Piggly Wiggly

Started by Caldor1999, May 10, 2005, 04:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wiseguy93

Inside photo of Piggly Wiggly at Blacksburg

wiseguy93

Outside picture of Piggly Wiggly

wiseguy93

This building was built as a Piggly Wiggly back in the mid 1960's. There was another building that was built on this site. And after being opened a few years the building caught on fire and was a complete lost. While the building was being built back Piggly Wiggly put up a small building over to the side called The Burnt Pig. That stayed opened until the Piggly Wiggly was ready to open. Piggly Wiggly moved into this location in the mid 1960's and stayed opend until 1988. Then Piggly Wiggly moved to a brand new store in the Ridgeview Shopping center anchored by Kmart.
It is now home to Friendship Ambulance Service.

wiseguy93

Jordan Shopping Center
332 Northeast Blvd

wiseguy93

this Piggly Wiggly is also located at Clinton, Nc but this one at Shamrock Shopping Center
1111 Sunset Ave.

ynkeesfn82

The first segment of the 6:30AM episode of Extreme Couponing on TLC this morning took place at a Piggly Wiggly. The lady got over $600 worth of stuff for under $360! She was aiming for a lower goal, but ultimately failed.

retailisking

Don't be a coupon piggy in the Piggly Wiggly...

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

I was recently on vacation when the message-board went down and happened to go to a Piggly Wiggly Supermarket while I was on vacation. It was a very nice store. I loved it. All of the cashiers even have a Piggly Wiggly Savings Card at all of their cash registers to ensure that visitors to the city like I was get their discounts and store ad sales. I have never seen a store do this before. Usually if you want the store ad sales, most supermarket chains give you no other choice but to sign up for their stores savings card. I think the reason that Piggly Wiggly does not do the same thing though, is because all of their locations are independently owned just like Friendly's Restaurants are independently owned. From my personal shopping experience independently and family owned grocery stores usually value the consumer more than corporate chain grocery stores do. Proof of this is due to the fact that the northern half of the state that I live in was overflowing with family and independently owned grocery stores back in the 1960's/70's up to this present day which led to Kroger's leaving the northern half of the state that I live in back in the 1960's/70's due to the fact that they had so much trouble competing with all of these family and independently owned grocery stores. However, when it comes to Kroger's as a grocery chain, I like them. I have been to their stores plenty of times when I visit by younger brother where he has gone to college. The one grocery store chain that I cannot stand however is Giant Eagle. They give away unlimited free gas in exchange for hardly any customer service so that they can keep giving away this unlimited free gas. At the same time they have stopped valuing the consumer and have stopped listening to the consumer. We have probably about now today in the present time somewhere from 35% to 50% left of the family and independently owned grocery stores that we did back when I was born in the early 1980's. Out of these family and independently owned grocery stores that we still have left I prefer my local IGA Stores. However, if I lose the last 35% to 50% of the family and independently owned grocery stores I will gladly welcome both Kroger's and Piggly Wiggly back into my part of the state that I live in. I would definitely take both Kroger's and Piggly Wiggly over Giant Eagle because Giant Eagle not only has the worst customer service, but they have the highest prices in our area as well. However, if Piggly Wiggly would consider moving back to the part of the state that I live in, I can only hope that Piggly Wiggly would be able to financially survive, because they failed to survive the first time that they came to the part of the state that I live in.

ynkeesfn82

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

Quote from: Marc B on September 12, 2013, 01:55:13 PM
In Carolina they're selling 22 stores to Bi-Lo and 6 to Harris Teeter.

http://supermarketnews.com/retail-amp-financial/piggly-wiggly-carolina-selling-28-stores
I just noticed the exact same thing through a link that was on www.yahoo.com. Here is the story that I read. It is a different one, but pretty much discusses the same topic. Here is a link to it. http://savannahnow.com/exchange/2013-09-13/savannah-piggly-wiggly-stores-sold#.UjPH477D_IU

Does anybody know why they are doing this? I know that Piggly Wiggly is independently owned. The family that is selling these twenty-eight locations; will they have any stores left after this at all?

Retail Regents

C&S has opened a Piggly Wiggly store in Watertown, NY, across the street from Watertown High School. It was one of the Tops stores that was originally meant to be converted to Grand Union. Opened March 3, 2022.

https://www.cswg.com/services/piggly-wiggly-supermarkets/

Retail Regents

Some pictures I took of the Watertown store, including some carts.

You cannot see attachments on this board.