Bonanza / Ponderosa

Started by Zayre88, April 02, 2005, 10:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gu4ever

Outside the restaurant on the ground were some of the Ponderosa letters from it's sign.
The letter D, K and H can be seen here with some of the broken fluorescent light bulbs.
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

gu4ever

The former Shelburne, VT Ponderosa Steakhouse restaurant.

gu4ever

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc82
QuoteOriginally posted by gu4ever
The street sign in Amsterdam, NY.

Anyone else think it's funny there's a cow (albeit a fake one) standing outside a steak house?

I actually thought about the blue ribbon steer from Grand Union when I had spotted the cow standing in the parking lot at Ponderosa.
So maybe if the cow looked like this?

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by gu4ever
The former Shelburne, VT Ponderosa Steakhouse restaurant.

It had a shape similar to the Middletown location.  And years ago there was a Bonanza nearby:

Zayre88

I did a little research on the history of Bonanza, Ponderosa, how these chains were joined together under Metromedia through old articles and I was able to gather these statistics on the chains.  It's really sad to see how many locations they used to have and how few remain.

No wonder so many former Bonanza and former Ponderosa steakhouses are everywhere in the U.S.  It's especially hard for Bonanza which was left behind after the merger with Ponderosa.  Dozen of them closed shortly after 1990 and many more changed to Ponderosa or another concept.  Today only 44 of them remain with 10 being outside the U.S.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
I did a little research on the history of Bonanza, Ponderosa, how these chains were joined together under Metromedia through old articles and I was able to gather these statistics on the chains.  It's really sad to see how many locations they used to have and how few remain.

No wonder so many former Bonanza and former Ponderosa steakhouses are everywhere in the U.S.  It's especially hard for Bonanza which was left behind after the merger with Ponderosa.  Dozen of them closed shortly after 1990 and many more changed to Ponderosa or another concept.  Today only 44 of them remain with 10 being outside the U.S.

why are there fewer left?

gu4ever

I worked for them during the period that Ponderosa fell from 790 down to 700 in 1992 and 1993. Several of the restaurants including my location turned into Market Street Buffet and Bakery.

gu4ever

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife

why are there fewer left?

It's sad that Bonanza is failing in restaurant count. I'm sure with all the steakhouses recently opening out there + buffet restaurants that now offer a cut of steak from the carving station has made Bonanza less appealing.
I have recently eaten at Bonanza in Sanford, ME. The price of the steak was great and it was deliscious, The buffet had a nice selection of salad makings and chicken and pasta on it.
The only negative to this restaurant was it's old and the dining room feels dirty because of that.

Zayre88

From what i've read, in 1989, Bonanza joined the Metromedia Restaurant Group, which acquired Ponderosa in 1988.  The Bonanza store count started to go down after the merger.

Bonanza operators had fears of forced conversions to Ponderosa before the sale.  It seemed that the company's goal was to convert as many stores to Ponderosa as possible according to a Bonanza licensee back then.  It looked like the company wanted to focus on Ponderosa.

Bonanza has dwindled from a pre-acquisition high of 620 units to a census of 325 in 1992. That declining total was attributable to a combination of conversions and shuttered units.

Today, Bonanza is low but Ponderosa is not flying very high.  You have more chances of having a "former Ponderosa" in your town than having an open location.  Most of them opened in the 70's and have been remodeled in the 80's.  The buildings are old, outdated and not appealing compared to chains like LongHorn Steakhouse or Texas Roadhouse for example.

Ponderosa/Bonanza is the Kmart of steakhouses.  They used to be on top, they closed hundreds of locations, their concept needs a big upgrade and competition is easily eating their market share.  They're alive but we don't know why.

That being said, I like Bonanza, but like for Kmart, I would like to see them roll out their new concept to all existing location because they have a good brand.

nims57

From what i've read, in 1989, Bonanza joined the Metromedia Restaurant Group, which acquired Ponderosa in 1988.  The Bonanza store count started to go down after the merger.

Bonanza operators had fears of forced conversions to Ponderosa before the sale.  It seemed that the company's goal was to convert as many stores to Ponderosa as possible according to a Bonanza licensee back then.  It looked like the company wanted to focus on Ponderosa.

Bonanza has dwindled from a pre-acquisition high of 620 units to a census of 325 in 1992. That declining total was attributable to a combination of conversions and shuttered units.

Today, Bonanza is low but Ponderosa is not flying very high.  You have more chances of having a "former Ponderosa" in your town than having an open location.  Most of them opened in the 70's and have been remodeled in the 80's.  The buildings are old, outdated and not appealing compared to chains like LongHorn for example.

Ponderosa/Bonanza is the Kmart of steakhouses.  They used to be on top, they closed hundreds of locations, their concept needs a big upgrade and competition is easily eating their market share.  They're alive but we don't know why.

Than being said, I like Bonanza, but like for Kmart, I would like to see them roll out their new concept to all existing location because they have a good brand.

I am partial to old Sizzler steakhouses. They are similar to classic Pizza Huts. Those buildings may be run down and old, but not outdated. They have a certain 60's charm to them. The better ones have a bar and jukebox!

gu4ever

I got to eat at the brand new PONDEROSA STEAKHOUSE in Williston, VT.

gu4ever

A view of the new Ponderosa Steakhouse sign from the parking lot.

gu4ever

A view of the Ponderosa from the corner of route 2A and the entrance. The large section of windows in this photo are home to the cold salad bar, 2 hot buffets and the dessert bar inside.

Zayre88

Nice to see a modern location in New England.  I guess this one fills the void left by the closed Ponderosa on Shelburne Road for the Burlington area.

Zayre88

It's especially hard for Bonanza which was left behind after the merger with Ponderosa.  Dozen of them closed shortly after 1990 and many more changed to Ponderosa or another concept.

3 examples of Bonanza-shaped Ponderosa buildings.  Locations that probably switched brands during the merger.

gu4ever

On my visit last week to the Emerald Square mall I made it a point to drive 10 mintues south and photograph the Ponderosa Steakhouse location. It was a pretty nice restaurant reminding me a lot of the Oneonta, NY except a little more modern inside.

Zayre88

With some online research, I've found that there once was over 100 Ponderosa Steakhouses in Canada (around 1979).  The number slowly went down to 57, and in 1985, before locations could be remodeled to the "modern design", Red Lobster acquired 36 Ponderosa to convert them at a cost of $700 000 each.  Most were in Ontario, near Toronto, Ottawa and in Montreal Quebec.

Ponderosa then vanished from Canada with maybe 10 locations remaining in the Atlantic Provinces.  Even there, restaurants closed one by one and only one remains today.

Google Street View helped me locate many of these former Ponderosa Steakhouses.  The shape of the buildings is easy to notice with the large chimney on the side, roof shape, square windows and squared-off ranch facade.  Red Lobster locations added side gables, a new exterior finish and a front steeple over the entrances which were moved from left or righ to the center of the buildings:

Marc82

Something might be moving into the old Pondersoa on Queen Street in Southington. It looked like there was a construction permit in the window when I drove by yesterday. I would've gone over to check, but their parking lot hadn't been plowed and I wasn't gonna get my car stuck in the snow just to satisfy the needs of everyone on this forum. Stay tuned.

jmcnamara96

Quote from: gu4ever on November 20, 2009, 01:35:01 PM
A view of the Ponderosa from the corner of route 2A and the entrance. The large section of windows in this photo are home to the cold salad bar, 2 hot buffets and the dessert bar inside.

Wow i think i should head there is that in Vermont? and are the buffets like really a buffet with every thing or just with salad?

gu4ever

Quote from: jmcnamara96 on February 18, 2010, 03:15:23 PM
Quote from: gu4ever on November 20, 2009, 01:35:01 PM

Wow i think i should head there is that in Vermont? and are the buffets like really a buffet with every thing or just with salad?
Yeah that Ponderosa is sweet being so new, it's right off 89 on 2A. They have a large cold salad buffet and also 2 5' hot buffets that look like old cast-iron stoves + a dessert bar.

jmcnamara96

Mmmmmm thats sounds good :)

Marc82

Supposedly a seafood restaurant is gonna open in the old Southington, CT Pondrosa.

Zayre88

Only 4 out of 27 Ponderosa/Bonanza steakhouses are still open in ME/NH/VT....

27 Ponderosa                                                                  West Lebanon        NH

d_fife

Quote from: Zayre88 on May 01, 2010, 03:58:07 PM
Only 4 out of 26 Ponderosa/Bonanza steakhouses are still open in ME/NH/VT....

why that many???

i also hang out at whats in Bonanza's place in Laconia A LOT!

jmcnamara96

Quote from: d_fife on May 01, 2010, 07:16:47 PM

why that many???

Is that place Magaritas? :)

gu4ever

Quote from: jmcnamara96 on May 01, 2010, 07:38:42 PM
Quote from: d_fife on May 01, 2010, 07:16:47 PM

why that many???

Is that place Magaritas? :)
T-bones opened in the old Laconia Bonanza.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Marc82 on March 27, 2010, 01:40:53 AM
Supposedly a seafood restaurant is gonna open in the old Southington, CT Pondrosa.

Seafood and Chops will be opening during this summer. They're putting vinyl siding on the building.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: ynkeesfn82 on May 02, 2010, 09:31:40 PM
Quote from: Marc82 on March 27, 2010, 01:40:53 AM

Seafood and Chops will be opening during this summer. They're putting vinyl siding on the building.

If I can find my camera in my "pig-sty" of an apartment I will snag some pictures next time I'm in Southington. They also finally took down the "Closed. Thanks for the memories" sign off the marquee and replaced it with "Coming Soon Seafood and Chops".

Zayre88

The evolution of Ponderosa concept restaurants:

1) The first "Ranch Style" steak houses
2) Same building modified with modern design
3) The 100% modern buildings (that are quite hard to update today)