Stop & Shop

Started by AmesNewington, April 02, 2005, 12:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retailisking

Quote from: standa on May 11, 2015, 09:39:27 AM
Ahold and Delhaize might merge

The only significant US overlap between the two companies is in Massachusetts, and even that would be manageable. I think there could be some issues with Food Lion/Giant-Landover/Martin's as well.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-05-11/ahold-delhaize-shares-soar-in-europe-on-reports-of-merger-talks

Would the US properties be sold off? Given that a combined Ahold-Delhaize would only have 4 percent of the US grocery market, a spinoff of most stores to Kroger seems logical.

Joeg

It should be an interesting few months!!

BillyGr

Quote from: retailisking on May 11, 2015, 02:26:10 PM

The only significant US overlap between the two companies is in Massachusetts, and even that would be manageable. I think there could be some issues with Food Lion/Giant-Landover/Martin's as well.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-05-11/ahold-delhaize-shares-soar-in-europe-on-reports-of-merger-talks

Would the US properties be sold off? Given that a combined Ahold-Delhaize would only have 4 percent of the US grocery market, a spinoff of most stores to Kroger seems logical.

It might only be 4% of the overall US (which makes sense as they only cover a few states along the east coast), but they have several areas where they have to be more than that. 
For example, in upstate NY most places it's only Hannaford and Price Chopper (a few scattered ShopRite stores in the Albany area), in Western MA it's only Stop & Shop, Big Y and Price Chopper (but no PC in the Springfield area, though so only the 2 chains there).

Unlike an area like NJ where there are 5 or 6 chains within a fairly small area most places competing with S&S.

retailisking

Quote from: BillyGr on May 12, 2015, 11:47:09 AM
It might only be 4% of the overall US (which makes sense as they only cover a few states along the east coast), but they have several areas where they have to be more than that.

Good point, and that will certainly factor into the FTC's review of any such merger. That said, a combined Ahold/Delhaize is still dwarfed by Albertsons/Safeway, Kroger and Walmart in the grocery arena.

Bobsketball

Blecch... another budget-busting supermarket merger. I'm sure both Ahold and Food Lion will close brand new, loaded stores due to this, but keep old, small, yucky ones open. The Delaware Valley won't be affected with Bottom Dollar gone, but the supermarket mergers involving that area have almost always been good at "maximizing shareholder value" (gee what a load of frickin stuffe) while not considering the long-term effects on the chains bought and sold, or the communities they operate in. Here are some ideas for mergers and other marketing decisions based on LOGIC and COMMON SENSE that I wish had been done:

1. Safeway (instead of buying Genuardi's and making it suck) should have bought pieces of Acme, Pathmark, and Super Fresh, closing a few overlapping stores, which then would hopefully end up as ethnic supermarkets.

2. Years and years ago, when A&P, Pantry Pride (Food Fair), and Acme Super Saver were closing stores in the Delaware Valley, these stores should have ended up as Save-A-Lot or similar chains right away, instead of being Thriftway or Shop N Bag for a period of time. And the ex-supermarkets from the four chains in richer areas should have become Whole Foods or similar chain much earlier.

3. Wegmans should have never entered. Their stores certainly have shaken up the supermarket world, and have a very loyal following, but the chain (from the state of New York) seems to not really understand the supermarket traditions of the Delaware Valley. And sure, Wegmans stores are of a gigantic size, but are filled with knickknacks and dollar store crap. Wegmans prepared foods also aren't really any good... their sushi sucks compared to Whole Foods or Trader Joe's sushi, or even Giant sushi in my experience.

4. Super G shouldn't have been forced by the FTC to leave the Delaware Valley. I would have liked seeing the Giant/Martin's stores in the region closing instead, and the overlapping Super G stores staying open. Also it would be nice if Super G thoroughly blanketed Southeastern PA the way Giant/Martin's has.

5. Super G should have bought Genuardi's instead of Giant/Martin's buying Genuardi's.

6. ShopRite should have bought Weis but should have stayed out of the Delaware Valley otherwise.

7. Grand Union should have bought any overlapping stores during the various Safeway acquisitions of Acme, Pathmark, and Super Fresh.

8. Albertsons should have entered the region in place of Wegmans.

9. Safeway should have Pak N $ave Foods stores (as they do on the West Coast) in place of some of the urban ShopRite stores where other grocers would avoid.

10. Kroger should have bought some of the older, smaller Pathmark stores (ones that perhaps started as ShopRite before Pathmark broke off from ShopRite). This would have long ago given Kroger a similar foothold in the Delaware Valley as they have in some low-income areas in the South and Midwest.

Any questions or comments?

JimSawhill

Quote from: BillyGr on May 12, 2015, 11:47:09 AM
Quote from: retailisking on May 11, 2015, 02:26:10 PM

For example, in upstate NY most places it's only Hannaford and Price Chopper (a few scattered ShopRite stores in the Albany area), in Western MA it's only Stop & Shop, Big Y and Price Chopper (but no PC in the Springfield area, though so only the 2 chains there).

Unlike an area like NJ where there are 5 or 6 chains within a fairly small area most places competing with S&S.

I would like to see some S&S sold to Wegmans. I think you might see 1 or 2 chains sold. Just my humble opinion.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Bobsketball on May 12, 2015, 09:20:49 PM
Blecch... another budget-busting supermarket merger. I'm sure both Ahold and Food Lion will close brand new, loaded stores due to this, but keep old, small, yucky ones open. The Delaware Valley won't be affected with Bottom Dollar gone, but the supermarket mergers involving that area have almost always been good at "maximizing shareholder value" (gee what a load of frickin stuffe) while not considering the long-term effects on the chains bought and sold, or the communities they operate in. Here are some ideas for mergers and other marketing decisions based on LOGIC and COMMON SENSE that I wish had been done:

1. Safeway (instead of buying Genuardi's and making it suck) should have bought pieces of Acme, Pathmark, and Super Fresh, closing a few overlapping stores, which then would hopefully end up as ethnic supermarkets.

2. Years and years ago, when A&P, Pantry Pride (Food Fair), and Acme Super Saver were closing stores in the Delaware Valley, these stores should have ended up as Save-A-Lot or similar chains right away, instead of being Thriftway or Shop N Bag for a period of time. And the ex-supermarkets from the four chains in richer areas should have become Whole Foods or similar chain much earlier.

3. Wegmans should have never entered. Their stores certainly have shaken up the supermarket world, and have a very loyal following, but the chain (from the state of New York) seems to not really understand the supermarket traditions of the Delaware Valley. And sure, Wegmans stores are of a gigantic size, but are filled with knickknacks and dollar store crap. Wegmans prepared foods also aren't really any good... their sushi sucks compared to Whole Foods or Trader Joe's sushi, or even Giant sushi in my experience.

4. Super G shouldn't have been forced by the FTC to leave the Delaware Valley. I would have liked seeing the Giant/Martin's stores in the region closing instead, and the overlapping Super G stores staying open. Also it would be nice if Super G thoroughly blanketed Southeastern PA the way Giant/Martin's has.

5. Super G should have bought Genuardi's instead of Giant/Martin's buying Genuardi's.

6. ShopRite should have bought Weis but should have stayed out of the Delaware Valley otherwise.

7. Grand Union should have bought any overlapping stores during the various Safeway acquisitions of Acme, Pathmark, and Super Fresh.

8. Albertsons should have entered the region in place of Wegmans.

9. Safeway should have Pak N $ave Foods stores (as they do on the West Coast) in place of some of the urban ShopRite stores where other grocers would avoid.

10. Kroger should have bought some of the older, smaller Pathmark stores (ones that perhaps started as ShopRite before Pathmark broke off from ShopRite). This would have long ago given Kroger a similar foothold in the Delaware Valley as they have in some low-income areas in the South and Midwest.

Any questions or comments?

I know it's your opinion, but most people are happy with Wegmans.

Bobsketball

True but aside from the more upscale decor elements, most Wegmans stores are a nightmare from the eyes of a supermarket history buff... and not just because the stores are so big. Also, I have bad feelings about Wegmans because their stores always seem to be in the neighborhoods with the most sprawl and least care given to aesthetics and appearances.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Bobsketball on May 19, 2015, 06:11:39 PM
True but aside from the more upscale decor elements, most Wegmans stores are a nightmare from the eyes of a supermarket history buff... and not just because the stores are so big. Also, I have bad feelings about Wegmans because their stores always seem to be in the neighborhoods with the most sprawl and least care given to aesthetics and appearances.

So, you think they should be in the inner cities? I like sprawl, because that means people are moving upscale. The supermarket business is cut-throat and the bigger the square footage, the more profitably the supermarket can be because of the profitably of non groceries.

MikeRa

Quote from: Bobsketball on May 12, 2015, 09:20:49 PM
At the time Safeway would have to talk to Albertsons (Owner of Acme), The Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company (Owner of Super Fresh), and Pathmark Stores

Quote2. Years and years ago, when A&P, Pantry Pride (Food Fair), and Acme Super Saver were closing stores in the Delaware Valley, these stores should have ended up as Save-A-Lot or similar chains right away, instead of being Thriftway or Shop N Bag for a period of time. And the ex-supermarkets from the four chains in richer areas should have become Whole Foods or similar chain much earlier.
Save-A-Lot had only started 1.5 years before Food Fair/Hills/Pantry Pride declared bankruptcy, so it probaly wouldn't make sense.  The Thriftway stores (Fleming Food Company's Co-op) and Shop n' Bag (Frankford-Quaker Grocery Company's Co-op) made sense because they were all local owners who were familiar with the area, the same with the ShopRite Co-op.  Whole Foods didn't start expanding out of Texas until 1988

Quote6. ShopRite should have bought Weis but should have stayed out of the Delaware Valley otherwise.
ShopRite was already back in Philadelphia when one of their members bought the former Pantry Pride on Frankford Avenue in the Mayfair section back in 1979

Quote7. Grand Union should have bought any overlapping stores during the various Safeway acquisitions of Acme, Pathmark, and Super Fresh.
Grand Union would have still declared Bankruptcy in 2001

Quote8. Albertsons should have entered the region in place of Wegmans.
Albertsons was already in the region when they acquired American Stores Company, owner of Acme, back in the late 1990's
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

ynkeesfn82

Stop & Shop is attempting to build a 38,000 Square Foot Store in Litchfield, CT.

http://www.registercitizen.com/general-news/20150602/appeal-to-block-stop-shop-construction-in-litchfield-dismissed

There is already a location on West Street in Litchfield.

FitchMike26

That's a really tiny store.

FitchMike26

Good to know.

Down here in PA, Giant-Carlisle is mostly building 60,000 - 75,000 sq ft stores. They built one in Kutztown PA two years ago that was 50,000 sq ft and described it themselves as "small" in multiple media stories (despite the fact that the store has plenty of land to expand on in the future).

I only see new construction Stop & Shop stores in NJ, and they are usually identical to the stores Giant-Carlisle is currently building. And for good measure, I also haven't seen a new construction Giant-Landover lately.

Bobsketball

Quote from: FitchMike26 on June 04, 2015, 06:17:28 PM
Good to know.

Down here in PA, Giant-Carlisle is mostly building 60,000 - 75,000 sq ft stores. They built one in Kutztown PA two years ago that was 50,000 sq ft and described it themselves as "small" in multiple media stories (despite the fact that the store has plenty of land to expand on in the future).

I only see new construction Stop & Shop stores in NJ, and they are usually identical to the stores Giant-Carlisle is currently building. And for good measure, I also haven't seen a new construction Giant-Landover lately.

The fairly new Giant in Ephrata (north of Lancaster) is also small. Yes, it's in a small town, but I'm surprised they didn't make it bigger considering a Walmart Supercenter is a block away. At the other end of town is a Redner's that according to Internet lore was originally a Giant that closed way back in 1986. I have no idea when that Giant opened or why it closed.

Prediction: maybe the Kmart in Ephrata will close and become a big Giant? I don't picture a Giant at that site replacing the small Giant (at the other end of town), but maybe a Kmart-turned-Giant in this scenario will win over Redner's customers and customers from the Weis near the Redner's.

Also, the Giant in Leola (an even smaller Lancaster County village than Ephrata) opened in 1996 and seems to have NEVER been remodeled. So I figure they must be wanting to relocate it eventually, maybe into New Holland (the next town east) whose only supermarket right now is a Grocery Outlet, which until recently was an Amelia's and originally was a Weis.

When this Giant does relocate, I get the feeling the IGA in nearby East Earl will go out of business. That itself raises this question: what will happen to the toy truck collection the IGA has on display? These trucks are almost all retail trucks. A 60's/70's Acme truck and an 80's Giant truck are two of the ones on display. Acme used to have a store in New Holland that opened in 1965. It closed in the 80's, then was a CVS, which ended up relocating in the 2010s (it always was a big CVS, but couldn't add a drive-thru pharmacy without starting over). Advance Auto Parts now is in the Acme/CVS building.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Marc B on June 04, 2015, 10:12:25 AM
Stop & Shop is attempting to build a 38,000 Square Foot Store in Litchfield, CT.

http://www.registercitizen.com/general-news/20150602/appeal-to-block-stop-shop-construction-in-litchfield-dismissed

There is already a location on West Street in Litchfield.

I hope Litchfield won't accept it... :)

ynkeesfn82

Stop & Shop is closing their store in Manalapan, New Jersey in July. At one time it was a Grand Union.

http://www.app.com/story/money/business/main-street/2015/06/10/stop-shop-manalapan/71031254/

JimSawhill

Quote from: Marc B on June 22, 2015, 03:05:50 PM
Stop & Shop is closing their store in Manalapan, New Jersey in July. At one time it was a Grand Union.

http://www.app.com/story/money/business/main-street/2015/06/10/stop-shop-manalapan/71031254/

It will become a new Grand Union.. ;D ;D

mixedday

Is there any chance Ahold (Stop&Shop) would consider entering back into South Jersey? Ahold last sold their South Jersey stores to ShopRite owners. But there are other vacant sites and places they could open a few stores. They have a store in Manchester Township, NJ which is a mere 30 miles east of Marlton. Marlton only has a ShopRite, Whole Foods and Trader Joes as far as competing stores.

But it's odd to me that Ahold is in Delaware and PA suburbs of the Philly region (via Giant-Carlisle), but decided to pull out of South Jersey entirely.

On another note, I think Ahold will have too many stores in Northern Delaware with Food Lion and Giant-MD. Will the Food Lion stores convert banner to Giant-MD?

JimSawhill

Quote from: mixedday on July 10, 2015, 11:35:54 PM
Is there any chance Ahold (Stop&Shop) would consider entering back into South Jersey? Ahold last sold their South Jersey stores to ShopRite owners. But there are other vacant sites and places they could open a few stores. They have a store in Manchester Township, NJ which is a mere 30 miles east of Marlton. Marlton only has a ShopRite, Whole Foods and Trader Joes as far as competing stores.

But it's odd to me that Ahold is in Delaware and PA suburbs of the Philly region (via Giant-Carlisle), but decided to pull out of South Jersey entirely.

On another note, I think Ahold will have too many stores in Northern Delaware with Food Lion and Giant-MD. Will the Food Lion stores convert banner to Giant-MD?

Mixedday: Ahold, IMHO, should sell Hanniford and/or S&S. Both stores are mismanaged after they were bought by Ahole (S&S) and Delhaize (Hanniford)

mixedday

Quote from: JimSawhill on July 11, 2015, 07:18:22 AM

Mixedday: Ahold, IMHO, should sell Hanniford and/or S&S. Both stores are mismanaged after they were bought by Ahole (S&S) and Delhaize (Hanniford)

Interesting. Which chains could likely buy S&S out? Could Kroger be interested in running unionized grocery stores in NJ and competing against ShopRite? The Stop&Shop stores are in much better condition, than the Pathmark/A&P stores which are generally in dilapidated condition.

I think Stop&Shop sold out of South Jersey because of Wegmans that opened in CH and Mt.Laurel near 4-5 stores. However, I don't think Wegmans will open up any new stores in SJ, especially any smaller stores. Also as A&P** and Genuardi's has pulled out of SJ, the competitive environment might favor a new entrant.

**Technically A&P has some stores in Southern NJ by the shore still. One Pathmark and 3 Superfresh stores. I wondered why at this point, A&P didn't convert the Pathmark of Ventnor to the Superfresh banner. But in either event, I don't think A&P is in it for the long term with those stores.

Chuck E. Cheese

Been to some "Super" Stop & Shops in CT. I Really Like the old Logo Text. It Goes well with Giant & Martin's.

FitchMike26

I would love to see Ahold return to the South Jersey market, especially if they operated the stores as Giant-Carlisle. But it will probably never happen.

MikeRa

I can see Food Lion in Northern Delaware either converting to Giant-Landover, or if one store (Food Lion/Giant-MD) is close to another, one of the 2 being sold.  The same in MD and VA (Food Lion/Giant-Landover/Martin's)
Quote from: FitchMike26 on July 11, 2015, 04:20:08 PM
I would love to see Ahold return to the South Jersey market, especially if they operated the stores as Giant-Carlisle. But it will probably never happen.
It won't, since Giant-Carlisle is non-union, and Stop & Shop is union.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

Whoser

Grabbed photos of the vacant Orange location. Will upload soon

ynkeesfn82

My Mom and I had some errands to run in Meriden and we stopped at the Centennial Plaza Stop & Shop. It's small and dated. It's around 45,000 Square Feet and it looks like something out of the 1980s. Meriden has a modern Stop & Shop on Broad Street. I think they should make the Centennial Plaza store a modern store by moving it into the vacant spot that was Railroad Salvage (and I think AMES some time before that) in the same plaza. I don't know a lot about retail history of Meriden, but I heard that this Stop & Shop was a Shoprite before they moved to Townline Square on South Broad Street in 1987. (They have since moved to North Colony Rd in Wallingford).

BillyGr

Quote from: Marc B on September 05, 2015, 05:38:13 PM
My Mom and I had some errands to run in Meriden and we stopped at the Centennial Plaza Stop & Shop. It's small and dated. It's around 45,000 Square Feet and it looks like something out of the 1980s. Meriden has a modern Stop & Shop on Broad Street. I think they should make the Centennial Plaza store a modern store by moving it into the vacant spot that was Railroad Salvage (and I think AMES some time before that) in the same plaza. I don't know a lot about retail history of Meriden, but I heard that this Stop & Shop was a Shoprite before they moved to Townline Square on South Broad Street in 1987. (They have since moved to North Colony Rd in Wallingford).

Unless that is intentional?  Seems like whenever an older (smaller) store closes you hear people complaining that it is more difficult to go to other places.  Perhaps they figured keeping one smaller store and one larger in a town would keep everyone happy?

ynkeesfn82

If they do want to keep a smaller size store maybe they should modernize it a little bit and perhaps make better use out of the little space they do have. It seems cramped. I was actually surprised that a store that small has self-checkout and a People's United Bank branch.

Normally we wouldn't have gone to this store. We were hitting the Savers and the Mall via the back roads from Southington - Route 10 to Meriden Avenue then Meriden Ave to Route 322 (Meriden-Waterbury Road) which turns into West Main Street. My Mom saw the sign for the Stop & Shop and she was like "I forgot I have business to take care of at my bank. I hope this Stop & Shop has a branch in it."

JimSawhill

Quote from: Marc B on September 05, 2015, 05:38:13 PM

I wonder if Railroad Stores is around still...I guess not...it was an old Zayre's I believe or an old Barker's.