Friendly's

Started by amesman, January 08, 2005, 02:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pikapower

^Well, sorry for calling Friendly's a restaurant walking!  :-X
I'm on Devianart: https://pikachuxash.deviantart.com/

Don't forget to check out the USA Store Fanon Wiki: https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/USA_Store_Fanon_Wikia

BillyGr

Quote from: Marc B on December 10, 2014, 03:57:49 PM
In response to the 2 above questions. I wouldn't worry about either. According to their website they are looking for Franchise Owners to open more restaurants in many states including Ohio and Pennsylvania.

See: http://www.friendlys.com/about-friendlys/real-estate

We've had something similar with Papa John's here - they opened stores twice and both times the franchisee apparently went out so now most of the stores are empty (I think 1 or 2 were owned by someone else).

retailisking

Friendly's Long Island franchise owner goes belly-up; eleven of its locations have closed in the past year.
http://www.newsday.com/business/friendly-s-franchisee-on-long-island-files-for-chapter-11-1.9779797

ynkeesfn82

Here is an article from the Waterbury Republican-American newspaper.

Operator of 9 Friendly's in Conn. files for bankruptcy, plans to close some locations

Republican-American

The operator of 37 Friendly's restaurants in Connecticut, New Jersey and New York has voluntarily filed to reorganize under Chapter 11 of the federal bankruptcy code, the company said in a news release.

Long Island, N.Y.-based J&B Restaurant Partners filed the bankruptcy petition as part of a negotiated restructuring plan that includes closing some locations and remodeling 11 others. The company did not identify the number or location of stores that will close.

J&B operates nine Friendly's in Connecticut, including in Bristol and Southington.

Dawn Petite, J&B's chief operating officer, said in the release that closing some restaurants is "a very difficult but necessary step" for improving the firm's financial health.

Ameskid

I'm not positive if this was actually a Friendly's or not - I have heard someone say that it was once a bank, but someone else thought it looked like a Friendly's. Anyone seen one with a drive-through window before...?

Former ? Bank by harvestmanman, on Flickr

This, on the other hand, is definitely a former Friendly's.

Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

Hudsons81

The former Friendly's on West Road in Trenton, Michigan. Closed by 1998, it is now Charter One Bank (and will soon become Citizen's Bank).

BillyGr

Quote from: Ameskid on January 08, 2015, 11:05:15 PM
I'm not positive if this was actually a Friendly's or not - I have heard someone say that it was once a bank, but someone else thought it looked like a Friendly's. Anyone seen one with a drive-through window before...?

This, on the other hand, is definitely a former Friendly's.

The first one does look like it was one (even the sign is the same size/type and has kept the similar color scheme and style).  Can't say I've seen one with a drive thru, but it might have been (or perhaps it was a walk up window for ice cream? they have those on several of their stores here) or perhaps added on to match the building (after all the one you say definitely was Friendly's has a window also in it's current usage).

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Marc B on January 07, 2015, 03:01:53 PM
Here is an article from the Waterbury Republican-American newspaper.

Operator of 9 Friendly's in Conn. files for bankruptcy, plans to close some locations

Republican-American

The operator of 37 Friendly's restaurants in Connecticut, New Jersey and New York has voluntarily filed to reorganize under Chapter 11 of the federal bankruptcy code, the company said in a news release.

Long Island, N.Y.-based J&B Restaurant Partners filed the bankruptcy petition as part of a negotiated restructuring plan that includes closing some locations and remodeling 11 others. The company did not identify the number or location of stores that will close.

J&B operates nine Friendly's in Connecticut, including in Bristol and Southington.

Dawn Petite, J&B's chief operating officer, said in the release that closing some restaurants is "a very difficult but necessary step" for improving the firm's financial health.

I just found out almost everything in this article was a lie and they don't even own the locations in Bristol/Southington. Both are staying open and will get an overhaul this spring.

Bdubs

The Friendly's in Norwich CT is getting a remodel. This will be their first remodel in well over 20 years.

The other location in Norwich had a fire. They rebuilt the restaurant from ground up only to close 6 months later during the first round of CT closings. Its still empty to this day.

ynkeesfn82

Demolition of the former Friendly's on East Main Street in Meriden, Connecticut has begun. Most recently it housed a Mexican restaurant. A 2nd Advanced Auto Parts store for the city of Meriden will be built on the site.

http://www.myrecordjournal.com/meriden/meridennews/6878114-129/demolition-of-meriden-restaurant-expected-soon-to-make-way-for.html

HannafordHearts

Yes, there are very few Friendly's in the Capital Region of NY now ever since the 2011 bankruptcy.
These are what the closed restaurants are currently now (not counting the ones in malls):
Colonie (Wolf Rd): Smashburger
Guilderland (Western Ave): Crispy Basil Artisan Pizza
Bethlehem (Delaware Ave): Tea House Asian Bistro
Schenectady (Altamont Ave): Still vacant
Saratoga Springs (Congress St): Still vacant, I think
Glens Falls (Upper Glen St): Still vacant
Albany (Central Ave): Hokkaido Asian Bistro
Latham (Route 7): Denny's
Latham (Route 9): Still vacant
Glenville (Saratoga Rd): Neon Sushi

There were also Friendly's in Schenectady that closed before the bankruptcy. One on State Street that became Maurice's Sandwich Shops, and another on Nott Terrace that became Denny's.

BillyGr

Quote from: HannafordHearts on February 11, 2015, 02:40:09 PM

This site was apparently bought by the neighboring auto dealer, but not sure what they plan to do (use or remove building).

ynkeesfn82

AmesNewington

Quote from: Marc B on February 28, 2015, 09:23:28 PM
They closed the Bristol, CT Friendly's for 5 days to remodel it. It has now reopened.

http://www.centralctcommunications.com/bristolpress/news/article_027da456-beea-11e4-ab32-2fb83b7e9261.html

They are currently doing the same with the Newington location. I went by today, and the entire outside was repainted. They should be reopening next week. I actually like it. It does look like they are trying to go back to their roots. The only other Friendly's I visited recently was back in January, 2013 in Avon, CT on West Main Street. It was a nice one. Wonder if they are getting the same remodel.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Marc B on February 28, 2015, 09:23:28 PM
They closed the Bristol, CT Friendly's for 5 days to remodel it. It has now reopened.

http://www.centralctcommunications.com/bristolpress/news/article_027da456-beea-11e4-ab32-2fb83b7e9261.html

Is the Friendly's on Buckland Road (across the street from the Buckland Mall) still open?

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: JimSawhill on March 10, 2015, 06:27:14 PM
Is the Friendly's on Buckland Road (across the street from the Buckland Mall) still open?

From Friendlys.com where I typed in Manchester, CT:

Friendly's Restaurant (#01213)
2.6 miles away | Get Directions
240 Buckland Street
Manchester, CT 06040
860-644-7790
Hours of Operation:
M-Th,Su: 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
F-S: 7:00 a.m. to 12:00 a.m.

Bdubs

They must be remodelling most locations they plan to keep open. Norwich was completed last month. I was passing through Cromwell and noticed they are remodelling that location as well.

ynkeesfn82

Plainville, Connecticut in The Plainville Commons shopping Center on New Britain Ave is also remodeling.

AmesNewington

It's nice to see Friendly's is trying to re-invent itself, and keeping all of these locations open.

HannafordHearts

I noticed that my local Friendly's in East Greenbush, NY just got a new road sign that's white. I don't have a picture, but I think this is sort of what the sign looked like, except it was square:

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Marc B on March 17, 2015, 01:17:45 PM
Plainville, Connecticut in The Plainville Commons shopping Center on New Britain Ave is also remodeling.

The Plainville Citizen has an article about the remodeled Friendly's along with a picture of the new look of the exterior. Looks nice.

http://www.plainvillecitizen.com/news/allnews/7068785-129/remodeled-friendlys-reopened-march-23.html

retailisking

That's the same makeover the North Windham, ME Friendly's got a year or two ago. I agree that it looks nice. Not sure if it's had much impact on business, though.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Marc B on March 29, 2015, 08:37:10 AM
Quote from: Marc B on March 17, 2015, 01:17:45 PM

The Plainville Citizen has an article about the remodeled Friendly's along with a picture of the new look of the exterior. Looks nice.

http://www.plainvillecitizen.com/news/allnews/7068785-129/remodeled-friendlys-reopened-march-23.html

The Southington, CT location is remodeling and the exterior is getting the same look as the one in Plainville pictured above. Interesting because it wasn't that many years ago that they remodeled the exterior.

JimSawhill

Quote from: HannafordHearts on February 11, 2015, 02:40:09 PM
Yes, there are very few Friendly's in the Capital Region of NY now ever since the 2011 bankruptcy.
These are what the closed restaurants are currently now (not counting the ones in malls):
Colonie (Wolf Rd): Smashburger
Guilderland (Western Ave): Crispy Basil Artisan Pizza
Bethlehem (Delaware Ave): Tea House Asian Bistro
Schenectady (Altamont Ave): Still vacant
Saratoga Springs (Congress St): Still vacant, I think
Glens Falls (Upper Glen St): Still vacant
Albany (Central Ave): Hokkaido Asian Bistro
Latham (Route 7): Denny's
Glenville (Saratoga Rd): Neon Sushi

There were also Friendly's in Schenectady that closed before the bankruptcy. One on State Street that became Maurice's Sandwich Shops, and another on Nott Terrace that became Denny's.

Seth: Thanks for the listing...Friendly's is a restaurant that I am  missing. Going to buy some Friendly's ice cream at Winn Dixie...

JimSawhill

Is the Friendly's on Spencer Street open? When I looked at their website, I didn't see it listed.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: JimSawhill on July 28, 2015, 06:19:27 AM
Is the Friendly's on Spencer Street open? When I looked at their website, I didn't see it listed.

They have one at 240 Buckland Street.

ynkeesfn82

The building housing Friendly's in Southington, CT is for sale. It's $2,263,968 and will be leased back to Friendly's.

The building housing Friendly's on Reidville Drive in Waterbury, CT is for sale. It's $2.5 mill and will be leased back to Friendly's.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Marc B on July 28, 2015, 09:07:56 AM
The building housing Friendly's in Southington, CT is for sale. It's $2,263,968 and will be leased back to Friendly's.

It was just sold. It went for only $1,146,724 according to a report on the Record Journal's website.

busman_49

Quote from: Ameskid on January 08, 2015, 11:05:15 PM

Property records show it as being owned by a bank from 1969 until 1992 and then Graeter's since then.