Blockbuster

Started by videogamer75, August 15, 2008, 02:51:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

videogamer75

It looks like Blockbuster is in big trouble at the hands of Netflix....they could go out of business at any moment.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9809950-7.html

Start taking pictures while you still can!!!!

dmx10101

this is an old article from November 2, 2007.
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

C. Fontaine

Netflix had a warehouse software problem the last few days, only allowing a few movies to actually be sent or received.  I'm sure they had some irate customers!

wwefan101

i hope blockbster dont close i  go the one in webster ma a lot

videogamer75

QuoteOriginally posted by dmx10101
this is an old article from November 2, 2007.

yeah, I know, but I still thought it was worth mentioning, since this board doesn't even have a blockbuster thread.

TRJ22487

These kiosks could be found only at Blockbuster in 1995.
I remember going to see this, it was the only reason I ever went to a blockbuster

d_fife

wiil Blockbuster really go out in 2011? and I had a dream recently that I grabbed a book in Blockbuster and I threw the book at someones arm and I got thrown out and banned and i tried to beg them to lift the ban and they refused. Waht if I did that for real, would I get kicked out and is that all that would happen to me?

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Blockbuster Video is beginning to close both Green Bay, Wisconsin locations:

West side: West Mason Street (next to Oneida Smoke Shop in Festival Foods plaza)
East side: East Mason Street (East Town Mall outparcel, East Mason Street, next to Applebee's)

jmcnamara96

Two in Nashua closed one in a plaza on DW Highway being Barnes and Noble and one in Somerset Plaza also the Hudson Mall location did to last year

ynkeesfn82

South Broad Street Meriden, CT and Main Street Southington, CT are the latest Blockbusters to be shuttered.

http://www.myrecordjournal.com/business/meriden/article_53689fd4-405c-11e1-907b-001871e3ce6c.html

ynkeesfn82

I didn't get a picture, but surprise it turns out the former Blockbuster at 200 Main Street in Southington, Connecticut was once a CVS. There is a nice CVS labelscar on the building. Noticed it when I went to Domino's Pizza today. CVS moved to a nearby free-stand location. Not sure what year.

ynkeesfn82

Former Blockbuster locations:

Bristol, CT - Still vacant. Used for Spirit Halloween this past Halloween.

Plainville, CT - Divided into Wireless Zone (Verizon Wireless) and vacant space.

New Britain, CT - Still vacant.

Meriden, CT - Status Unknown.

Southington, CT - Family Dollar coming soon.

TRU7536

Quote from: Marc B on March 16, 2013, 12:22:25 PM

Plainville, CT - Divided into Wireless Zone (Verizon Wireless) and vacant space.

Newington CT became a 3rd party Verizon Wireless store a year ago.

david121

There was one near where I used to live in FL that was still open until they ALL closed.... I don't see why or how they did but whatever they were there.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Marc B on March 16, 2013, 12:22:25 PM

2014 Update:

Bristol, CT - Jake's Wayback Burger and Vacant Space

Plainville, CT - Verizon Store and Vacant Space
New Britain, CT - Goodwill Store

Meriden, CT - Status Unknown

Southington, CT: Original Location on Queen Street: Sleepy's for many years. Moved downtown in the late 90s and is now Family Dollar.

TheFugitive

Of the ones I used to patronize, one is now a Mexican grocery store (with some of the best
killer street tacos on the planet!) and the other is an ice cream shop.

Hudsons81

Here are the former Blockbuster locations in the Downriver suburbs of Detroit and what they currently are in 2014.

Allen Park, MI (15415 Southfield Road) - Had a stint as a Halloween City in September-October 2013 and possibly again this year. Other than that, it has been vacant since it closed in early 2013.

Brownstown Township, MI (23115 Telegraph Road) - Was one of Downriver's last two remaining Blockbusters when all but some in Texas and Alaska closed in late 2013-early 2014, possibly has been vacant since.

Lincoln Park, MI (Lincoln Park Plaza, 3636 Fort Street) - Was one of Downriver's last two remaining Blockbusters when all but some in Texas and Alaska closed in late 2013-early 2014, possibly has been vacant since.

Southgate, MI (15200 Eureka Road) - Closed February 2011, gutted and divided between RX Optical and Wild Bill's Tobacco.

Taylor, MI (9115 Telegraph Road) - Closed circa 2012, now Pro Fireworks.

Woodhaven, MI (16075 West Road) - Closed circa 2011, still vacant.

Wyandotte, MI (3333 Biddle Avenue) - Closed February 2011, now a Henry Ford Wyandotte Hospital rehabilitation center.

TheFugitive

Another one a bit farther south of me is now divided between a pizza shop
and a chiropractic clinic.

MikeRa

The Blockbuster was was near my location is now a Verizon Wireless
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

Chuck E. Cheese

There is still 19 franchise owned Blockbuster stores still open. I made a Google MyMaps showing where they are. > List Here

giantsfan2016

According to the Facebook Page of the classic TV network Antenna TV, the first Blockbuster store opened on this day October 19 in 1985.

TheFugitive

Quote from: Marc B on October 19, 2016, 03:49:18 AM
According to the Facebook Page of the classic TV network Antenna TV, the first Blockbuster store opened on this day October 19 in 1985.

I had just gone to work in Parkway Center Mall in Pittsburgh selling VCR's.
I personally sold 350 units between then and Christmas.

Parkway Center Mall is currently being torn down.

Chuck E. Cheese

Nintendo fought Blockbuster over video rentals every step of the way in the United States in the 1980s and 1990s because Nintendo was afraid people would rent the games, and not buy them. This Gaming Historian video explains the situation between Nintendo and Blockbuster Video in great detail: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3xuy5YALl0&t=116s

Pikapower

Back when Pokemon Snap was big Blockbuster used to have Pokemon Snap Kiosks where you can print out your pictures from the game

I'm on Devianart: https://pikachuxash.deviantart.com/

Don't forget to check out the USA Store Fanon Wiki: https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/USA_Store_Fanon_Wikia

TheFugitive

Current photo of the former Blockbuster location near me.

It was originally constructed as a Hollywood Video store.
When they moved out Blockbuster took over.  It closed about
eight years ago, and a Mexican grocery store moved in.

Their street tacos are the very best in Pittsburgh!

JJBers

My location in Willimantic closed roughly around 2010, and was vacant until 2012/2013 when it became a Aaron's.
They completely redid the inside, but they were really lazy about the outside. I took some photos of it, but they're at night, so it's harder to see detail, including most likely label scars.
Here's a look from where the sign would have been:

Aaron's (Willimantic, Connecticut) by JJBers, on Flickr

And before you ask, I remember somewhat well of this store. It was nice, but was just like any other freestanding video rental store in America.
My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

giantsfan2016

Sometimes we rented movies at Blockbuster, but mostly we rented movies at Stop & Shop. Stop & Shop was cheaper. Plus they were closer to where we lived in Bristol, CT Stop & Shop was in the Bradlee's Plaza. Blockbuster was in the Caldor Plaza. At least in Bristol they stopped renting movies at Stop & Shop around 1996. People's Bank (now People's United Bank) opened in the old Stop & Shop Video store in 1996.

The 2017 update is:

Bristol: Wayback Burgers and Vacant Space. (No Change)

New Britain: Goodwill (No Change)

Plainville: Verizon (it's not Wireless Zone or Simply Wireless) and Vacant Space (No Change)

Southington: Main Street location is now the 2nd Dollar Tree in Southington. I still don't understand why when Dollar Tree bought out Family Dollar they decided to make the Southington Family Dollar a 2nd Dollar Tree.

JJBers

Quote from: JJBers on October 28, 2017, 01:02:39 AM
My location in Willimantic closed roughly around 2010, and was vacant until 2012/2013 when it became a Aaron's.
They completely redid the inside, but they were really lazy about the outside. I took some photos of it, but they're at night, so it's harder to see detail, including most likely label scars.
Here's a look from where the sign would have been:

Aaron's (Willimantic, Connecticut) by JJBers, on Flickr

And before you ask, I remember somewhat well of this store. It was nice, but was just like any other freestanding video rental store in America.
And oddly Aaron's closed and Rent a Center took over after closing their Willimantic Plaza location.
February 2018:

Rent a Center (Willimantic, Connecticut) by JJBers, on Flickr
(The location has now installed a permanent sign)

The former Rent a Center:

Willimantic Plaza by JJBers, on Flickr
(Now with the sign gouged out)
My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

The Blockbuster Video stores near me:

Green Bay, Wisconsin, East Town Mall (in front of Shopko, next to Applebee's) - divided into a few restaurants: Qdoba, Smart Cow Yogurt Bar, Noodles & Co.

Green Bay, Wisconsin, West Mason Street - now Familia Dental

Ashwaubenon, Wisconsin - demolished for the Green Bay Packers Titletown District