Shop Rite

Started by Caldor1999, April 08, 2005, 02:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillyGr

Quote from: Marc B on May 28, 2015, 03:03:15 PM
A new Shoprite opened in at a former KMART location in Howell, New Jersey replacing the one in Lakewood.
http://www.app.com/story/money/business/main-street/2015/04/15/shoprite-howell-lakewood/25827791/

And that one caused a bit of controversy, as the new Howell store doesn't have the Kosher Experience that the old Lakewood store did (Lakewood being a highly Kosher community).
However, supposedly a chain from NYC that is strictly Kosher is going to move into the old ShopRite space, but that leaves those not Kosher in Lakewood without a traditional supermarket.

So both sides are somewhat unhappy with the overall situation - the only ones who probably like it are those in Howell, who now have a Shoprite without having to deal with Lakewood traffic and drivers.

MikeRa

Quote from: MikeRa on August 26, 2014, 10:14:16 PM
Brown's ShopRite of Fairless Hills (Store #427), located at 547 South Oxford Valley road, in Fairless Hills, recently had it's Grand Re-opening.  This location, which was previously a Super Fresh Food Market, first opened in 1999.  This location has a "Brown's Beer Garden", which sells Take out Beer.

2 other Brown's ShopRite has located in them a "Chickie's & Pete's Express", which is a partnership between Brown's Super Stores, Inc., and Chickie's & Pete's Crab House and Sports Bar, and is located at brown's ShopRite of Brooklawn, and Brown's ShopRite of Fox Street.
Brown's ShopRite of Bensalem also now has a "Brown's Beer Garden".  The ShopRite of Drexel Hill (Former Acme Markets/Drexline IGA/Drexline GreatValu/The Fresh Grocer) also sells takeout beer.  That makes 3 Shoprite locations in PA to sell takeout beer
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

FitchMike26

Brown's ShopRite of East Norriton PA also sells beer.

Sidenote: Am I the only one that thinks the Yardley and Fairless Hills ShopRite stores are very close together? They are literally 3 miles apart, on the same road.

Bobsketball

Quote from: FitchMike26 on June 02, 2015, 02:40:08 PM
Brown's ShopRite of East Norriton PA also sells beer.

Sidenote: Am I the only one that thinks the Yardley and Fairless Hills ShopRite stores are very close together? They are literally 3 miles apart, on the same road.

East Norriton sells beer since when? I was at that store less than a month ago and there was certainly no beer then, nor was any kind of remodel in progress.

JoshAustin610

They both seem pretty busy; I guess they both serve different communities (Yardley also gets Morrisville and Newtown customers; Fairless Hills gets Langhorne and Levittown).  That whole area's pretty densely populated, just look at the amount of Giants.

FitchMike26

My apologies! East Norriton does not sell beer. In late 2012, they announced plans to sell beer at this store in the future (with signs hanging up everywhere announcing this) but I just called the store and they told me that they do not sell beer...yet.

Here's a newspaper article from late 2012, making the announcement:
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/the-insider/ShopRite-getting-into-the-restaurant-game.html

Bobsketball

Quote from: FitchMike26 on June 02, 2015, 03:59:27 PM
My apologies! East Norriton does not sell beer. In late 2012, they announced plans to sell beer at this store in the future (with signs hanging up everywhere announcing this) but I just called the store and they told me that they do not sell beer...yet.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/the-insider/ShopRite-getting-into-the-restaurant-game.html

Thanks for letting me know. I honestly am surprised that particular ShopRite is still open. It's really yucky and out of date, and that might be fine if it were the only supermarket in town, but a very nice Giant, Weis, and Super Fresh are all very close. On top of that, ALDI is across the street in front of the former Acme (Big Lots is there today) and for awhile, Bottom Dollar was ALSO in that same shopping center.

Walmart also very well might expand their nearby store (former JM Fields/Bradlees, so it's a small-ish Walmart) to a Supercenter this year or next. What used to be a Food Fair/Pantry Pride next door is now empty once again, and could be easily demolished for a Walmart grocery section. Pep Boys and Mattress Giant each were in the two halves of that space, but both closed in the last year or two.

On top of this, the Kmart down the street (paired with the ex-Acme/Big Lots) is empty again, after being a Sears Outlet for a few years. Fairly recently, the Sears Hardware across the street started selling Sears Outlet merchandise, so I guess the Sears Outlet either never did too well, or the Kmart space was WAY too big for their needs. I have a suspicion that either Giant will move their Blue Bell store to the Kmart site, or instead, that Sam's Club will open at the Kmart site but only IF the Walmart goes ahead with Supercenter plans.

Anyway... why are people content with supermarkets in PA (not all supermarkets, but more and more) selling beer, yet NO supermarkets in PA are allowed to sell wine or spirits?

MikeRa

Quote from: Bobsketball on June 03, 2015, 10:23:13 AM

Thanks for letting me know. I honestly am surprised that particular ShopRite is still open. It's really yucky and out of date, and that might be fine if it were the only supermarket in town, but a very nice Giant, Weis, and Super Fresh are all very close. On top of that, ALDI is across the street in front of the former Acme (Big Lots is there today) and for awhile, Bottom Dollar was ALSO in that same shopping center.

Walmart also very well might expand their nearby store (former JM Fields/Bradlees, so it's a small-ish Walmart) to a Supercenter this year or next. What used to be a Food Fair/Pantry Pride next door is now empty once again, and could be easily demolished for a Walmart grocery section. Pep Boys and Mattress Giant each were in the two halves of that space, but both closed in the last year or two.

On top of this, the Kmart down the street (paired with the ex-Acme/Big Lots) is empty again, after being a Sears Outlet for a few years. Fairly recently, the Sears Hardware across the street started selling Sears Outlet merchandise, so I guess the Sears Outlet either never did too well, or the Kmart space was WAY too big for their needs. I have a suspicion that either Giant will move their Blue Bell store to the Kmart site, or instead, that Sam's Club will open at the Kmart site but only IF the Walmart goes ahead with Supercenter plans.

Anyway... why are people content with supermarkets in PA (not all supermarkets, but more and more) selling beer, yet NO supermarkets in PA are allowed to sell wine or spirits?
As far as the wine and spirits, It is all sold by the State Store, owned by the PA Government.  There are those in the State house who are trying to seel the State Store, but there are those in the State senate from SE PA who does not want to sell thoses stores, but moderized them

mixedday

Quote from: Bobsketball on June 03, 2015, 10:23:13 AM

I agree that the East Norriton ShopRite leaves a lot to be desired. But, I think it actually has a better location off Germantown Pike, than the Weis Market that is nearby. The center with ShopRite has more a mix of tenants than the one with Weis. Staples even left the center where Weis was located.

And ShopRite will attract volume and those seeking low prices, even if it's ugly.

I'd be more concerned how Weis will survive there, especially if Wal-Mart expands to a SuperCenter. Weis' Conshohocken store has a better positioned location than it's East Norriton store.

standa

Joeg

I am so glad!!  I wish they would open more stores in CT.  Has anyone one heard about a ShopRite going into Colchester CT??

AmesNewington

Quote from: Joeg on September 17, 2015, 12:25:42 PM
I am so glad!!  I wish they would open more stores in CT.  Has anyone one heard about a ShopRite going into Colchester CT??

There was a rumor about Colchester. Just not sure where and if it is happening. Good news about Orange. I still say we need one in the vicinity of the Berlin Turnpike. Perhaps even in Berlin. Maybe we will have more activity with SR in CT since they are opening a new store.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Joeg on September 17, 2015, 12:25:42 PM

Where would it go in Colchester?

Joeg

I think past the exit for route 16.  Someone on this thread mentioned it.  It would be a good fit, SR of Norwich, New London, Clinton and hopefully, Colchester.

MikeRa

The Fresh Grocer of 56th Street in Philadelphia, PA is getting a Beer Garden.  it will be, AFAIK, the 4th Wakefern Food Corpoeration's location to sell beer in PA.  the other 3 locations that I know of are:

• ShopRite of Drexel Hill (Owner of the Fresh Grocer of 56th Street location)
  • ShopRite of Bensalem (Owned by Brown's Super Stores)
  • ShopRite of Fairless Hills (Owned by Brown's Super Stores)

JimSawhill

Quote from: Joeg on September 19, 2015, 05:27:26 PM
I think past the exit for route 16.  Someone on this thread mentioned it.  It would be a good fit, SR of Norwich, New London, Clinton and hopefully, Colchester.

Doesn't Colchester have a Stop & Shop? How many supermarkets are in town?

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: JimSawhill on September 20, 2015, 07:08:02 AM

Colchester population 16,000 has Stop and Shop and Noel's IGA.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Marc B on September 20, 2015, 09:19:58 AM

Colchester population 16,000 has Stop and Shop and Noel's IGA.

I used to go camping with my family in Salem. The Stop and Shop in Colchester was the closest supermarket to the campground, followed by Big Y in Norwich. We used to shop at both stores when we stayed for the week. Never knew Colchester had an IGA. Another option wouldn't hurt. This S&S is known to be one of the most expensive ones in the state.

retailisking

Wakefern to buy 12 A&P locations; no word yet on what banners they be under or how many Wakefern will operate itself
http://www.newsday.com/business/shoprite-parent-to-buy-three-long-island-a-p-stores-1.10891272

Joeg

I'm hoping they get the A&P in Danbury, it would be a good fit, but what would happen to the Price Rite in Danbury(A former A&P)??

AmesNewington

Quote from: retailisking on September 25, 2015, 11:32:16 PM
Wakefern to buy 12 A&P locations; no word yet on what banners they be under or how many Wakefern will operate itself
http://www.newsday.com/business/shoprite-parent-to-buy-three-long-island-a-p-stores-1.10891272

It's too bad Wakefern didn't grab A&P locations in CT 5 years ago (Berlin, Middletown, Naugatuck are three that come to mind). At least East Haven eventually became a ShopRite. Big Y and S&S had a part in preventing any other grocer from taking these A&P sites.

BillyGr

Quote from: Joeg on September 26, 2015, 04:49:26 AM
I'm hoping they get the A&P in Danbury, it would be a good fit, but what would happen to the Price Rite in Danbury(A former A&P)??

From the following link:
http://supermarketnews.com/ap-bankruptcy-2015/wakefern-morton-williams-make-ap-bids

Wakefern, the cooperative wholesaler behind the ShopRite brand, has bid $40 million for A&P stores in Danbury, Conn., and Lagrangeville, N.Y.; two Pathmark stores in New York (Bethpage and New Hyde Park); a Waldbaums store in Deer Park, N.Y.; and seven Pathmark stores in Pennsylvania (Brookhaven, Glenolden, Wyncote, Upper Darby and Philadelphia â€" Oregon Avenue, Aramingo Avenue and Monument Avenue.).

Read More: http://supermarketnews.com/ap-bankruptcy-2015/wakefern-morton-williams-make-ap-bids#ixzz3mt7AdgjB

So they will be taking over the Danbury store, as well as the one odd one in Lagrangeville NY (Acme took two stores on both sides of that one but not that particular one).

As to Price Rite, there shouldn't be any issue.  Wakefern (corporate subsidiary SRS) built a new ShopRite in Niskayuna as part of their Albany (NY) area return - there is a Price Rite in Schenectady (maybe 3-4 miles travel between the two) and that has stayed as it was.  Seems there are also one or two other cases of the two being close (maybe elsewhere in CT when they picked up Shaw's locations?), so they no longer seem to care about the two competing with one another.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: BillyGr on September 26, 2015, 05:56:38 PM
As to Price Rite, there shouldn't be any issue.  Wakefern (corporate subsidiary SRS) built a new ShopRite in Niskayuna as part of their Albany (NY) area return - there is a Price Rite in Schenectady (maybe 3-4 miles travel between the two) and that has stayed as it was.  Seems there are also one or two other cases of the two being close (maybe elsewhere in CT when they picked up Shaw's locations?), so they no longer seem to care about the two competing with one another.

Hamden and West Hartford have both Shoprite and Price Rite.

Bdubs

Quote from: Joeg on September 19, 2015, 05:27:26 PM

There is currently still a property dispute over the large cleared parcel off of Rte. 11. It still sits empty. The town would benefit from an additional store because all of the surrounding towns don't have any kind of grocery store aside from maybe a country store. Salem, East Haddan, Hebron (has an IGA), Amston, Lebanon. Factor in vacationers at Lake Hayward, and campgrounds in just about every one of those surrounding towns, it puts a strain on just one store.
And yes, Stop & Shop takes advantage of this. Putting the store in the same price brackets as their Fairfield county locations.

Joeg

You are so right!  Colchester and the surrounding area need another supermarket.

mixedday

Does anyone know which is the largest ShopRite? Any that are as large as a Wegmans with a full dining area/restaurant?

retailisking

Quote from: BillyGr on September 26, 2015, 05:56:38 PM
As to Price Rite, there shouldn't be any issue.  Wakefern (corporate subsidiary SRS) built a new ShopRite in Niskayuna as part of their Albany (NY) area return - there is a Price Rite in Schenectady (maybe 3-4 miles travel between the two) and that has stayed as it was.  Seems there are also one or two other cases of the two being close (maybe elsewhere in CT when they picked up Shaw's locations?), so they no longer seem to care about the two competing with one another.

The issue with PriceRite vs ShopRite was that all the PriceRite stores were owned by Wakefern while the ShopRite stores were more often than not owned by cooperative members. Now that Wakefern has opened up the PriceRite format to its cooperative members, the conflict doesn't present itself as often. It wasn't an issue in the Capital District because Wakefern owns both the PriceRite and ShopRite stores in the region.

retailisking

Quote from: mixedday on October 01, 2015, 03:33:41 PM
Does anyone know which is the largest ShopRite? Any that are as large as a Wegmans with a full dining area/restaurant?

There's a 95,000 square foot Kinsley's ShopRite in Brodheadsville, PA with an in-store restaurant, but it's not as large as one of Wegmans' larger supermarkets.

store215

Here are pictures of a newly opened, and awesome looking Shoprite in Bethlehem, PA
https://www.flickr.com/photos/46219395@N07/albums/72157657783362621

Unfortunately, it hasn't really seemed to have generated much excitement for an area that is already dominated by Wegmans, Giant, and Weis.

retailisking

Quote from: store215 on October 02, 2015, 10:23:38 AM
Here are pictures of a newly opened, and awesome looking Shoprite in Bethlehem, PA
https://www.flickr.com/photos/46219395@N07/albums/72157657783362621

Unfortunately, it hasn't really seemed to have generated much excitement for an area that is already dominated by Wegmans, Giant, and Weis.

ShopRite hasn't made much impact in the Capital District either. I wonder if they will stick around.