Kroger

Started by tokensafari, January 06, 2005, 07:18:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gu4ever

Thanks for sharing those photo's of Kroger wiseguy93. The greenhouse style store is one of my favorites, I'm guessing because it reminds me of the modern Grand Union.
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

GothicPrincess

wiseguy, we have a building here in Latrobe that used to be a Kroger, long before I came to these parts. The building is exactly like your photo of Southfield, Michigan. I'll try to post a photo. That area is now a furniture place and an auto parts store...
Jaime...BRADLEES FOREVER!!!

wiseguy93

This old Kroger's Superstore in Athens Alabama is becoming home to the Athens Limestone Public Library. This building is going under a complete renovations.

wiseguy93

Here is some pictures showing what the inside of the old Krogers looked like.

wiseguy93

Former Kroger Greenhouse located at, 3450
Robinhood Rd., Winston-Salem NC.

Photo from:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/otherstream/

wiseguy93

A former 1970's Kroger's superstore. located at
3950 W. Market St., Greensboro NC.  Now
home to a furniture store.

Note photo from:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/otherstream/

wiseguy93

a former Kroger's. Looking at the picture I wonder if this was a former superstore. Looks like there might be one under the face lift to the building.Located at 4215 High Point Road, Greensboro NC after Krogers this became, Harris Teeter,

wiseguy93

a former Kroger's Superstore located at
Yanceyville Street at Cone Boulevard,
Greensboro NC

wiseguy93

This former Kroger's Greenhouse located at
1133 North Wendover Road. After Kroger's it
was a Bi-Lo and Save-a-Lot, now closed.

wiseguy93

This Former Kroger's Greenhouse, later Harris Teeter,is loacated at 401 Jonestown Rd., Winston-Salem NC.

wiseguy93

A Kroger's Green house located in Texas. This one is located at 1060 N MAIN ST EULESS, TX

wiseguy93

A former Winn Dixie Marketplace now a Kroger's. Located in Hurst Texas.

wiseguy93

this fomrer Kroger's greenhouse is vacant.

wiseguy93

A Kroger's Greenhouse located in Popluar Bluff Missouri. This greenhouse is located at 2654 N Westwood Blvd.

wiseguy93

A really old Kroger's located on 620 State Highway M, Warrenton, MO. Look at the old sign on the building if anybody had information on this Kroger's please share.

wiseguy93

This Kroger's greenhouse is located on 19 7th Ave W.

Photo taken from
www.andrew-turnbull.net/krogerwv.html

wiseguy93

This is a very old Kroger's located in the coalfield of West Virginia. In Logan County in the county seat of Logan Wva.

retailisking

As Schnucks completes its exit from the Memphis grocery market, Kroger is wasting little time reopening the stores under its banner.  Can any of you guys recall such a rapid turnaround?

http://www.memphisdailynews.com/news/2011/sep/16/grocery-shakeup/

retailisking

...And now Kroger exits Rockford, IL, selling their Hilander supermarkets to, you guessed it, Schnucks!  Schnucks becomes the dominant supermarket operator in the market, leapfrogging Walmart.  Their takeover is, if anything, even faster than Kroger's takeover of Schnucks in Memphis.
http://mystateline.com/fulltext-news?nxd_id=281187

retailisking

A potential $25 billion deal would be by far the largest in the history of the supermarket business. Ahold, Delhaize and Carrefour are seen as possible suitors. Carrefour is a colossus internationally - it's second only to Walmart in terms of worldwide sales - but its attempt at operating hypermarkets in the early 90s in the Philadelphia market was unsuccessful.
http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-02-07/kroger-seen-as-bargain-at-cheaper-than-99-of-s-p-500-real-m-a.html

jason83080

If Ahold buys Kroger, it'd be a slap in the face to Finast. IIRC, Ahold pulled out of Ohio because they couldn't compete with Giant Eagle. If they want to try again, I can think of a few old Tops stores that are STILL vacant since the closures, and one that briefly became a Giant Eagle before closing again. Heck, there's an Apples (very local chain - only 4 locations) that took over one of the vacated Tops that uses 99% of the old signage, right down to the diamond-shaped aisle markers, but with "apples" stickers put on them.

Scrabbleship

Quote from: jason83080 on February 07, 2012, 10:09:58 PM
If Ahold buys Kroger, it'd be a slap in the face to Finast.

It would be just as big a slap in the face to the legacy of Ukrops in Richmond. An Ahold buyout of Kroger would mean the stark possibility of traditional grocery having a duopoly (Ahold and Delhaize via Food Lion). Between this and how the switch to Martin's has dragged the ex-Ukrops stores down into the ground, was it worth keeping all the stores open which Harris Teeter wouldn't have done?

Back on topic, Ahold does fine rabble-rousing Giant Eagle in the Altoona and Johnstown areas and their confusing rivalry in Frederick, MD is entering its second decade. If Ahold bought Kroger, they'd do just fine in the Morgantown, Columbus, and Toledo markets.

JimSawhill

I hope Kroger will not be bought out!!!

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

Quote from: jason83080 on February 07, 2012, 10:09:58 PM
If Ahold buys Kroger, it'd be a slap in the face to Finast. IIRC, Ahold pulled out of Ohio because they couldn't compete with Giant Eagle. If they want to try again, I can think of a few old Tops stores that are STILL vacant since the closures, and one that briefly became a Giant Eagle before closing again. Heck, there's an Apples (very local chain - only 4 locations) that took over one of the vacated Tops that uses 99% of the old signage, right down to the diamond-shaped aisle markers, but with "apples" stickers put on them.

Do you know if there are anymore Apples Supermarkets left in the area at all or not jason83080? I am pretty much from the same area. I am only asking this, because Giant Eagle purchased all of the Apples Supermarkets around me and in the surrounding counties back in 1999/2000. If these four Apples Supermarkets still exist today as you stated in your post above, would you mind posting their addresses and locations? I would love to be able to go to and shop at an Apples Supermarket again and see what they are like since selling most of their locations to Giant Eagle as I stated up above back in 1999/2000.

Joeg

Now i Heard it in reverse, that Kroger is looking to buy the Stop and Shop chain.

BillyGr

Quote from: IGA/Kmart Is Forever! on September 15, 2012, 12:09:10 AM
Do you know if there are anymore Apples Supermarkets left in the area at all or not jason83080? I am pretty much from the same area. I am only asking this, because Giant Eagle purchased all of the Apples Supermarkets around me and in the surrounding counties back in 1999/2000. If these four Apples Supermarkets still exist today as you stated in your post above, would you mind posting their addresses and locations? I would love to be able to go to and shop at an Apples Supermarket again and see what they are like since selling most of their locations to Giant Eagle as I stated up above back in 1999/2000.

Here are 4 that I found (had a list as we were out that way, though not these particular areas - had made the list not being sure where we'd wind up being):

Apples - 1051 Meister Road     Lorain
Apples - 230 North Abbe Road   Elyria
Apples - 400 Sheffield Center   Sheffield
Apples - 4100 Ivanhoe Avenue   Sheffield Lake

retailisking

Quote from: Joeg on September 15, 2012, 06:21:02 AM
Now i Heard it in reverse, that Kroger is looking to buy the Stop and Shop chain.

Ahold is loaded with cash and looking to grow in the USA, and Kroger has been content to make small deals like the trade with Schnucks in Memphis and Rockford. I can't see a deal of that magnitude happening any time soon, and Quincy is the nucleus of Ahold USA's operations. It just doesn't make sense to me.  If anything in Stop & Shop territory is up for grabs it would be Shaw's or A&P.

JimSawhill

Quote from: retailisking on September 16, 2012, 01:23:09 AM

Ahold is loaded with cash and looking to grow in the USA, and Kroger has been content to make small deals like the trade with Schnucks in Memphis and Rockford. I can't see a deal of that magnitude happening any time soon, and Quincy is the nucleus of Ahold USA's operations. It just doesn't make sense to me.  If anything in Stop & Shop territory is up for grabs it would be Shaw's or A&P.

I think the last A&P in New England is Storrs/Mansfield, CT. Not a good location...the store is below Rt 44.

Edit: I fgoofeed... it was an A&P...now it is a GU. (Sorry)

BillyGr

Quote from: JimSawhill on September 26, 2012, 03:54:26 PM
Quote from: retailisking on September 16, 2012, 01:23:09 AM

Ahold is loaded with cash and looking to grow in the USA, and Kroger has been content to make small deals like the trade with Schnucks in Memphis and Rockford. I can't see a deal of that magnitude happening any time soon, and Quincy is the nucleus of Ahold USA's operations. It just doesn't make sense to me.  If anything in Stop & Shop territory is up for grabs it would be Shaw's or A&P.

I think the last A&P in New England is Storrs/Mansfield, CT. Not a good location...the store is below Rt 44.

Edit: I fgoofeed... it was an A&P...now it is a GU. (Sorry)

These A&P locations are still listed in the state of CT (from apfreshonline.com store locator):
160 West Putnam Ave. - Greenwich, CT 06831
1261 East Putnam Ave. - Riverside, CT 06878
1201 High Ridge Road - Stamford, CT 06905
1 Padanaram Rd - Danbury, CT 06811
There are several others listed as Wine, Beer and Spirits, but I think these are the only "real" supermarkets (aside from the one Food Emporium mentioned in the other post).

Of course, don't forget that Stop & Shop "Territory" includes more than just New England - NY and NJ have Stop & Shop stores also (and a lot more A&P and other family members like Pathmark locations as well).

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

Quote from: BillyGr on September 15, 2012, 07:07:51 PM
Quote from: IGA/Kmart Is Forever! on September 15, 2012, 12:09:10 AM

Here are 4 that I found (had a list as we were out that way, though not these particular areas - had made the list not being sure where we'd wind up being):

Apples - 1051 Meister Road     Lorain
Apples - 230 North Abbe Road   Elyria
Apples - 400 Sheffield Center   Sheffield
Apples - 4100 Ivanhoe Avenue   Sheffield Lake

Thank you very much for providing me with this information BillyGr. I really appreciate it. Back when I was a teenager, I loved Apples Supermarkets. When they sold all of their locations in my area to Giant Eagle back in 1999/2000, I thought that they sold every single location it was that they had. Very happy to find out that I was wrong!