Stop & Shop

Started by AmesNewington, April 02, 2005, 12:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zayre88

Quote from: retailisking on September 01, 2013, 07:57:14 PM
Great minds think alike...  8)
http://exeter.patch.com/groups/business-news/p/is-hannaford-coming-to-exeter

They did it in Kennebunk, they know exactly how to do it again and at what cost.

standa

Do you have any idea what could be a good replacement for the Stop & Shop in southern Hamden, CT which closed last week?  This store was located, as you may know, next to an Ames for a few years from 1989, when it opened, to the early 90s, when that Ames closed down.

The town would like to have another supermarket there.  What chains would want to locate a supermarket in a 60,000 sq ft space?  I can think of Big Y, PriceChopper and Walmart Neighborhood Market as the only ones in that category who appear to be sort of expanding in CT, although slowly.   Do you think any of them may be interested?  Currently, besides the other Stop & Shop, Hamden has Shoprite (in the former Shaw's), Pricerite and Sav-a-Lot(near the closed Stop & Shop).
Are there any other stores you suggest?
If the space is subdivided it could accomodate something like Aldi, Savers, Ocean State Job Lot, or Big Lots, none of which are full service supermarkets.

Here is the link to the shopping center leasing webpage if you are interested in seeing it.

http://dlc.propertycapsule.com/properties/putnamplace/#overview

standa

This is the first time that Stop & Shop is closing several New England stores within a few months.

Joeg

Won't be the last..... keep tuned!

Bdubs

Two Stop & Shops that come to mind that, in my opinion, that would be on their chopping block are Vernon and Newington, both former Shaw's, and only a few miles down the road from a larger Stop & Shop.

Aside from just riding out their leases, shutting the stores down and holding onto the vacant stores, I would see this being cheaper than running a store in the red.

Ames Newington

Quote from: Bdubs on December 07, 2013, 10:37:18 PM
Two Stop & Shops that come to mind that, in my opinion, that would be on their chopping block are Vernon and Newington, both former Shaw's, and only a few miles down the road from a larger Stop & Shop.

Aside from just riding out their leases, shutting the stores down and holding onto the vacant stores, I would see this being cheaper than running a store in the red.

I agree. I LOVE the location and the size of the Newington Shaw's/Stop and Shop, but the building is being wasted in my opinion. It hasn't got a real renovation since 1996 when Shaw's opened. A minor remodel to the front and a few aisles was done in 2001, but that's it. Granted, the employees are nice at S&S, however, the store is not needed there. S&S doesn't even have to keep it empty if they close it. Just lease it to a non-grocery type store like Christmas Tree Shop or something similar or even multiple tenants. That spot would go quick because it's right off the Berlin Turnpike, and it's a big space, which is not really available on the Pike at the moment.

bubcolbert1952

When did the Stop & Shop in Chelsea, MA (next to Boston) open? Also, when did it close? All I know for sure is that at least part of this space is now a Save-A-Lot, and the Bradlees next to it is now a Home Depot.

JimSawhill

RoleModel

First Stop & Shop gas station on LI opened earlier in the week, in Farmingville.

ynkeesfn82

Long Island Stop & Shop (and King Kullen) employees sign new 14 month Union contract.

From the all new 103.9 Long Island News Radio in Islip, Long Island - http://linewsradio.com/local-supermarket-employees-stay-job/

d_fife

is Waterbury as bad as Hartford, Bridgeport and New haven (those 3 are among the most dangerous cities in the US)

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: d_fife on March 05, 2014, 10:11:52 PM
is Waterbury as bad as Hartford, Bridgeport and New haven (those 3 are among the most dangerous cities in the US)

Some parts yes. Particularly the areas surrounding The Brass Mill Mall & Commons. Oh and people are also advised to stay away from Sin City Night Club on Freight Street. Lots of drug dealings, shootings, and other shady goings on there.

standa

Did anyone hear about the Stop & Shop in East Hartford, CT closing? Its space seems to be for lease (see link)
http://www.chartweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/OAK-CHARTER-OAK-MALL-FLYER.pdf

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: standa on March 25, 2014, 08:25:45 AM
Did anyone hear about the Stop & Shop in East Hartford, CT closing? Its space seems to be for lease (see link)
http://www.chartweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/OAK-CHARTER-OAK-MALL-FLYER.pdf

Don't know. Stop & Shop's website still shows it in that location.

Ames Newington

I went to the Stop and Shop in Newington in the old Shaw's over the weekend, and I still can't believe they are still open. They haven't done much since they took over Shaw's besides rearranging all of the aisles. It's neat and organized, but the place was dead compared to Price Chopper down the street.

TRU7536

Quote from: Ames Newington on March 25, 2014, 01:52:27 PM
I went to the Stop and Shop in Newington in the old Shaw's over the weekend, and I still can't believe they are still open. They haven't done much since they took over Shaw's besides rearranging all of the aisles. It's neat and organized, but the place was dead compared to Price Chopper down the street.

Even when it was Shaws it was pretty dead. Way to many supermarkets if you ask me around the area. It's to bad, would have loved Shop Rite to come into town.

TRU7536

Quote from: Marc B on March 25, 2014, 12:35:04 PM
Quote from: standa on March 25, 2014, 08:25:45 AM

Don't know. Stop & Shop's website still shows it in that location.

When a landlord does something like this, it's a good indication the store will close soon. There aren't that many supermarkets in that area.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: TRU7536 on March 25, 2014, 05:30:29 PM
When a landlord does something like this, it's a good indication the store will close soon. There aren't that many supermarkets in that area.

Sometimes. RK Centers had Ruby Tuesday in the Queen Plaza in Southington, Connecticut listed as a Future Vacancy several times and it's still open. Right now they have Ruby Tuesday listed as a Current Vacancy and Hot Tans listed as a Future Vacancy. Both are open.

http://www.rkcenters.com/property-pdfs/SOUTHINGTON.pdf

Ames Newington

Quote from: TRU7536 on March 25, 2014, 05:27:40 PM
Quote from: Ames Newington on March 25, 2014, 01:52:27 PM

Even when it was Shaws it was pretty dead. Way to many supermarkets if you ask me around the area. It's to bad, would have loved Shop Rite to come into town.

Well, I always never cared for Price Chopper on the Turnpike. Preferred the one in Southington. There aren't many great supermarkets in the vicinity of the Turnpike. S&S is not the best option. The new Best Market is great, but not always meant for a weekly shopping trip. The only affordable weekly shopping option is ShopRite, and we shop in West Hartford where I work. I would love to have one at least in Berlin. That would be ideal. A&P and Shaw's were always my family's go-to supermarkets. I miss A&P (I called it Foodmart) the most. I miss Berlin, Newington and West Hartford. As old as the store was, they were a solid choice that felt like family.

Stork of The Weak

When did the Stop & Shop in Manchester, CT close? It was next to a Bradlees that closed along with the rest of the chain. But could the Stop & Shop have closed even earlier? The Stop & Shop signs were taken down from the building and street even though the Bradlees signs stayed up, which I guess was because most people in CT would know the Bradlees chain was gone, but could be fooled by a Stop & Shop sign to think the store is still open, because the chain still exists.

Ames Newington

Quote from: Stork of The Weak on April 19, 2014, 09:27:13 PM
When did the Stop & Shop in Manchester, CT close? It was next to a Bradlees that closed along with the rest of the chain. But could the Stop & Shop have closed even earlier? The Stop & Shop signs were taken down from the building and street even though the Bradlees signs stayed up, which I guess was because most people in CT would know the Bradlees chain was gone, but could be fooled by a Stop & Shop sign to think the store is still open, because the chain still exists.

It's my experience that stores that move to a different location down the road from the old location that are still in business take their signage down immediately. Most of the signage on stores that have went out of business completely like Bradlees and Ames usually stayed up for years or until a new tenant came in because the bankrupt companies didn't care to or couldn't afford to have signage removed from the building.

standa

I think there is still a Stop & Shop near that location, in a newer, larger building.

standa

Quote from: Marc B on April 19, 2014, 08:52:09 PM
I don't understand why Stop & Shop keeps the small 46,000 Square Foot store in Centennial Plaza open. There's a vacant 70,000 Square Foot former Railroad Salvage in the same plaza. They should move there. The other Meriden location is on Broad Street.

I think Stop & Shop probably leases that larger building which was once Ames and pays it to stay empty. I  also read once that there were flooding problems with it.

Stork of The Weak

Why did the King's in Manchester become a Bradlees? I thought all King's stores either became Ames or closed. Did Ames already have a Manchester store? Even if they did, it probably would have made sense to move to the former King's site which probably was a little bit bigger and otherwise nicer.

ynkeesfn82

When did the Stop & Shop in Manchester, CT close?

I spent numerous hours yesterday going through different websites and archives of The Hartford Courant and I could not find the answer to your question. They moved to an adjacent plaza nearby.

Stork of The Weak

Did the Stop & Shop in Pennington NJ used to go by another name? I'm thinking it was either a Super G or Edwards if not both, which is entirely possible.

MikeRa

Quote from: Stork of The Weak on May 19, 2014, 01:48:30 PM
Did the Stop & Shop in Pennington NJ used to go by another name? I'm thinking it was either a Super G or Edwards if not both, which is entirely possible.
I would guess it went under the Edwards name if it opened before 1998, when Giant [MD] was acquired by Ahold.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"