Steiger's

Started by Valerie, July 15, 2008, 12:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valerie

I don't know if anyone is from Western, Ma and remembers Steiger's?? I was pretty young when they closed, but I looked them up and found some articles. They have no dates and are only partial articles, because after that you had to subscribe to the site...

NEW YORK (FNS) --Albert Steiger, Inc., has completed going-out-of-business sales at its 10-unit, Springfield, Mass-based Steiger's department store chain, netting about 61 cents on the dollar for the $30 million of inventory.

The 101-year-old chain announced last year it was closing down operations because the faltering New England economy made it increasingly difficult "to turn a profit." Due to the success of the liquidation sales, Steiger's which liquidated outside of court, paid creditors 100 cents of the dollar.

and

LEAD: The 24-year-old great-grandson of a Massachusetts department store magnate has been charged in the fatal shootings of two men.

The 24-year-old great-grandson of a Massachusetts department store magnate has been charged in the fatal shootings of two men.

The suspect, Eric K. Steiger, of Suffield, was arraigned today in the slayings on Saturday of Daniel Seymour, 25, and Mr. Seymour's friend, William Price, 26.

Mr. Steiger, a student at American International College in Springfield, Mass., surrendered to the police Sunday. He has been charged with two counts of murder and a single capital felony count. If convicted, he could face the death penalty.

Mr. Steiger's great-grandfather was Albert Steiger, founder of the Springfield-based Steiger's chain of department stores.

The state police said Mr. Seymour, his parents and sister had moved into their new home Friday in the Kent Farms development in Suffield, a rural town on the northern border of Massachusetts.

At about 10:30 P.M. Saturday, Mr. Seymour and Mr. Price approached a loud group of 25 to 30 people who were gathered near the home and told them to leave, said Sgt. Daniel Lewis of the state police.

The group broke up but Mr. Steiger returned to the Seymour home in a car with two other men, Sergeant Lewis said. There was a confrontation and the two men were shot.

Valerie

Ooops, found one more article and maybe a cool pic of an old catalog if it will copy :)

"Hello everybody!...

Forrest Flanders here again for Old Catalogs..

This week I have scanned 2 old department store catalogs from the Steiger's department store.

In case you didn't know, Steiger's was a Springfield, Connecticut-based department store that was famous for it's high-end fashion merchandise. Like many of the older department stores, Steiger's was acquired by another leading department store, the May Co., in the mid-1990's.

I have "camera" scanned two of their really older catalogs from 1923 & 1924....They are short, with both running 16 inside pages plus front and back covers. Both are Spring catalog issues."

Sorry I don't know how to paste the pics in but this guy from the article scans old catalogs, it is pretty cool. Here is the link if you wanna check it out...
http://forrestflanderscentral.typepad.com/old_catalogs/2008/03/old-catalog-sca.html