Chi Chi's

Started by thedisneystore967, April 03, 2005, 09:07:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedisneystore967

has anyoneever been 2 a chi-chi's? i remember i refused to go there once,and the next time i was there, it had shut down.....then i remember i was mad at myself becausse i never went there....lol.that chichi's is in a mall in Gathiersburg, Maryland, called Lakeforest Mall...btw,
sorry 'bout that gay post
earlier, i told my friend , and he promised never to post anything like it again.

HoJofan206

Chi Chi's was a chain of mexican restaurants that served very bland mexican food (in my opinion).  The one we had in town was NEVER busy.  It lasted 15 to 20 years or so and finally went out of business around 1999.

AmesNewington

We always kid about the name of the restaurant (and their products) because my 3 year old Pomeranian dog is named Chi-Chi. We didn't know about the restaurant or products until after 2002.

SomeBeach

Chi-Chis literally means Boobs in Spanish. I'd like them to recycle the Chi-Chi's name as kind of a Hooters concept with Mexican food.

The Chi-Chi's chain disappeared in September 2004. Never ate at one, but I have had some of the products -- their salsa is quite bland.

thedisneystore967

actually, the chi chi's chain went out of business cuz somebody got something like AIDS(LOL)  at one of their restaurants ..

Jag67

I think it was hepatitis, actually. We used to go to Chi-Chi's quite often, when they were open. My mom's friend liked that place a lot, and we used to meet them there for dinner quite a bit. I remember the restaurant well. It closed around 1999 and was demolished for an IHOP. I still remember the commercials for their restaurants.. "Chi-Chi's..SALSA!!...Can't get enough!!" or something like that. You can still find their salsa in stores.

store215

QuoteOriginally posted by thedisneystore967
actually, the chi chi's chain went out of business cuz somebody got something like AIDS(LOL)  at one of their restaurants ..

Umm...here's the '03 News Story:
Officials link Chi-Chi's hepatitis outbreak to green onions
BEAVER, Pa. (AP) ? A hepatitis A outbreak that has killed three people and sickened nearly 600 others who ate at a Chi-Chi's Mexican restaurant was probably caused by green onions from Mexico, health officials said Friday. But how the scallions became tainted remains unclear.
      A Pittsburgh produce stand owner shows bunches of green onions for sale. He said that sales of the onions have been off by about 50%.    
By Keith Srakocic, AP

All the hepatitis A cases at the restaurant 25 miles northwest of Pittsburgh have been linked to green onions, and most of the victims likely contracted it through mild salsa and cheese dip, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said. The two dishes both used raw or lightly cooked onions.

"All the evidence suggests that people had direct contact with the green onions," said Joel Hersh, epidemiology director for the state Health Department.

It is the nation's biggest known outbreak of hepatitis A.

The CDC stopped short of saying that the green onions in the Pennsylvania outbreak came from one of three Mexican companies known to have supplied the onions blamed for other outbreaks in Tennessee and Georgia.

The Food and Drug Administration announced Thursday that it was stopping green onion shipments from the Mexican firms at the border for inspection. FDA officials planned a statement, but did not immediately comment on CDC's report.

The contamination could have been caused by anything from a sewage leak in a farm field to feces in a shipper's truck, health officials said. Workers who failed to wash their hands at any stage of the onions' transit from field to the restaurant are another possible culprit.

Chi-Chi's chief operating officer Bill Zavertnik said the company was "gratified" that state officials traced the outbreak to green onions and not to Chi-Chi's employees. He also noted that state officials confirmed there is no "industry-accepted" way to test green onions for hepatitis A or to clean them enough to ensure they are safe.

The restaurant at the Beaver Valley Mall has remained closed since the outbreak was confirmed Nov. 3.

Health officials have said the hepatitis strains in Pennsylvania, Tennessee and Georgia are very similar.

Health officials in Pennsylvania initially suspected that Chi-Chi's employees had failed to wash their hands after using the bathroom ? another common way that hepatitis A is spread. But suspicion soon fell on the green onions, and last weekend the FDA issued a national advisory saying purchased green onions should not be eaten raw.

By then, Chi-Chi's had pulled green onions from its 99 other restaurants in 17 states from Minnesota to the mid-Atlantic.

Unlike Chi-Chi's hot salsa, which is packaged before it arrives at the restaurant, the mild salsa is made partly on site, health officials said.

Hepatitis A is a virus that attacks the liver and can cause fever, nausea, diarrhea, jaundice, fatigue, abdominal pain and loss of appetite. Hepatitis A usually clears up on its own in about two months.

More than 9,100 people received antibody shots in the Pennsylvania outbreak to reduce their chances of contracting the disease after exposure.

The restaurant chain filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection on Oct. 8 in a move unrelated to the outbreak.

On Friday, a bankruptcy judge gave limited approval to Chi-Chi's plans to begin paying some expenses of those sickened in the outbreak ? up to $20,000 per claim.

He did not, however, fully approve Chi-Chi's plan to spend $500,000 on an insurance deductible so the company could tap into as much as $51 million in liability insurance it may need to settle claims.

HoJofan206

So is the ENTIRE Chi Chi's company now out of business?

Jag67

No, They still sell their salsa in stores, last time I checked. I believe all the restaurants are gone though.

store215

QuoteOriginally posted by Jag67
No, They still sell their salsa in stores, last time I checked. I believe all the restaurants are gone though.

The Salsa is made by Hormel....it has nothing to do with the chain except I guess Hormel has a contract with use of that name.

The restaurants are all gone, and most are supposed to become Outback Steakhouses

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321

The Salsa is made by Hormel....it has nothing to do with the chain except I guess Hormel has a contract with use of that name.

The restaurants are all gone, and most are supposed to become Outback Steakhouses

I beleive all the chi chi's are out of business.

WHY, JUST BECAUSE OF ONE RESTUARANT IN ONE CASE. I BELEIVE THAT BECAUSE HOW MANY LAWSUITS WERE ENOUGH TO  CLOSE THE COMPANY FOR ONE RESTUARANT.

IF I WAS ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE WITH HEPATITIS, I WOULD BE SO MAD I WOULD BURN THE RESTURAnt. IS IT TRUE THAT ONCE YOU HAVE IT YOU ARE A CARRIER.

I SAW A CHI CHi's in Framingham Mass and WEst Springfield MAss. The chi chi's in fRamingham was something else when I went there in late October 2003.

HoJofan206

I do beleive ALL of the Chi Chi stores are out of business at this point

Caldor1999

Chi Chi's is gone and the name Chi Chi's Means Boobs in Spanish:insane: i have no idea why someone would name it Boobs any way the closed in they filed for ch11 in 2003 and closed fro good in sep 2004 and im not suprised eather cause of all the Law sutes they got agest them beacuse of the hepatitis outbreak lol that would really bring a Chain out of bizz im just luckey i never ate there
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

tokensafari

Ours was tore down to make way for an outdoor mall. It was a great place to eat!!

Jag67

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
Chi Chi's is gone and the name Chi Chi's Means Boobs in Spanish

Either somebody was obsessed with girls, or didn't know.:insane:

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

all the stuff they ut in it
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

and hear i am wit the Chi Chis Slasa
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

im scred to eta that salsa afetr what i heard happed:insane:
Caldor Forever!

Jag67

Nahh..ChiChis salsa is made by hormel...the stuff sold at restaurants was made by...ChiChis!!!

Caldor1999

Nahh..ChiChis salsa is made by hormel...the stuff sold at restaurants was made by...ChiChis!!!

o lol
Caldor Forever!

storehistoryguy

Chi Chi's is dead now.

Caldor1999

cool pics i lik the logo
Caldor Forever!

storehistoryguy

A Chi-Chis in the early 80's. Apparently it was lost to a fire some point in the future. I believe it was in Cambridge Nj..

http://homepage.mac.com/aglee/2001/2001-02-11-old-cambridge/

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by HoJofan206
So is the ENTIRE Chi Chi's company now out of business?

last summer I saw a Chi Chi's in enfield connecticut vacant and saw one in Framingham mass a  few years ago. it is amasing how oen chi chi's restuarant outbreak can shut the chain down, but then 500 customers got sick.