Staples

Started by BillyGr, June 17, 2005, 10:32:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzz86us

the idea where they go from serving customers to serving businesses is making me think their going to unload the lion's share of their retail business to become a office-supply delivery company.. honestly I think they need to downsize their stores and streamline them into copy/print centers.... whenever I work in a staples store the copy-center is booming, while everywhere else is dead...

retailisking

Quote from: buzz86us on June 22, 2017, 09:09:26 PM
the idea where they go from serving customers to serving businesses is making me think their going to unload the lion's share of their retail business to become a office-supply delivery company.. honestly I think they need to downsize their stores and streamline them into copy/print centers.... whenever I work in a staples store the copy-center is booming, while everywhere else is dead...

That's pretty much what they've been doing over the past few years - closing underperforming stores, downsizing others and increasing their focus on e-commerce. A deal to go private might accelerate that process.

buzz86us

what staples needs to do is either close or downsize their stores..the main reason why nobody is going is because the stores are so depressing... they should become a chain of tech/copy stores that leverage their distribution network to provide quick pickups of goods available the day after ordering..

mixedday

Quote from: buzz86us on June 29, 2017, 08:52:28 AM
what staples needs to do is either close or downsize their stores..the main reason why nobody is going is because the stores are so depressing... they should become a chain of tech/copy stores that leverage their distribution network to provide quick pickups of goods available the day after ordering..

True. Maybe they should sell some TVs and other gadgety items like Best Buy :-) I do give credit to Best Buy to atleast making it's stores lively and less depressing.

I've noticed that Staples has closed locations in downscale areas likely because Staples is incompatible for shoppers of lower income. But even those of middle to upper income might be avoiding buying enough from them, since anything inside Staples can be bought for cheaper, anywhere else. Often much cheaper. Basic traditional items like stationery can be quite expensive at Staples. I haven't been in school in a long time, but I bet kids of today are using less paper and maybe even less stationery than back in the day.

The business market (often serving towns where there are middle to upper income shoppers) likely will depend on online/phone ordering, but there Staples competes with Amazon and online. There is where a quick pickup of goods might come handy.

retailisking

Sycamore is said to be exploring the sale of its retail operation to Office Depot and retain the B2B part of the business. Of course, Sycamore actually has to close on the purchase of Staples first...
http://nypost.com/2017/07/31/office-depot-in-talks-to-buy-rival-staples/