Stop & Shop

Started by AmesNewington, April 02, 2005, 12:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoleModel

Quote from: standa on September 16, 2019, 08:43:21 PM
The store pictured at the top of the article looks like a former Waldbaum's. Is it true?

https://www.winsightgrocerybusiness.com/retailers/stop-shop-unveils-21-remodels-long-island

Rocky Point, NY. Waldbaum's sold this to Foodtown but it was too out of the way for them and they sold to Stop & Shop about a year or so after

TheFugitive

Last April Joe Biden stopped by a Stop & Shop store to support striking workers.

Apparently he thought he was at Rite Aid.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/09/17/joe-bidens-latest-campaign-gaffe-hits-boston/

JimSawhill

Quote from: TheFugitive on September 18, 2019, 08:00:25 AM
Last April Joe Biden stopped by a Stop & Shop store to support striking workers.

Apparently he thought he was at Rite Aid.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/09/17/joe-bidens-latest-campaign-gaffe-hits-boston/

Funny... Crazy Joe...

Brammy

Forestville Stop and Shop added a same day Peapod pick up area. They also just added a Wing Bar. $7.99/lb for wings. (It's cheaper at the Southington ShopRite, though Stop and Shop has more varieties). The whole rest of the store is still a dump and needs a major remodel.
The Real Brammy

Bdubs

Quote from: bjs203marc on November 02, 2019, 12:13:14 PM
Forestville Stop and Shop added a same day Peapod pick up area. They also just added a Wing Bar. $7.99/lb for wings. (It's cheaper at the Southington ShopRite, though Stop and Shop has more varieties). The whole rest of the store is still a dump and needs a major remodel.
I noticed the Middletown store also just added same day pickup area, the Norwich one was still under construction when I was last in there. It looks like they had converted the customer waiting areas, which was a couple hard benches and a bulletin board that nobody ever used because the areas were always full of mart carts, so at least they are utilizing the space better.

Brammy

Quote from: Bdubs on November 02, 2019, 08:02:17 PM
Quote from: bjs203marc on November 02, 2019, 12:13:14 PM
I noticed the Middletown store also just added same day pickup area, the Norwich one was still under construction when I was last in there. It looks like they had converted the customer waiting areas, which was a couple hard benches and a bulletin board that nobody ever used because the areas were always full of mart carts, so at least they are utilizing the space better.

I don't know if they're adding the same day pick up area to all their stores or not. I first noticed one at the beginning of September at Giant Food in King of Prussia, PA. Then at Route 6 Farmington Ave in Bristol. Then Pine Street in Forestville. I haven't been to the Southington store in a while, so I don't know if they have this yet. New Britain CT did not have the last time I went there, but I don't recall when the last time I was there.
The Real Brammy

Brammy

Both Bristol stores - Route 6 Farmington Ave and Pine Street Forestville added a Chicken Wing bar. $7.99/lb for several different flavors of regular and boneless wings plus pork wings.

Southington does not have same day pick up yet. They don't have a wing bar either. They redid their self checkout. They used to have 6 full sized self checkouts. Now they have 2 full size self checkouts and 5 small sized self checkouts. The 5 small ones are arranged in a rectangle similar to the Southington Walmart.
The Real Brammy

Scrabbleship

Quote from: bjs203marc on December 30, 2019, 07:28:25 PM
Both Bristol stores - Route 6 Farmington Ave and Pine Street Forestville added a Chicken Wing bar. $7.99/lb for several different flavors of regular and boneless wings plus pork wings.

Southington does not have same day pick up yet. They don't have a wing bar either. They redid their self checkout. They used to have 6 full sized self checkouts. Now they have 2 full size self checkouts and 5 small sized self checkouts. The 5 small ones are arranged in a rectangle similar to the Southington Walmart.

Both of these - the wing bar and the self-checkout expansion - sound like what was done in Medford, MA not too long ago. Over there they had good reason to do so, there's a Wegmans a half mile away that took a good chunk of their business after opening and a good chunk of what remained thanks to the strike.

Brammy

According to this article from October 2019, nearly 200 Stop and Shop locations have added the Wing Bar. The article also said 21 stores were remodeled in CT in 2018, 21 on Long Island in 2019, and they expect 60-80 will be remodeled every year until they've all been remodeled.

https://www.supermarketnews.com/prepared-foods/stop-shop-brings-wing-bars-nearly-200-stores
The Real Brammy

Brammy

Stop and Shop's parent company Ahold-Delhaize is building a huge distribution center in a former JCP distribution center in Manchester, CT and several other locations.

https://www.masslive.com/news/2020/01/stop-shop-owner-ahold-delhaize-plans-connecticut-warehouse-shift-away-from-cs-wholesale-grocers.html
The Real Brammy

Bdubs

Quote from: bjs203marc on January 05, 2020, 02:43:05 PM
Stop and Shop's parent company Ahold-Delhaize is building a huge distribution center in a former JCP distribution center in Manchester, CT and several other locations.

https://www.masslive.com/news/2020/01/stop-shop-owner-ahold-delhaize-plans-connecticut-warehouse-shift-away-from-cs-wholesale-grocers.html

Back to CT! Stop & Shop operated a distribution center in North Haven from the 60s through 06. They laid off 800 workers when they opened a state of the art, mostly computerized facility in Freetown, MA.  Not only did they lay everybody off, but most of the drivers coming out of Freetown were contract drivers. It wasn’t the same when they converted, I was an evening receiver for a long time at Stop & Shop and a lot of those North Haven drivers were employees of the company for years.
Guess that Freetown thing didn’t work out after all.

Everything Community

The location at Charter Oak Mall in East Hartford, CT closed this past January (2022). That store had been located in that spot since 1976 (when the whole entire shopping center opened including that, Bradlees & Medi-Mart, a discontinued pharmacy chain which used to be a subsidiary of Stop & Shop) hence Stop & Shop was in East Hartford since the early 60s I think. That store still had the interior decor which hearkened back to the mid-2000s when that store was relocated within the shopping center from its original corner (where Big Lots! is now) to the other corner.
Link: https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/stop-and-shop-in-east-hartford-closes-its-doors-in-january/2682281/

Everything Community

Stop & Shop at New Park Ave. in Hartford, CT (photos taken March 2020)

That store still had a Dunkin Donuts shop inside (not fully sure if it is still fully operational) plus it still has leftover floor tiles from over 20+ years ago despite it having the more recent interior decor. It opened in 1994 at the site of the former (long-gone) Royal Typewriter Factory.

Brammy

Forestville, Connecticut is getting remodeled. They've changed a lot of the aisles around. They still have a long way to go. It's hard to believe that they will have been open 25 years next year.
The Real Brammy

Rpameskmartfan26

Surprisingly, nobody said anything here in a while. From my observations, Stop & Shop has come up with a newer design package. The walls are now dark green, turquoise, grey, and white. Earlier this year, two locations in my state received this new remodel.