Strawbridge & Clothier

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
here is the vacant strawbridge's in whitehall (allentown) pa as of June 11, 2006.

whitehall, the mall phamplet says it will become boscov's./

whitehall one in the leigh valley mall.

d_fife

here is the strawbridge's in plymouth meeting pa (near norristown) in the plymouth meeting mall. it looks old.

d_fife

here is the strawbridge's in plymouth meeting pa (near norristown) in the plymouth meeting mall. it looks old.

more plymouth meeting one

d_fife

plymouth meeting

d_fife

plymouth meeting

plymouth meeting

d_fife

plymouth meeting

plymouth meeting

plymouth meeting

d_fife

plymouth meeting

plymouth meeting

plymouth meeting

plymouth meeting

d_fife

King of prussia strawbridge's in the huge king of prussia mall in king of prussia pa as of June 10, 2006. IT is still OPEN THOUGH MACYS IS IN THE MALL!!!!!!

d_fife

King of prussia strawbridge's in the huge king of prussia mall in king of prussia pa as of June 10, 2006. IT is still OPEN THOUGH MACYS IS IN THE MALL!!!!!!

king of prussia one

d_fife

king of prussia one

king of prussia

KyleRF

2 Things:

1) Yes, the Strawbridge's in the Lehigh Valley Mall is becoming a Boscov's. I was there a month ago, and they are in the process of interviewing people for jobs in the new Boscov's.

2) The Strawbridge's at King of Prussia will become a new J.C. Penney and a Fortunoff. The old J.C. Penney will become a Target.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by KyleRF
2 Things:

1) Yes, the Strawbridge's in the Lehigh Valley Mall is becoming a Boscov's. I was there a month ago, and they are in the process of interviewing people for jobs in the new Boscov's.

2) The Strawbridge's at King of Prussia will become a new J.C. Penney and a Fortunoff. The old J.C. Penney will become a Target.

THANKS FOR THE INFO. I Will revisit the mall once those changes are made. I heard their flagship one may have been in philadelphia.

KyleRF

I have some pictures of the inside of the Lehigh Valley Mall, particularly the vacant Strawbridge's there. The labelscar is clearly visible, and so are the signs that say that you are in the Strawbridge's wing.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by KyleRF
I have some pictures of the inside of the Lehigh Valley Mall, particularly the vacant Strawbridge's there. The labelscar is clearly visible, and so are the signs that say that you are in the Strawbridge's wing.

I saw that in the mall, but I Do not take pictures inside the mall because I am more likely to get caught (on looking people will always be by and will report me to mall security) the doors where shut of the store.

KyleRF

Do you have pictures of the Strawbridge's at the Echelon Mall, by any chance?

store215

Where did you hear this about a Target being added to the mall? I know Target bought the Strawbridge's on the Springfield Mall (delaware county), but havent heard anything about King of Prussia.

FYI: The Strawbridge's in KoP should have closed already, but it is stuck in some  kind of lease agreement, which is the reason for both strawbridges and macys right now. I don't know why Boscov's didnt want/couldnt get it.

And the flagship Strawbridge (and Clothier) store in downtown Philly is no longer open as well, which is sad.  The Wannamaker building nearby (was a Lord and Taylor) is being turned into a Macy's.

Ameskid

Hey Storehistoryguy, those are not Clover brand. Apparently, they are a fabric-work company. In my Hancock Fabrics, I saw something with that logo. I checked on the back and it made no mention of Clover stores. It's a different company
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

amesman

Well considering this thread has been active since 2005, yes, I think people may remember them a little bit hehe. They were a department store and they sold clothing.. like Macy's, Boscov's, etc.

MikeRa

The former Strawbridge & Clothier location, in Bensalem, PA:
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

MikeRa

The Strawbridge & Clothier, Bensalem, PA.  Now Macy's:

Mobil

QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy
Clover brand bamboo knitting needles! :bounce:
Those needles are from a Japanese company not Clover stores. You can still buy those needles today.

Mobil

QuoteOriginally posted by Ameskid
Hey Storehistoryguy, those are not Clover brand. Apparently, they are a fabric-work company. In my Hancock Fabrics, I saw something with that logo. I checked on the back and it made no mention of Clover stores. It's a different company

A different company indeed. It's a Japanese company!! They appear to have plagiarized Clover's logo! :holysh:
The Strawbridge's at the Springfield Mall has just been torn down for a SuperTarget! :no::flaming: This Strawbridge's was originally a Wanamaker's, then a Hecht's. There was an existing Strawbridge's which moved to this location in 1997. The old store became a Target and Bed Bath & Beyond, and Target bought the other Strawbridge's in 2005.
In Wilmington, DE, there is a plaza called Merchants Square, where a Strawbridge & Clothier has been abandoned since 1983!!! :holysh::huh:

Mobil

MikeRa

QuoteOriginally posted by Mobil
Abandoned for 25 years:
The former Wilmington, DE S&C.

videogamer75

Here's an old Clover flyer from 1995 advertising electronics. I also found a 1995 flyer from Jamesway, I'll upload that as soon as possible.

MikeRa

QuoteOriginally posted by DefunctStoreKing
was there a toy section in clover and a food section in clover?
Clover did have a toy department.  clover didn't really have a food department.

MikeRa

Here is a picture of the former John Wanamaker/Hecht's/strawbridge's/Boscov's at Oxford Valley Mall, Langhorne, PA.  This picture was taken in 1998, when it was strawbridge's.

MikeRa

QuoteOriginally posted by tomasher
QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy
Former Clover in Philadelphia Pa.

http://www.tomasher.net/deadretail.html

My all-time favorite discount store chain.  When Clover disappeared, it was like losing a piece of my childhood.

The store in this picture was the Clover on Frankford Avenue in Northeast Philadelphia.  The KMart relocated from less than one mile away in an area with much less traffic.

Other Clover stores of my youth include:

- Rising Sun and Adams Avenues in Philadelphia, PA.  This was a Woolco that became a Clover when Woolco shut its doors.  It served as an anchor in the Rising Sun Plaza strip mall with an Acme grocery store, now an Asian supermarket.  The Clover is now a National Wholesale Liquidators, but it only uses one of the two entrances that the Clover (and Woolco) had.

- Cottman and Castor Avenues in Philadelphia, PA.  This was a multi-level Clover with escalators and an elevator, in a former Lit Brothers store.  After Clover left, JCPenney moved in for a few years, before that shut down.  Since then, the property has been relatively vacant except for at least one weekend when one of those traveling electronics expos went in.  A Toys R Us is next door.
The Toys R Us that is next to the former Lit Brothers/clover/JC Penney opened originally as Food Fair Supermarket, then in the late 1960's became Pantry Pride Supermarkets (when Food Fair changed the store names to Pantry Pride)  This was the third Lit Brothers store to be open, after 8th & Market and 69th Street, Upper Darby.

XDeSuEhTX

"Ancient malls, overgrown like Roman ruins without the class, our generation will be remembered for our greatest works, our trinkets at Spencer Gifts"

MikeRa

here is a pic of the Clover store at Cottman and Castor Avenue, in Philadelphia.  This was origionally a Lit Brothers Department Store location.