Banks Miscellaneous

Started by NJxxJon, July 09, 2008, 10:04:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NJxxJon

BANK OF AMERICA here. I hardly go in anymore. All Online banking done. Direct Deposit, etc. I get issue sometimes.......but 10 mins then OUT!. WHO HOLDS YOUR CASH?
JN

C. Fontaine

Citizens Bank... I've had a few problems but they've made good on them.  I used to use Webster Five Cents Savings Bank, a local bank in Webster, MA.  Best service and ease of use I've ever had, but couldn't use them when I moved to Providence.

beachgal26

dmx10101

The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

Ames#1171

Dollar Bank (www.dollarbank.com).  I have a checking, savings, IRA and credit card through them.  I go to the bank everyday, only because I work there!  I do all my bills on their online banking though, get direct deposit, and use the ATM for cash.  So if I didn't work there, I'd never set foot in the bank.

I also have a checking account at The Huntington National Bank (http://www.huntington.com) that I opened when I worked for them for 6 month but I don't use it for anything.
Ames" border="0

NJxxJon

QuoteOriginally posted by Ames#1171
Dollar Bank (www.dollarbank.com).  I have a checking, savings, IRA and credit card through them.  I go to the bank everyday, only because I work there!  I do all my bills on their online banking though, get direct deposit, and use the ATM for cash.  So if I didn't work there, I'd never set foot in the bank.

I also have a checking account at The Huntington National Bank (http://www.huntington.com) that I opened when I worked for them for 6 month but I don't use it for anything.

Yeah the debit card is for me. heh
JN

C. Fontaine

I also rarely carry cash, and it sucks when I'm at toll booths on the pike or a ghetto little mini mart or something that doesn't accept it!

NJxxJon

QuoteOriginally posted by C. Fontaine
I also rarely carry cash, and it sucks when I'm at toll booths on the pike or a ghetto little mini mart or something that doesn't accept it!

hahahaha Ive been to 7-11 off brand places and they go CASH ONLY BUDDY ....I know the feeling....but Id want to be cash only as well If I had a mini mart....
JN

C. Fontaine

I agree, I used to work for a small business, Subway, and the cost to process CC's, especially AMEX and Discover is ridiculous.  Thats why a lot of small places charge you extra to use a card!

Marc82

Citizens Bank. I switched my bank last summer after 20 years (or so. And I'm only 26) with a local mom & pop bank because the bank is inside Price Chopper and I used to work there and the guy from the bank kept asking me to get an account and one day I finally gave in. And I think they suck.

A few times I got stuck with fees for spending more on my debit card than was in my account. I never went over with my old bank, but they told me that the transaction wouldn't go through if I didn't have enuff to cover it.  I'm thinking of going back to my old mom & pop bank.

C. Fontaine

I've had problems with the same thing at Citizens bank, not because I spent more than I had though.  They sometimes put temporary holds in your account just to make sure you have the money in your account, like any other bank.  But one time a few months ago, they "accidentally" double charged me but retracted it within a day or two so I didn't even realize it happened.  Then I started getting letters in the mail stating I was in the red, I log onto my account online and found I had $250 in overdraft fees.  I'm looking at my statement and I see I start getting overdraft fees right before I'm even negative, and they're all tiny purchases like McDonalds, and the only reason im negative is because of the fees.

So I went down there and sat with a bank manager and reviewed them hoping to get some fees removed.  I pointed out that I was charged OD fees when my account still had over $100 in it.  She looked it up and found they double charged me for a large purchase I made, thus causing my account to go negative, but when the duplicate charge was removed, the fees still stuck and I got whacked with 8 OD fees.  To their credit they fixed it immediately, it was just a huge hassle.

I also hate their online banking system, it's completely useless.  The online account balances are very slow to update, my mom and pop banks transactions update immediately on their site when their card is processed!

NJxxJon

QuoteOriginally posted by C. Fontaine
I've had problems with the same thing at Citizens bank, not because I spent more than I had though.  They sometimes put temporary holds in your account just to make sure you have the money in your account, like any other bank.  But one time a few months ago, they "accidentally" double charged me but retracted it within a day or two so I didn't even realize it happened.  Then I started getting letters in the mail stating I was in the red, I log onto my account online and found I had $250 in overdraft fees.  I'm looking at my statement and I see I start getting overdraft fees right before I'm even negative, and they're all tiny purchases like McDonalds, and the only reason im negative is because of the fees.

So I went down there and sat with a bank manager and reviewed them hoping to get some fees removed.  I pointed out that I was charged OD fees when my account still had over $100 in it.  She looked it up and found they double charged me for a large purchase I made, thus causing my account to go negative, but when the duplicate charge was removed, the fees still stuck and I got whacked with 8 OD fees.  To their credit they fixed it immediately, it was just a huge hassle.

I also hate their online banking system, it's completely useless.  The online account balances are very slow to update, my mom and pop banks transactions update immediately on their site when their card is processed!

I check my crap online all the time as soon as I get home - Especially the gas stations (any one at gas stations is never careful with your card)
JN

Mobil

Citizens Bank has stores inside Acme and Giant. The ones at Acme used to be Mellon PSFS. More recently, Citizens has changed their logo to the same one as the Royal Bank of Scotland, their parent company.

Bank of America has stores at Albertsons, Kroger, and Pathmark.

Randalls in Houston, TX (now owned by Safeway) has Wells Fargo, and some of their stores have a bank called Klein.

Wal-Mart has "Woodforest National Bank".

Marc82

I switched back to Farmington Savings Bank in August after those jerks at Citizen refused to cash my $480 paycheck from Walmart. They told me in order for them to cash it I had to have the money in my account. I told them their bank effing sucks and closed my account. Then I reopened my account at Farmington Savings who had no problem cashing my paycheck whether I had the money in the account or not.  Of course now I have direct deposit so I don't have to worry about cashing my check. I said to the jerk at Citizens Bank, the day Walmart's paychecks start bouncing the entire country is in deep poopie.

Crawford

Reading these posts, I am not surprised to be hearing people having lots of issues with Citizens. I know my mother was constantly having problems with them double charging and screwing around with her small account. Many of my co-workers also complain about how half-***ed Citizens seems to be running things lately.

I do my banking at Navigant which is a local bank (used to be Central Falls Credit Union). Staff are very friendly, no issues at all cashing my check, never any problems with my account. I also maintain another account at Bank of America which bought out Fleet Bank here in Rhode Island. Other than occasional lack of staff resulting in long lines, I've been quite happy here as well.
"Through the millennia, the Time Lords of Gallifrey led a life of ordered calm, protected against all threats from lesser civilisations by their great power. But this was to change. Suddenly, and terribly, the Time Lords faced the most dangerous crisis in their long history..."--the Doctor

MikeRa

I use Citizens Bank for my checking (bee with them since they were Mellon PSFS), and ING Direct for my Savings.  I never had any problems with Citizens Bank or ING Direct.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

arnoldziffel

i go to citibank.  all the 7-11 atm's are citi ones.  so i save a boatload on atm fees.

thedisneystore967

Chevy Chase Bank. They have free coin-counting machines. Thats all I ask!

captjack

Use three credit unions, Firefighters, Cyprus and Beehive. FF for Christmas Fund, Beehive 2nd mortgage  and Cyprus for checking. Debit cards rule, never carry cash money these days. My only  problem is keeping track of balances without wifi connections. Back in the day when the wallet was empty that was the end of any purchases! cheers, jack.
BTW Have family looking for work in California who used to work for Mervyns. Ouch! jh

KmartDanny09

QuoteOriginally posted by Mobil
Citizens Bank has stores inside Acme and Giant. The ones at Acme used to be Mellon PSFS. More recently, Citizens has changed their logo to the same one as the Royal Bank of Scotland, their parent company.

Bank of America has stores at Albertsons, Kroger, and Pathmark.

Randalls in Houston, TX (now owned by Safeway) has Wells Fargo, and some of their stores have a bank called Klein.

Wal-Mart has "Woodforest National Bank".

I just opened an account with Woodforest... I opened it because of the hours (7 days a week) and the location. (inside Wal-Mart). So far, it seems to be nice. I have an interest bearing checking account. It is free as long as my checks are automatically deposited in my account or keep $750 minimum balance. As I am saving for college, I have 90% of my check deposited in my savings account at my credit union and the other 10% deposited in my new checking account.

The only problem is the ATM fees ($2.00 per "foreign bank" use not including the bank that processes the transaction) and the fact that deposits cannot be  done through an ATM... must physically speak with a person.

jmcnamara96

i have St Marys Bank but i mite transfer to TD Bank North.my sisters had citizens and they took money from her account so she has bank of America now.:o

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by jmcnamara96
i have St Marys Bank but i mite transfer to TD Bank North.my sisters had citizens and they took money from her account so she has bank of America now.:o

By the way, TD is rebranding its U.S. retail operations, renaming its Commerce Bank and TD Banknorth outlets TD Bank.  The TD Banknorth banner will remain in New England and upstate NY until the fall of 2009.

St. Mary's was founded on the model of Desjardins Credit Union where i'm right now.

videogamer75

I noticed that there wasn't a topic for these. Talk about and/or post pictures of banks here, such as Bank of America, Citizens, Wachovia, TD, etc.

MikeRa

Well, in the Philadelphia area, excluding New Jersey, Citizens Bank was 2 banks, Commonwealth Bank, and Mellon PSFS.

Mellon PSFS used to be 2 other banks, Philadelphia Saving Fund Soceity (PSFS), and Girard Trust Company (Girard Bank).  Mellon acquired Girard in 1983, and then was givien PSFS by the FDIC in the late 1980's/early 1990's, which led them to rename their Mellon Bank branches and the PSFS branches to Mellon PSFS.

MikeRa

Quote from: MikeRa on November 01, 2008, 10:39:42 PM
I use Citizens Bank for my checking (been with them since they were Mellon PSFS), and ING Direct for my Savings.  I never had any problems with Citizens Bank or ING Direct.
ING Direct is now Capitol One 360

JimSawhill

Who holds my money? I got most of my money at Bank of Tampa, some at Suncoast Federal CU, some at American Eagle Federal CU (East Hartford) and some at Webster.

Hudsons81

The Chase Bank branch inside the Southgate, MI Meijer is closing on March 26 to consolidate with another branch nearby. It opened in 2006 as the second bank to operate a branch in that particular store-originally, this store provided banking via Michigan National Bank (which is now Bank of America after a few mergers).

MikeRa

In Pa, BB&T just completed its purchase Susquehanna Bancshares Inc. on August 3, 2015, and is now buying National Penn Bancshares, Inc.

JimSawhill

My banking: Wells Fargo mostly, in CT I have money in American Eagle FCU (formerly East Hartford Aircraft FCU) and First Niagara (formerly known as New Alliance, Saving Bank of Manchester, and East Hartford First Federal Savings and Loan). My first bank account was at First Federal when I was 6. Business bank was Rockville Bank.
In Florida, Wells Fargo and C1.

jason83080

Originally, I used Fifth Third Bank, because the Finast/Tops near my house had an in-store one that I could hit at odd hours (Friday nights/Saturdays) to put my paycheck in, since we didn't have Direct Deposit at the time. At a later point, I opened a second checking account at KeyBank because I wanted Star Wars checks and decided to try and save some money by putting it in a second bank. After a while, both banks started hitting me with those nice "monthly maintenance fees," so I dumped both and went over to Huntington. Now, with their buyout of FirstMerit *and* being the 'official bank' of the only major grocery store chain in Northeast Ohio (Giant Eagle, and 99% of their stores and GetGo stations have Huntington partnerships - one odd store still has a PNC Bank from the National City days), the branches are EVERYWHERE.