Pay Less Discount Supermarkets (IGA)

Started by wiseguy93, July 13, 2008, 07:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pay Less Supermarket

Total Members Voted: 0

wiseguy93

Pay Less Discount Supermarkets (IGA)
They have 3 locations all in Wise County, Virginia. Their offices are located in Coeburn, Virginia. They were started over 50 years ago with their first store in Coeburn, Va. They soon opened their second store in Wise, Va. They currently operate 3 locations in Coeburn, Wise, Appalachia, Virginia. With a gas and go at Coeburn, Va. They Atwood Family of Coeburn owns Pay Less.
At one time they have had several locations. Former locations are St. Paul, Virginia, Norton, Virginia, Dryden,Virginia and Pennington Gap Virginia. The Pennington Gap location was in the former Cas Walker Supermarket. It closed back a few years when a flood did damage to the building, they never opened that location back. The one in Norton Virgina was in a former Kroger's. Pay Less used to have a deli that made awesome food, but shut those down several years ago. they are just a local IGA, with pretty descent prices.

wiseguy93

This is the Pay Less in Wise Va. They own this shopping center. It was a smaller store when it first open. Ben Frankling five and dime was located right beside of it and when Ben Franklin closed down they knocked out the wall between both stores and made Pay Less a lot bigger. The store has been here for a least 35 or 40 years. It's the only supermarket located right in the town of Wise, Food City is located outside of town right off U.S. 23.

wiseguy93

wiseguy93

Pay Less Discount Supermarkets are celebraing thier 60th Anniversary. They started in 1948

wiseguy93

Here's the slogan of Pay Less Discount Supermarkets

"Locally owned & Operated"

"Wise County's Low Price Leader"

Joeg

I thought Food City was in the town of Wise VA?? I wish we had a Food City were I live, because by looking at there ads on line they seem to be very reasonable.

wiseguy93

Yes Food City is located in the town limits. But Pay Less is located in the "downtown area" of Wise. Food City is right off U.S. 23 right beside of Lowe's and near the shopping centers.

Joeg

Thanks!  How about Ukrops? Do you think they will move toward that area?? were is Ronake VA(I'm not sure I spelled that right) in conjunction with Wise VA??

wiseguy93

Roanoke is about 2 1/2 hours from Wise, Va. Wise is located in Southwestern Virginia. We can be in Tennessee in 45 minutes, Kentucky in 30minutes. We are 2 1/2 Southwest of Roanoke. I don't think anything else will come this way. Food City pretty much has all the completion. Food Lion was here for 20 yrs and Food City ran them out. Kroger has been in this area on two different times. Kroger just can't get a start her. Pay Less has done good being a small buiness they are able to stand with Food City. Ingles has been here for about 20 years, and now with Super Wal mart.

wiseguy93

Coeburn is the first place a Pay Less Supermarket opened for buiness 60 yrs ago. I'am not sure about the age of this building. The office for Pay Less is located upstairs. This location has a gas and go right over to the right side called a Save More gas. The gas as only been opened for a few years.

wiseguy93

Here a picture of the Save More Gas (Gas and Go) of Pay Less Supermarket located in Coeburn, va. This is to the right of the store.

wiseguy93

Here a picture of Coeburn's Pay Less Save More Gas sign.