Bonanza / Ponderosa

Started by Zayre88, April 02, 2005, 10:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zayre88

There were many Bonanza Steakhouses all around ME & NH a couple years ago.  They were mostly located near shopping malls in thriving commercial areas of that time.  Now many have closed and few are remaining.

I liked this chain back then, the ice cream machine and the metal plates they used ...!:roll:

Discuss !

AmesNewington

When I was a kid, my family went to the Ponderosa in Plainville CT many years ago. We thought they closed all them, but one weekend when we went to the Southington Wal-Mart after our shopping trip to Price Chopper, we saw one on Queen St. We might go there one of these days. They have a salad bar and buffet for reasonable prices.

HoJofan206

We had two Bonanza's and three Ponderosa's in Evansville.
Both Bonanza's went out of business in the early 1990's.  The Ponderosa's made it to about 2002.  All three closed when the local owner retired from the restaurant business.
We still have one Ponderosa across the river in Henderson KY.  I enjoy eating there from time to time.

Zayre88

The restaurant i visit the most is in Augusta ME. It's old but they recently did some improvements.  I would like to see their "New West" concept at old locations and the opening of new steakhouses.  

They have a long steakhouse history and it would be great to see them strong against LongHorn, Outback and Bugaboo Creek steakhouses.

BillyGr

The same parent company that has Bonanza/Ponderosa also owns the Bennigan's and Steak & Ale brands

We had quite a few Ponderosa's in the Albany area, the last one (and one of the two best, it seemed) closed a couple years ago - many had closed several years prior to that.

The only Bonanza I remember seeing was in Pittsfield, MA.

Zayre88

Ponderosa really did a great job changing their restaurant style and concept.  

They went from "old spaceship" to the "new west ranch" buildings !!

tokensafari

We're still stuck with the "old spaceship" buildings. Used to, we had a couple Bonanzas but they went out.

BillyGr

Here the site of the former Bonanza in Pittsfield MA (torn down and replaced by the Tractor Supply Co.) - This is kind of across the road and in back of the Bradlees/Papa Gino's (think this way - the back of Bradlees faces one side of the street, the left  side of this shot is the opposite side of the same street).

Zayre88

Bonanza in Augusta is now closed...  The owner wanted to re-open the restaurant under a new name but decided to close down for good.  Increasing competition appears to be the key factor of the closure.  This leaves only two restaurants in Maine.  There use to be about ten Bonanza in Maine in the past...

amesman

We had a Ponderosa here in Kingston. It closed in 1995 I think, and is now a library.

amesman

Here is a picture of the old Kingston location.

Zayre88

The former Bonanza in Salem NH, now a Ninety-Nine Restaurant.

Zayre88

A former Bonanza in Bangor Maine.  It's now a Laundramat.

d_fife

the bonanza in laconia nh is still there. I wondre what restuarant bonanza is.

Crawford

The Ponderosa in South Attleboro Mass and Swansea Mass are still in business. The one that was in North Providence RI was a 99 then became a Italian place called Mozzerella's. The one in Taunton Mass at last check was some sort of Chinese food place. I recall one across the street from the North Dartmouth Mall but don't know if it is still in business or not.
"Through the millennia, the Time Lords of Gallifrey led a life of ordered calm, protected against all threats from lesser civilisations by their great power. But this was to change. Suddenly, and terribly, the Time Lords faced the most dangerous crisis in their long history..."--the Doctor

d_fife

StarSage

It's been years since I've been back to my old stomping grounds (Elmira, NY) but I seem to recall a Ponderosa off of The Miracle Mile.. there also used to be one in Riverside.

Here in Colorado we have Bonanza.. I went to our location in Thornton (nothern Denver suburb) and I thought the place was nasty! I prefer Stuart Anderson's Black Angus when I go out for steak here

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88

I liked this chain, the ice cream machine and the metal plates they used ...!:roll:  

Here is one of their metal platter !

BillyGr

These are 2 former Ponderosa sites

1st is the one on Western Avenue, just below Crossgates - it sat closed for a bit, then was converted to a restaurant called Fresno's (I think they are local - there is another in Troy right on the water and they also own the Colorado Mine Co. on Central Ave above 155).  They closed this one rather suddenly last year or so and it is now empty again.

2nd is the Wolf Road location - after Ponderosa it was a Weathervane (seafoods) until they suddenly closed this and the East Greenbush ones a couple years back (leaving only the one in Saratoga Springs in NY) - then after a vacancy it was converted to (the first) 99 in the area (maybe in NY also).

amesman

I think Fresnos is a national chain. They had one in Poughkeepsie, that has closed in the past year or so.

BillyGr

QuoteOriginally posted by amesman
I think Fresnos is a national chain. They had one in Poughkeepsie, that has closed in the past year or so.

Just for info - Thought I'd check the site - they are more like a small region chain - the (current) locations are listed below:

SCRANTON AREA:
(Dickson City)
Fresno's Scranton
914 Scranton-Carbondale Highway
Scranton, PA 18508
570-383-9400  

TROY AREA:
Fresno's On The River
377 River Street
Troy, NY 12180
518-687-0737

SYRACUSE AREA:
Fresno's Camillus
4002 W. Genesee St
Syracuse, NY 13219
315-468-5000

Fresno's North Syracuse
3920 Brewerton Road
North Syracuse, NY 13212
315-458-5800  

BINGHAMTON AREA:
Coming Soon

They do, however, still have a dot for Poughkeepsie - apparently haven't edited the map.

I also checked Colorado Mine site (coloradomine.com) and they list just 2 of those - the Colonie one and one in Syracuse.

EDITED - Added a shot of the Colorado Mine Co. on Central Ave. in Colonie.

amesman

They need to update the map..the Poughkeepsie location is now a Houlihans restaurant(only other one I know of is in Crossgates).

Zayre88

The former Ponderosa on Lafayette road in Portsmouth, NH. Located near a recently opened Pizza Hut.

BillyGr

This is the Oneonta location on Route 7/23 in the West End section.  One of the few left in New York state.

amesman

Here is the Herkimer location

d_fife

here is ponderosa in johnson city ny

tomasher

I'm sure there are more, but I can recall a few Ponderosas in my area.

- Roosevelt Boulevard at Red Lion Road, Philadelphia, PA - across from the former Ground Round and Friendly's.  Now a mattress store, I believe.

- Oxford Avenue and Levick Street, Philadelphia, PA - unless I'm halucinating again.  I know there was a Wendy's over there as well, now they've been demolished for the shopping center with the Shop Rite, etc.

- Lenola Road and NJ 38, Maple Shade, NJ - this was the most recent Ponderosa to close in my area, as I recall.  It sits vacant next to a PJ Whelihan's bar and restaurant.  You can still see the booths inside.

My last actual Ponderosa experience was about five years ago at a location outside of Bethlehem, PA.  Let's just say that the food didn't agree with me.

Ames#1171

There was a Ponderosa around the corner from me. We used to go there for dinner sometimes on Sundays.  We were going to go there two weeks ago, and they were closed and there was a sign in the window saying that they had to close that location.  Very Strange!
Ames" border="0

Zayre88

Former Bonanza in Portsmouth NH (now Margaritas), now closed Bonanza in Augusta ME and Bonanza in Laconia NH (still open)

Zayre88

The Augusta location closed because of slow business and increased competition from LongHorn steakhouse located at the other exit of the I-95.  

Christmas Tree Shops and Bed Bath & beyond will soon open across Bonanza and bring hundreds of shoppers in the area!!  There is a pad site available at that shopping center.  They should have moved the restaurant there with their new concept!!  It would have worked since they were able to remain in business in Augusta from the 70's to 2006.