Main Menu

Target

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vwnut13

Quote from: Zayre88 on January 19, 2013, 05:33:39 PM
One more from this site:

http://o.canada.com/2013/01/18/zellers-is-unfriending-canada-on-facebook-for-good-amidst-complaints-about-liquidation-prices

It looks like this store will have Self-Checkouts.  The store also does not have the familiar neons on the walls.  They're replaced by suspended lights.

There aren't many Targets out there with neon anymore is there?

jason83080

I think that the new ones being built are the only ones without the neon lights. I haven't seen much of a concerted effort to make the interior decor setups very uniform across the different stores.

Zayre88

Quote from: retailisking on January 26, 2013, 06:53:53 PM
http://www.startribune.com/business/188354391.html

That's for sure.  A lot of customers are asking questions about pricing on the Target Canada Facebook page.  Many hope to see the U.S. prices...

It's obvious that it won't happen.  The cost of doing business is not the same in Canada, different regulations, higher taxes, higher minimum wages and so on.

Target announced which brands will be in Canadian stores.  It's funny to see up&up and Market Pantry products with French and English on the label!  Page 18 and 26 of this document:

http://centredepresse.target.ca/pr/tgt-fr/document/Target_Media_Booklet_FR_-_FINAL.pdf

Zayre88

24 stores are nearly ready to open in March:

It's interesting to see how Target converted these Zellers stores.  They all had various layouts, sizes and designs.  Below are examples of new Target Canada locations.  They appear to have a revised and downsized U.S. style storefront, without the big glass entrance with high ceiling.

Guelph, Ontario:

http://www.guelphmercury.com/news/local/article/866350--guelph-s-target-store-opening-soon

Hamilton, Ontario:

http://www.cbc.ca/hamilton/news/story/2013/02/05/hamilton-target-ottawa-street.html

Zayre88

Target Canada already has 833,000 Likes on their Facebook page and the stores are not even open.  Meanwhile Walmart Canada has only 589,900 fans.

Meanwhile, Target announced this week that it has reached deals with mall owners to expand 40 of the 125 stores that will open in 2013.  Almost all Canadian stores will be smaller than their U.S. counterparts.

This move by Target Canada will be creating more than 600,000 square feet of retail selling space!

In Quebec City, a store that is already 119,500 sq.ft. will be expanded by an extra 15,000 sq.ft.
In my hometown, the 85,000 sq.ft store can grow into at least 1,800 sq.ft. of adjacent vacant space.

jason83080

Our local Target here in Avon, OH, is remodeling the store to fit in food. As far as I can tell, it's going to be mostly in the front left corner, where Electronics was on the old "neon" store layouts. They've got almost everything moved into the 'uniform' Target look, and the signs posted throughout the store promote only fresh produce, but do the "retail + food" Target stores also have stuff that Walmarts have (bakery, deli/meats, etc), or is this simply going to be "produce + the traditional multiple aisles of mostly non-refrigerated food"? They had grocery aisles in the front by the registers the entire time, so those will likely move to the new "food side" when the renovation gets there. They're not *expanding,* rather they're consolidating the retail portion to fit food in as well.

BillyGr

Quote from: jason83080 on May 05, 2013, 07:09:55 PM
Our local Target here in Avon, OH, is remodeling the store to fit in food. As far as I can tell, it's going to be mostly in the front left corner, where Electronics was on the old "neon" store layouts. They've got almost everything moved into the 'uniform' Target look, and the signs posted throughout the store promote only fresh produce, but do the "retail + food" Target stores also have stuff that Walmarts have (bakery, deli/meats, etc), or is this simply going to be "produce + the traditional multiple aisles of mostly non-refrigerated food"? They had grocery aisles in the front by the registers the entire time, so those will likely move to the new "food side" when the renovation gets there. They're not *expanding,* rather they're consolidating the retail portion to fit food in as well.

Usually a single aisle (although wider than normal) with a small selection of produce, meats and other fresh items, along with an expanded refrigerated and frozen section (a couple aisles at least, plus some on the outside wall) and a larger selection of packaged foods.  No service counters. 
I'm guessing your store entry is on the right side (based on your description of front left corner)?

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Target store (former Zellers), Centrepoint Mall, North York, Ontario, Canada:

jason83080

Quote from: BillyGr on May 05, 2013, 07:44:28 PM

Usually a single aisle (although wider than normal) with a small selection of produce, meats and other fresh items, along with an expanded refrigerated and frozen section (a couple aisles at least, plus some on the outside wall) and a larger selection of packaged foods.  No service counters. 
I'm guessing your store entry is on the right side (based on your description of front left corner)?

I figured on no service counters, considering how everything was shaping up. Also, I got confused. It's "front right corner," not left. The old Guest Services counter is the new home of Starbucks, with the separate 'Cafe' operating where it always has been. Registers 1-4 are now "Guest Services: Returns and Inquiries," which seems like a bizarre step backwards from the secure way that returns used to be handled (walk in through a separate front entrance). You walk in, and the food area is going to be at the far right by the Pharmacy and possibly-still-there-although-I-never-see-it-open Portrait Studio. They renumbered the food aisles (the old automotive/home improvement section) with "G##," and they currently start at 18 and go to 35. There are mobile (temporary?) coolers on the back wall over there, which I'm guessing will be replaced with permanent coolers when the time comes.

Also, their new all-plastic carts are quite neat.

http://www.onmilwaukee.com/market/articles/newtargetcarts.html

EddieJ1984

new? They've had plastic carts for years now.
Oh I see that article was written in 2009, even before then id guess they had plastic carts.

Zayre88

Our local Target is slowly taking shape.  I can't wait to see how they will they roll out their concept in a small 84,800 sq.ft. space...

The mall had available store space alongside the former Zellers (1,800 sq.ft.), yet Target did not take it...

standa

Where in Canada is that store?

Here's a time lapse video of a Canadian Target store materializing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EJ6jq5WJgo

jason83080

Target's food side in the Avon, OH store is officially open, and, I must say, I wasn't that impressed. Maybe it's because it was the first day, but it seemed to be hyped up as being more than what it was. Where's my rotunda of fresh produce? Bananas for 24c each isn't "rotunda of fresh produce." Yes, there's some meat. Yes, there's SOME produce. Beyond that, it looks like the same food selection they HAD, but more of it.

I'll have to check back in a couple of weeks to see if it improves. I'll chalk the first week up to it being the grand opening. If it doesn't get any better, I wonder what the point was in even putting it in.

Zayre88

Quote from: standa on June 02, 2013, 07:55:24 AM
Where in Canada is that store?

St.Georges, Quebec.  Here is that store as of July 2013:

Zayre88

Store is almost ready, Starbucks is ready and a lot of fixtures are up inside the store already.

Note the french slogan.  In Quebec there is a Language Law to protect French and when a company has an English name, they can use it when it's a trademark but they must use one of these four options:

-Translate their name
-Use both the original English name and the translated name
-Add a French description
-Add a French slogan

Frankly I think this is all useless but Target did it right to be a good neighbor in this new country.

ynkeesfn82

According to information I found Target will be opening in King of Prussia, Pennsylvania sometime in 2014. It will be located on West Dekalb Pike in a plaza near Acme. It looks like there is a Bed, Bath Beyond and a Michael's in this plaza where Target is going. That's a change of plans for them. I know several years ago they were looking to build at the King of Prussia Mall, but I think that was before Walmart opened a SuperCenter near the mall.

Zayre88

Inside the new Target store:

Zayre88

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

Does anybody know or have list of the number of Super Target Stores that exist here in the U.S.A as well as where they are all located? My aunt and uncle have a local Super Target Store near them where they live in the state of Florida and it has made me curious to be able to go to and visit a Super Target Store.

Quote from: Kmart Is Forever! on August 15, 2013, 08:39:52 PM
Does anybody know or have list of the number of Super Target Stores that exist here in the U.S.A as well as where they are all located? My aunt and uncle have a local Super Target Store near them where they live in the state of Florida and it has made me curious to be able to go to and visit a Super Target Store.
There are 218 Super Target stores. The majority of them are in Texas and Florida.

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

Quote from: ShopKoFan on August 15, 2013, 11:11:34 PM
There are 218 Super Target stores. The majority of them are in Texas and Florida.
Are there any that you know of in the state of Ohio?

Quote from: Kmart Is Forever! on August 15, 2013, 11:57:36 PM
Quote from: ShopKoFan on August 15, 2013, 11:11:34 PM
Are there any that you know of in the state of Ohio?
http://www.target.com/store-locator/state-result?stateCode=OH

retailisking

Zayre88

Quote from: retailisking on August 20, 2013, 03:48:29 PM
Target is apparently having teething troubles in Canada
http://blogs.wsj.com/canadarealtime/2013/08/19/target-hasnt-won-over-canadian-shoppers-poll-shows/

Judging by the Facebook comments, people have these complaints:

-Target is higher priced than Walmart
-Target is higher priced than in the US
-There are empty shelves since the first openings in March
-Not enough plus size clothing
-Target does not sell yarn
-Target does not have all the same products and exclusive lines as in the US
-It's taking too long to open all stores
-It's just a renovated Zellers

Some say the stores smell funny or that there is too much red, lighting is too bright, mall entrances are poorly located, they should put on music in the stores, or that Zellers is missed and was better...   ???

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

Quote from: Zayre88 on August 20, 2013, 04:31:57 PM
Quote from: retailisking on August 20, 2013, 03:48:29 PM
Target is apparently having teething troubles in Canada
http://blogs.wsj.com/canadarealtime/2013/08/19/target-hasnt-won-over-canadian-shoppers-poll-shows/

Judging by the Facebook comments, people have these complaints:

-Target is higher priced than in the US

It only makes sense that Target's prices are higher in their Canadian Stores than here in their American stores. Remember that The Canadian $Dollar is worth less than The American $Dollar which results in everything being higher priced in Canada no matter what store or retailer that you shop in up in Canada.

Zayre88

Just look at gas prices and retail wages in Canada, they are higher and so are taxes, social costs and so on.

Canada's population is smaller than California but scattered in a country bigger than the United States.  Distribution will be expensive.

There's also translating costs for the province of Quebec.  Target has to have their systems operating in two languages and must translate every ad, document, flyer, signs and more throughout the company.

Zayre88

Target Canada will open their first Quebec stores on September 17th, more on October 19th.

I can't wait to see if the Target concept does not get lots in translation.

retailisking

Quote from: Zayre88 on September 06, 2013, 04:15:35 PM
Target Canada will open their first Quebec stores on September 17th, more on October 19th.

Yes, but will there be stuff to buy in them?  ;D