Wendy's

Started by tokensafari, January 09, 2005, 04:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jason83080

Anybody around Lorain County in Ohio, they're building a new Wendy's next to the future Aldi's on the corner of SR83 and Chester Rd, in the Avon Crossing plaza (Lowe's/JCPenney) across from Walmart. While Aldi's is just a foundation at this point, the shell to Wendy's is almost complete. From the looks of it, I think it's going to follow the Dublin prototype design, but I could be wrong. It does look like it resembles this, maybe without the hugeness of the front entrance:

http://wosu.org/2012/news/2013/12/17/new-flagship-wendys-is-hi-tech-historic/

TheFugitive

Quote from: Pikapower on March 03, 2014, 02:53:39 PM
Quote from: Marc B on March 03, 2014, 02:37:57 PM
What does everyone think of the fries at Wendy's? I had them today and thought they were the worst tasting fries I've ever eaten.

:o Wendy's fries can't really be that bad, they're pretty good!

Had some Wendy's fries yesterday, and they were the best I've eaten in a very long time.

Served piping hot.  Cooked to perfection.  Best of all they actually had SALT on them!
Thank you, Wendy's, for ignoring Michelle Obama and putting actual salt on my fries!

Not to mention it came with a Spicy Chicken Combo that only set me back four bucks
with a coupon.

Bdubs

Waterford CT location has permanently closed! Drove by last Monday morning and there was a sign company removing all exterior signage. It was a strange location. 4 lane highway with no access from the other side of the road without going up to the next intersection to pull a U turn.

Hudsons81

This Wendy's (which mostly resembles the Dublin, Ohio prototype) just opened this past Monday (December 8, 2014) in Lincoln Park, Michigan at the northeast corner of Southfield Road and Dix Highway across from Sears. This was the site of a building dating back decades that began as a supermarket before it became a Perry Drugs, which morphed into Rite-Aid in 1995 before closing in 2013.

It replaced this older Wendy's further up Southfield Road in neighboring Allen Park in front of a former Farmer Jack. Probably dated from at least the 1980's.

ynkeesfn82

Wendy's suing one of its largest franchisees for not remodeling and upgrading restaurants. The franchisee owns 152 locations in DC, Maryland, and Virgina.

http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/blog/morning_call/2015/01/wendys-sues-one-of-its-largest-oldest-franchisees.html

buzz86us

Wendy's has gotten too expensive for what they are the dollar menu used to have the double stack now it just has that tiny jr cheese burger, nuggets and fries are their dollar items. By the time I eat there I get a real burger from a local restaurant. In a town with Rally's and Wendy's I go to rally's every. Rally's is just about the same as far as for quality goes

TheFugitive

Best deal in town right now is Steak N Shake, IF you use their coupons.

ynkeesfn82

Wendy's fries still suck. And apparently at the Queen Street Southington, Connecticut location they installed an alarm that goes off every time someone is at the drive-thru. Very annoying to eat there.  >:(

Hudsons81

Quote from: Marc B on February 19, 2015, 12:23:36 PM
Wendy's fries still suck. And apparently at the Queen Street Southington, Connecticut location they installed an alarm that goes off every time someone is at the drive-thru. Very annoying to eat there.  >:(

Was it a fire alarm? If so, must've been some wrong wiring.

TheFugitive

Wendy's sent a fistful of coupons to my house, so I decided to do lunch at their location on
Castle Shannon Blvd. in Mt. Lebanon, PA.

Was stunned to arrive and see that the restaurant had CLOSED.
Both the roadside sign and the one on the roof had been removed.
This had to occur sometime within the past couple of weeks.

This restaurant is wedged in between a very busy car wash and an extremely
hectic intersection that seems to be always under construction.  My guess is that
it had become so difficult to get in and out of their lot that it had drastically impacted business.

Not the best location for fast-food as the KFC-Taco Bell combo store just up the road
closed a couple of years back.  It is now a Chinese takeout place.

TheFugitive

Having been born in Columbus and lived there again for a time as an adult,
I was very sad to see it go.  Ate there on several occasions while in the area.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Here's what a typical Wendy's menu looked like in 1978:

TheFugitive

That takes me back to middle school and the Wendy's in Downtown Pittsburgh.
It was such a big deal when it opened they had a parade.

Pikapower

Quote from: ShopKoFan on November 02, 2015, 03:42:46 PM

Do you think that you can do more old Wendy's or other fast food chain restaurant menus?
I'm on Devianart: https://pikachuxash.deviantart.com/

Don't forget to check out the USA Store Fanon Wiki: https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/USA_Store_Fanon_Wikia

Quote from: Pikapower on November 02, 2015, 04:38:12 PM

Do you think that you can do more old Wendy's or other fast food chain restaurant menus?
I found it on Flickr.

Bdubs

The New London CT Wendy's has been completely renovated to look like their new prototype store from a couple years ago. It looks really nice. A few noticeable differences from the old style restaurant design; you now serve yourself to get soda, and the restaurant now offers a Coke Freestyle machine. When you place a "for here" order, they ask for your name, and when your meal is ready they shout your name. There's a "lounge" area with arm chairs, a low coffee table, and also a large round gathering table which seats about 8 people. Not sure about any older restaurants, but this one now has outdoor seating in front.

JSIDA17

Ahh, good old inflation...

I know this is a bit off topic (well, not really), but I cannot get my mom to eat Wendy's AT ALL. Every time I ask her if she wants to try Wendy's, she always says she wants to go to McDonald's instead. Wonder why...

Pikapower

I wish that Wendy's would bring back the Pretzel bun hamburger!

I'm on Devianart: https://pikachuxash.deviantart.com/

Don't forget to check out the USA Store Fanon Wiki: https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/USA_Store_Fanon_Wikia

Hungry Jack's (former Wendy's Hamburgers, now currently a KFC), Dandenong, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Wendy's did not last long in Australia, nine failing Wendy's locations were acquired by Hungry Jack's in 1986.

Another chain that goes by the Wendy's in Australia, Wendy's Supa Sundaes, a chain similar to the American Baskin-Robbins, is not related to Wendy's Hamburgers in any way.

giantsfan2016

As I responding to Jon when he posted this story on his Facebook Page I seriously doubt they will do this at my local Wendy's in Southington, Connecticut. It's kind of old and looks like it hasn't been remodeled since they took over the former Roy Rogers more than 20 years ago. (Maybe even 25 at this point).

BillyGr

Quote from: giantsfan2016 on February 27, 2017, 02:45:29 PM
As I responding to Jon when he posted this story on his Facebook Page I seriously doubt they will do this at my local Wendy's in Southington, Connecticut. It's kind of old and looks like it hasn't been remodeled since they took over the former Roy Rogers more than 20 years ago. (Maybe even 25 at this point).

Not sure about the kiosks, but we just had a couple locations here remodel, which probably haven't had much done to them since they removed the Super Bars quite a way back.
One they closed (at least I think so, based on how it looked) and the other operated as drive thru only while the work was being done.

retailisking

Wendy's appears to be barely hanging on around here; one in a tony suburb closed when its lease ran out and others have reduced their hours drastically. I think the high-volume corporate stores will get them first. It's optional for franchisees to have them, so I doubt they will be widely adopted unless they have a documented positive impact on traffic. And if they do catch on, certainly BK and McD's and CKE will quickly enter the fray.

Zayre88

Quote from: retailisking on February 27, 2017, 12:27:52 PM
http://www.dispatch.com/news/20170221/wendys-to-install-ordering-kiosks-in-1000-stores-this-year

In Canada, many McDonald's have these kiosks now. It will be nice to see these at Wendy's.

They're nice but sometimes don't work properly.  Receipt getting caught in the printer, screen that freezes, or staff somehow misreading the order. 

Personally, it happened to me 3 times that I ordered To-Go and they gave me food on a tray to eat inside.

retailisking

This former Wendy's in Seabrook, NH is now an Amato's (regional sandwich/pizza/Italian specialties chain)

JJBers

Here's this Wendy's relic of the past (aka 90's)
Before removal:

Wendy's (North Windham, CT) by JJBers, on Flickr
After removal:

My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

JJBers

I have some more photos of the North Windham, CT Wendy's:

The sign:

Plus, here are some photos of a abandoned Wendy's in Waterford, CT:

Abandoned Wendy's (Waterford, Connecticut) by JJBers, on Flickr

Abandoned Wendy's (Waterford, Connecticut) by JJBers, on Flickr
My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

TheFugitive

Quote from: TheFugitive on October 14, 2015, 02:56:43 PM
Wendy's sent a fistful of coupons to my house, so I decided to do lunch at their location on
Castle Shannon Blvd. in Mt. Lebanon, PA.

Was stunned to arrive and see that the restaurant had CLOSED.
Both the roadside sign and the one on the roof had been removed.
This had to occur sometime within the past couple of weeks.

This restaurant is wedged in between a very busy car wash and an extremely
hectic intersection that seems to be always under construction.  My guess is that
it had become so difficult to get in and out of their lot that it had drastically impacted business.

Not the best location for fast-food as the KFC-Taco Bell combo store just up the road
closed a couple of years back.  It is now a Chinese takeout place.

This former Wendy's location has undergone an extensive remodel, and will re-open
on Friday as a Graeter's Ice Cream store.   Graeter's is a Cincinnati-based chain
with somewhere around 60 stores.

giantsfan2016

FROM MYRECORDJOURNAL.COM

PZC approves new Wendy’s near Southington movie theater
June 26, 2019 05:33PM
By Jesse Buchanan, Record-Journal staff

SOUTHINGTON â€" In a special meeting Wednesday afternoon, the Planning and Zoning Commission approved a Wendy’s restaurant on Meriden-Waterbury Turnpike.

The short meeting was held to avoid delays with the restaurant’s construction, according to commission Chairman Michael DelSanto. At its meeting last week, the commission delayed a decision on the Wendy’s application after one member raised concerns about the building’s placement on the property.

It is planned for the east side of the AMC movie theater entrance at 1799 Meriden-Waterbury Turnpike.

Vice Chairman Paul Chaplinsky wanted the restaurant built farther back from the road to match surrounding buildings. David Sacco, an engineer with TPA Design Group of New Haven, said the Wendy’s owners didn’t want to push the building back because they wanted it easily visible to drivers on Meriden-Waterbury Turnpike.

On Wednesday, DelSanto said the commission had talked with town planners and restaurant representatives.

Town Planner Rob Philips had recommended against the commission denying the restaurant site plan based on the building placement. He said the plans met the town’s setback regulations and that owners were within their rights to place the building where it was proposed.

“State law says if a site plan meets the site plan regulations, the commission has a duty to approve it,” Philips said.

That doesn’t prevent commission members from suggesting or requesting changes for aesthetic reasons, according to Philips.

Sacco said construction could start in August.

The five PZC members at Wednesday’s special meeting voted unanimously in favor of the restaurant plan. Chaplinsky wasn’t in attendance since he was out of town.

DelSanto said the commission’s next scheduled regular meeting wasn’t until July and thanked commission members for meeting sooner. He didn’t want to make the restaurant owners wait until next month for approval and push construction back.

“That’s the big thing,” DelSanto said.

Chaplinsky said he didn’t have any further concerns if the rest of the commission supported the application. He said the town should raise concerns and work with developers on changes when possible.

“Sometimes it’s going to happen, sometimes it’s not. But that’s part of the process,” Chaplinsky said.

jbuchanan@record-journal.com
203-317-2230