Main Menu

New Forum

Started by Valerie, June 24, 2008, 12:16:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valerie

Hey, so this is a forum about books. Anything about books really, good ones you have read or bad ones, reviews, omments on favorite authors, ect.

-Valerie

NJxxJon

Nice status under your name...hahahaha
JN

tokensafari

I was like new mod what... then i saw the status... then it clicked. welcome welcome.

C. Fontaine

Sorry, I have to give privileges or I'm in the doghouse... :insane:

tokensafari

True. We can't give you what she does. I mean, people already think we are all weird for treasuring old store chains.

beachgal26

Hi, Valerie!  Since no one responded to your subject, I'll go with anything by Stephen King (prior to 2000, since I can't get into many of his new books).  I guess that he is the "Eagles" of the book world since he has retired several times, but always manages to find some new book ideas.

:yup:

Valerie

I like older Stephen King as well. I wish I could say the same about his newer books. I went through a phase where I read any book by him that I could get my hands on, but I haven't read anything by him since then.

Valerie

Thanks for all the welcomes!!!Sorry I skipped steps to get my status, but it was more fun to have a cool title lol!!

NJxxJon

I like the fact we can manage and have good forum skills. Everything is going good and I see some older accounts logging on.
JN

gu4ever

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgal26
Hi, Valerie!  Since no one responded to your subject, I'll go with anything by Stephen King (prior to 2000, since I can't get into many of his new books).  I guess that he is the "Eagles" of the book world since he has retired several times, but always manages to find some new book ideas.

:yup:
I've only read one of his books,  The Shining" it was a great book.  Couldn't put it down till I was finished!!
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

GothicPrincess

A book to get into....Mine by Robert R. McCammon. A story of a woman's quest to chase down the hippie that stole her baby right out of a hospital. It's about never giving up no matter what. And it's a wonderful book. I read this book about 8 years ago, and when I lost my copy, I found it again at a used bookstore. So happy so happy.

Another author, is Dean Koontz. Almost ALL of his books I have enjoyed. My 2 favorites are Seize the Night and Fear Nothing. Those 2 are a 2 book series. Supernatural fun.

And to show my goofballness, I'm a Twilight fan. The BOOKS. The SERIES. Great series, not gross or scary, it's a LOVE STORY of a mortal girl and an immortal SEXY vampire...ahhhh Edward...And another book by Stephenie Meyers is called The Host. First few chapters are a little odd, but after that, the book is INCREDIBLE. You find yourself sympathizing with the alien parasite. It's great.

Oh, and Harry Potter. I'm a dork for Harry Potter. Movies AND books.

One more, ANYTHING by V.C. Andrews. Even though she technically wrote 4-6 books, the ghostwritten works are just as good. You will find that the books basically center around a 13-16 year old girl starting out life in hard times, and finds that no matter what, nothing beats love, money can NOT buy happiness. There is only one book that is about a girl less than 13 years old, but that's a good story too...Broken Flower and Scattered Leaves. It's a 2 book.

Ok I'll shut up now :)
Jaime...BRADLEES FOREVER!!!

beachgal26

To the Stephen King fans, what do you think of "The Stand"?  It is my all-time favorite and I re-read it every summer and just enjoy the comparison to the bad guys setting up shop in Las Vegas!

Have any of you seen the mini-series from 1994?  (Some really bad casting and costumes - who would ride cross-country in a skirt and where is everyone's beard?)  However, a wonderful re-telling of the story plus early Gary Sinese and one of my favs, Ray Walston!

:yup::yup::yup::yup::yup:

Valerie

Sorry I haven't posted in awhile, Stephen King always good, and GothicPrincess I really like all of the authors you mentioned. So glad that someone besides myself has read The Host and not just the Twilight books. It deserves every bit as much credit. Also I have been reading a few new authors that were recommended to me all of them awesome.

Laurell K hamilton-2 series both are FANTASTIC. Not good for kids however

Richelle Mead--all of he books/series are amazing and I can never put her down. Her Vampire Academy series is technically YA, but awesome anyway

Rick Riordan-Percy Jackson series...technically a series for kids but so amazing that you can read them at any age and they are still intense

Kim Harrison-So AWESOME, must read the Hollows Series.

Ok, so that is enough of my dorky reading habit for one day, but really anyone looking for a new series, any of these are super

GothicPrincess

This is for beachgal26. I own a copy of The Stand and it is in terrible condition from being read so much. I OWN the VHS of The Stand, 4 tapes, and they're starting to wear out from being watched so much. Gary Sinise is lovable in that movie. Ray Walston was incredible as well. No idea why she wore a skirt on a scooter, but hey, to each their own I guess lol.

To Valerie, I will write down your authors and titles/subjects, I gotta hit up the library again soon. Maybe the used bookstore again to see what they have. And I'm glad I'm not the only one that reads not just the mainstream titles, but the others as well.

If I come across anything else new, I'll shove my opinion in here again. I just moved and realized I have a crapload of books...I haven't read half of them lol a bunch of Harlequin Blaze books, some various books I got from a bookclub from who knows when, I think I have a Fern Michaels book over there, and my lame-ness is coming, hold on to your seats, I have the written book of MYST, Atrus' story. Yes, folks, I'm THAT lame. I love those games.....I gotta get my hands on the 5 game set tho, because some of my discs are tore up. That's what happens when your almost 12 year old was trying to play them for the past few years........
Jaime...BRADLEES FOREVER!!!