Thriftway

Started by storehistoryguy, July 05, 2005, 09:08:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

storehistoryguy

Thriftway and Shop "n" Bag both came together in 1996. I worked at an old, small Thriftway in Warminster back in the late 90's. It opened in the 60's. 10 isles. It closed in 2000. In 2002, it was taken over by a Dollar Land. I really miss it.

store215

There isn't too many stores left using either name, as most are/were small, old stores who can't compete when a larger chain moves in. It is a grocery co-op like IGA and Shop Rite are.

And storehistoryguy, didn't that store become a SuperValu (another co-op) at one point? That is how I saw it referenced as on an out-of date grocery coupons page.

Logo:

Here is their (very poorly designed) website:
http://www.thriftwayshopnbag.com/

And here is a "Thriftway" commercial from 1994 before both co-ops joined together :

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=PATHRIFTWAYDEC1993

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy
Thriftway and Shop "n" Bag both came together in 1996. I worked at an old, small Thriftway in Warminster back in the late 90's. It opened in the 60's. 10 isles. It closed in 2000. In 2002, it was taken over by a Dollar Land. I really miss it.

alort of stores filed for bankrupsic that year inculding Grand Union Montgomery Ward and Bradlees all closed in 2001 though
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321
There isn't too many stores left using either name, as most are/were small, old stores who can't compete when a larger chain moves in. It is a grocery co-op like IGA and Shop Rite are.

And storehistoryguy, didn't that store become a SuperValu (another co-op) at one point? That is how I saw it referenced as on an out-of date grocery coupons page.

Logo:

Here is their (very poorly designed) website:
http://www.thriftwayshopnbag.com/

And here is a "Thriftway" commercial from 1994 before both co-ops joined together :

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=PATHRIFTWAYDEC1993

Not in PA. or NJ. or DEL. Where did you get that commercial?

store215

I had it on an old VHS tape..thats where most of the commercials I find come from. (Check your u2u messages too)

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by 76BraldorZayKamesfanBBTB
I like Thiftway's logo

BTW did they changed their slogan?

song is so nostolgic and catchy!

"Thrift-way!, we're the one for se-le-ction! Thrift-way!, we're the one for saaav-ings!, Thriffft-Way!, we're still the one for you!"

LOL they must've changed it by now!

Thriftway and Shop "n" Bag are pretty much at the bottom now.

storehistoryguy

The Warrington Pa. Shop "n" Bag. It opened during the early 70's and closed in 2003 and is now a carpet and tile store.

storehistoryguy

This is a pic of Landis Thriftway in Schwenksville Pa. that went out of business in 2002. It opened in 1973 and was never remodeled. It always looked 70s like inside. Miles Pharmacy and Univest Bank which were inside the supermarket closed with it. Today the building sits abandon. Sad. :(

storehistoryguy

Heres the old sign.

store215

I think Landis has a few other stores that are still open

storehistoryguy

I think Landis has a few other stores that are still open

I knew they did but I don't know where they are. New Jersey maybe.

store215

Landis has three other locations:

http://www.landismarket.com/Locations.htm

I'm not sure how they can even compete though with no Sunday hours.

storehistoryguy

storehistoryguy

A Shop 'n' Bag that is a former Super Fresh in Philadelphia Pa.

http://www.tomasher.net/deadretail.html

storehistoryguy

When Parker's Thriftway in Middletown Nj. was going out of business on April 15, 2003.

http://www.middletowntranscript.com/TransArchives/04-17-03/pages/saygoodbyetoyes.html

storehistoryguy

store215

The store above looks suspeciously like an old Pathmark going by the sign frame and the similar isle signs (except they are blue in the pic. and pathmark uses (or used) orange so they may have been painted)

store215

The store above looks suspeciously like an old Pathmark going by the sign frame and the similar isle signs (except they are blue in the pic. and pathmark uses (or used) orange so they may have been painted)

storehistoryguy

Yeah, I noticed that too. Probebly was one and they just painted the signs.

MikeRa

There are, in Philadelphia, PA, several Thriftway/Shop n' Bag stores that are still opened.

1: Holiday Thriftway: Pratt Street and Frankford Avenue (Former Penn Fruit Company supermarket)
2: Welsh Road Shop N' Bag: Welsh Road, east of Roosevelt Boulevard (former A&P "Centential-Colonial design" Supermarket

:saint:
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

Joeg

From what I can remember, Thriftway was bought out by Winn-Dixie in the late 80's or early 90's.  When W/D downsized in the early 2000's they were the first to go.

MikeRa

QuoteOriginally posted by DefunctStoreKing
what was the store brand for Thriftway? Thriftway merged with Shop 'N Bag in 1884 becoming both Thriftway/Shop 'N Bag.
The Philadelphia area Thriftway 's store brand was Montco, named for their then-owners of their co-op, William Montgomery and Comapny.  Shop N' Bag's co-op owner was Frankford Grocery Company, who's headquarters was a couple of blocks north and one block East of PTC/SEPTA's Church Street Station, situated right behind the former HQ of The Frankford Trust Company.

There is a Thriftway store located at the SE Corner of Pratt Street & Frankfords Avenue, in a former Penn Fruit Company's "Marina" style supermarket building.

Mobil

At Lansdowne Ave. and 61st Street in Philadelphia, there is a former '60s Acme with the peaked roof that became a Thriftway, which is now closed too. There is a mural on the side of the store!!! :holysh::huh::no::flaming: Just a note to anyone who may live in the area, if you want to go see it, it's in a bad area.

EddieJ1984

Here is some pics of the Mayfair Shop N Bag (northeast philadelphia)

MikeRa

I grew up near couple of Thriftway stores:

• Woodhaven Road and Knights Road, Philadelphia, was a former Pantry Pride, then became a shop N' bag, is slated to demolished if not alread demolished.
  • Leo Mall, Bustelton Avenue, Philadelphia, was part of a Food Fair/J. M. fields combo store.  The Food Fair/Pantry Pride/Thriftway store still remains, under a new name
  • Bustelton Avenue and Red Lion Road, Philadelpia, this Thriftway later became a Herman's Sporting goods, and is now a Rite Aid

EddieJ1984

Heres a pic of the sign for the mayfair shop n bag off frankford avenue

Oh yea also I believe this thread used to be titled Thirftway/Shop N Bag

Bassbomb91

In Philadelphia, there is one Thriftway that I am a frequent visitor of. It is located in the Port Richmond Plaza at Aramingo and York in the Port Richmond section of the city.

Here is a link to the pic
http://www.flickr.com/photos/50052895@N07/4902296647/

MikeRa

Here are the current Thriftway/Shop N' Bag locations

New Jersey

• Bishop's Thriftway
    Route 22, P.O. Box 118, Whitehouse Station, NJ 08889
  • Crystal Lake Thriftway
    413 Crystal Lake Avenue, Haddonfield, NJ 08033
  • Farmingdale Shop N Bag
    10 Bank Street, Farmingdale, NJ 07727
  • Foley's Shop N Bag
    1080 Whitehorse - Mercerville Road, Hamilton, NJ 08619
  • Robbinsville Thriftway
    Foxmoor Shopping Center, 1091 Washington Blvd., Robbinsville, NJ 08691
  • Marrazzo's Thriftway
    1400 Parkway Avenue, Ewing, NJ 08628
  • Mystic Island Shop N Bag
    200 Mathistown Road, Little Egg Harbor, NJ 08087
  • Pennington Quality Market
    25 Route 31 South - Suite X, Pennington, NJ 08534
  • Pennsauken Thriftway
    5000 North Cresent Blvd., Pennsauken, NJ 08109
  • Shop N Bag at Pennsauken Airport Circle
    7500 Route 130 N, Pennsauken, NJ 08109
Pennsylvania

• Broad Street Shop n Bag
    4424 North Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA 19140
  • DeKalb Supermarket
    815 Dekalb Street, Norristown, PA 19401
  • Dublin Shop N Bag
    161 Main Street, Dublin, PA 18917
  • George's Dreshertown Shop N Bag
    1650 Limekiln Pike, Dresher, PA 19025
  • Holiday Shop N Bag at Dungan Road
    7938 Dungan Road, Philadelphia, PA 19111
  • Holiday Shop N Bag at Welsh Road (Former Colonial/Centennial A&P)
    2401 Welsh Road, Philadelphia, PA 19114
  • Holiday Thriftway (Former Penn Fruit Company)
    Frankford and Pratt Streets, Philadelphia, PA 19124
  • Hope Plaza Thriftway
    2101 W. Lehigh Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19132
  • Landis Thriftway at Perkasie
    Perkasie Square Shopping Center, 543 Constitution Avenue, Perkasie, PA 18944
  • Landis Supermarket at Schwenksville
    841 Gravel Pike, Schwenksville, PA 19473
  • Landis Supermarket at Telford
    2685 County Line Road, Telford, PA 18969
  • Landis Supermarket at Vernfield
    2700 Shelly Road, Harleysville, PA 19438
  • Mar-Win Shop N Bag
    62 West Marshall Road, Lansdowne, PA 19050
  • Mayfair Shop N Bag
    Mayfair Center, 6499 Sackett Street, Philadelphia, PA 19149
  • Port Richmond Thriftway
    2497 Aramingo Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19125
  • Richboro Shop N Bag
    1025 N. Second Street, Richboro, PA 18954
  • Sanatoga Thriftway
    2190 East High Street, Pottstown, PA 19464
  • Supreme Food Market at Walnut Street (Shop N' Bag)
    4301 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104

MikeRa

I've only found recently in my house an old (1990's) empty Montco soda can, as well as a old Shop 'N' Bag soda can, with the 1990's logo.  I will eventually get the pics up on the web.

Ameskid

Thriftway was also the name for a separate chain of 21 grocery stores in the Cincinnati area, owned by Winn-Dixie.  The chain closed its doors in 2004.

One former location in Milford, Ohio.
Former Thriftway, Milford, OH by Harvestman Man, on Flickr

Nice labelscar, eh?
Former Thriftway, Milford, OH by Harvestman Man, on Flickr

I found some large metal carts from the chain at a Goodwill nine years ago. Long gone now, sadly.

Thriftway Carts by Harvestman Man, on Flickr

This location in Newport, KY was a Thriftway sometime in the early '80s, not sure when it closed.
Former Rink's/Rite Aid, Newport, KY by Harvestman Man, on Flickr

The former location behind Beechmont Mall outside of Cincinnati. It was demolished around 2005 or 2006.
thriftway.jpg by jon allen, on Flickr

Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/