Stop & Shop

Started by AmesNewington, April 02, 2005, 12:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillyGr

Quote from: JimSawhill on September 07, 2015, 06:35:52 PM
I wonder if Railroad Stores is around still...I guess not...it was an old Zayre's I believe or an old Barker's.

http://www.railroadstores.com/ - Looks like only one location at 1131 Campbell Avenue West Haven CT

JimSawhill

Quote from: BillyGr on September 07, 2015, 10:27:11 PM
I wonder if Railroad Stores is around still...I guess not...it was an old Zayre's I believe or an old Barker's.

http://www.railroadstores.com/ - Looks like only one location at 1131 Campbell Avenue West Haven CT

hmmmm....the site is parked at this time... ;(. I remember the East Windsor, CT store and they had a huge model railroad layout. It was the largest layout in the USA at the time (the 70s).

BillyGr

Quote from: JimSawhill on September 18, 2015, 10:40:38 PM
Quote from: BillyGr on September 07, 2015, 10:27:11 PM

hmmmm....the site is parked at this time... ;(. I remember the East Windsor, CT store and they had a huge model railroad layout. It was the largest layout in the USA at the time (the 70s).

Interesting - it was working on the 7th (that's how I found the address) but isn't now. Hmmm.....

ynkeesfn82

The Stop & Shop where I work (Store 642 Forestville, [Bristol] CT) has made some change. There's a new lay-out of the Produce Department. (It was implemented in October right before I got hired. The Bristol store redid their produce department too a couple months ago). They also redid the Bakery section of my store. There's a new Artisan Bread area and new displays for rolls, bagels, and muffins.

Also worth mentioning my store (and the other Bristol store) still has its in-store Dunkin Donuts. I wonder how many still have in-store Dunkin Donuts.

And one more question. Is there a list somewhere of what Stop & Shops had video stores in them? I know the old Farmington Ave store in Bristol did. My store was built after they got rid of the video stores and was built with the People's Bank inside (now People's United Bank). Southington and Simsbury (adjacent to the Farmington Valley Mall) had dry cleaners in them I think.

AmesNewington

The second Newington S&S (old Shaw's) got the new dimly lit Produce dept. They also replaced all lighting in the aisles, replacing the Shaws ceiling lights with strip lighting that falls just below the ceiling.

I'm wondering if S&S will renew the lease on this S&S as the lease for Shaw's was up in 2016. I still think this location would be a great spot for Christmas Tree Shop.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Marc B on November 01, 2015, 10:22:04 PM
The Stop & Shop where I work (Store 642 Forestville, [Bristol] CT) has made some change. There's a new lay-out of the Produce Department. (It was implemented in October right before I got hired. The Bristol store redid their produce department too a couple months ago). They also redid the Bakery section of my store. There's a new Artisan Bread area and new displays for rolls, bagels, and muffins.

They don't have any of this in Southington, Connecticut yet.

Bdubs

Also worth mentioning my store (and the other Bristol store) still has its in-store Dunkin Donuts. I wonder how many still have in-store Dunkin Donuts.

And one more question. Is there a list somewhere of what Stop & Shops had video stores in them? I know the old Farmington Ave store in Bristol did. My store was built after they got rid of the video stores and was built with the People's Bank inside (now People's United Bank). Southington and Simsbury (adjacent to the Farmington Valley Mall) had dry cleaners in them I think.

I am unaware of any Stop&Shops over on the Eastern side that still have DDs. Many of the leases have expired, and were replaced with a self serve coffee bar. There are however 2 stores down here (Montville and Groton) which have Starbucks in them. These two stores were one of the first stores remodeled with the "high end" set up. It was scrapped after only a handful of stores were remodeled.

As far as video stores, I know there was one in Groton, Norwich, and Wethersfield. Those are all older stores. Now, I haven't been to Wethersfield in like 8 years, but before they remodeled the store, "video return" slot was still on the outside in the front of the store on the right side.

standa

Quote from: Bdubs on November 02, 2015, 07:44:00 PM

I am unaware of any Stop&Shops over on the Eastern side that still have DDs. Many of the leases have expired, and were replaced with a self serve coffee bar. There are however 2 stores down here (Montville and Groton) which have Starbucks in them. These two stores were one of the first stores remodeled with the "high end" set up. It was scrapped after only a handful of stores were remodeled.

As far as video stores, I know there was one in Groton, Norwich, and Wethersfield. Those are all older stores. Now, I haven't been to Wethersfield in like 8 years, but before they remodeled the store, "video return" slot was still on the outside in the front of the store on the right side.

The Hamden Stop & Shop still has a Dunkin Donuts.

Scrabbleship

Employees at three Stop & Shop locations in the Mid-Hudson Valley report that their locations are up for sale.

The three in question are in Wappingers Falls, Rhinebeck, and New Paltz; the nearby Hannaford locations are a mile up US 9 in Wappingers Falls, Red Hook, and Modena/Highland. All 3 locations would be a great fit for Price Chopper or Acme.

BillyGr

Quote from: Scrabbleship on March 16, 2016, 01:49:50 PM
Employees at three Stop & Shop locations in the Mid-Hudson Valley report that their locations are up for sale.

The three in question are in Wappingers Falls, Rhinebeck, and New Paltz; the nearby Hannaford locations are a mile up US 9 in Wappingers Falls, Red Hook, and Modena/Highland. All 3 locations would be a great fit for Price Chopper or Acme.

While the article suggests that they don't expect any required stores to be divested, the Rhinebeck/Red Hook one would seem to be the one obvious spot for such to be required, as those two stores are the only supermarkets in that area (without crossing the river to Kingston, heading south to Hyde Park/Poughkeepsie or north to Livingston - and in 2 cases the next nearest stores are either Hannaford or S&S, with Kingston offering a couple other choices).

It probably also makes sense they'd get rid of the Stop & Shop there, as that is the most northern location in NY for that name - the others might just be whichever one is better.

Either of the two you mentioned would be options (and one wonders if Acme might just try expanding a bit more to add to the handful of A&P locations) though ShopRite could be another possibility to fill in (Rhinebeck) or replace an older store (New Paltz).  I'd guess the Wappinger's one is too close to existing ShopRite locations that are still useful?

Scrabbleship

Quote from: BillyGr on March 16, 2016, 03:16:11 PM
Quote from: Scrabbleship on March 16, 2016, 01:49:50 PM

While the article suggests that they don't expect any required stores to be divested, the Rhinebeck/Red Hook one would seem to be the one obvious spot for such to be required, as those two stores are the only supermarkets in that area (without crossing the river to Kingston, heading south to Hyde Park/Poughkeepsie or north to Livingston - and in 2 cases the next nearest stores are either Hannaford or S&S, with Kingston offering a couple other choices).

It probably also makes sense they'd get rid of the Stop & Shop there, as that is the most northern location in NY for that name - the others might just be whichever one is better.

Either of the two you mentioned would be options (and one wonders if Acme might just try expanding a bit more to add to the handful of A&P locations) though ShopRite could be another possibility to fill in (Rhinebeck) or replace an older store (New Paltz).  I'd guess the Wappinger's one is too close to existing ShopRite locations that are still useful?

The Wappingers S&S is equidistant to ShopRite's locations in Fishkill and the South Hills development in Poughkeepsie. A little too close for comfort.

I wonder what happens in Massachusetts with their divestitures there. S&S's flagship in North Quincy is literally across the Red Line/Commuter Rail tracks from a Hannaford.

BillyGr

Hannaford seems to have a fairly small # of stores in MA (around 30 I believe) which I think they got most, if not all, of from buying out another chain.  No idea what they have done since then in terms of newer or bigger buildings.
I would guess that in those areas they might tend to close the Hannaford locations over the Stop & Shop as that name is much more prevalent in MA, but I suppose it could be different if there is a location where S&S has an older, smaller or worse located store.

retailisking

Here are the proposed Massachusetts divestitures; Hannaford takes the biggest hit, and both banners would leave Gardner.

Hannaford

25 Robert Dr. Easton, MA
2 Timpany Blvd. Gardner, MA
182 Summer St. Kingston, MA
Medway Rd. Milford, MA
475 Hancock St. North Quincy, MA
10 Washington St. Norwell, MA
434 Walpole St. Norwood, MA
357 Broadway Saugus, MA

Stop & Shop

384 Timpany Blvd. Gardner, MA

Scrabbleship

Quote from: retailisking on March 21, 2016, 02:01:46 PM
Here are the proposed Massachusetts divestitures; Hannaford takes the biggest hit, and both banners would leave Gardner.

Hannaford

25 Robert Dr. Easton, MA
2 Timpany Blvd. Gardner, MA
182 Summer St. Kingston, MA
Medway Rd. Milford, MA
475 Hancock St. North Quincy, MA
10 Washington St. Norwell, MA
434 Walpole St. Norwood, MA
357 Broadway Saugus, MA

Stop & Shop

384 Timpany Blvd. Gardner, MA

I wonder what the point of selling both Gardner stores would be. Price Chopper's entry couldn't have hurt them that bad, could it?

These locations are Chopper's or Big Y's to lose since nobody else makes any other competitive sense.

retailisking

Quote from: Scrabbleship on March 21, 2016, 09:35:39 PM
I wonder what the point of selling both Gardner stores would be. Price Chopper's entry couldn't have hurt them that bad, could it?

These locations are Chopper's or Big Y's to lose since nobody else makes any other competitive sense.

There are also three Market Baskets in nearby towns - two in Fitchburg and a brand-new one in Athol. Perhaps one of the Gardner locations would interest them. The Walmart Supercenter expanded by 47,000 square feet in 2014 which greatly expanded its grocery offerings.

JimSawhill

Is there a list of stores up for sale? I know Connecticut shouldn't have any.

BillyGr

AmesNewington

Quote from: JimSawhill on March 26, 2016, 10:40:53 PM
Is there a list of stores up for sale? I know Connecticut shouldn't have any.

CT could afford to lose some locations. The second Newington and Vernon locations (former Shaws) come to mind. Yet they keep hanging on. There are so many other things that could have taken the Newington site.

JimSawhill

The old Newington Shaw's center doesn't have any of its original tenants. I know Media Play and Office Max (I used to work there, more merchandise was leaving the store via the back door than the front door.) are long gone. Who's in those stores now?

AmesNewington

Quote from: JimSawhill on March 29, 2016, 08:08:34 AM
The old Newington Shaw's center doesn't have any of its original tenants. I know Media Play and Office Max (I used to work there, more merchandise was leaving the store via the back door than the front door.) are long gone. Who's in those stores now?

Media Play has been Bob's Clothing since 2004. OfficeMax became Office Depot for a few years, before being vacant for a few years. Since 2014, it has been Planet Fitness. Petco and Party City are the longest tenants. They opened in 1996 (the first year of the shopping center), but they weren't the first tenants to open. Michael's is currently vacant (the only vacancy). They moved down to Home Depot Plaza in Berlin. Of course Stop and Shop is still in the old Shaw's. The restaurant pad in front is now Joey Garlics, a popular local pizzeria.

JimSawhill

Quote from: AmesNewington on March 29, 2016, 11:43:45 AM
Quote from: JimSawhill on March 29, 2016, 08:08:34 AM

Media Play has been Bob's Clothing since 2004. OfficeMax became Office Depot for a few years, before being vacant for a few years. Since 2014, it has been Planet Fitness. Petco and Party City are the longest tenants. They opened in 1996 (the first year of the shopping center), but they weren't the first tenants to open. Michael's is currently vacant (the only vacancy). They moved down to Home Depot Plaza in Berlin. Of course Stop and Shop is still in the old Shaw's. The restaurant pad in front is now Joey Garlics, a popular local pizzeria.

Pizzeria Uno closed? IIRC, there is a Dairy Queen across the street.

giantsfan2016

My Stop & Shop 781 Pine Street in Bristol (Forestville) was just voted "Best Grocery Store in Bristol" by the readers of The Bristol Observer. We have a very good crew in that store.

standa

Did anyone hear about these spaces for lease in Stop & Shop stores?
Are they getting rid of the banks?

http://www.keypointpartners.com/ahold-lis-page-test

giantsfan2016

Quote from: standa on September 23, 2016, 02:51:08 PM

My store isn't listed, but the other Bristol store is listed twice. Since my store isn't on there I don't know if I can ask anyone about it.

Bdubs

Quote from: standa on September 23, 2016, 02:51:08 PM

Some of the spaces are only 150 sq ft.   Too small for the banks, but I'm thinking possibly the old Dunkin Donut locations in the stores. Most of the stores just have them blocked off with shelving, space is just there sitting unused.

giantsfan2016

My Mom and I went to the Cheshire, Connecticut Stop & Shop the other day. It seems like the building is longer than the one I work at in Forestville and the one in Southington. Like Forestville the Cheshire store has 24 aisles, but the interior is more modern than Forestville, Southington, and even New Britain.

Bdubs

Quote from: Marc B on October 27, 2016, 12:27:37 PM
My Mom and I went to the Cheshire, Connecticut Stop & Shop the other day. It seems like the building is longer than the one I work at in Forestville and the one in Southington. Like Forestville the Cheshire store has 24 aisles, but the interior is more modern than Forestville, Southington, and even New Britain.

That Cheshire store was a brand new store back in 02 or 03.  It was one of their first "prototypes" featuring a lot of Red & Green throughout the store. The old store was a little old school "coventional" store that was located only a few hundred yards in the front parking lot. I worked for Stop & Shop back in the late 99s through mid 00's closing all the old non super Stop&Shops and opening a few stores throughout the state during their rapid expansion which ultimately ended up saturating the market and forced them to close a few stores during the economic downturn.
I worked at the Forestville store for like a week, also closed the old Bristol store when the built the new one right next to it. 

giantsfan2016

Anyone know what Stop & Shop at 1235 Farmington Avenue in West Hartford used to be? I saw a picture of it on Google Maps and it looks small and it looks like it may have been something else at one time. I know the reviewers on YELP say it's a tiny store.

RoleModel

Quote from: Marc B on January 13, 2017, 09:52:48 PM
Anyone know what Stop & Shop at 1235 Farmington Avenue in West Hartford used to be? I saw a picture of it on Google Maps and it looks small and it looks like it may have been something else at one time. I know the reviewers on YELP say it's a tiny store.

Looks like it was an A&P Centennial with that distinctive front and weathervane. There's a Stop & Shop in Southampton, NY they picked up in the A&P bankruptcy that looks like that.

Bdubs

Quote from: Marc B on January 13, 2017, 09:52:48 PM

There used to be an A&P across the street, it has the similar weathervane set up. It's a CVS now. I'm pretty sure that store was built as a Stop&Shop, the town never let them expand due to its location. It truly is an old school store. They still have an "ground level loading dock" which means, trucks pull up to the back door and a lift comes up from ground level of the parking lot to reach the trailer to pull the pallets off. Only other store I remember that was like that was Bristol, which is long gone.