Stop & Shop

Started by AmesNewington, April 02, 2005, 12:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

standa

Quote from: MikeRa on May 19, 2014, 03:33:40 PM
Quote from: Stork of The Weak on May 19, 2014, 01:48:30 PM
Did the Stop & Shop in Pennington NJ used to go by another name? I'm thinking it was either a Super G or Edwards if not both, which is entirely possible.
I would guess it went under the Edwards name if it opened before 1998, when Giant [MD] was acquired by Ahold.

According to this property link, it started as a Super G

http://www.gelcor.com/properties.cfm?propertyID=9

Stork of The Weak

Quote from: standa on May 19, 2014, 04:06:30 PM
Quote from: MikeRa on May 19, 2014, 03:33:40 PM
Quote from: Stork of The Weak on May 19, 2014, 01:48:30 PM
Did the Stop & Shop in Pennington NJ used to go by another name? I'm thinking it was either a Super G or Edwards if not both, which is entirely possible.
I would guess it went under the Edwards name if it opened before 1998, when Giant [MD] was acquired by Ahold.

According to this property link, it started as a Super G

http://www.gelcor.com/properties.cfm?propertyID=9

Thanks! It's remarkable the store opened in 2005, because that means it would have been a Super G for less than a year. I had thought the last new Super G stores had opened in 2001 (when Edwards was renamed Super G) but guess not.

ynkeesfn82

Looks like the Stop & Shop on Fenn Road in Newington, Connecticut is getting a gas station. The landlord of the plaza is going through the Newington Planning & Zoning Commission to get approval to build a gas station.

Stork of The Weak

When was the previous Stop & Shop logo first used? Was it in 1982 at the same time the Super Stop & Shop stores first opened?

Joeg

Yes, i think that was the changeover year.

standa

My local Stop & shop in Hamden seems to be rearranging many of its aisles. Did they recently do something similar at your local store?  In what ways will the end result look different from the previous layout?

RoleModel

Quote from: standa on July 13, 2014, 06:01:01 PM
My local Stop & shop in Hamden seems to be rearranging many of its aisles. Did they recently do something similar at your local store?  In what ways will the end result look different from the previous layout?

My local store on LI was completely remodeled last year. A few others got layout changes, particularly half aisles for soda/water, GM and the bargain aisle. Another local store got a lazy remodel just recently, and it looks like they barely did anything besides decor, cutting out a aisle for the organic section, and removing a regular register for a Scan-It register.

standa

Ahold bought an upscale market in Providence, RI. I wonder if Eastside will become another Ahold chain.

http://wpri.com/2014/07/22/eastside-marketplace-bought-by-stop-shop-owner/

Joeg

They just started the EDLP in the East Hartford store.

TRU7536

Quote from: Joeg on July 26, 2014, 09:01:23 AM

Do we know why the stop and shop in East Hartford close? They did relocate to another site in EH?

Bdubs

I don't think the E Hartford location closed. Pretty sure its still open.

Joeg

No, it hasn't closed yet.  I think they renewed there lease, however business has not been booming since EDLP has been in placed.

Bdubs

Stop & Shop Middletown has the oldest cart corral signs. Every one in the parking lot is still intact and probably over 20 years old.

Joeg

Well the store opened in 1992.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Joeg on July 26, 2014, 09:01:23 AM

What's EDLP?

retailisking

Quote from: JimSawhill on December 10, 2014, 08:53:24 AM
What's EDLP?

Everyday low price
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everyday_low_price

What is Stop & Shop doing to notify its shoppers of the change in pricing strategy in East Hartford? Is this a response to Walmart Neighborhood Market?

Joeg

That's news to me!   I wish they would move into the old Big Y in East Hartford.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Joeg on December 10, 2014, 12:16:05 PM
That's news to me!   I wish they would move into the old Big Y in East Hartford.

Did anyone move into the East Hartford's Big Y? What is in School Street Square now?

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: JimSawhill on December 19, 2014, 08:37:43 PM

Did anyone move into the East Hartford's Big Y? What is in School Street Square now?

Jim is this the plaza we're talking about? http://northeastretail.com/Data/portfolio/schoolstreetsquare/schoolstreetplaza.pdf

If it is, it looks like spaces 1, 2, and 3 used to be Big Y. Space 1 is still vacant, Space 2 is becoming Cardio Express gym, and according to this Space 3 has been leased to a yet to be named tenant.

Also it shows space 9 as being a future grocery store. At 11,700 Square feet that's going to be a small grocery store. Maybe a Bravo?

BillyGr

Quote from: Marc B on December 20, 2014, 07:10:44 AM
Jim is this the plaza we're talking about? http://northeastretail.com/Data/portfolio/schoolstreetsquare/schoolstreetplaza.pdf

If it is, it looks like spaces 1, 2, and 3 used to be Big Y. Space 1 is still vacant, Space 2 is becoming Cardio Express gym, and according to this Space 3 has been leased to a yet to be named tenant.

Also it shows space 9 as being a future grocery store. At 11,700 Square feet that's going to be a small grocery store. Maybe a Bravo?

Looks like 3A might have been a part of the store also?  Although that would make a rather large store (73,000+).  Could also be 2,3,3A and not 1 (some sort of small store on the endcap?).

Could the grocery also be a Save a Lot or Aldi type store?  Looking at Save A Lot, they say average 15,000 SqFt but not unusual to be 10,000 Sq Ft to 20,000 Sq Ft so the lower end could fit there.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: BillyGr on December 20, 2014, 02:16:07 PM

Looks like 3A might have been a part of the store also?  Although that would make a rather large store (73,000+).  Could also be 2,3,3A and not 1 (some sort of small store on the endcap?).

Could the grocery also be a Save a Lot or Aldi type store?  Looking at Save A Lot, they say average 15,000 SqFt but not unusual to be 10,000 Sq Ft to 20,000 Sq Ft so the lower end could fit there.

Save a Lot is already in East Hartford. I really don't know if East Hartford is big enough to support 2 like how there are 2 in both Waterbury and Hartford. Aldi is also already in East Hartford. Again I don't know if East Hartford is big enough to support 2 like how the are 2 in Waterbury.

Joeg

I hope it is not a Bravo or ALDI/Sav a Lot.  This end of town needs a full service supermarket.  Maybe a Wal Mart neighborhood market?

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Joeg on December 20, 2014, 06:44:02 PM
I hope it is not a Bravo or ALDI/Sav a Lot.  This end of town needs a full service supermarket.  Maybe a Wal Mart neighborhood market?

The real estate company's website shows a Grocery Store listed as Coming Soon for Space 9. Space 9 is only 11,700 square feet. Nowhere big enough for one. Also The Neighborhood Market Concept seems to be an Epic Fail in Connecticut. There are 2 - Bristol and West Hartford. Neither one are doing that well.

Joeg

I still think an ALDI/Bravo or even a C-Town would not be a good fit.

JimSawhill

Quote from: JimSawhill on December 19, 2014, 08:37:43 PM

Yes.. that changed since I moved out of East Hartford...East Hartford went downhill..

ynkeesfn82

They did a nice job remodeling the New Britain, Connecticut store. Went there today for the first time since the Summer of 2013. Kind of strange that they didn't have any bags with the store's logo on it. They were white with red words that said "Thank-You" on them.

BillyGr

Quote from: Marc B on February 12, 2015, 01:25:56 PM
They did a nice job remodeling the New Britain, Connecticut store. Went there today for the first time since the Summer of 2013. Kind of strange that they didn't have any bags with the store's logo on it. They were white with red words that said "Thank-You" on them.

That's happened on (rare) occasions around here - either they ran out of custom bags and got those as a fill in until new ones could be printed, or maybe they have a new design being made that has been held up for some reason?

Bdubs

When I worked for Stop & Shop, we received batches of generic bags from time to time.
It looks like the manufacturer was screwing up filling the bags. The stores order numbers and descriptions were on the outside of the box, but when we opened them they were just generics.

RoleModel

Stores are only rationed so many boxes of bags per day by corporate, often ridiculously low amounts. Some stores have taken the measure of going to a wholesale club just to buy bags so they can last throughout the day.

FitchMike26

These "Thank You" bags have also appeared in Giant-Carlisle stores.

I don't think it's a big deal, though...