PACE Membership Warehouse

Started by Mobil, September 19, 2008, 09:18:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crawford

I only recall one of these locally. It was in a new shopping center built on the former Seekonk Twin Drive In cinema. This was back in the mid 80s. I don't think it was there for very long because next thing I knew a Bradlees had opened up in the space in 1992, the building is now split between a Staples and a Big Lots, the area of the building that housed the automotive garage is still vacant and probably will remain so. Didn't Kmart or some other chain run PACE?
"Through the millennia, the Time Lords of Gallifrey led a life of ordered calm, protected against all threats from lesser civilisations by their great power. But this was to change. Suddenly, and terribly, the Time Lords faced the most dangerous crisis in their long history..."--the Doctor

frameguy2704

The Pace in Warick RI became a Sam's Club in the 90's

store215

There used to be one near me...it was a Sam's Club (like most became) up until 2 or 3 years ago (Sam's Club moved to a town over in a complex with a Super Wal-Mart, Lowe's, and other stores). It's currently vacant.
And yes, PACE was owned by Kmart...it probably could have been successful but the whole wholesale club idea really didn't catch on for a few more years.

MikeRa

The PACE is Langhorne, PA (built in-between a 1970's K Mart and a Levitz Furniture Warehouse at the former Langhorne Speedway) is also now a Sam's Club.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

TRU7536

Theirs was a Pace in Berlin, where Sams Club has been for years now. Sams Club will close down next month as they move to their bigger location in Newington.

AmesNewington

QuoteOriginally posted by TRU7536
Theirs was a Pace in Berlin, where Sams Club has been for years now. Sams Club will close down next month as they move to their bigger location in Newington.

TRU, do you have an approximate date/month when Sam's will open the Newington location?

TRU7536

I don't know exactly when it will open. Sometime in October. Their was a article from Berlin that I read when I googled it. I didn't know the Sams Club in Berlin was opened for 19 years. The buidling is pretty much done. I know that LA Fitness plans to open in December. Their gutting out the old Service Merchandise. I been meaning to take pictures of the plaza. I know their working on the gas station for Sams Club.

On a side night, Dollar Tree will open in the old Lefty Mcgoos in Jo Ann Plaza on the pike. And Att is working on the old Atlanta Bread building also on the pike.

standa

QuoteOriginally posted by AmesNewington
QuoteOriginally posted by TRU7536

TRU, do you have an approximate date/month when Sam's will open the Newington location?

I remember that the Berlin PACE was originally built as a MAKRO (a Dutch-German wholesale club).

Ameskid

PACE No. 22 was located at:
9800 Cherry Lane
Laurel, MD 20707
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

Mobil

Former PACE and Sam's Club in West Mifflin, PA. They became Sam's in 1993-1994.

dmx10101

The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

Ameskid

One footnote to PACE's history that has been mentioned is the Makro chain, a European venture which was bought out by Kmart in 1989. All Makros were converted to PACEs during 1989-1990.

Interestingly, Makro appears to have adopted Sam's Club's members-only approach to store admission, with a touch of Gordon Food Service (or other similar supplier-style grocers) thrown in for good measure. According to a 1982 Cincinnati Magazine ad, the company touted itself as "the world's only self-service wholesale center" but "trade only".

From that ad, here's their logo...

The former location in Cincinnati is still around, though I haven't actually been there. It appears to be comparable in size to a Meijer.

Ameskid

Quote from: Ameskid on March 24, 2015, 09:41:31 PM
One footnote to PACE's history that has been mentioned is the Makro chain, a European venture which was bought out by Kmart in 1989. All Makros were converted to PACEs during 1989-1990.

Interestingly, Makro appears to have adopted Sam's Club's members-only approach to store admission, with a touch of Gordon Food Service (or other similar supplier-style grocers) thrown in for good measure. According to a 1982 Cincinnati Magazine ad, the company touted itself as "the world's only self-service wholesale center" but "trade only".

From that ad, here's their logo...

The former location in Cincinnati is still around, though I haven't actually been there. It appears to be comparable in size to a Meijer.
Former Makro, Evendale, OH by Harvestman Man, on Flickr
Former Makro, Evendale, OH by Harvestman Man, on Flickr