Sizzler

Started by HoJofan206, April 07, 2005, 03:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HoJofan206

Does anyone remember this restaurant chain from back in the 1980's to mid 1990's.  They had their very recognizable buildings that, if still standing today, are recognizable (kinda like former HoJo's).  I think they were kinda like a Ponderosa type place with the large buffet.

BillyGr

The closest one to this area was in Kingston (that I know of) - it had been a local place after that, but is now up for sale again.

Their website lists locations in the following states:

Arizona
California
Delaware
Florida
Hawaii
Idaho
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
Oregon
Texas
Utah
Washington

HoJofan206

I had no idea that they still had locations open

Caldor1999

there also still open i ate there not to long ago but thats when i got sick lol
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Caldor1999

hears the Sizzlers that made me sick and its still open
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

HoJofan206

That's a picture of a classic, original Sizzler building.  Too bad it made you sick!  :barf:

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by HoJofan206
That's a picture of a classic, original Sizzler building.  Too bad it made you sick!  :barf:

It looks like a former Pizza Hut :tumble:

beau99

I haven't been to one in forever, but I love the mini chicken drumsticks they have on their buffet.

amesman

Here's out old Sizzler. Closed in 2000 I believe..

BillyGr

Just happened to be reading at a site called Weird NJ - the Rockaway location pictured above is the ONLY Sizzler left in NJ - in addition there is just one in DE, 9 in NY (all around the NYC area - White Plains is the farthest one) and 4 in FL (all around Orlando).

Beyond those 15 - all the rest (but 1 in Arkansas) are Texas or further west.  This seems to be another "dissappearing" chain - at least in the Eastern US.

However, they some how wound up with >>12<< in Puerto Rico!

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by BillyGr
Just happened to be reading at a site called Weird NJ - the Rockaway location pictured above is the ONLY Sizzler left in NJ - in addition there is just one in DE, 9 in NY (all around the NYC area - White Plains is the farthest one) and 4 in FL (all around Orlando).

Beyond those 15 - all the rest (but 1 in Arkansas) are Texas or further west.  This seems to be another "dissappearing" chain - at least in the Eastern US.

However, they some how wound up with >>12<< in Puerto Rico!

that one in white plains ny is now closed
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

they also closed the one in yonkers ny as well someting tells me in the next ten years they wont be in ny anymore
Caldor Forever!

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
here is sizzler resturant in rockaway nj

It looks like a former Rustler Steak House.  That chain was acquired by Sizzler.

Caldor1999

heres one of the few sizzlers left in ny this one is in the bronx i have to say this one was pretty nice and the food was alot better at this one then the old one in white plains. the inside was really early 90's looking with neon lights and tacky sculptures everywhere

Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

TRU7536

I didn't even know they were still in business! Thought they closed a decade ago.

HannafordHearts

I've seen a Sizzler while on vacation in Kissimmee, FL. I also saw a closed one in downtown Orlando once.

Caldor1999

Quote from: TRU7536 on April 17, 2015, 06:10:15 PM
I didn't even know they were still in business! Thought they closed a decade ago.

there is 1 left in New York and about 3 left in Orlando. The rest are all out in California and the west coast they have over 270 locations.
Caldor Forever!

retailisking

Caldor1999

I Wonder why they closed so many here in the northeast
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

Went to the last one in NY. I don't get why so many of them closed they use to have 6 in NYC alone and 3 in Westchester County and 4 on Long Island. I did the salad bar and for 2 people it was only 25 bucks including drinks.

Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

few pics of sizzler

With Sizzler you order and pay for your food first and then sit down. Pic from 1979

and this is the Buffet/salad from the  Forrest Hills location in Queens NY

This is a former Yonkers NY location that because Fridays ''blah''

This was one on long island that became a 7 11 -_-

I wish these would make a comeback here

Caldor Forever!

Hudsons81

There was one many years ago at the northwest corner of Eureka and Racho in Taylor, Michigan. This one later became a Mountain Jack's during the 1990's, closed in the 2000's and was torn down in 2012 for a strip mall.

shore72

Wow, those '79 prices! That menu board is almost identical to what Golden Corral was using in the 80s.

I only ate at a Sizzler one time; it was somewhere in the Baltimore/Annapolis area. The buffet had healthier options than the competition but I was a teenager when we visited (late 80s/early 90s) and that didn't impress me.

Caldor1999

Quote from: shore72 on May 03, 2015, 09:19:23 PM
Wow, those '79 prices! That menu board is almost identical to what Golden Corral was using in the 80s.

I only ate at a Sizzler one time; it was somewhere in the Baltimore/Annapolis area. The buffet had healthier options than the competition but I was a teenager when we visited (late 80s/early 90s) and that didn't impress me.

They had alot in the New York Metro Area but there now down to 1. I actually liked it but some places are hit or miss. The one in Yonkers that i use to go to had a bigger buffet and salad bar then the Queens one but the food was good. I have never been to a Golden Corral but i heard nothing but bad things about them from Salmonella and Norovirus outbreaks to this http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/08/golden-corral-dumpster_n_3560786.html .
Also sizzler least the one i went to wasn't all healthy with the tacos and fried foods and ice cream.
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

Here are some former NY locations

Caldor Forever!

Hudsons81

Quote from: Caldor1999 on May 03, 2015, 09:51:39 PM

Was that taken shortly after 9/11?

Caldor1999

Quote from: Hudsons81 on May 04, 2015, 11:47:25 AM
Quote from: Caldor1999 on May 03, 2015, 09:51:39 PM

Was that taken shortly after 9/11?

No this was taken in 1996 this sizzler was located in Midtown i think this was the result of a car accident. The location is now an HSBC bank -_-
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

Few more photos of Sizzler in Ca. I do wish they would come back to the east coast.

Caldor Forever!