Main Menu

Walmart

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retail Regents

The ancient Wal-Mart in Greece, NY has seen some updates. Entire front end got new registers, including a self-checkout bullpen and belted self-checkout units. Most of Pickup has finally been sealed off with a new seating area. Security gates were additionally installed.

Meanwhile in the middle electronics section, it was updated to "Electronics of the Future (EOTF)", in which the photo counter and the music/movies section were switched out (with music hanging outside the section in the tile border-laced actionway), and consumer electronics (i.e. mobile phones/computers) were moved forward. Still semi-enclosed like it was before and the ceiling fan above the original photo center is still up.

Other than that, the store still is very much its ancient self.

Moline

Quote from: ShopKoFan on October 08, 2014, 04:12:12 PM
There are other Walmart locations with liquor stores, including DePere, Wisconsin for example. That's the closest Walmart store to me that has its own liquor store.

The Walmart in either Jane, Missouri or Noel, Missouri is the closest one to me with a separate liquor store. All the Walmart's between Fayetteville, Springdale, Rogers, Bentonville, and Siloam Springs, all in Arkansas do not have the separate liquor stores, though the Sam's Club in Fayetteville does, and is amazing in terms of alcohol, and also of the fact that you don't need a Sam's Club membership to enter this part of the store nor do you need it to buy anything. Anyone else have a Sam's Club like that?

shore72

I haven't been to Sam's Club in years; we used to visit the BJ's in Millsboro, DE and they have their liquor store set up the same way. I'm guessing there must be some state law behind it.

Moline

Quote from: shore72 on March 22, 2020, 09:17:13 PM
I haven't been to Sam's Club in years; we used to visit the BJ's in Millsboro, DE and they have their liquor store set up the same way. I'm guessing there must be some state law behind it.

Here in Arkansas, I do not believe so. As I mentioned, the Walmart's are not this way. I will say, the Walmart in Moline, Illinois was similar to the Sam's in terms of the liquor store, BUT, it was setup inside the store similar to their front-end alcove shops (Smart Style, Bank, Fast Food), but in the back. This was due to, I'm fairly certain a state-law that Illinois had for a time in which Alcohol could not be sold in stores and had to be separate. Because of this, Walgreens could not sell liquor period. Once this was repealed, they quickly brought it back. Not sure if the Moline Walmart still has the liquor store that way or not as the last time I was there at the store since moving to Arkansas was in Cjristmas 2017 with my grandparents (My brother had to work the front-desk at a dorm in Iowa City until 8 PM, so my parents were there waiting for him to get done, and my grandparents took me out for some bowling, and then a quick errand at that aforementioned Walmart, which was literally right across the street). We had to get milk and laundry soap, which is in the back of the store, but I did not pay attention to see if it was still like that or not. Fayetteville's supercenter on MLK is not. If anyone else's mid-1990's Walmart Supercenter (the ones with the trapezoids on both entrances) had a liquor store similar to the one I described above, please do mention.

Moline

Here is the old pre-supercenter Walmart in Davenport, Iowa, in 2019. They have long since abandoned this building for a Supercenter down the road built about early-mid 2000's. This used to be a Monkey Joe's party rental place. That has since closed, and the building has a brown look similar to the one Walmart used to use, and graffiti on the doors.

"Walmart Davenport 2019"

Here is the Walmart Supercenter in Moline, Illinois in 2011. Note the old star logo and the Always signs above the entryways.

"Walmart Moline 2011"

Walmart Moline 2019. They are currently remodeling it into the industrial grey package and doing away with project impact.

"Walmart Moline 2019"  

Walmart Supercenter 2013, Silvis, Illinois.

"Walmart Silvis 2013"

Walmart Silvis 2019. This store too is slated for a remodel, probably when Moline is done with theirs (smart idea, especially if some of the shoppers go to Silvis for the time being due to the remodel)

"Walmart Silvis 2019"

Walmart Supercenter 2013, Fayetteville, Arkansas.

"Walmart Fayetteville 2013"  

Walmart Fayetteville 2018. This was remodeled in 2018, though it had the industrial grey paint scheme before shedding project impact, which I thought was weird.

"Walmart Fayetteville 2018"  

Courtesy of Google Maps.

Moline

Quote from: store215 on June 30, 2008, 06:37:51 PM
New Wal-Mart logo being introduced this fall (here is an artists rendition).
While it does look more modern, I think it looks really generic, not to mention the millions of dollars they are going to have to spend changing signs around (including a supercenter near me that opened only a month ago!)

Actually, if you watch this Walmart commercial from November of 2007, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXSwFEXRTCM , you'll see it has the then new logo alongside the then current one. It shows up at the beginning, and is just simply a spark. No Walmart before it.

Moline

This is the very first Walmart Supercenter built. This was originally a Hypermart USA store, which was the predecessor to the supercenter branding. This store was converted to the supercenter brand in the 2000's I believe, and is still operating in Topeka, Kansas alongside a store in Arlington, Texas. Stores of this style were built from 1987-1990

"Walmart supercenter 1"

This is the first Walmart to carry the supercenter branding from opening, and the second iteration. This supercenter in Farmington, Missouri still operates alongside a store in Poplar Bluff, Missouri. The first one in Washington, Missouri appears to be a heavily gutted J.C. Penny. Stores of this style were built from 1988-1992.

"Walmart supercenter 2"

This is the first widely used supercenter format, built from 1993-1998, and is the third iteration. You can find many stores with this style in many states.

"Walmart supercenter 3"

This is the 4th iteration, built from late 1998-early 1999-2005 or 2006. This featured some changes from the third iteration, such as Deli and Chicken being in the front alongside bakery.

"Walmart supercenter 4"

The 5th iteration was built from 2006-2009, and is the last supercenter to be built with the old Wal*Mart logo and Always branding above the entrances.

"Walmart supercenter 5"

This is the 6th iteration, and the first to come with the new logo and project impact from the get-go. Stores of this style were built from 2009-?.

"Walmart supercenter 6"

Moline

I was just at the weirdest Walmart today. This is the second Walmart in Fayetteville.

On the outside, it looks exactly like this, and was apparently built in the 1990's.
"Walmart Fayetteville 2018"

On the inside, however, is where things get interesting. The inside of this store is more akin to these types of Walmart's built from 1999-2005.
"Walmart supercenter 4"

When you enter the store, the little hallway you go through before entering the store itself does not have the diamond shape that is off to the right and left (it's the spot that has the claw machines, etc). It is instead a rectangle shape, sort of something you might expect in a mid-1990's expanded to supercenter early 1980's Walmart stores (We have one of those in Rogers. This is store number 1). Once you enter the physical store, you'll notice in the lower hanging non-industrial ceiling above the cart alcove has the covered rectangular lights instead of the thinner strip lighting like what hangs in most Walmart's.

Getting beyond the carts, the lighting is the strip lighting one would expect to see in many Walmart's today. While the outside has the industrial grey package like the other Fayetteville store, the inside still has the project impact decor. Another thing is that this Walmart is laid out exactly like the Walmart stores in Davenport, Iowa. It even has the seamless garden center transition in which you can see almost the entire garden center from the grocery side (that is, there is no wall with a door sized outcropping).

So, to sum this up. This Walmart looks like the mid-1990's Walmart's, but on the inside looks like the ones built from 1999-2005. Very weird. If you guys want to see the Google Maps pictures of this store, just type in Walmart Supercenter Mall Avenue.

Everything Community

Manchester, CT in early 2022 (opened on New Year's Day in 1993 as Connecticut's first Walmart store); expanded to a supercenter in early 2014. Has a Dunkin' station on the inside

Everything Community

Five stores are expected to close permanently by May 20th of this year due to poor financial performance. One of those stores closing is the Walmart discount store in Guilford, CT.
https://www.yahoo.com/video/walmart-closing-stores-permanently-may-214835172.html
Article of the Guilford, CT store closure:
https://patch.com/connecticut/guilford/guilford-walmart-closing-says-state-rep-sean-scanlon

Retail Regents

Walmart #2152 in Albany is getting updates. Tile has been removed in favor of concrete, flooring in the entryway has been changed to rubber, and the escalators have been removed. Also they got rid of all the Unarco shopping carts in favor of additional Wanzl 6240s. Still has the late-stage Cheap Impact signage inside.

TheFugitive

Walmart with escalators?  Interesting!

Retail Regents

Quote from: TheFugitive on May 06, 2022, 10:15:54 AMWalmart with escalators?  Interesting!

Who doesn't know about that store? It's the biggest store outside of China!

BillyGr

Quote from: Retail Regents on May 05, 2022, 05:06:04 PMWalmart #2152 in Albany is getting updates. Tile has been removed in favor of concrete, flooring in the entryway has been changed to rubber, and the escalators have been removed. Also they got rid of all the Unarco shopping carts in favor of additional Wanzl 6240s. Still has the late-stage Cheap Impact signage inside.

Seems odd to get rid of those, given that the store is split over 2 floors.  They do have elevators as well, but that isn't going to work as well for a large number of people...

Retail Regents

Quote from: BillyGr on May 07, 2022, 05:36:18 PM
Quote from: Retail Regents on May 05, 2022, 05:06:04 PMWalmart #2152 in Albany is getting updates. Tile has been removed in favor of concrete, flooring in the entryway has been changed to rubber, and the escalators have been removed. Also they got rid of all the Unarco shopping carts in favor of additional Wanzl 6240s. Still has the late-stage Cheap Impact signage inside.

Seems odd to get rid of those, given that the store is split over 2 floors.  They do have elevators as well, but that isn't going to work as well for a large number of people...

I believe they're replacing them with new escalators. The ones that were removed I believe were the original ones from when the store was expanded in 2008.

BillyGr

Quote from: Retail Regents on May 07, 2022, 07:18:20 PM
Quote from: BillyGr on May 07, 2022, 05:36:18 PM

I believe they're replacing them with new escalators. The ones that were removed I believe were the original ones from when the store was expanded in 2008.

Makes sense - I knew someone had said that they were not there towards the end of March, so when you said that now I thought maybe they were permanently gone. 

Seems that such a replacement shouldn't take too long, but maybe these are more difficult with the cart ones attached as well as a regular human one.

Retail Regents

This store also got the black border around apparel. I wonder if this store will ever get the new Airport-style decor package? Never seen it anywhere here in Upstate NY.

Everything Community

That pair was spotted at the Goodwill Thrift Store in Manchester, CT on Wednesday. I had never even heard of that product hence never even thought that sandals or other footwear that carried the Walmart lettering were sold.

You cannot see attachments on this board.Kudos to my oldest brother for finding it the other day. I give him credit! 

TheFugitive

Quote from: Retail Regents on May 06, 2022, 07:34:57 PM
Quote from: TheFugitive on May 06, 2022, 10:15:54 AMWalmart with escalators?  Interesting!

I have never been to Albany.  If it's bigger than our local Super Walmart in
West Mifflin that is really something.

Retail Regents

Quote from: TheFugitive on June 09, 2022, 02:42:48 PM
Quote from: Retail Regents on May 06, 2022, 07:34:57 PM

I have never been to Albany.  If it's bigger than our local Super Walmart in
West Mifflin that is really something.

The store is 260,000 sq.ft. It was originally half that before they expanded into the former Sam's Club below the original store.

Everything Community

The Hartford, CT location received the most up-to-date interior package I've ever witnessed. That location was remodeled very recently to better reflect the future of Walmart stores.

I personally think it is a really nice store on the inside based on recent interior remodel.

That location was originally built as a discount store format of Walmart in 2004 and was upgraded to Supercenter about ten or so years ago. When I went to that location in 2019-20, the exterior building (brown) looked ugly for me but then it was repainted blue and gray in recent years. This remodel is way better than other exterior remodels over the years.

You cannot see attachments on this board.

Retail Regents

The city must have strict aesthetic building codes given how bizarre it looks with the flat main facade and curved entrance facades. Kind of resembles how the Troy, NY location was expanded, only this one's facade is not flush with the roofline.

TheFugitive

I was recently in a Walmart in Missouri that had this package.  A little dark for my tastes, but not bad.

Everything Community

Old Wal★Mart Cart Corral signs spotted outside of the Supercenter location in Boynton Beach, FL

TheFugitive

Walmart is bailing out of Portland, Oregon, apparently concluding that shoplifting and other retail crime there is out of control.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/other/portland-oregon-s-last-two-walmarts-closing-as-companies-see-shoplifting-surges/ar-AA18hYTc

TheFugitive

Walmart has announced that they are closing all of their locations in the City of Chicago.  They are claiming that the stores have never been profitable.

https://tinyurl.com/bp8mjxzd

This is somewhat ironic in that two decades ago local government, unions and other civic groups really didn't want Walmart in Chicago and they fought a losing battle to try and keep them out.

My only personal frame of reference on this is that when I was working for Ames 32 years ago and we bought Zayre the Zayre locations within Chicago were all running horrendous shrink numbers.

TheFugitive