Friendly's

Started by amesman, January 08, 2005, 02:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by BillyGr
2nd Photo: Latham location on Route 7 about 1/2 mile from Northway Exit 6.  This appears to be the mansard style.

The now closed location in Brewer, ME.  This one and the Bangor one have the same style.

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
I was surprised to see that Friendly's closed it's Brewer, Maine restaurant ... and i later saw the one across the river in Bangor also closed!!  The two locations had the same style.  They are still listed on Friendly's website.

they are not on the locations list now. WHY DID THEY CLOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Both restaurants are still vacant, still don't know why they closed.  The entire Bangor area is "Friendly'sless"

amesman

Here's the Friendly's in Utica, New York on Genessee Street.

amesman

Here's the Friendly's on Oswego Road in Liverpool, New York.

d_fife

this friendly's in bangor is gone, as of MAy 21, 2006.

d_fife

this friendly's in brewer maine is gone, as of MAy 21, 2006. why are the bangor area friendly's gone?

d_fife

here is the closed friendly's (What I think is friendly's) in cicero new york as of this friendly's in bangor is gone, as of MAy 25, 2006.

d_fife

here is the friendly's in ellsworth maine.

d_fife

here is the friendly's in ellsworth maine.

ellsworth

d_fife

here is the friendly's in freeport maine!! man everything looks like a house

d_fife

here is the lewiston friendly's on this st called sabbattus

beachgal26

Boy, do I envy you guys having Friendley's all around you.  They were all over the place and in the malls in FL and MD, but we don't have them in TN (at least not in the Memphis area).  We loved going there for all kinds of reasons and my daughter grew up eating their hot dogs and the sundae in the cup.

:(  :(  :( :( :(

amesman

yeah, I've always liked Friendly's. Always reminded me of Howard Johnson's. In fact, I've been working at Friendly's for the past 7 months.

beachgal26

Lucky you!  Please mention to them that they should really try and expand south of the Mason-Dixon line and give us some really good ice cream!

:insane: :bigsmile: :insane: :bigsmile: :insane:

amesman

Well, I would, but I don't think they'd listen to me..haha

d_fife

I still wonder if friendly's will open one in the bangor area? now waterville is the northern most friendly's. nashua used to have 4 but now has one. it is amasing the one in manchester nh only has 1. there used to be one in the old newington mall in newington / portsmouth nh. they had a round of closings like 4 yeras ago.

it seems that there are more friendly's in springfield than any other area because that is where their headquarters and resturants are.

beachgal26

Please tell someone at headquarters to think of expanding to the South.  I need my Friendly's fix!!!!!!!!!!!!

:insane::insane: :insane:  :insane: :insane:

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgal26
Please tell someone at headquarters to think of expanding to the South.  I need my Friendly's fix!!!!!!!!!!!!

:insane::insane: :insane:  :insane: :insane:

i'm afraid no one can as the company decides that and they will decide what can be profitable so they do not end up closing in a year or 2. friendly's was in florida i thought. well friendly's seems to be in half the states.

Zayre88

I still wonder if friendly's will open one in the bangor area? now waterville is the northern most friendly's. nashua used to have 4 but now has one. it is amasing the one in manchester nh only has 1. there used to be one in the old newington mall in newington / portsmouth nh. they had a round of closings like 4 yeras ago.

I remember the Newington location..  As for Bangor, i really don't know but i would put at least one restaurant there...!  They seem to struggle a little with the closings in the past few years.  (Pizza Hut, Burger King and Wendy's also closed many locations lately) ...  Here's a common Friendly's stlye - Brunswick ME

beachgal26

I do remember Friendley's fondly when we lived in FL, but we do not have any in TN.  For that matter, I don't know if we had any Howard Johnson's either since I've never seen any buildings that look like theirs did.  Too bad...........

:(  :) :( :) :( :)

amesman

There was actually quite a few Hojos in Tennessee. http://www.orangeroof.org/Tennessee

BillyGr

This Friendly's is in Glenville, NY on Route 50 - apparently they were working on this one at the time I went (this was about late May).

amesman

Here's the finished product of the work in the pic above: New paint job and sinage.

BillyGr

This is the Friendly's in Newark, Delaware off I-95 Exit 1 on Route 896 - a former HoJo's of one of the more modern (which of course are still old) designs.

The hotel next door is still HoJo's and has quite a few old features - see the Hojo post for more.

Zayre88

This looks like a former mansard Friendly's (now Denny's) in Auburn ME.

d_fife

here is the closed friendly's in south portland maine on main st rt.1 It closed liek 5 to 10 yeras ago.

JustinT

Several Friendly's in the MetroWest area of Massachusetts have closed in recent years. The location near downtown Natick closed in the mid-late 90's, and has since become a Dunkin Donuts. The location in downtown Framingham closed several months ago, and is slated to become a mosque. Lastly, the location in Framingham's Saxonville neighborhood closed around 2000, and became a Chinese restaurant. Friendly's did open one new location in the area, last year, in what was the only Bob Evans Restaurant in New England. I've seen some interesting uses for former Friendly's locations, in Woonsocket, RI; one houses a daycare center.

Personally, I've never cared much for the food or the service; the downtown Framingham location refused substitutions of any kind, and the food took an hour once to reach the table. I did get the privilage to meet the guy who creates the horrible Friendly's ads several months ago: I had no idea what to tell him :).

d_fife

friendly's carmel ny near mcd's and A&P

Marc82

Friendly's. Good Food, but high prices.  Back in the 80s Bristol, Connecticut had 3 Friendly's.  One on the corner of Farmington Avenue (route 6)and Jerome Avenue. One downtown on Church Street. And one on Enterprise Drive across the street from ESPN. The one on Farmington Ave is the only one in Bristol still opened. The vacant one downtown was torn down and replace by The Children's Imagination Museum. And a couple years ago the one across the street from ESPN was bought by the owners of The Pie Plate Restaurant in Waterbury. They opened a 24 hour restaurnat there called "Luiza's Diner". Pie plate sold their Waterbury restaurant to Friendly's.

Southington used to have two Friendly's right near one another. One on the corner of Route 10 and Spring Street and one next to KMART (Now Price Chopper). Not long after the one of the corner of Spring Street and Route 10 closed down they tore it down an built a Betuccis.

In Plainville Friendly's was on Route 10 (East Street). In 1993 My mom had lunch with the host of a very popular Public Access Cooking Show there. She got me to appear on one episode. This Friendly's closed after they built their a new location on Route 372 (New Britain Avenue)  in the Plainville Commons. The Route 10 location is now Farmington Savings Bank.

The one on West Main Street in New Britain was closed for quite a number of years. Something moved in there I think, but I can't remember what. Must not have been something that exciting.

The Friendly's at the Meriden Square Mall also closed a few years ago.

The last Friendly's I ate at was in Brattleboro, Vermont. I beleive it was in 1999. Like I said at the beginning of this post: Good Food,  but high prices.

d_fife

friendly's in southington CT