Stop & Shop

Started by AmesNewington, April 02, 2005, 12:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retailisking

As expected, the New York Metro division of Stop & Shop will be consolidated with the New England Division
http://www.supermarketnews.com/retail-financial/ahold-delhaize-announces-brand-centric-structuring

giantsfan2016

I was at both the Southington and Forestville stores in Connecticut this week. They still have the same music they always have playing, but now there's a generic announcer every so often that says "You're listening to the in-store audio network." What is the "in-store audio network?"

Chuck E. Cheese

The network that the corporate offices regulate for audio in-store. They also might be controlled at the store itself.

Bdubs

Quote from: giantsfan2016 on February 24, 2017, 08:08:34 PM
I was at both the Southington and Forestville stores in Connecticut this week. They still have the same music they always have playing, but now there's a generic announcer every so often that says "You're listening to the in-store audio network." What is the "in-store audio network?"
I've noticed the same thing at WalMart. The company Muzac, maintains the system at Stop & Shop. There is a receiver that gets updates wirelessly, so they can upload things such as Christmas music or ads for certain products throughout the year.

retailisking

This weathered exterior has seen better days, but it was pretty snazzy back in the day. The old-school S&S labelscar is clearly visible behind the current "fruit bowl" logo

giantsfan2016

A woman was arrested for defrauding the Forestville Stop & Shop of thousands of dollars between November 2016 and January 2017 by using fake bar codes.

http://www.bristolpress.com/BP-Bristol+News/280804/bristol-woman-defrauded-grocery-store-out-of-thousands-of-dollars-using-wrong-barcodes-police

This really makes me angry. Even though I'm no longer employed by the company, I'm sill friends with many employees who still work there. This will hurt them.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Brammy on April 27, 2017, 09:00:27 PM
A woman was arrested for defrauding the Forestville Stop & Shop of thousands of dollars between November 2016 and January 2017 by using fake bar codes.

http://www.bristolpress.com/BP-Bristol+News/280804/bristol-woman-defrauded-grocery-store-out-of-thousands-of-dollars-using-wrong-barcodes-police

This really makes me angry. Even though I'm no longer employed by the company, I'm sill friends with many employees who still work there. This will hurt them.

Fake bar codes?? How did she do that?

giantsfan2016

Quote from: Brammy on April 27, 2017, 09:00:27 PM

August 2017 update:

This is complete and utter  b u l l s h i t. The woman is not going to jail and was allowed to enroll in an Accelerated Rehabilitation program for first time offenders. She also has to pay restitution to Stop and Shop and is banned from all locations. Turns out she was doing it for a lot longer than November-January, but the camera footage they had only went back to November.

http://www.bristolpress.com/BP-Bristol+News/295839/bristol-woman-accused-in-grocery-store-scheme-granted-program

giantsfan2016

A hip-hop clothing store called Citi Trends has opened in the former Stop & Shop at 1245 Dixwell Avenue in Hamden, CT. I don't know how much of the store they took as I haven't been down there yet. Their Waterbury store in the plaza with Big Lots and Red White and Blue is just around 12,000 Square Feet.

http://www.cititrends.com/

standa

Quote from: Brammy on August 05, 2017, 09:55:19 PM
A hip-hop clothing store called Citi Trends has opened in the former Stop & Shop at 1245 Dixwell Avenue in Hamden, CT. I don't know how much of the store they took as I haven't been down there yet. Their Waterbury store in the plaza with Big Lots and Red White and Blue is just around 12,000 Square Feet.

They are about 12,600 sq ft

See link http://dlc.propertycapsule.com/properties/putnamplace/#plans

giantsfan2016

Quote from: Brammy on February 24, 2017, 08:08:34 PM
The "In-store audio network" is distributed by Compass Media Networks, which also distributes radio shows to hundreds of radio stations. I only found that out because I was looking up Compass Media Network for a totally unrelated purpose. The "In-store audio network" has hundreds of stores as "affiliates."

http://compassmedianetworks.com/index.php/advertisers/instore-audio/
http://instoreaudionetwork.com/

JimSawhill

Quote from: Brammy on August 05, 2017, 09:55:19 PM

CitiTrends is an interesting store...I been in it and I bought some stuff from there. Mostly it is an urban  (African American) store, but sneakers there got great prices.

giantsfan2016

They remodeled the bathrooms in the Stop & Shop on Farmington Avenue in Bristol. The store is 13 years old. Now if only they would remodel the bathrooms at the Pine Street store in Bristol (Forestville) and fix the damn broken clock.

standa

They repainted the inside of the Hamden, CT Stop & Shop. The walls are now all dark gray and the department signs are written in large white letters with a wood color background. The overall look reminds me more of a warehouse than a supermarket. Is your local Stop & Shop or Giant being repainted in this way too?

giantsfan2016

The last major remodel they did at Farmington Avenue in Bristol was in 2013 when they moved the floral department, built the cafe seating area, moved the bottle redemption area, and changed some of the astetics. Changing some of the colors, changing the design of the aisle signs, and adding fake "wood" on the walls. (Minor remodeling including some changes to the Bakery and Produce Departments in late 2015/Early 2016).

New Britain also has the new colors, fake wood, and new design of the aisle signs. Southington and Pine Street Bristol do not have these changes, but Southington and Pine Street got the changes they did to the Produce and Bakery Departments).

Pine Street Bristol and Centennial Plaza (the smaller store) in Meriden both need top to bottom remodels. Last time I was in the Centennial Plaza store in 2015 it looked like something out of the 80s. Plus they tried to cram too much stuff into too small of a space.

giantsfan2016

Quote from: standa on September 17, 2017, 07:52:58 AM
They repainted the inside of the Hamden, CT Stop & Shop. The walls are now all dark gray and the department signs are written in large white letters with a wood color background. The overall look reminds me more of a warehouse than a supermarket. Is your local Stop & Shop or Giant being repainted in this way too?

Southington Connecticut did this. Sometime within the last week. My Mom was in there last week and it wasn't done. Today we were there and it was. We also think they moved stuff around.

giantsfan2016

Quote from: ynkeesfn82 on June 04, 2015, 10:12:25 AM
Stop & Shop is attempting to build a 38,000 Square Foot Store in Litchfield, CT.

http://www.registercitizen.com/general-news/20150602/appeal-to-block-stop-shop-construction-in-litchfield-dismissed

There is already a location on West Street in Litchfield.

Okay. The new Stop & Shop in Litchfield, CT opened in June 2017. It replaced the West Street location which was only 24,000 Sqaure Feet. The map I saw shows its around the corner from their former location.

JJBers

Here's this Stop and Shop in Willimantic, renovated in the late-2000s.

Willimantic, Connecticut by JJBers, on Flickr
The Friendly's had to be renovated post-Hurricane Sandy due to heavy damage

Willimantic, Connecticut by JJBers, on Flickr
My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

JJBers

Here is some merchandise of the old Stop and Shop logo:

Some old Jell-O packets by JJBers, on Flickr
My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

giantsfan2016

Another massive rain and windstorm swept through Connecticut Sunday with the heaviest rain and wind occurring late Sunday night and into early Monday Morning. A video on Channel 3 shows damage to the Fenn Road Newington Stop & Shop. The ceiling fell down in places and the several inches of water cover the floor.

http://www.wfsb.com/story/36715519/storm-damages-newington-stop-shop?autostart=true

giantsfan2016

Mom had a doctor's appointment in New Britain and on the way home we stopped at the New Britain Stop & Shop. Despite it's location and that it's typically one of the lowest performer's in the district, it's nicer than the one we normally shop at on Pine Street in Bristol. (Forestville).

AmesNewington

The Fenn Road Newington Stop and Shop is remodeling yet again as we speak. Last time I went a few weeks ago, the wall décor was already stripped away and it also looks like aisles are being shifted by markings on the floor indicating what items will be in each aisle. Looks like a big overhaul. The store was remodeled only 5 years ago. It is clearly one of their best performing locations as there is really nothing in that area, despite a large portion of New Britain and CCSU being there. There is also the Elmwood Stop and Shop a few miles away, but that doesn't affect Fenn Road. Meanwhile, the Kitts Lane Stop and Shop gets a few minor updates every so often, but after 8 years being open, it largely still looks like a Shaw's. It is obvious they are there to prevent another grocer from coming in, but I just don't know how they can stay in business there. I also notice that larger Stop and Shops like Berlin and Rocky Hill have not seen a remodel since they opened (both opened in 2004).

Jstar1994

For the most part it seems that Stop and Shop renovates when they have competition. Berlin and Rocky hill have little to no competition, or the area they are located is a highly trafficked area. The turnpike Stop and Shop will probably stay open because of Aldi down the road, maybe they will receive a decent upgrade. I know the Berlin one has been doing small renos here and there.

giantsfan2016

The 10 year old Stop & Shop in Unionville, Connecticut is currently undergoing a remodel.  An employee found a wedding ring and is now trying to locate the owner.

FROM COURANT.COM

Worker Looking For Owner Of Wedding Ring After Finding It Under Lobster Tank At Local Stop & Shop
By Hayley Harding hharding@courant.com

Is your name Jessica or Layne? Does your spouse have the other name? Is there a chance you lost your wedding ring at the Unionville Stop & Shop in such a way it ended up under a lobster tank?

If you answered yes to any of those questions, there is hope you will soon be reunited with your lost jewelry.

Stop & Shop’s Unionville location is undergoing a major remodel right now, and when workers took down the lobster tank, they found a wedding ring underneath it. According to the inscription on the ring, it belongs to a person named either Jessica or Layne. As far as anyone might be able to tell, it’s been missing for quite a while, although a store manager declined to comment on the situation.

Sharon Nogiec, of Bristol, said that when she came into work, one of the workers approached her and asked if she knew of anyone with those names. Nogiec, who has worked in the store for eight of the 10 years it has been open, did not.

“I’ve been here for a while and I know a lot of our customers by name, but I don’t know anyone who it might be,” she said. “There was someone a while ago who spent a couple days going through the store, digging through the grapes and everything looking for a ring, but I have no idea if it would be the same person.”

Nogiec says she has made it her mission to find the person who owns the ring. She posted a description of the ring in Unionville Talks, a community Facebook group, and plans to post in other local groups as well.

Her Unionville Talks post has over 100 shares, and several people have commented on it with suggestions of who the owner might be.

One user requested help from St. Anthony, the patron saint of lost things, to find the ring’s owner. Another suggested it may belong to a waiter at Canton’s Saybrook Fish Restaurant named Layne.

One user went so far to reach out on Facebook to Laynes in Connecticut and ask them about it, although there has been no update on that particular lead.

Nogiec said she once lost her wedding ring right before leaving for vacation, and she was so stressed about it, she ended up heading home early. The ring was on the floor by the front door, but when she thought she lost her ring, she was devastated.

“They probably figured it would be gone forever,” Nogiec said. “I can’t stop thinking about it. Wouldn’t it be wonderful to bring that person back with their ring?”

She is now keeping the ring in a safe to keep it free from harm. If you think it may be yours, she says you should come to the store with some sort of evidence it belongs to you.

giantsfan2016

A posting on Stop and Shop's Facebook page mentions that many Connecticut Stop & Shop locations are being remodeled. Southington was completed at the end of 2017. As was another location. Unionville and Fenn Road Newington were recently redone. I heard from someone on this board that Kitts Lane in Newington is being rearranged. Hopefully they will do Pine Street Bristol. Besides the fact it's getting old and tired/rundown looking, the last time it was remodeled was like in 2008 or 2010. 

giantsfan2016

My Mom and I went shopping at Stop & Shop 695 in Cheshire, Connecticut today. While it doesn't look like it needs to be remodeled, I think it should only because the layout is kind of weird. Some parts of the store remind me of the New Britain location. The Cheshire location still has a salad bar.

standa

Does anyone have any idea what they mean by "fresh new format" for Stop & Shop? Will they remodel again all their stores?

http://www.theproducenews.com/the-produce-news-today-s-headlines/24733-ahold-delhaize-to-update-stop-shop-with-a-fresh-new-format

giantsfan2016

Quote from: standa on August 11, 2018, 09:37:01 PM
Does anyone have any idea what they mean by "fresh new format" for Stop & Shop? Will they remodel again all their stores?

http://www.theproducenews.com/the-produce-news-today-s-headlines/24733-ahold-delhaize-to-update-stop-shop-with-a-fresh-new-format

As mentioned in above posts by myself and others some of their Connecticut stores are currently being remodeled.

giantsfan2016

Store 645 at 1309 Corbin Avenue in New Britain is getting remodeled. They have a temporary banner with the store name on the front of the building. They removed other signs from the building. Their section of the plaza was repaved. Inside new paint job. New signs. They moved stuff around. As of today the new aisle signs don't tell you what's in each aisle. LOL. A sign by Customer Service says Proudly Serving New Britain since 2000. That's not entirely accurate. They opened in that location in 2000, but the New Britain Stop and Shop dates back to the 60s when they were on East Main Street. Later they were on Columbus BLVD.