Bottom Dollar Food

Started by wiseguy93, July 09, 2008, 02:47:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wiseguy93

This is taken form their web site I just wanted to share.

Food Lion Opens Third Bottom Dollar Concept Store in North Carolina
Asheboro N.C. joins High Point and Mt. Airy as test market for new discount grocer

October 14, 2005

SALISBURY, N.C. - Today Food Lion LLC announced the grand opening of its third Bottom Dollar pilot store in Asheboro, N.C., on Oct. 19. Bottom Dollar provides customers with the most popular national brands, fresh produce and quality meats at best prices.

In a strategy focused on redefining the discount grocery model, Bottom Dollar offers customers both national brands and private label products, in addition to fresh produce and quality meats at discount prices in an upbeat shopping environment. Bottom Dollar Director Tom Anderson said the concept was created by streamlining services and procedures and passing the savings on to the customers.
Bottom Dollar, a test concept from Food Lion LLC, is a discount grocer offering approximately 6,500 different products, which include national brands, fresh produce and quality meats. Food Lion LLC operates three Bottom Dollar pilot stores in North Carolina.

Food Lion LLC is a subsidiary of Delhaize America, the U.S. division of Brussels-based Delhaize Group (NYSE: DEG). Food Lion LLC operates 1,300 supermarkets under the Food Lion, Bloom, Harveys, Reid's and Bottom Dollar banners, meeting local customer needs and preferences for the freshest and best quality products. Food Lion employs approximately 73,000 associates in 11 Southeast and Mid-Atlantic states.

read the rest on www.bottomdollarfood.com

wiseguy93

April 4, 2006

SALISBURY, N.C. - Food Lion LLC today announced the grand opening of its fourth Bottom Dollar Food store in Hickory, N.C., on April 5. Bottom Dollar Food is a full-shop discount grocer, which provides customers with the most popular national brands, fresh produce and quality meats at everyday best prices.

wiseguy93

14 Stores to Open in Washington, D.C., Area

May 17, 2006

SALISBURY, N.C. - Food Lion LLC today announced the opening of 14 Bottom Dollar Food stores by summer's end in the Washington, D.C., area. Select Food Lion stores will undergo a transformation to become Bottom Dollar Food, a full-shop discount grocer.

In a strategy that redefines the discount grocery model, Bottom Dollar Food offers its members both national brands and private label products, in addition to fresh produce and quality meats at discount prices in a light-hearted, upbeat shopping atmosphere.

The first three stores will open in June, serving Fredericksburg, Va. Eight more stores are slated for July in Woodbridge, Alexandria and Dumfries, Va., Frederick, Laurel, and Gaithersburg, Md. In August, another three stores will be opening in Sterling, Manassas and Chantilly, Va.

Bottom Dollar Food stores debuted in High Point, N.C., in September 2005, and North Carolina now has three other locations

wiseguy93

Bottom Dollar Food Opens 10 Locations Throughout Hampton Roads Region
Food Lion Launches First Phase of Renewal Effort

August 22, 2007

SALISBURY, N.C. - Food Lion LLC's newest brand, Bottom Dollar Food, is set to cut the ribbon on its 10 new stores throughout the Hampton Roads region on Wednesday, Aug. 29, at 8 a.m. The stores mark the first phase of the company's overall renewal efforts for the region, bringing its full-shop discount grocery stores that deliver everyday best prices.

Specifically, there will be four locations in Norfolk at 6203 Virginia Beach Boulevard, 2401 Colley Avenue, 1235 N. Military Highway and 8401 Hampton Boulevard; one in Virginia Beach at 1505 Lynnhaven Parkway; one in Hampton at 85 Coliseum Crossing; three in Newport News at 10143 Jefferson Avenue, 12917 Jefferson Avenue and 6 Elmhurst Street; and one in Portsmouth at 3935 Twin Pines Road.

wiseguy93

All of these locations was once Food Lion.

North Carolina
Asheboro
Hickory
High Point  
Mount Airy

Maryland
Frederick
Gaithersburg
Laurel

Virginia
Alexandria
Dumfries
Fredericksburg
Hampton
Manassas
Newport News
Norfolk
Portsmouth
Sterling
Virginia Beach
Woodbridge

wiseguy93

This was a Food Lion until 2007 and was rennovated to Bottom Dollar. Located in Hampton Va  on Coliseum Drive, in the Coliseum Crossing shopping center

wiseguy93

A Bottom Dollar in Newport News, Virginia. This was formally a Food Lion until Summer 2007

wiseguy93

Former Food Lion converted into a Bottom Dollar

MikeRa

Here are the Bottom Dollar Food locations that are opening in PA:
Allentown - 1856 Catasauqua Road (Valley Plaza) (Opened 11-12-2010)
Allentown - 3235 Hamilton Blvd (Opened 12-17-2010)
Allentown - 2919 Lehigh Street (Opened 12-17-2010)
Bensalem - 2134 Street Road (Bensalem Plaza) (Former Shop N' Bag) (Opened 11-12-2010)
Chalfont - 291 W Butler Avenue (Former A&P) (Opened 12-17-2010)
Coatesville - 100 Airport Road (Airport Village Shopping Center) (Opened 10-29-2010)
Downingtown - 925 East Lancaster Avenue (Opened 10-29-2010)
King Of Prussia -197 E Dekalb Pike (Opened 10-08-2010)
Norriton - 2826 Dekalb Pike (Opened 12-10-2010)
North Wales - 782 Bethlehem Pike (Opened)
Penndel - 11 Bellevue Avenue (Penndel Shopping Center - Former A&P) (Opened 12-05-2010)
Reading - 4270 Perkiomen Avenue (Opened 12-10-2010)
Reading - 20 Shelbourne Road (Opened 12-17-2010)
Willow Grove - 1955 Davisville Road (Opened 11-19-2010)
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

MikeRa

The store brand for all Bottom Dollar Food locations is "Hannaford" brand, even in Food Lion territory.

retailisking

This thread is no fun without store pics/reviews...did DZA do anything meaningful to spiff up the stores, or are they minimal remodels like Save-A-Lot?

MikeRa

For the Penndel, PA store, they completely remodeeled the interior, removing any trace of Thriftway.  they also built a new entryway foyer, in the middle of the store, and sealed up the old A&P entry point.

john9231

Never shopped there before but bottom dollar food sounds like a very frugal place to shop - kinda like "Dollar Rama".nanny background check

MikeRa

Here is a pic of the Bottom Dollar Food (former A&P/Thriftway) in Penndel, PA:

ashourds

New Jersey Stores

Turnersville - 5200 Route 42 (Ganttown Plaza) - Opened 12/10/2010 (Formerly Forman Mills)
Marlton - 230 North Maple Avenue (Crispin Square) - Opened 12/3/2010 (Formerly Murphy's Market)
Cinnaminson - 1402 Route 130 - Opening July 2011 (Formerly Portobello Farm Market)
Cherry Hill - 2100 Route 38 - Opening TBA (Formerly Ashley Furniture Store)
Stratford - Bradlees Plaza, White Horse Pike - Opening TBA (Formerly Bradlees)

Rumored Stores

Bellmawr - Info Unknown
Audubon - 537 Nicholson Road (Formerly Riviera Ballroom)

retailisking

Bottom Dollar is said to be looking at Pittsburgh:
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/business/s_729307.html

MikeRa

Bottom Dollar Food has been slowly replacing the "Hannaford" and "Smart Option" brands with "My Essentials" brand.

retailisking

Yeah, I read about that too; it's happening at all Delhaize banners.

MikeRa

Here's a recent pic i took of the exterior of the Bottom Dollar food, in Penndel, PA:

It's the old entrance to when this was a Centennial/Colonial A&P Supermarket, later Thriftway.

Here's a interior pic:

This is the back of the store, looking towards the right wall, where the old produce department for A&P was, and:

the back of the store, facing the left wall, where the old dairy department for A&P was.

and, of course, this is "My Essentials" brand, which is replacing the Food Lion/Hannaford/Harvey's/Smart option brands:

retailisking

Great pics!  As for that rumored expansion into the Pittsburgh, PA market, it's a rumor no more:
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11203/1162044-28-0.stm

BTW, Teresa F. Lindeman is one of the best writers about retailing working for any mainstream newspaper IMHO.

EddieJ1984

Bottom Dollar is coming to Northeast Philly, on the roosevelt boulavard, where Dugan's restaurant is, which apparently was an Acme til 1979 when it moved up to pennypack circle (which acme knocked down in 2002/3 and reopened a newly built store)  Dunno whether they are converting it or knocking it down and building it. (Sign says "Future Site of Bottom Dollar")

MikeRa

Most of the Bottom Dollar Food locations were former business and supermarkets.  The exception is the one on Bustelton Pike in Feasterville, which is a "New Build" by Delhaize USA.

retailisking

Hundreds of new stores coming.  Funny, I remember reading the existing Bottom Dollar stores not doing all that great.
http://supermarketnews.com/retail_financial/delhaize_discount_1201/?cid=upd

Joeg

I wonder if Bottom Dollar Foods will ever come into the Northeast.

BillyGr

They are closing (or converting back to Food Lion) many of the stores in the traditional Food Lion areas - apparently most of these were Food Lions that they converted in the first place and were really too big for the Bottom Dollar format.

The newer ones are being built to the smaller size (or taking over smaller existing spaces).

As for the Northeast, they might do that, but it would depend if they want to compete with their Hannaford stores that are already in that area. 

That may be why the current expansion area is in PA, kind of filling between Food Lion and Hannaford areas?

retailisking

It appears that these limited-assortment, price-impact grocery formats (Bottom Dollar Food, ALDI, Save-A-Lot) have a "sweet spot" of roughly 15,000-20,000 square feet, PriceRite being a notable exception.  I too have noticed that Bottom Dollar is working best for Delhaize in regions where it does not otherwise operate; PriceRite (which is operated by Wakefern itself and not its co-op members and is looking to expand into Virginia, the heart of Food Lion territory) likewise tries to avoid cannibalizing ShopRite. It's interesting that SuperValu doesn't appear to share the same concern about undercutting its traditional banners, operating Save-A-Lot wherever there are willing licensees, even operating many of the stores themselves.

standa

In Hamden, CT, there is a PriceRite and a Shoprite only one mile apart.  I guess possible cannibalization is not a concern for Wakefern anymore.

retailisking

Are those both Wakefern-owned stores? It's my understanding that all PriceRite stores are corporate.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: standa on January 30, 2012, 11:50:41 AM
In Hamden, CT, there is a PriceRite and a Shoprite only one mile apart.  I guess possible cannibalization is not a concern for Wakefern anymore.

In West Hartford there is a new Shoprite in the former Shaw's building on Kane Street (Exit 44 off I-84). And there is a Price Rite in part of the old Ames.