Kroger

Started by tokensafari, January 06, 2005, 07:18:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wiseguy93

Old 1970's Kroger's Superstore.

wiseguy93

Here's an old Kroger's Superstore located on Asheville Highway. The store now has some type of Hardware in it and the new Kroger's is located right across the road.

wiseguy93

Old Superstore located on Asheville highway looks like maybe now it's a hardware store.

wiseguy93

Vacant Kroger's Greenhouse in Bluefield, Virginia

wiseguy93

An old Kroger's Greenhouse now a Big Lots.

wiseguy93

This Krogers is located in Middlesboro, kentucky. It appears it may have on time been a superstore, but remolded in the later years.

wiseguy93

A Kroger's Greenhouse located in Paris Tennessee

wiseguy93

wiseguy93

This old Kroger's greenhouse is located in Conneaut, Ohio.

wiseguy93

Former Kroger's Greenhouse now a Big Lots.

wiseguy93

wiseguy93

a very small Krogers located at 1420 Vine St,

Parrot32X

Here is the new Kroger that I had mentioned earlier in one of my recent Kmart posts for Somerset. It is located in an old Winn-Dixie Marketplace on US 27 South, and it replaced the old Kroger on Hwy. 80 next to Kmart.

<iframe width="425" height="240" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps/sv?cbp=12,310.15,,0,2.3&amp;cbll=37.090322,-84.618394&amp;panoid=&amp;v=1&amp;hl=en&amp;gl=us"></iframe>
<small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;source=embed&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=Somerset,+KY&amp;sll=37.0625,-95.677068&amp;sspn=33.984987,79.013672&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=37.091267,-84.604082&amp;spn=0.004176,0.009645&amp;t=h&amp;z=14&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=37.090322,-84.618394&amp;panoid=Q4zy-dYEUPOqjRPqQlpy7Q&amp;cbp=12,310.15,,0,2.3" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

gu4ever

QuoteOriginally posted by wiseguy93

I love the look of Kroger's greenhouse style store. I'd love to see one of their open locations in person!!
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

nims57

QuoteOriginally posted by gu4ever

I love the look of Kroger's greenhouse style store. I'd love to see one of their open locations in person!!  

You might want to look in Houston or Dallas in Texas, or parts of Tennessee. Michigan would be nice, where they have Kroger. I am not sure about greenhouses though.

check out 6:48 in this 1983 commercial break: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WF0jXbG0yo

I love greenhouses because they were really the last classic grocery store design.

gu4ever

QuoteOriginally posted by nims57
QuoteOriginally posted by gu4ever

You might want to look in Houston or Dallas in Texas, or parts of Tennessee. Michigan would be nice, where they have Kroger. I am not sure about greenhouses though.

check out 6:48 in this 1983 commercial break: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WF0jXbG0yo

I love greenhouses because they were really the last classic grocery store design.

That was an awesome find in the commercial, I was in awe over the greenhouse store at dusk!! Thanks for sharing.
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

wiseguy93

This old Kroger's green house in Muscle Shoals Plaza, Muscle Shoals Alabama has shut down.

wiseguy93

Old Kroger's Superstore is now Big Lots, seems like Big Lots for some reason like these old buildings. This one was located in NorthgateMall in TullahomaTN. If anyone has any information on when Kroger's closed please let us know or if Kroger's is still in Tullahoma, Tennessee

wiseguy93

This small Kroger's Greenhouse is located on Wayne Street in Dayton, Ohio.

wiseguy93

A former Kroger's green house later year a Sav a Center Supermarket and then Schas Industries. Now look closed.

Note:
The Sav-a-Center inset photo is by
Thom Wright, by the way.

wiseguy93

This former Kroger's Superstore is now a Marshall's.

Note Pic from:
Groceteria.com

wiseguy93

This former Kroger's superstore is now a Tractor Supply. This is not a good picture but the best I have for the time. Taken from Google maps.

wiseguy93

This former Kroger's Greenhouse located on
West Market at Spring Garden,
Greensboro NC is now a Food Lion.

Note:
Taken from Groceteria.com

wiseguy93

In the late 60's/early 70's, Kroger built a type of store called Kroger Family Center. They were larger than the typical Kroger of the time, running approximately 70,000 sq. ft. I know these stores existed in at least the following locations:

Mattoon, IL (E. IL 16, now Big Lots)
Lafayette, LA (Downtown, half torn down, the rest now a postal facility)
New Iberia, LA (between E. Main and E. St Peter streets, now a bowling alley and a local grocery)
Morgan City, LA (Brashear Ave.; was last a Canal Villere; abandoned)
Lake Charles, LA (E. Sallier St., Still operates as a Kroger)
Orange, TX (N. 16th St., Still operates as a Kroger)
Longview, TX (W. Marshall Ave., Still operates as a Kroger Signature store)
Marshall, TX (East End Blvd., Still operates as a Kroger Signature store)

These stores are a quite distinctive architecture. They were of tilt wall construction, with a covered walkway at the front made usually of concrete. Some of these stores still have this walkway (Longview lost the walkway with the greenhouse-style remodel). They were usually wider than they were deep. All of them had a full service restaurant, deli, bakery, pharmacy, and the works. Does anyone know of any more of these?

(if I've put this in the wrong category, let me know. It straddles southeast and southwest.)

wiseguy93

former Kroger Greenhouse remodeled to a modern prototype. Located on Emmett Street.

Note:

Picture taken from
Joe Architect's photostream  
on flickr.com.

wiseguy93

a Greenhouse-era Kroger in the Eighties,and
became a Food Lion in the nineties. It was heavily
renovated again a few years ago, but still
kind of looks like a 1983 model Kroger store.

Note:
Taken from
http://www.flickr.com/photos/joearchitect/

wiseguy93

Former Kroger's superstore, unfortable it's gone!!!! Now Reedman's Furniture store.

Photo by
Darrell James'