Main Menu

Acme

Started by Mobil, October 26, 2008, 08:22:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobil

Videogamer75: Near the former Jamesway and Rickel in Vineland, there is a Family Dollar that could possibly be a former Acme. This is on the same side of Landis Ave, but on the other side of Rt 47. The store is now a Family Dollar. What it was originally? And was the Ames in Vineland anything else before? Has the Two Guys been torn down yet?

videogamer75

Last I heard they canceled their plans to build a Super Wal-Mart in Vineland due to citizen complaints, so as far as I know it should still be up.

As for the other questions, I am sorry but I don't know the answer to either. All I know about the Ames is that it is now a Forman Mills clothes store.

Marc82

Citizens complaints? Oh I get it. Because Walmart SuperCenter refuses to sell X-rated merchandise. :roll: My friend that used to work at the Vineland Radio station told me there's lots of X-Rated shops in Vineland. One even sponsors DISCO USA on that station. The host doesn't even say in the ad that the store is an X-Rated Shop. Carnival Books.

Mobil

The "Acme" was a Pantry Pride.

A photo of the roadside sign in 1963! This sign still stands today.

videogamer75

Actually, the real reason citizens complained about the Wal-Mart is because they thought it would put local grocery stores out of business.

Even though I like Wal-Mart, I have to agree that there was no need for a Supercenter in Vineland, as the area already has an Acme, three Shop-Rites, and a Pathmark plus all the small local grocery stores. Some of these are actually located in Millville, but the two towns are very close together, so that's about ten supermarkets in general. In addition, there was already a regular Wal-Mart in Millville. Personally, I think Wal-Mart should've opened a Supercenter in Absecon instead, as that town does not have any discount stores and only has one supermarket, and since it's right next to Atlantic City it would probably get loads of business.

nims57

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc82
Citizens complaints? Oh I get it. Because Walmart SuperCenter refuses to sell X-rated merchandise. :roll: My friend that used to work at the Vineland Radio station told me there's lots of X-Rated shops in Vineland. One even sponsors DISCO USA on that station. The host doesn't even say in the ad that the store is an X-Rated Shop. Carnival Books.

Do you drive or fly to Vineland? How far is it?

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by nims57
Do you drive or fly to Vineland? How far is it?

I've never been. I probably would take the train into 30th Street Station in Philly, pick up a rental vehicle and drive the backroads to Vineland.  According to Mapquest 40 miles via the highway. 56 miles via the backroads.