Bottom Dollar Food

Started by wiseguy93, July 09, 2008, 02:47:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheFugitive

Pennsylvania Senator Bob Casey has leaped into the breach to try and convince Aldi to
not eliminate any jobs as a result of this deal.

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/breaking-news/index.ssf/2014/12/aldi_should_preserve_bottom_do.html

Not gonna happen.  Aldi stores are a model of extreme German efficiency.  They were specifically designed to handle even high-traffic days with five or six employees.  Bottom Dollar stores are staffed more like a traditional supermarket from what I can see.

Then again, we here in the Keystone State have never regarded Sen. Casey as the brightest bulb in the box.

On the plus side, Aldi does pay a very good wage for the retail industry (advertising for help near me
at $12-14 per hour).  So any Bottom Dollar employees who do manage to stay on should be happy.

BillyGr

Quote from: TheFugitive on December 02, 2014, 10:49:33 AM
Pennsylvania Senator Bob Casey has leaped into the breach to try and convince Aldi to
not eliminate any jobs as a result of this deal.

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/breaking-news/index.ssf/2014/12/aldi_should_preserve_bottom_do.html

Not gonna happen.  Aldi stores are a model of extreme German efficiency.  They were specifically designed to handle even high-traffic days with five or six employees.  Bottom Dollar stores are staffed more like a traditional supermarket from what I can see.

Then again, we here in the Keystone State have never regarded Sen. Casey as the brightest bulb in the box.

On the plus side, Aldi does pay a very good wage for the retail industry (advertising for help near me
at $12-14 per hour).  So any Bottom Dollar employees who do manage to stay on should be happy.

Any idea how much they make now?  If it is closer to the minimum, they could keep twice as many employees happy by having each one work half a position (since half the hours at the rate you mention would be fairly similar to the full amount of hours at a "minimum" wage).

TheFugitive

My daughter had interviewed for a job at Bottom Dollar, and I believe they were offering
something just slightly above minimum.

FitchMike26

It's been a few weeks since the announcement. I've gathered tidbits of information from here, plus other places. And I still predict:

40% of the stores eventually reopen as Aldi.

30% or less of the stores, in ideal locations like King of Prussia, someday reopen as Trader Joe's.
Allow me to stress again IN IDEAL LOCATIONS.

The remaining 30% or more locations never reopen.

store215

Quote from: FitchMike26 on December 04, 2014, 03:16:53 PM
It's been a few weeks since the announcement. I've gathered tidbits of information from here, plus other places. And I still predict:

40% of the stores eventually reopen as Aldi.

30% or less of the stores, in ideal locations like King of Prussia, someday reopen as Trader Joe's.
Allow me to stress again IN IDEAL LOCATIONS.

The remaining 30% or more locations never reopen.

I was kind of hoping Aldi maybe was going to toy around with an experiment of keeping/running Bottom Dollar As-Is. I mean, they haven't publicly said anything yet, so anything is still possible. Aren't Aldi store generally smaller than Bottom Dollar?

retailisking

Quote from: MBZ321 on December 10, 2014, 01:58:09 AM
Aren't Aldi store generally smaller than Bottom Dollar?

New-build ALDI stores top out at about 20K. Bottom Dollar stores ranged from 16,848 to 30,352 square feet. There is the remote possibility of ALDI testing out a larger store format, but they will likely just subdivide the larger Bottom Dollars. ALDI didn't arrive at 20K by accident.

TheFugitive

Bottom Dollar Stores only have about 2 1/2 weeks left to live.

So they are flooding my inbox with sale circulars WHY exactly??   ???

FitchMike26

I get the same emails, and paper circulars in the snail mail.

I suppose since they only sold their leases (and not the Bottom Dollar name or inventory) they want to keep the shoppers as long as they possibly can.

I'll pop in there after Christmas (but before closing) for one last "price match" trip.

EddieJ1984

I won't miss their annoying commercials that would be on the radio with the pig, I should stop in it tho one time before they go by next month.

MikeRa

All Bottom Dollar Food locations are slated to be closed by January 15, according to both the Philadelphia inquirer and the Bucks County Courier Times
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

TheFugitive

HUMUNGOUS dumpster was parked outside the Bottom Dollar store when I drove by this morning.
It looks like anything perishable that is not sold by this time next week is going in there, along with signage, etc.

EddieJ1984

Well I went into the one near me today (the roosevelt blvd location in ne philly) everything was 50% off, there was no produce left at all, most of the refridgerated/freezed stuff was gone, some stuff.
Stocked up on some stuff they did have.
Update: And that would be the last day they would be open (1/10/2015), drove by today thinking I'd see if they had anything left, nope, all closed up! Guess evryone cleaned em out yesterday.

TheFugitive

Bottom Dollar here is officially closed as of this morning.  Butcher paper over all of the windows,
and that big dumpster out front looks mighty full.   Will be interesting to see if this reopens as an Aldi.
There are Aldi stores 2 to 3 miles on either side of it along the same road.

FitchMike26

King of Prussia, PA location is closed as well.

I loved Bottom Dollar, but the employees at this particular location were horrible. Good riddance.

TheFugitive

My local store was already closed at 7AM.  Must have sold out early.

Apparently residents in one Pittsburgh neighborhood are not happy about losing their
Bottom Dollar store. 

http://triblive.com/news/adminpage/7548181-74/store-aldi-garfield#axzz3OhuL7L3s

Mayor Bill Peduto has now gotten involved in trying to pressure them into turning the
building over to another grocer.  For some strange reason politicians here seem to think
it is their job to get involved in trying to place grocery stores in certain neighborhoods
(happened when the Beechview Foodland store closed a few years ago)

EddieJ1984

Well heres before and now pic of the bottom dollar near me
In August 2011 when it was coming soon. (Opened early 2012)

And now (Jan 2015) closed.

FitchMike26

EddieJ1984, where was this Bottom Dollar/former Acme located?

EddieJ1984

Northeast philly, on roosevelt blvd near ryan/borbeck ave, was Ilona Keller's Dugans restaurant before bottom dollar.

Heres the pic of it (not mine) of it as the restaurant.

FitchMike26

Ah yes, Ilona Keller's! A well known building.

MikeRa

Quote from: FitchMike26 on January 18, 2015, 06:12:12 PM
Ah yes, Ilona Keller's! A well known building.
Started out as a "A-Frame" Acme Markets, closed when Acme acquired the Penn Fruit by Pantry Pride building located at Roosevelt Blvd & Solly Avenue

TheFugitive

The signs have been removed from my local Bottom Dollar location.
They are now officially part of retail history.

EddieJ1984

Quote from: TheFugitive on January 29, 2015, 08:28:15 AM
The signs have been removed from my local Bottom Dollar location.
They are now officially part of retail history.
Yep, they removed the sign last week from the one near me, been having an equipment liquidation sale.

MikeRa

They also removed the signs from the Penndel location as well.  Most likely removed from all locations.

FitchMike26

Signs removed in King of Prussia & East Norriton, too.

EddieJ1984

The one near me is going to reopen as an aldi.
Here is a list of which ones are reopening as an aldi
Pennsylvania

Allentown â€" 1856 Catasauqua Road
    Coatesville â€" 154 Airport Road
    Lansdowne â€" 48 W Baltimore Avenue
    Levittown â€" 2990 Edgely Road
    Philadelphia â€" 6119 N Broad Street
    Philadelphia â€" 3975 Castor Avenue
    Philadelphia â€" 3101 West Girard Avenue
    Philadelphia â€" 9303 Krewstown Road
    Philadelphia â€" 7900 Roosevelt Boulevard
    Souderton â€" 703 Route 113
    Willow Grove â€" 1955 Davisville Road

New Jersey

Bellmawr â€" 156 W. Browning Road
    Bordentown â€" 262-C Route 130
    Cherry Hill â€" 2110 Route 38
    East Windsor â€" 440 US Hwy 130
    Edgewater Park â€" 4225 South Route 130
    Glassboro â€" 812 North Delsea Drive
    Lumberton â€" 1636 Route 38
    Trenton â€" 2735 S. Broad Street
    Woodbury â€" 203 S. Broad Street

Read more: http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/ALDI-Reopening-20-Shuttered-Bottom-Dollar-Locations-297857171.html#ixzz3ViD7ddnU
Follow us: @nbcphiladelphia on Twitter | nbcphiladelphia on Facebook

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/ALDI-Reopening-20-Shuttered-Bottom-Dollar-Locations-297857171.html?_osource=SocialFlowFB_PHBrand