If you could franchise a restaurant

Started by videogamer75, July 14, 2008, 02:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

If you could franchise a restaurant....

Total Members Voted: 0

videogamer75

I would franchise a Taco Bell if I had the money. They have some of the best fast food, and have creative and cool store designs and advertising. I like all the other restaurants a lot, but I would definitely franchise a Taco Bell.

C. Fontaine

I agree, if I had the startup money I'd definitely do a Taco Bell, or these other mexican places called Chipotle and Qdoba.  They're like the Subway of mexican retaurants!  Anyway I would buy into one of them and set up shop in a small town like Dudley.  Since Taco Bell opened up here the place has had non-stop business, because we've never had anything like that nearby before.

Having worked for one, Subway is the easiest to buy into though.  You don't need to prove any assets, and you only need about $20,000 in startup funds if you lease all the equipment.  The only thing they don't mention is you're not going to churn a profit with just one store, since they've done such a good job oversaturating small markets.  In my town alone we have 3 Subways with three different owners pitted against each other.

beachgal26

I'd love to have a Dunkin Donuts since they have been out of the Memphis market for about 15 years and are supposed to be coming back within the year.  

It wasn't listed, but I would also like to try my hand at bringing Friendly's to our area.  They are so great and we have nothing comparable to them in the South and I think they'd do well here!

:yup:

scottw73

I'd like to have a Dunkin Donuts, I would either have a freestanding one or maybe open one in a Gas Station. No matter where they are they seem to do a good amount of business.

dmx10101

None of the above, I'd franchise a Church's chicken.
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

videogamer75

QuoteOriginally posted by C. Fontaine
I agree, if I had the startup money I'd definitely do a Taco Bell, or these other mexican places called Chipotle and Qdoba.  They're like the Subway of mexican retaurants!  Anyway I would buy into one of them and set up shop in a small town like Dudley.  Since Taco Bell opened up here the place has had non-stop business, because we've never had anything like that nearby before.

Having worked for one, Subway is the easiest to buy into though.  You don't need to prove any assets, and you only need about $20,000 in startup funds if you lease all the equipment.  The only thing they don't mention is you're not going to churn a profit with just one store, since they've done such a good job oversaturating small markets.  In my town alone we have 3 Subways with three different owners pitted against each other.

Yeah, you're right about Subway. Even though it's the easiest to buy into, I think Dunkin' Donuts would probably be the easiest restaurant to actually operate, all you really need to do is get people donuts and pour cups of coffee (well, they are starting to add hot lunch items to the menu (which are good!), lol.

I used to have a taco bell in my town, but the guy who owned it didn't pay taxes or something so it closed 10 years ago, and then it got replaced by a laundromat which got replaced by a Starbucks last year which is closing next month as part of starbucks closing 600 stores - whew, that was a mouthful. :insane: I wonder what will replace it in the future....hopefully another TB, or an Arby's...mmmm!

videogamer75

QuoteOriginally posted by dmx10101

Never heard of them...where are they located? :)

beachgal26

To the 2 previous replies, you are not missing a thing with Church's chicken.  Maybe it's just the areas I've lived in, but they were always located in areas right outside the ghetto and had terrible reviews.

I haven't been to a Roy Rogers in years and was surprised to hear that they had chili.

:yup:

dmx10101

QuoteOriginally posted by videogamer75

http://www.churchs.com/ They are owned by the same company that runs Popeyes. They have locations all over the US. I've been eating there for a while and lucklily they just opened one like a mile from my house.
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

videogamer75

http://www.churchs.com/ They are owned by the same company that runs Popeyes. They have locations all over the US. I've been eating there for a while and lucklily they just opened one like a mile from my house.

Okay, thanks for the info. The only popeyes in my neck of NJ was in the Echelon Mall in Voorhees. I wonder if it's still there?

mikey7290

QuoteOriginally posted by C. Fontaine

Yeah, you're right about Subway. Even though it's the easiest to buy into, I think Dunkin' Donuts would probably be the easiest restaurant to actually operate, all you really need to do is get people donuts and pour cups of coffee (well, they are starting to add hot lunch items to the menu (which are good!), lol.

I used to have a taco bell in my town, but the guy who owned it didn't pay taxes or something so it closed 10 years ago, and then it got replaced by a laundromat which got replaced by a Starbucks last year which is closing next month as part of starbucks closing 600 stores - whew, that was a mouthful. :insane: I wonder what will replace it in the future....hopefully another TB, or an Arby's...mmmm!

That's exactly what happened to the Dairy Queen where I live.  The guy didn't pay his taxes either.  After years of being vacant, it was torn down for a pharmacy.  I really miss it. :(

videogamer75

Yeah, I miss my local Taco Bell too. :( Maybe they'll move back into the space since starbucks is closing...but I don't think it will happen.

videogamer75

I discovered recently that there's a Church's Chicken in Lawnside, NJ, which isn't too far from where I am. I should try it sometime.

gu4ever

If I had the money to open a restaurant I would open a.....
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

buzz86us

I'd open a Little Caesars I was so pissed off when my local one shut down they used to be everywhere then K-Mart bought them out and closed like 80% of them. They are my favorite chain pizza I personally think they died out because they were in a rubbish location on Washington ave in Albany the traffic just to get to it was a pain in the ass. I personally think one around central ave would fare pretty well. Just as many people are coming down the road but the traffic isn't as bad.

retailisking

If I won the lottery and had money to blow on a speculative franchise I'd bring a Golden Corral to Maine. That, or maybe a Chick-Fil-A; at least I'd be able to take Sundays off...

Zayre88

Golden Corral to Maine and NH = win!

I would re-open Bonanza Steakhouses with new buildings with their new west concept in ME and NH.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

I'd franchise a few Hardee's restaurants in Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont.

retailisking

Quote from: ShopKoFan on April 17, 2012, 07:40:06 PM
I'd franchise a few Hardee's restaurants in Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont.

I actually ate at a Hardee's in Brattleboro, VT more than 20 years ago. The owner of the ex-franchise passed away not long ago. I think that franchise grew out of Burger Chef, which had locations in the region before the Hardee's buyout.

shore72

When we travel to KY we always stop at Tim Hortons-a real step up from most Dunkin' Donuts; I think they would go over well, especially in a more affluent area.

JimSawhill

Quote from: dmx10101 on July 14, 2008, 04:07:23 PM

Here (in Tampa)... there are 3 Church's out of business....Myself I would franchise either: Shady Glen....or Smokey Bones...

MikeRa

if I could franchise a restaurant, tavern, pub or bar, this is one that I would consider:
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/rose-and-crown-dining-room/
If, not, then:
http://www.triumphbrewing.com/
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

If I franchised a restaurant...

I'd probably franchise Taco John's or Subway. I'd franchise a few Taco John's restaurants in SW Maine including a restaurant at the Maine Mall's food court in Portland, as well as in the Cook's Corner area of Brunswick.

Pikapower

Well,if I had the money to franchise a restaurant, I'd bring back Fuddruckers or Quiznos, if not then, Mighty Taco, America needs more Mighty Tacos! 
I'm on Devianart: https://pikachuxash.deviantart.com/

Don't forget to check out the USA Store Fanon Wiki: https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/USA_Store_Fanon_Wikia

buzz86us

Quote from: buzz86us on April 11, 2012, 09:36:03 PM
I'd open a Little Caesars I was so pissed off when my local one shut down they used to be everywhere then K-Mart bought them out and closed like 80% of them. They are my favorite chain pizza I personally think they died out because they were in a rubbish location on Washington ave in Albany the traffic just to get to it was a pain in the ass. I personally think one around central ave would fare pretty well. Just as many people are coming down the road but the traffic isn't as bad.
A Little Caesars franchisee must be on this forum because they have answered my suggestion and put one exactly where I said. If you are still listening how about a 7-Eleven over by Colonie center several prime locations for that. Also buy out the Fuze Box and open a White Castle in that location (former White Tower). Another good idea would be a Sonic over by the exit where the Northway inn is just bulldoze that eyesore then if you can get permission to allow and entrance to your restaurant as you get off the exit I think you'd have some money there.

zonemad96

Quote from: Pikapower on February 06, 2014, 07:49:04 AM
Well,if I had the money to franchise a restaurant, I'd bring back Fuddruckers or Quiznos, if not then, Mighty Taco, America needs more Mighty Tacos! 

Quiznos deserves to die completely their unprofitable franchise mislead investors and they constantly screwed over franchise owners more so than other companys.

zonemad96

I would probably open a Jack in the Box even though I have never been to one in my life. They seem to resemble taco bell in their style of products with a large focus on snacking which is something other fast food restaurants fail miserably at. Another thing they do that resembles taco bell is they seem to cater to the teen crowd with the whole late night thing and the advertising seems to cater to young adults as well. The closest jack in the box is over 300 miles away and I think they would do well in the MD/PA area. Their commercials have to be some of the best commercials of all time http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRv9_Q3HOmg

Or maybe a Hot 'n Now even though currently only 1 I think still exists it seems they a had a lot of potential to become one of the largest fast food chains in the usa until taco bell ran it into the ground because they didn't know what they were doing or just didn't care.

Pikapower

Quote from: zonemad96 on February 07, 2014, 02:02:32 AM
Quote from: Pikapower on February 06, 2014, 07:49:04 AM

Quiznos deserves to die completely their unprofitable franchise mislead investors and they constantly screwed over franchise owners more so than other companys.

Who I'm I kidding to bring back Quiznos!? I miss their toasted subs and the pepper bar. Subway's toasted subs kind of suck, I much rather microwave a Subway sub than telling them to toast it!
I'm on Devianart: https://pikachuxash.deviantart.com/

Don't forget to check out the USA Store Fanon Wiki: https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/USA_Store_Fanon_Wikia

bubcolbert1952

IHOP... wait a minute is that a franchised chain or not?

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: bubcolbert1952 on February 09, 2014, 01:34:33 AM
IHOP... wait a minute is that a franchised chain or not?

According to Wikipedia - yes.