Stop & Shop

Started by AmesNewington, April 02, 2005, 12:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmesNewington

For those who have regular Stop & Shops (not huge Super Stop & Shops); has your S&S been remodeling their store?Newington CT has and as I hear, it'sa total mess in the store and they're even changing location of the big departments like the deli. I think that they are trying to make the store look like the newer stores.

JustinT

My local store (Old Connecticut Path location, Framingham MA) is remodeling. It's a Super Stop & Shop, but it is one of the older ones, opened in 1994 or 1995, and is on the smaller side.  The store previously appeared to have many 70's/80's style features (a very retro font on this big ugly thing that said "Creamery"). The Bakery is moving from one side of the store to the other, and they are adding a Boston Market and an "Asian buffet", what ever that may be. The Deli has even been temporarily relocated to what will become a future butcher shop, as the Deli half of the store gets remodeled. Right now, it's a mess, but the future product looks really nice. Many of the interior details remind me of the newer Hannaford stores (notably the Westbrook ME and Falmouth ME locations). I go there all the time, but hopefully it will be done soon.

AmesNewington

I went on Sunday to the Newington store, and it sounds that (JustinT), that they're doing the same exact thing. But, my store never was "behind the times". It opened in 1993, and was remodeled to look like the current design in 2001, and our family shopped there at the time, and all they did was made the store look fancier, but kept mostly everything in its place except the Cheese Shop and Natural Foods section. Now, you can't even see that section. They are really changing it now. The aisle area is more darker lit, and I saw a map on what the dpts. are supposed to look like. It looks nice, just like Bristol. The produce department is cut down to two small aisles. It is only a convenience for us, as we shop at Price Chopper.

Caldor1999

the famouse chain that onced owned Bradlees well  till bradlees went out on it own anyways i dont like them thjat much i also Call them Top & Hop thats what u get when u take the to S's away
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Caldor1999

heard a card i got:boring:
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Caldor1999

hears what my Stop & Shop looks like it was onec a Grand Union as u can tell heh lol the logo is tilted and the stores small too
Caldor Forever!

d_fife

STop and shop has reformated their stores alot.

The newest one is on the pictuer I display here. IT has stuff like TOys r us inside and OFfice Depot inside. And those ones are like in the 70,000s and early 80,000s of square feet.

Some stores have been changed twice since they first opened, and they have relocated a lot of stores, and most stores are large Super STop n shops. They just entered new hampshire and will enter maine and vermont.

storehistoryguy

Stop & Shop just filed for chapter 11 and are going out of business!

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by 76BraldorZayKamesfanBBTB
QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy
Stop & Shop just filed for chapter 11 and are going out of business!

NO THEY ARN'T IF THEY WERE THEY WOULD SAY SO ON THEIR WEBSITE!

Yeah, I know. I was just bored. Not much going on here. Postings slow.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
STop and shop has reformated their stores alot.

The newest one is on the pictuer I display here. IT has stuff like TOys r us inside and OFfice Depot inside. And those ones are like in the 70,000s and early 80,000s of square feet.

Some stores have been changed twice since they first opened, and they have relocated a lot of stores, and most stores are large Super STop n shops. They just entered new hampshire and will enter maine and vermont.

thast one big stop  shop

when while what happend s to a super market when the go out  do they old Goiing outta bisness sales:question:
Caldor Forever!

AmesNewington

I wonder how they liquidate a supermarket that GOB. I'm thinking they sell off all Gen. Merchandise and boxed and canned goods, and buy limited amounts of service counter items. But, supermarkets are full-service convenience stops for many, and going for something and not getting it would be crazy. The only think to lure in customers would be very low prices.

BillyGr

QuoteOriginally posted by AmesNewington
I wonder how they liquidate a supermarket that GOB. I'm thinking they sell off all Gen. Merchandise and boxed and canned goods, and buy limited amounts of service counter items. But, supermarkets are full-service convenience stops for many, and going for something and not getting it would be crazy. The only think to lure in customers would be very low prices.

The one I remember (from about 8 yrs ago - so it may not be completely correct) was an A&P (the last one in the capital region - in Wynantskill).  They only reduced some of the stuff (I think it was Health & Beauty and the perishables plus a few other odd things - I remember a few A&P labelled products - this at least a year or two after they had changed most of the stuff over to America's Choice) - apparently most of the rest was to be moved to another store (where I don't know since the next nearest even then was probably Pleasant Valley or Massachusetts).  I think it went to 50% off at the best.  Of course, this was an older store to begin with, so they only had dairy, produce and packaged meat (maybe limited bakery) to deal with (no service meat, fish, sushi, cafe, etc.).

Almost forgot about GU's - several of those - they seemed to sell off everything - just closing down areas as they ran out (like deli, meats, dairy etc.) starting with a low % and finally going to 80 or 90% for the last couple days.

Seems to me that both continued to accept coupons (except maybe the very end) but not do doubles (as they both previously had).

Zayre88

A cool truck from the Stop & Shop companies.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88

what is mida mart are they still around???
Caldor Forever!

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88

what is mida mart are they still around???

It probably was a pharmacy chain and i'm sure it's not around anymore.

The company had supermarkets (Stop & Shop), discount stores (Bradlees) and pharmacies (medi Mart)...

Now, a single Super Stop & Shop has all three in one store!

Caldor1999

hears anouther pic of my stop and shop
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by 76BraldorZayKamesfanBBTB
hears anouther pic of my stop and shop

The "Shop" part looks like its ready to fall.

yea i know the logo tilted it was a Grand Union them in 2001 it became stop & shop they dident changes the inside that much it even has the old Grand UNION SMELL lol
Caldor Forever!

store215

The "Super G" stores in Southern NJ have all been converted to Stop & Shop in the last few weeks.

d_fife

STop and shop's stores have a new look now. They 2 years ago entered new hampshire and have stores in Manchester on Valley st, one in manchester on South willoow st, one in Hudson on lowell ave, one in peterborough (it replaced A&P), one soon to open in Exeter, one soon to open Milford and one in Bedford.

When I went to Rhode Island, they were remodeling the ones in Cumberland, North providence and Coventry to the new look.

d_fife

this stop and shop in Malden mass was a Purity supreme and is either 51000 sf or 60000 sf

from www.srweiner.com

d_fife

this is what the newer shop and shops look like.

this is in peeksill ny and is 66000 squrae feet. the ones expanded or built in late 1980s or early 1990s are being expanded or relocated. they are remodeling a lot of Rhode island stores to this.

from .marchassociates.com/ Projects/Retail/new/s...

Zayre88

Stop & Shop in Manchester NH just before the opening in 2003.  Located on site of the former Bradlees.

Crawford

ahhh Stop & Shop. I remember the old stop light logo sitting in the shopping carriage. Never really cared for them since my parents usually went to Star Market or on rare occasions Almacs. The first "Super" Stop & Shop was built in Warwick RI around 1983-84 and pretty soon they were everywhere. The older stores were shut down to prevent competiton with the newer ones. This is one market to always and I mean always check your receipts that the discounts were taken. I believe they were also the first market (in my area at least) to install the self serve check out areas.
"Through the millennia, the Time Lords of Gallifrey led a life of ordered calm, protected against all threats from lesser civilisations by their great power. But this was to change. Suddenly, and terribly, the Time Lords faced the most dangerous crisis in their long history..."--the Doctor

Caldor1999

this stop and shop in Malden mass was a Purity supreme and is either 51000 sf or 60000 sf

from www.srweiner.com

thast a old stop & shop
Caldor Forever!

d_fife

from www.srweiner.com

thast a old stop & shop

taht was purity supreme.

this was their old logo in the past

from www.a-aronson.com

Caldor1999

from www.srweiner.com

thast a old stop & shop

taht was purity supreme.

this was their old logo in the past

from www.a-aronson.com

i never lied there logo i think they shold change it
Caldor Forever!

d_fife

this stop and shop is in Boston on tremont st and 35000 sf.

from www.finard.com

storehistoryguy

Question: I've seen Stop & Shop cards and buildings and products and such stuff and I've alot of it is very simular to the Giant Food/Edward's Markets chain. Are they also connected?

store215

QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy
Question: I've seen Stop & Shop cards and buildings and products and such stuff and I've alot of it is very simular to the Giant Food/Edward's Markets chain. Are they also connected?

Yes. (And Edwards markets hasn't been around for years--they became SuperG in New Jersey and have now been relabeled Stop & Shop)

d_fife