Any news on when the Shoprite of Danbury and Orange CT stores will be opening??

Where will those be located? Is the Danbury store the A&P? What is the Orange store?

Joeg

Yes, the new Shoprite of Danbury CT will be located in the old A&P, and the Shoprite of Orange CT will be located in the old Stop and Shop on Blue Hills Ave.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Joeg on March 27, 2016, 06:10:06 AM
Yes, the new Shoprite of Danbury CT will be located in the old A&P, and the Shoprite of Orange CT will be located in the old Stop and Shop on Blue Hills Ave.

Did Stop and Shop closed the Orange store, or did they move?

Joeg

Stop and Shop closed the Orange CT store in 2014.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Joeg on March 29, 2016, 12:09:46 PM
Stop and Shop closed the Orange CT store in 2014.

Thanks, I would love to see the old Shaw's in Vernon be a Shop-Rite.

nysw3636

Shop Rite Lagrangeville,NY(former A&P)will be opening soon. They have beer now, so Grand Opening should be within next 2 weeks...

MikeRa

Quote from: MikeRa on September 20, 2015, 12:38:02 AM
The Fresh Grocer of 56th Street in Philadelphia, PA is getting a Beer Garden.  it will be, AFAIK, the 4th Wakefern Food Corpoeration's location to sell beer in PA.  the other 3 locations that I know of are:

• ShopRite of Drexel Hill (Owner of the Fresh Grocer of 56th Street location)
  • ShopRite of Bensalem (Owned by Brown's Super Stores)
  • ShopRite of Fairless Hills (Owned by Brown's Super Stores)
Add to this list:

• The Fresh Grocer of Wyncote (Owned by Brown's Super Stores)
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

standa

giantsfan2016

Shoprite just opened a store last week in Brookhaven, Pennsylvania.

giantsfan2016

Quote from: ynkeesfn82 on July 05, 2014, 12:26:25 PM
Once they get all city approvals from the City of Milford Harry Garafalo hopes to break ground this summer on his replacement Shoprite store where the movie theater used to be. The new Shoprite will be 20% larger than the old one and will have a gas station.

This article talks about Hobby Lobby coming to town and other retail development in town including the new Shoprite.

http://www.nhregister.com/general-news/20140423/hobby-lobby-store-is-coming-to-milford

The new Shoprite of Milford finally opened in June 2016.

http://patch.com/connecticut/milford/milford-shoprite-location-opens-weekend-0