Main Menu

Magic Mart

Started by wiseguy93, July 04, 2008, 01:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wiseguy93

This Magic Mart is located at 330 North Main Street. Originally built in 1981, and remodeled in 1996

wiseguy93

This Magic Mart is located at 791 Elk Avenue. At this time it's the only Magic Mart in the state of Tennessee. They opened up here about 4 years ago. This was the first Wal Mart building that Magic Mart opened up.

XDeSuEhTX

Hey, we have a Magic Mart in my area too. Did you take all of these pics of them yourself? I have heard that they are still expanding little by little.

I really need to get some pics of mine, which was a former Hills and Ames location.
"Ancient malls, overgrown like Roman ruins without the class, our generation will be remembered for our greatest works, our trinkets at Spencer Gifts"

XDeSuEhTX

Here's a video of a couple of kids goofing around in Magic Mart...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ssCWQeLP1pI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ssCWQeLP1pI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
"Ancient malls, overgrown like Roman ruins without the class, our generation will be remembered for our greatest works, our trinkets at Spencer Gifts"

wwefan101

XDeSuEhTX

Once again forgot to take my camera with me.

But I got some pics of their bags.

wiseguy93

Article from The Harlan Daily Harlan, Kentucky

Magic Mart closes after 18 years

The Harlan Magic Mart, located in the Village Center Mall, officially closed its doors on Tuesday afternoon after 18 years of business.

According to a press release by parent company Ammar's Inc., the store will be relocating to Salisbury, N.C.

"We have been offered the opportunity to move the contents of the Harlan Magic Mart to another facility, which is over two times the size of our current location ... It is increasingly difficult to service today's customer in the limited space we have in Harlan. We have been looking for opportunities in a larger building that would allow us to offer a far greater variety and selection to the Magic Mart customer," said Richard Ammar, company President.

Although the press release did not specify the new location, Harlan store manager Roger Thompson said that the inventory is being moved to Salisbury, N.C.

Thompson also elaborated on other reasons for the closing.

"The economy in Harlan is suffering and we are not having a good business year. We have had shrinkage because of shoplifting," Thompson said.

The closing came as a surprise to the store's 33 hourly employees and four managers, who, according to Thompson, were notified Tuesday.

"Everyone was shocked. I was stunned when I heard the news," Thompson said.

Hourly employees have been offered the chance to transfer to the Magic Mart in Hazard or Norton, Va., and managers have been offered positions in the new Salisbury facility.

Thompson said that many employees plan to remain in Harlan and find other work, though.

"A lot of good people work here and it would be to any company's benefit to hire them, both professionally and personally," Thompson said.

Presently, employees are in the process of packing and moving the inventory. The store will reopen briefly next week so that all remaining stock can be liquidated at a discount.

Many long time customers of the Harlan Magic Mart were distraught when they heard the announcement.

"When I found out, I cried. I buy everything from (Magic Mart). This store means a lot to me," said Harlan resident Mary Lynne Lewis.

wiseguy93

This Magic Mart has been located in Grundy for at least 40 yrs.

wiseguy93

Welch, West Virginia

wiseguy93

Oceana, West Virginia

wiseguy93

Danville, West Virginia

wiseguy93

Beckley, West Virginia

Parrot32X

This is the Magic Mart in the Lothair section of Hazard, KY on East Main Street. This store was the first of its kind in town, long before even Wal-Mart or Kmart even thought of opening a store here. Needless to say, it still gets decent buisness. Here's a view of the store:

<iframe width="425" height="240" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps/sv?cbp=12,354.82,,0,4.8&amp;cbll=37.243475,-83.179427&amp;panoid=&amp;v=1&amp;hl=en&amp;gl=us"></iframe>
<small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;source=embed&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=37.242492,-83.181095&amp;spn=0,359.990344&amp;t=h&amp;z=17&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=37.243475,-83.179427&amp;panoid=I18Qyp0aKqkwvpmum5Zx8A&amp;cbp=12,354.82,,0,4.8" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

XDeSuEhTX

Found this news article from a month ago, looks like a new store is opening this fall.

"Magic Mart to move into Teays Valley shopping center"

By The Associated Press

TEAYS VALLEY, W.Va. -- A Virginia-based department store will open a new location in Teays Valley later this year.

Magic Mart will open a store in the former Ames building in the Liberty Square Shopping Center at the intersection of Interstate 64 and W.Va. 34 in Putnam County.

The department store is scheduled to open the 95,000-square-foot location in November. The store will sell clothing, food, electronics, toys, sporting goods, hardware and furniture.

Magic Mart already has eight locations in West Virginia, as well as stores in Virginia, Kentucky, North Carolina and Tennessee."

wiseguy93

This is the old location of Magic Mart in the South Williamson kentucky area. It's actually located in the area of Belfry Ky. The store moved up the road about 3 miles, to the old Kmart location at the Southside Mall on top of the hill. To a really nicer location. The building was bought by the Appalachian Regional Heathcare services which own hopsital in Kentucky, and West virginia. It now a medical mall.

wiseguy93

located at 300 Liberty Sq in a former Ames buidling in Hurricane, WV‎ in the TEAYS VALLEY area

XDeSuEhTX

Another store just opened up.

"Magic Mart opens for business
by Paul Teague

Local shoppers filled the parking lot and lined up at cash registers Monday as discount retailer Magic Mart opened its doors in Lenoir.

Magic Mart, a regional department store operating at 21 other locations in five states, has leased the space formerly occupied by Walmart and Carolina Pottery from Cary-based GFD Management, Inc. and is the newest tenant of the North Hill Plaza shopping center along the U.S. 321 corridor in Lenoir.

Following Walmart’s construction of a larger store adjacent to its former location, Carolina Pottery occupied 75,000 of the available 120,000 square feet of the building. Magic Mart is leasing and using the entire amount of available space for its business.

The retail store offers national brand products at affordable prices. Apparel, footwear, accessories, health and beauty aids, home furnishings, auto care, lawn and garden items, electronics, sporting goods, hardware, furniture, housewares, tuxedo rentals, small appliances, toys, knives, jewelry and class rings are among the numerous offerings provided by Magic Mart.

According to the Web site, www.magicmartstores.com, “quality merchandise, national brands low prices and friendly staff” are among the perks offered by Magic Mart.

The store offers layaway services, special orders, furniture delivery (not available in all stores), gift cards and repair services. The store even will custom mix paints at no extra charge.

Managers said they were pleased with the foot traffic, especially since an official grand opening is not scheduled until the end of July.

“This is actually more than we had thought,” Magic Mart Regional Manager Johnny Aliff said. “We hadn’t really done any advertising, but we decided to open the doors and people came.”

Aliff said the company has hired 85 hourly employees and will have four full-time managers. He noted that the company had been looking to expand in the North Carolina market, following the success of its Salisbury location.

“We think this will be a good fit for Lenoir,” Aliff said. “The work ethic of the people that we have interviewed has been the best I have seen. I think we’ll have something for the people of Lenoir.”

In occupying the former Walmart space, Aliff believes Magic Mart’s selection of name-brand clothing “will set us apart from our competitors next door.” He also touted the store’s selection of Oriental and large-size rugs, along with upholstered furniture.

Magic Mart started as Ammar Brothers in Williamson, W.Va., in 1920 when three brothers immigrated from a small village on the slopes of Mt. Hermon, approximately 20 miles northeast of the Sea of Galilee on Syria. They began their new lives in America as pack peddlers, carrying their wares. They walked from Alabama to Michigan and back several times during each year.

K.A. Ammar bought a store in Williamson, W.Va., and additional stores followed. In 1967, the Ammars opened the first Magic Mart. The stores grew, and the older Ammar Brothers sites were shut down.

In 1991, Magic Mart expanded its store in Oceana, W.Va., and by 2003, Magic Mart found itself in cities with populations for 10,000-35,000. The first mid-market-sized store opened in Beckley, W.Va., in 2003, followed by the Salisbury location.

Two years later, Elizabethton, Tenn., became the site of a store in an even larger community, and since then, several other Magic Mart locations have been started."