Shop Rite

Started by Caldor1999, April 08, 2005, 02:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EddieJ1984

Well I saw a vhs tape I wanted in the thrift store so I took whatever tape was in the shop rite sleeve out and put that tape in it lol.

standa

I read that some of the stores Shoprite is getting from Shaw's in CT will be union and some not.  Are only company owned Shoprites union stores?  Which of the Shoprites currently open in CT are company stores?

www.ctnow.com/business/hc-shaws-petronella.artfeb25,0,7424266.story

Marc82

Since all Shoprite's are independently owned and operated (aside from the ones that are co-owned of course) it's up to each individual owner whether or not to be union or not - no different than any other store if you think about it.

Marc82

Shoprite posted photos of their new store at 2 Clubhouse Drive in Washington, New Jersey on their Facebook Page.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=163025&id=81828647162&ref=mf

standa

Who will own the new CT Shoprites recently bought from Shaw's

www.perishablenews.com/index.php?article=0004715

Marc82

I was hoping to post pictures of the conversion to Shoprite in this thread, but unfortunatly they put plastic over all the windows and you can no longer see in. Notice the Shaw's window decals are still up. Pictures taken yesterday 3/1/2010.

standa

Here are photos of the Shelton, CT Shaw's being converted into a Shoprite.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=158403&id=63646820355&ref=mf

standa

The Hamden and Stratford, CT Shoprites will open in about a month.

DerangedHermit

ShopRite is planning to build their 6th store on Long Island in the old Home Depot Expo Center in Commack right off the LIE. Still not Central or Eastern Suffolk...

ynkeesfn82

Shoprite of Wallingford (formerly Shoprite of Meriden) will open in June.

Shoprite of Southington won't be ready until January.

AmesNewington

It does not mention when West Hartford will re-open, just that it will re-open eventually. That's the closest one to me and I want to check it out when it opens. I never have been in a ShopRite, so it will be interesting.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: AmesNewington on May 19, 2010, 04:12:17 PM
It does not mention when West Hartford will re-open, just that it will re-open eventually. That's the closest one to me and I want to check it out when it opens. I never have been in a ShopRite, so it will be interesting.

West Hartford hopes to open in July. East Hartford by the end of July.

http://www.courant.com/business/hc-shoprite-west-hartford-0527-20100526,0,6691533.story

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: ynkeesfn82 on May 27, 2010, 01:15:28 PM
West Hartford hopes to open in July. East Hartford by the end of July.

http://www.courant.com/business/hc-shoprite-west-hartford-0527-20100526,0,6691533.story

West Hartford and East Hartford are both opening a month earlier than originally planned. They will open next week along with Wallingford and Clinton. At that time the Meriden store will be shuttered.

As far as I know the Southington Store will open by January.

standa

Have you been to the new CT Shoprites?  What do you think of them?  I went to the Hamden one.  The walls were all painted different colors and the health & beauty was moved near the produce, along with the return of the pharmacy.  All the service departments (florist, deli, bakery, prepared, seafood) are in the same place as Shaw's.  I thought Shaw's had a better variety of natural foods.
The store looks decent, the prices are mostly competitive, however I prefer Stop & Shop because it has a better variety of merchandise and has a more customer friendly layout.

ynkeesfn82

In an article in today's Meriden Record-Journal about changes coming to the grocery scene in Southington stated once again that Shoprite would be opening in January. The article went onto mention that BJ's Wholesale will be opening in October and Stop & Shop will be remodeling its store.

CTAmeshopper

We used to have a Shop Rite where Price Rite is now(in the same plaza as K-Mart). I'm guessing it opened in 70's or the 80's it featured a HUGE Shop Rite sign of the 1974-2003 logo on the front of the store. It closed in the mid 90's I think 1995 or 1996. It became a Price Rite in 1996.

TRU7536

Quote from: CTAmeshopper on July 26, 2010, 07:41:36 PM
We used to have a Shop Rite where Price Rite is now(in the same plaza as K-Mart). I'm guessing it opened in 70's or the 80's it featured a HUGE Shop Rite sign of the 1974-2003 logo on the front of the store. It closed in the late 90's I think 1998 or 1999. I don't remember when it became a Price Rite though.

You must be talking about Westhersfield. I remember that quite well and thats been years!!!! Right up the street is where Stop and Shop and Bradlees stood.

CTAmeshopper

No I'm pretty sure I'm talking about The Torrington one I distinctly remember seeing the large sign on my way to Camp in YMCA during the summer months of at least 1996. I distinctly remember seeing Kmart and Shop Rite in the same plaza. The Kmart plaza was one of the stops on the way to Camp Torymca, it's been so long. I'm pretty positive that there was a Shop Rite in Torrington.

Here I even found an article that summarizes the fact that there was a Shop Rite where Price Rite is now

Hartford Courant - Hartford, Conn.
Date:    Jul 31, 1996
Start Page:    B.2
Section:    TOWN NEWS
Text Word Count:    174

The Price Rite Grocery Depot and the Produce Depot opened Tuesday on the site of a former Shop Rite grocery store at Torrington's Kmart plaza.

ynkeesfn82

They're really making a mess with the Southington Store under construction. They demolished the entrance and exit to the former Shaw's. If only my camera worked I could post pictures.  :'( Opening Day is still slated for January.

DerangedHermit

The Commack, NY Shoprite right off the LIE is going to be owned by Greenfield Shoprite and will open next year.

http://commack.patch.com/articles/crooked-hill-road-shoprite-set-to-open-in-2011

ynkeesfn82

Pictures I took today 8/25 of the construction of the Southington Store.

ynkeesfn82

ynkeesfn82

Just went to the new Wallingford store to interview for a job at the Southington store. The Wallingford store doesn't really look like a Shaw's on the inside. The outside still does, though as does the upstairs area. They say the Southington store is opening on October 27th. (I think it may be a little later than that. It looks like they still got a lot of work to do).

ynkeesfn82

Today was my first day working at the Wallingford Shoprite. It's a nice store. The Southington store is supposed to open on November 10th. They've gotten a lot done at least on the inside. On the outside it still looks like a war zone. Anyway I can't wait for the Southington store to open because driving 45 mins to Wallingford for work is the pits.

5 big events for the new Southington store right off the bat.

Opening Day.
Thanksgiving.
Christmas.
New Years
Can-Can Sale.

AmesNewington

Quote from: ynkeesfn82 on October 12, 2010, 10:26:16 PM
Today was my first day working at the Wallingford Shoprite. It's a nice store. The Southington store is supposed to open on November 10th. They've gotten a lot done at least on the inside. On the outside it still looks like a war zone. Anyway I can't wait for the Southington store to open because driving 45 mins to Wallingford for work is the pits.

Opening Day.
Thanksgiving.
Christmas.
New Years
Can-Can Sale.

Marc, please let me know how you like working for ShopRite. I may have a chance of getting in to the West Hartford store since Big Y has not gotten back to me about a job.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: AmesNewington on October 13, 2010, 07:12:23 AM
Quote from: ynkeesfn82 on October 12, 2010, 10:26:16 PM

Opening Day.
Thanksgiving.
Christmas.
New Years
Can-Can Sale.

Marc, please let me know how you like working for ShopRite. I may have a chance of getting in to the West Hartford store since Big Y has not gotten back to me about a job.

So far I like it, but keep in mind each Shoprite is independently owned and operated. West Hartford has a different owner than Wallingford/Southington. And a different owner than Bristol/Waterbury.

ynkeesfn82

16 Days and Counting til the Southington Store opens. I can't wait. I go right by it on my way to Wallingford and will try and snag some pix. Lots of work has been done since my last pix of the construction on August 25th. The Southington store will feature a sit-down cafe and a Scruncy's Play Place for kids, neither of which are in the Wallingford Store.

AmesNewington

Quote from: ynkeesfn82 on October 25, 2010, 04:02:52 PM
16 Days and Counting til the Southington Store opens. I can't wait. I go right by it on my way to Wallingford and will try and snag some pix. Lots of work has been done since my last pix of the construction on August 25th. The Southington store will feature a sit-down cafe and a Scruncy's Play Place for kids, neither of which are in the Wallingford Store.

I'm happy to report that I was hired last week at the West Hartford ShopRite. I start next week after Waldbaums closes. It came out of nowhere. The WH store reached out to employees at Waldbaums and hired a number of us. I'm a bit nervous about the area it's in, but I'll give it a sincere try. The Joseph Family and management seem to be very nice. My family did our shopping there this week for the first time and spent less on our bill than Waldbaums, even without my 10% discount. They also carry many items we can't find elsewhere such as X-14 cleaner and a brand of rawhide bones my dog likes. Newington could sure use a ShopRite!

TRU7536

I'm happy to report that I was hired last week at the West Hartford ShopRite. I start next week after Waldbaums closes. It came out of nowhere. The WH store reached out to employees at Waldbaums and hired a number of us. I'm a bit nervous about the area it's in, but I'll give it a sincere try. The Joseph Family and management seem to be very nice. My family did our shopping there this week for the first time and spent less on our bill than Waldbaums, even without my 10% discount. They also carry many items we can't find elsewhere such as X-14 cleaner and a brand of rawhide bones my dog likes. Newington could sure use a ShopRite!
[/quote]

The area is fine. My church is right across the street and its on the border of West Hartford/Hartford. The stop and shop down the street is nice as well