Kroger

Started by tokensafari, January 06, 2005, 07:18:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

Quote from: jason83080 on February 07, 2012, 10:09:58 PM
If Ahold buys Kroger, it'd be a slap in the face to Finast. IIRC, Ahold pulled out of Ohio because they couldn't compete with Giant Eagle. If they want to try again, I can think of a few old Tops stores that are STILL vacant since the closures, and one that briefly became a Giant Eagle before closing again. Heck, there's an Apples (very local chain - only 4 locations) that took over one of the vacated Tops that uses 99% of the old signage, right down to the diamond-shaped aisle markers, but with "apples" stickers put on them.
There is one old Tops Friendly Markets location in the city of Akron that is no longer going to be available. This location is in a very big plaza on Waterloo Road. The plaza also happens to have a Marc's Deep Discounts Store which is a local grocery store supermarket chain. Marc's current location in this plaza is too small to meet the needs of their customers at this location, while at the same time, the business at this Marc's location keeps increasing. Due to heavy sales and the store not being big enough, Marc's is going to be moving into the original location in the plaza that used to be Tops Friendly Markets. Marc's will still be in the exact same plaza, but at the same time in the former Tops Friendly Markets space.

jason83080

Quote from: IGA/Kmart Is Forever! on October 24, 2012, 03:30:29 PM
Quote from: BillyGr on September 15, 2012, 07:07:51 PM
Here are 4 that I found (had a list as we were out that way, though not these particular areas - had made the list not being sure where we'd wind up being):

Apples - 1051 Meister Road     Lorain
Apples - 230 North Abbe Road   Elyria
Apples - 400 Sheffield Center   Sheffield
Apples - 4100 Ivanhoe Avenue   Sheffield Lake

Thank you very much for providing me with this information BillyGr. I really appreciate it. Back when I was a teenager, I loved Apples Supermarkets. When they sold all of their locations in my area to Giant Eagle back in 1999/2000, I thought that they sold every single location it was that they had. Very happy to find out that I was wrong!

Yep, those are the four. Meister Road used to be a Stop-n-Shop, then was a Giant Eagle, prior to becoming an Apples. The same holds true for Ivanhoe in Sheffield Lake. Sheffield Center used to be a Tops, and Apples simply moved in, put some food on the shelves, wrote "apples" on the Tops aisle markers, and opened back up. The only original Apples store is the one in Elyria.

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

Quote from: jason83080 on December 23, 2012, 10:16:18 PM
Quote from: IGA/Kmart Is Forever! on October 24, 2012, 03:30:29 PM
Quote from: BillyGr on September 15, 2012, 07:07:51 PM
Here are 4 that I found (had a list as we were out that way, though not these particular areas - had made the list not being sure where we'd wind up being):

Apples - 1051 Meister Road     Lorain
Apples - 230 North Abbe Road   Elyria
Apples - 400 Sheffield Center   Sheffield
Apples - 4100 Ivanhoe Avenue   Sheffield Lake

Thank you very much for providing me with this information BillyGr. I really appreciate it. Back when I was a teenager, I loved Apples Supermarkets. When they sold all of their locations in my area to Giant Eagle back in 1999/2000, I thought that they sold every single location it was that they had. Very happy to find out that I was wrong!

Yep, those are the four. Meister Road used to be a Stop-n-Shop, then was a Giant Eagle, prior to becoming an Apples. The same holds true for Ivanhoe in Sheffield Lake. Sheffield Center used to be a Tops, and Apples simply moved in, put some food on the shelves, wrote "apples" on the Tops aisle markers, and opened back up. The only original Apples store is the one in Elyria.

What happened to the Meister Road and Ivanhoe Giant Eagle stores after they bought out Stop-n-Shop?

Also, when you say the original Apples Supermarket location is in Elyria, when exactly did this location open? Did it open after they sold all of their locations to Giant Eagle in 1999/2000 and decided to start their business again afterwards or did this location originally open way back in the 1970's/80's and was one of the locations that they decided not to sell to Giant Eagle back in 1999/2000?

jason83080

Lorain's and Sheffield Lake's Giant Eagles were smaller stores. They were 'transformed' into a hybrid "Rini-Rego/Sparkle" store (which, pretty much, consisted of keeping the existing signage, but putting "Rini-Rego/Sparkle" on everything in place of Giant Eagle. I can't really speak for Lorain's location, since I never get out that way, but ours in SL went BACK to being a Giant Eagle after the failed RR/S experiment was shelved. In November '10, their lease was up, so they closed up shop and vacated, since there were other nearby locations that were much nicer/larger/more heavily trafficked...

- Sheffield Village, Sheffield Crossing plaza - a newer store, built in either 1997 or 1998, vacating the old Kroger across the street (now Discount Drug Mart)
- Elyria, Midway Market Square plaza - a newer store, built after the Giant Eagle takeover, vacating the old Kroger in Midway Mall (now Staples and the old Bennigan's/parking area, which is now Ground Round)
- Avon Lake, Learwood Square plaza - unsure of its history; it's always been at that location since I moved out here in 1996, but it IS a larger store, which is open 24 hours
- Westlake, Promenade/Crocker Park plaza - It was, originally, a VERY fancy Rini-Rego Marketplace store, which was transformed into a Giant Eagle upon the merger. It had the video store - which was closed and absorbed into the regular store floor - and even expanded into the vacated CVS/pharmacy space next door when that store moved to its own building nearby. That side of the store's a hot mess, but it'll get evened out someday!

JimSawhill

According to reports here in Florida (Tampa Bay region), Kroger is looking at some Sweetbay locations that are closing!! If I get more info, I'll post it!!

retailisking

Can you cite the source of these reports?

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

Quote from: JimSawhill on January 19, 2013, 12:59:42 PM
According to reports here in Florida (Tampa Bay region), Kroger is looking at some Sweetbay locations that are closing!! If I get more info, I'll post it!!

I've never heard of Sweetbay. Are they a grocery store at all or some kind of seafood store?

retailisking

Sweetbay is/was Delhaize's attempt to turn around the struggling Kash n' Karry banner by moving it upscale. It hasn't been terribly successful, as evidenced by their decision to close one-third of their stores. There is speculation that the entire chain could eventually be shuttered. I don't know if Kroger would be interested, really, as they generally don't like turnaround situations like this. Entering a state as saturated with supermarkets like Florida (which has 760 Publix stores) isn't for the meek.

JimSawhill

Quote from: retailisking on January 19, 2013, 01:21:34 PM
Can you cite the source of these reports?

I read it in the Tampa Bay Times or the Tampa Tribune. Kroger has some stores in Florida on the eastern part.

retailisking

Sweetbay's closure (and likely eventual demise) could also be an opportunity for Albertsons to rebuild their store base. BTW, can you pinpoint to me where Kroger is in Florida? They don't show on Kroger's official map:

http://www.thekrogerco.com/about-kroger/operations/locations

nysw3636

Quote from: retailisking on January 24, 2013, 10:00:53 PM
Sweetbay's closure (and likely eventual demise) could also be an opportunity for Albertsons to rebuild their store base. BTW, can you pinpoint to me where Kroger is in Florida? They don't show on Kroger's official map:

http://www.thekrogerco.com/about-kroger/operations/locations

I believe Kroger's only presence in Florida is Tom Thumb and Littman Jewelers, a non-grocery subsidiary. Closest stores to Florida are in Georgia? I could be wrong...

retailisking

Kroger has 171 full-line supermarkets in Georgia; their concentration of Tom Thumb convenience stores in Florida is in the Panhandle.

JimSawhill

Quote from: IGA/Kmart Is Forever! on January 19, 2013, 05:08:00 PM
Quote from: JimSawhill on January 19, 2013, 12:59:42 PM

I've never heard of Sweetbay. Are they a grocery store at all or some kind of seafood store?

Sweetbay is a local chain that is run (or mismanaged?) by Delhaize. Better prices than Publix and Winn-dixie (and I can get Friendlys Ice Cream and Polar beverage from it), but needs someone who'd manage it better. Not a Knock on Hannaford, I heard from a friend in Maine Hannaford is not the same since Delhaize bought them.

Ameskid

(You know this board is full of East Coasters when Kroger hasn't been talked about for two years!)

A sharp contrast between old and new in Covington, KY in 1981. The greenhouse-style store shown in the background is still operating; the smaller one in the front is gone. Picture courtesy of the Kenton County Public Library.

Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

TheFugitive

We had Kroger's here in Pittsburgh when I was growing up.  Shopped there often as
that was the closest supermarket to our home.  They bailed out in 1985 after local unions had gone on strike against them.  (similar union militantcy had driven many prior chains such as Thorofare, Loblaws and A&P out of Pittsburgh)

The Shop n' Save store on Noblestown Road is clearly identifiable from the outside
as a former Kroger's.  The Kuhn's Supermarket on Banksville Road was as well until
a recent remodel.

Kind of nostalgic for me now to visit my daughter in Toledo and go shopping
at Kroger's.

Hudsons81

A news article on the opening of a new Kroger at Ford Avenue and Fort Street in Wyandotte, Michigan in 1957. It was later replaced by a greenhouse-style store in neighboring Southgate on Eureka Road. This building later became Arbor Drugs and, currently, CVS. The Southgate greenhouse store later became Foodland and today is Big Lots. Picture courtesy of the Downriver Things Flickr page.

Hudsons81

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/2015/05/01/kroger-buy-hillers-supermarkets-close/26697731/
Quote from: the above linkKroger to buy 7 Hiller's supermarkets, close 1

Kroger of Michigan has reached an agreement to buy all seven Hiller's Market locations in southeastern Michigan in a deal that will close a Commerce Township location in July but keep the remaining stores open.

"They're going to operate six of the seven stores," Hiller's vice president Justin Hiller said. "The only store they will not operate is our location on Union Lake Road in Commerce Township because they have a brand-new store and fuel center directly across the street."

Kroger does not currently have a plan in place for the Union Lake Road property, said Ken McClure, consumer communications manager for Kroger of Michigan.

"We will assume the lease for that location as part of the agreement," he said.

The other six stores will operate under the Hiller's banner until the sale is finalized in early July, McClure said. The locations then will switch to the Kroger brand.

"We've been in discussions for several months," Hiller said of the sale.

Hiller and McClure declined to comment Friday on terms of the sale.

"Terms of the agreement will not be disclosed," McClure said.

Most current Hiller's employees will remain in the stores as Kroger employees, Hiller said.

"Hiller's associates are encouraged to apply for positions," he said. "Kroger is going to be hiring most of Hiller's employees."

Kroger also partners with the same collective bargaining unit as Hiller's, he said.

"This keeps the union in place and eases the transition for the employees," he said.

McClure said he did not know how many existing Hiller's staff members will be hired as Kroger employees.

"We're not measuring it in terms of percentage as much as looking for all enthusiastic and friendly people who want to come into the Kroger family," he said. "Our intention is to take as many associates as possible who are a good fit and who are willing."

Hiller said preserving jobs motivated the sale.

"Kroger is looking for a lot of experienced associates in leadership positions as well as in other roles, so part of the motivation was to take care of my employees," he said. "Competition is tough, but this is an opportunity for Hiller's employees to start a career with Kroger."

McClure said Kroger was drawn to Hiller's reputation of providing local and ethnic foods.

"We're always growing and learning in those spaces, and we're looking forward to continuing those traditions," he said. "We've been on an aggressive plan of local and ethnic foods for the last several years so this is really a good fit for us."

McClure also said he worked with Hiller's for 20 years, including eight years as chief operating officer before leaving in January 2014.

"I worked there for a very long time, and I couldn't be more proud to be a part of the company that is carrying the Hiller's legacy forward."

Along with the Union Lake Road location in Commerce Township, Hiller's currently operates stores in Ann Arbor, Northville, Plymouth, South Lyon, West Bloomfield, and another in Commerce Township.

Hudsons81

Kroger stores in Michigan will now be offering free pharmacy home delivery.

http://www.thenewsherald.com/articles/2015/09/15/news/doc55f74f1a11ff2785976939.txt

retailisking

Kroger didn't have a reputation as a buyer of fixer-uppers, then it bought Roundy's. Sure enough, it's proving to be a challenge:
http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2016/11/03/kroger-exec-on-roundy-s-we-re-shining-up-a.html

TheFugitive

TheFugitive

Frankly I'm stunned.

Kroger has spent the past three decades steering away from markets where
they might encounter union problems.  NY certainly fits that description.

retailisking

A 13-year streak of positive comps is over at Kroger
http://www.supermarketnews.com/kroger/kroger-s-id-sales-fall-q4-ending-13-year-streak

Analysis: Kroger's successful formula is being emulated by competitors. How will KR right itself?
http://www.supermarketnews.com/kroger/kroger-victim-its-own-success

TheFugitive

I was the Ames representative in an acquired Zayre store in Jacksonville, Florida
when Ames decided to terminate the Zayre Senior Discount Program.

As the only guy in the building wearing an Ames ID badge did I catch hell
from just about every mature customer who walked in the building!

If that wasn't bad enough, they also ended Zayre's Military Discount Program.
Jacksonville being a big Navy town, that alienated a lot of the less-mature shoppers.

Ames then instituted a Senior Discount program of their own....several years
after I had left the company.

standa

Why is Kroger hiring in CT? I thought they didn't have stores here.

search for Kroger jobs in Connecticut on Google

Retail Regents

Quote from: standa on August 08, 2023, 01:50:16 PMWhy is Kroger hiring in CT? I thought they didn't have stores here.

Does Kroger own any local grocery nameplates? Perhaps it could be a sign of their impending merger.

TheFugitive

Quote from: Retail Regents on August 08, 2023, 09:27:54 PM
Quote from: standa on August 08, 2023, 01:50:16 PMWhy is Kroger hiring in CT? I thought they didn't have stores here.

Does Kroger own any local grocery nameplates? Perhaps it could be a sign of their impending merger.

It may have to do with the pending Kroger-Albertsons merger, which is still hung-up in antitrust related legal challenges.  Albertsons appears to own the following chains with a presence in Connecticut.

Acme Markets
Balducci's
Kings Food Markets

I presume those would become Kroger badges if the merger goes through.

BillyGr

Quote from: TheFugitive on August 09, 2023, 01:21:42 PM
Quote from: Retail Regents on August 08, 2023, 09:27:54 PM

It may have to do with the pending Kroger-Albertsons merger, which is still hung-up in antitrust related legal challenges.  Albertsons appears to own the following chains with a presence in Connecticut.

Acme Markets
Balducci's
Kings Food Markets

I presume those would become Kroger badges if the merger goes through.

Those are Albertson's brands.  I know Acme has a handful of stores in CT (that they got from the bankruptcy of A&P), all in the corner closest to NY State.  Not sure if the other two are there also, but if so likely just as limited.

Unless they figure on expanding at some point (since Shaw's, also part of the company now, pulled out of CT it's the "gap" between those few Acme locations and the rest of Shaw's in RI/MA/VT/NH/ME for the overall company).