My McProblem

Started by Mobil, October 20, 2008, 03:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobil

I used to live in The Woodlands, Texas, and then Houston. There was a Wal-Mart in Tomball of the 1987-1995 design. It had a Radio Grill snack bar. When the store was expanded to a Supercenter in 1998, the Radio Grill was redone. But in 2000, it closed and became a McDonald's, even though they already have so many in the area.

In 1998, a large Texaco opened in Tomball TX, complete with Church's Chicken, Pizza Inn, and Blue Bell ice cream shop opened. Pizza Inn, however, closed in 1999. I moved to PA in 2001. The station has since become Shell. Both other restaurants have also been closed for a McDonald's. Ditto for a similar Texaco down the road, but with Church's and Baskin-Robbins.

Shell AND McDonald's are both very big in this area. In fact, Shell, which is a Dutch company, has been headquartered in Houston since 1971. Texaco, Church's, and Blue Bell all started in Texas.

NJxxJon

QuoteOriginally posted by Mobil
I used to live in The Woodlands, Texas, and then Houston. There was a Wal-Mart in Tomball of the 1987-1997 design. It had a Radio Grill snack bar. When the store was expanded to a Supercenter in 1998, the Radio Grill was redone. But in 2000, it closed and became a McDonald's, even though they already have so many in the area.

In 1998, a large Texaco opened in Tomball TX, complete with Church's Chicken, Pizza Inn, and Blue Bell ice cream shop opened. Pizza Inn, however, closed in 1999. I moved to PA in 2001. The station has since become Shell. Both other restaurants have also been closed for a McDonald's. Ditto for a similar Texaco down the road, but with Church's and Baskin-Robbins.

Shell AND McDonald's are both very big in this area. In fact, Shell, which is a Dutch company, has been headquartered in Houston since 1971. Texaco, Church's, and Blue Bell all started in Texas.

The monoply promotion this year blows. No prizes. No cars. Foot locker coupons and I have NO FOOTLOCKER 15 MILES NEAR me. Yes, toooooooooooo many of them near me as well.
JN

Jonah Norason

Funny, the McDonald's in MY Wal-Mart became a Radio Grill, which is now a Subway.

Mobil

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonah Norason
Funny, the McDonald's in MY Wal-Mart became a Radio Grill, which is now a Subway.

Both Radio Grill and Wal-Mart McDonald's were introduced in 1993. There was a Wal-Mart near me that opened in 2001 with a Radio Grill, but it was closed for a Subway in 2005. There is also a supercenter near me, opened in 2004 with a Radio Grill, that became a Dunkin' Donuts in 2007. :huh:

mikey7290

Our Wal-Mart in Ogdensburg NY opened in 1993 with a McDonald's, which closed a few years back when the owner had a disagreement with Wal-Mart.  The space became a Wal-Mart-owned snack bar of some sort (I don't think it was a Radio Grill).  This too, failed and the restaurant was never reopened.  Although there were rumors that the space was going to be renovated into a Stewart's Shops (which is kind of strange for a convenience store to be in a discount store), the space is now being used for seasonal items.  A friend who works at the Wal-Mart store here tells me that the company is waiting to see if it will build the new super center across town.  If not, then the space will most likely become Stewart's (with sandwiches only, though.)

Caldor1999

Both Radio Grill and Wal-Mart McDonald's were introduced in 1993. There was a Wal-Mart near me that opened in 2001 with a Radio Grill, but it was closed for a Subway in 2005. There is also a supercenter near me, opened in 2004 with a Radio Grill, that became a Dunkin' Donuts in 2007. :huh:

ive nodiced that shop rite use to have Dunkin' Donuts  in alot of there stores and for some resion there alll gone now
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

dmx10101

Is there any Wal-marts left with Radio Grills?
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

wwefan101

all walmarts nare me got subway  i hare the oxford ma walmart might move to a new lot  to be a super walmart   ift not webster ma may get ther frist ever walmart supercenter

C. Fontaine

Wwefan101, are you for or against the proposed mall off of Lake Parkway in Webster??

wwefan101

100 pecent fore it we neen more in town

wwefan101

i  whould love for it to have eather a super walmart or a target that will be soooooo cool the  more stores the more money the town can make

videogamer75

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999

ive nodiced that shop rite use to have Dunkin' Donuts  in alot of there stores and for some resion there alll gone now

There is a Shoprite near me that has a Starbucks....I don't think it ever had a Dunkin' Donuts. I think there are too many stores with Starbucks in them....

Mobil

QuoteOriginally posted by videogamer75
QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999

There is a Shoprite near me that has a Starbucks....I don't think it ever had a Dunkin' Donuts. I think there are too many stores with Starbucks in them....

The only Radio Grills I know of that haven't closed MIGHT still exist. There was one in the Supercenter in Allentown, PA, which I have not been to since 2003. There was one in a Wal-Mart on FM 1960 in Houston. This store opened in 1987, Radio Grill was added 1993, and it moved to a Supercenter a few years back. I have not been since 2000, the old store. There was another Wal-Mart just down the road, identical to this one except it had a McDonald's. That store was expanded, not moved, to a Supercenter years ago.

And I never knew ShopRite had Starbucks or Dunkin' Donuts.

FearlessSwan

All Wal Marts in my area (Clearwater/St. Pete, FL) have different restaurants in them.

The Largo location has a Subway (was a Radio Grill until 2-3 years ago)

The Clearwater store has a Blimpie

And the Supercenter in Pinellas Park has a McDonald's

Mobil

A picture of the Texaco as Shell before Church's closed.

http://www.landmarkindustries.com/images/4201.JPG