Shop Rite

Started by Caldor1999, April 08, 2005, 02:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_fife

shop rite waterbury ct up the road from the mall turned plaza and kmart on wolcott st

d_fife

shop rite in danbury (Brookfield) ct

d_fife

shop rite peekskill down the road from the new mohegan mall near circuit city.

d_fife

shop rite in new city ny

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
shop rite in new city ny

new city

d_fife

shop rite bedford hills ny (near mt. kisco or mount kisco)

Caldor1999

shop rite bedford hills ny (near mt. kisco or mount kisco)

that is located in beford hills but its kinda considred mount kisco that shop rite use to be a barkers theres also a vcant famley disocunt center store in taht shopping center along witha chace bank famley discount center is a small chair of stores lcoated in westchtser county
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

d_fife

the one in meriden Ct on the wallingford line

JimSawhill

QuoteOriginally posted by Rayco7030
ad

Wow, i remember that Store. That store, which is now an office building, and the Wethersfield store (now a price-rite) Had sloping rooflines. I loved that store.

JimS

JimSawhill

QuoteOriginally posted by TRU7536
Shop Rite still exsists? Their were alot of them in CT. It was my parents first Grocery store when they cam to this country back in the late 70's. Their was one in Newington, CT, it closed before i was born, lol, its now a Data Mail company. Also, their arent any around me where i live, i have seen some in NJ. Where do they exsist?

The old Mott's shop-Rite (now the DataMail company) was in a bad location. Now, Mott's used to be part of the Shop-Rite family, but they sold out to WAKEFERN. Mott's used to be headquartered on Ligget st in East Hartford.

JimS

JimSawhill

shop rite manchester ct across vacant kmart near east hartford line

Hmmm...

That store was opened as a PATHMARK in 1968. Until they remodeled in the 1990s, you could see the old red white and blue colors of Pathmark. That plaza surprised me because I would have thought the Kmart/Finast plaza would drive that plaza out.

JimS

Marc82

Cute Little Vintage Toy Shoprite Truck For Sale:

From this website: http://www.midwesttoys.com/test.html

Marc82

2 Toy Shoprite Trucks For Sale here: (numerous other store trucks there as well) http://tikestoybox.tripod.com/nylint.htm

Can't show pix cuz Tripod doesn't allow people to link images from their site.

BillyGr

Just saw the online ad for next week - it says at the top "Coming Soon - All NEW ShopRite of Poughkeepie at the South Hills Mall"

Wonder if this will be in the Price Chopper spot, or somewhere else.

Kind of funny, since they closed their store just down the road (next to what is now Kohl's) a few years back.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by BillyGr
Just saw the online ad for next week - it says at the top "Coming Soon - All NEW ShopRite of Poughkeepie at the South Hills Mall"

Wonder if this will be in the Price Chopper spot, or somewhere else.

Kind of funny, since they closed their store just down the road (next to what is now Kohl's) a few years back.

it is going where price chopper was.

Marc82

Rumor Alert:

Out of the total 3 rumors I posted on this message board today, this one seems the least likely of the 3 to happen.

The rumor is Shoprite will open a store in the former Shaw's Supermarket at 750 Queen Street in Southington. If they do this will be Shoprite's 2nd go around in Southington. Until sometime in the 80s they had a store in the Zarye's Plaza where TJ Maxx is now.

Marc82

Interesting. Once again I have heard a rumor that Shoprite will open a store in the former Shaw's at 750 Queen Street in Southington. Two Shaw's employees told me this. If this is the case I predict that Shoprite won't open until May 2007 at the earliest. The building needs lots of work. Naturally if this happens progress pictures will appear on my website.

webcookie

This used to be a Shoprite (Rt. 211 E - Middletown, NY)

Dolson Ave. ShopRite (Middletown, NY)
Before there was Wal-Mart...
Caldor, Zayre, Woolworth, Bradlees, K-Mart, & Ames ruled the Earth.

JimSawhill

QuoteOriginally posted by webcookie
This used to be a Shoprite (Rt. 211 E - Middletown, NY)

Wow! That looks like the old Windsor, CT Shop-Rite building!  It had the same unique style. The Windsor Store (on Windsor Ave in the Wilson section) closed ca 1980, then became a Bob's Discount Furniture and now it is a chuch.

Dolson Ave. ShopRite (Middletown, NY)

Looks like the rest of the Shop-Rites now. Does it have a brick oven for Pizzas in it?

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by JimSawhill
Wow! That looks like the old Windsor, CT Shop-Rite building!  It had the same unique style. The Windsor Store (on Windsor Ave in the Wilson section) closed ca 1980,

That's funny that ShopRite used to have a store on Windsor Avenue in Windsor because Windsor Avenue is where Shoprite's sister store is located. Price Rite. It is located near the tower for the Spanish Radio Station La X 1480 WNEZ, which up until 2004 was R&B Oldies WKND and used to use a building for a studio there. As LA X they're studios are with the other 2 stations owned by Freedom Broadcasting, LaMega 910 which plays Spanish Hits and WKND, now at 1230 AM.

XISMZERO

Here's a Shop-Rite circular label scar found today in the Southington, Queen Street TJ Maxx store. Those familiar with the area know of this as a former Shop-Rite from long ago.
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Marc82

*he-he-he* In the nearly 4 years I've lived in Southington I never thought to look for a Shoprite label scar on the TJ MAXX building. Is that the side of the building? If it is I don't think I ever walked along side it.

JimSawhill

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc82
QuoteOriginally posted by JimSawhill
Wow! That looks like the old Windsor, CT Shop-Rite building!  It had the same unique style. The Windsor Store (on Windsor Ave in the Wilson section) closed ca 1980,

That's funny that ShopRite used to have a store on Windsor Avenue in Windsor because Windsor Avenue is where Shoprite's sister store is located. Price Rite. It is located near the tower for the Spanish Radio Station La X 1480 WNEZ, which up until 2004 was R&B Oldies WKND and used to use a building for a studio there. As LA X they're studios are with the other 2 stations owned by Freedom Broadcasting, LaMega 910 which plays Spanish Hits and WKND, now at 1230 AM.

Is the Price Rite in the old Waldbaum's/A&P store at Windsor Shopping Center?  

JimS

Scrabbleship

Here is a shot of the former ShopRite in East Greenbush (Routes 9 & 20) - It was open for a short time (maybe 10 years or so) - then it (along with several ShopRite stores in the Albany area) became a Great American for a short time (they closed after problems with hiring illegal workers) - later it was a bingo hall (closed after the owners were found to be keeping more of the money than they were supposed to) and has been vacant since.  This is at the opposite end of the plaza from the Ames (hence the color which was painted after Shoprite left).

That location isn't vacant. Similar to Fleet/Bank of America and the former Menands Two Guys, the former East Greenbush ShopRite now is used by Computer Sciences Corp for data processing purposes. Interviewed there once, poor pay for poor hours though the location is slightly better off than Bank of America/Menands.

BillyGr

QuoteOriginally posted by Scrabbleship
That location isn't vacant. Similar to Fleet/Bank of America and the former Menands Two Guys, the former East Greenbush ShopRite now is used by Computer Sciences Corp for data processing purposes. Interviewed there once, poor pay for poor hours though the location is slightly better off than Bank of America/Menands.

Are they using the ShopRite part as well?  I know they are using the Ames section (left end) as they had covered the windows there, but hadn't noticed at the right.  Also, part of that (right) end has a Celtic Hall sign.

Scrabbleship

Come to think of it, you're right. Having been there only once, I transposed the buildings.

On a tangent, is it me or is the Albany area under-supermarketed? Maybe this just me, but I can't think of any other sizeable areas that have only two chains getting most of the business such as Albany. If Stop & Shop came northward/eastward or Big Y entered the Empire State or Wegmans came in (that is, if the Golubs didn't tell them not to as the Urban legend says), it would be VERY appreciated.

BillyGr

On a tangent, is it me or is the Albany area under-supermarketed? Maybe this just me, but I can't think of any other sizeable areas that have only two chains getting most of the business such as Albany. If Stop & Shop came northward/eastward or Big Y entered the Empire State or Wegmans came in (that is, if the Golubs didn't tell them not to as the Urban legend says), it would be VERY appreciated.

No kidding!  It definitely seems that way - this was one of the only (if not only) areas that Grand Union left that didn't gain new stores.

Also - look at this perspective - if you go back to the early-mid 80's (give or take a year or two) that stretch of Rts 9&20 (between the Dunn Memorial & Schodack) had EIGHT grocery stores, of SIX different names (Albany Public x2, Price Chopper x2, Grand Union, Star Market (local, not related to the ones in Boston, I don't think), A&P and the ShopRite).

Not that it stayed that way for too long, but it was certainly a lot more than the current 2 (plus Aldi).

Scrabbleship

No kidding!  It definitely seems that way - this was one of the only (if not only) areas that Grand Union left that didn't gain new stores.

It makes me wonder if the Golubs tried to discourage other companies from entering the market. That plus the Wegmans urban legend makes me wonder, then again if they buy out Tops as the rumor has said wouldn't that violate the Golub/Wegman gentlemans agreement?

QuoteNot that it stayed that way for too long, but it was certainly a lot more than the current 2 (plus Aldi).

What, are Save-a-Lot and Wal-Mart chopped liver in this case?

Maybe it's just me being from the Poughkeepsie area where the supermarket field is fifedomed to high heaven (nearly no PC's east of the Hudson, nearly no Stop & Shops west of the Hudson, few Foodtowns east of the Taconic, etc.), but Albany is a poor market given the population base. Why Ahold never (has) expanded in amazes me, nice gaping hole for them to maintain...

BillyGr

QuoteNot that it stayed that way for too long, but it was certainly a lot more than the current 2 (plus Aldi).

What, are Save-a-Lot and Wal-Mart chopped liver in this case?

I was only thinking of Route 9/20.  There is the WalMart Supercenter on Route 4, but no Save a Lot in that area (one in Menands, but not on the Rensselaer Co side).

amesman

There's the Save A Lot on Hoosick Street in Troy in half the old Price Chopper in the old Ames Plaza, if that counts.