Main Menu

Costco

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmesNewington

There's a Costco in Enfield CT, and one rumored coming to Newington CT next to the Stop and Shop Plaza off Route 9.

ynkeesfn82

If all goes well construction will start on a Costco near Target in New Britain, CT and the Westfarms Mall by Labor Day.

http://newbritainherald.com/articles/2013/03/27/news/doc51525aae7a6e1880419973.txt

ynkeesfn82

shakethis1234

Costco opening their first store in Syracuse NY area in 2014 in a new shopping center called Township 5

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Costco will be opening today in Green Bay, Wisconsin at 8:00 AM.

ynkeesfn82

Ground was finally broken on Costco in New Britain, Connecticut next to Target by The Westfarms Mall. They hope to open in the Fall of 2015.

http://www.courant.com/community/new-britain/hc-new-britain-costco-0904-20140903,0,2612074.story

Editor's Note: I'll believe it when I see it.

Hudsons81

Rumors have been circulating for a while now that Costco may set up shop in the now-defunct Super Kmart in Southgate, Michigan. I don't know how accurate these may be, though...

jason83080

They'll likely raze the building and build a new store from scratch. I don't think a Kmart building has the height restrictions that a warehouse club needs.

danfifepsu

whats a costco like? how does it differ from sams and bjs

TRU7536

Quote from: danfifepsu on February 08, 2015, 05:35:15 PM
whats a costco like? how does it differ from sams and bjs

I have heard from many that out of the 3, its the best one. They offer a lot of better products than Sam's Club reason why Sam's is failing. The employees are nicer and will help you and they been rated a really good place to work for.

They are opening one in New Britain next to Target.

ynkeesfn82

According to COSTCO.COM The New Britain, CT COSTCO will be opening in October 2015.

Whoser

East Lyme CT is soon to start construction on a Costco

danfifepsu

What makes Costco different than its competitors?

Quote from: danfifepsu on May 10, 2016, 08:31:47 PM
The layout is different. Sam's entrance/exit was located on the front wall, Costco's entrance/exit is usually found on the front corner of the building. Costco also has better quality products than Sam's Club.

danfifepsu

Quote from: ShopKoFan on May 11, 2016, 11:55:54 PM
Quote from: danfifepsu on May 10, 2016, 08:31:47 PM
The layout is different. Sam's entrance/exit was located on the front wall, Costco's entrance/exit is usually found on the front corner of the building. Costco also has better quality products than Sam's Club.

what does costco sell?

Quote from: danfifepsu on May 13, 2016, 02:28:31 PM
what does costco sell?

Groceries, electronics, computers, clothing, toys, etc.

(Everything you find at a Costco is similar to what you'd find at a Sam's Club or BJ's Wholesale, except the brand names are different.)

danfifepsu

Quote from: ShopKoFan on May 13, 2016, 09:22:30 PM
Quote from: danfifepsu on May 13, 2016, 02:28:31 PM
what does costco sell?

Groceries, electronics, computers, clothing, toys, etc.

(Everything you find at a Costco is similar to what you'd find at a Sam's Club or BJ's Wholesale, except the brand names are different.)

thy are more well liked though. and I noticed that in places like Georgia and Illinios the only Costcos are in ATlanta and Chicago and all the other towns are upset about that.

retailisking

Zayre88

Costco is doing very well in Canada:

QuoteCostco Wholesale Corp.’s same-store sales in Canada outpaced growth in all of the warehouse retailer’s other divisions in the second quarter.

They were up 8 percent at Costco in Canada and 3 percent in the U.S. and fell 2 percent in other international markets.

At rival Walmart Canada, same-store sales rose 0.2 percent in the quarter ended Jan. 31.

http://business.financialpost.com/news/retail-marketing/costco-misses-second-quarter-estimates-though-sales-up-in-canada-u-s-hikes-membership-fees

retailisking

Quote from: Zayre88 on March 03, 2017, 06:08:46 PM
Costco is doing very well in Canada
I'm not surprised, especially with all the problems Sobeys is having in Western Canada.

Zayre88

Quote from: retailisking on March 03, 2017, 11:54:18 PM
Quote from: Zayre88 on March 03, 2017, 06:08:46 PM
Costco is doing very well in Canada
I'm not surprised, especially with all the problems Sobeys is having in Western Canada.

Walmart Canada's same-store sales only rose 0.2 percent. I think people are deceived of the new so-called Supercenter format for smaller stores.

The usual small store is in the 90,000 sq.ft. range.  Most of them had the land to expand and eventually become a Supercenter.  However, what Walmart did for many of them is simply reconfigure the existing layout to add more groceries.  The result is that the majority of the store space is now supermarket and every other category has been reduced or removed!

I call that a fake Supercenter...  locally many people hate it.  It may explain why people are turning to the proven Costco format.

retailisking

Quote from: Zayre88 on March 04, 2017, 07:42:30 AM
Walmart Canada's same-store sales only rose 0.2 percent.
Positive comps are taking a beating in the US due to deflation, which impacts retail grocery pricing. Even Kroger posted negative comps, ending a more than decade-long streak. I assume it's the same situation in Canada.

Zayre88

The former Costco store in Newington NH:

danfifepsu

Quote from: Zayre88 on July 19, 2017, 05:29:12 AM

thats been gone for 21 yrs

JimSawhill

Quote from: danfifepsu on July 19, 2017, 07:18:38 AM
Quote from: Zayre88 on July 19, 2017, 05:29:12 AM

thats been gone for 21 yrs

What's in there now? A new Costco just opened 6 months ago in the Town n Country area of Tampa...

Zayre88

Quote from: JimSawhill on September 16, 2017, 07:52:20 AMWhat's in there now? A new Costco just opened 6 months ago in the Town n Country area of Tampa...

The store has been replaced by a Home Depot.  That store later relocated to a new building nearby and the former Home Depot/Costco was divided and remodeled for Christmas Tree Shops and Bed,Bath & Beyond. 

The store was possibly demolished and then replaced by a new building for the two stores instead, I don't remember exactly.

danfifepsu

Quote from: Zayre88 on September 16, 2017, 09:03:36 AM
Quote from: JimSawhill on September 16, 2017, 07:52:20 AMWhat's in there now? A new Costco just opened 6 months ago in the Town n Country area of Tampa...

The store has been replaced by a Home Depot.  That store later relocated to a new building nearby and the former Home Depot/Costco was divided and remodeled for Christmas Tree Shops and Bed,Bath & Beyond. 

The store was possibly demolished and then replaced by a new building for the two stores instead, I don't remember exactly.

it was demolished.

Ameskid

Still under construction...this new Costco was built on part of the former Owings Mills Mall property.

Costco, Owings Mills, MD by Harvestman Man, on Flickr
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

Bdubs

They have started construction on a new Costco right off 95 in East Lyme CT.