Strawbridge & Clothier

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

store215

store215

Ok, here's a sketch of what clover stores would look like:

All the stores did look like the above except the store in The Gallery Mall in Philadelphia, because it was a former Dept. store. It's now a Kmart.

The first store opened in Cherry Hill, NJ in 1971
All but one store closed in 1997. The one that stayed open in Egg Harbor, NJ was stuck in a lease and had to wait for another store to pick it up.

store215

Clearer Pic:

The area where the logo is would have been a dark green color. I'll try to colorize the pic later.

storehistoryguy

The one in Warrington Pa. It went down in 1995 with the rest. It was boarded up until 2000 when they tore it down for a Home Depot. Idiots! :mad:

store215

QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy
The one in Warrington Pa. It went down in 1995 with the rest. It was boarded up until 2000 when they tore it down for a Home Depot. Idiots! :mad:

Wow, I live right near there and i shopped there quite a few times. (What is ironic is the huge new shopping center they are building across the street when the center next to the Home Depot/Clover is empty)

thedisneystore967

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321
Ok, here's a sketch of what clover stores would look like:

All the stores did look like the above except the store in The Gallery Mall in Philadelphia, because it was a former Dept. store. It's now a Kmart.

The first store opened in Cherry Hill, NJ in 1971
All but one store closed in 1997. The one that stayed open in Egg Harbor, NJ was stuck in a lease and had to wait for another store to pick it up.

what kind of a town name Is egg Harbour?:insane:

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321

Wow, I live right near there and i shopped there quite a few times. (What is ironic is the huge new shopping center they are building across the street when the center next to the Home Depot/Clover is empty)

I am so angry about that new shopping center! I am not happy about it! Hey, maybe we've met when you've come to the Clover! I was a cashier there from 1993-1995.

store215

QuoteOriginally posted by 76BraldorZayKamesfanBBTB
I like Clover's logo SSSSSSooooooo 1960's psychedelic!

What did Clover's interior look like?

It felt very Target-ish, except with a green sort of theme instead of red. I think the majority of the stores had snack bars, and they had pharmacies. I still see the carts floating around flea markets (a few ended up in Quakertown farmers market, and some of the old Dollar Tree stores)

As a side note, the Feasterville Clover (Value City) still has clover price stickers inside the freight elevator:yup:

storehistoryguy

What!?!? I love there logo! It went along. Its a clover and the name of the store was Clover.

store215

What!?!? I love there logo! It went along. Its a clover and the name of the store was Clover.

I know I'm not insulting the logo I like it because it feels so modern and nostolgic like that old 1960s modernism

BTW I was commenting on the clover seen in the black & White photograph NOT the logo seen in the commercial

BASICALLY THE LOGO FIT FOR THE COMPANY AND IT WAS NICE!

Too bad it went GOB sigh:hurt::(
I don't think I've ever shopped at one.

And they would probably be still around too if Strawbrdiges (Strawbridge and Clothier) never sold their department stores to the May Company.

storehistoryguy

Clover brand bamboo knitting needles! :bounce:

storehistoryguy

Heres a Clover Brand needle case. *sigh* I miss that old logo. :)

storehistoryguy

Heres one of my two Clovers. This one is in Skippack Pa. and is a Kohl's today.

http://www.kimcorealty.com/

storehistoryguy

store215

G.O.B Article:

CLOVER BEGINS LIQUIDATION SALE

Only 11 out of 26 stores leased

PHILADELPHIA -- Clover closed July 10, except for one of its 26 stores, for inventory and will begin liquidation sales about July 17 that will last through Oct. 1.

Clover will use the cash from the sale of inventory and fixtures to pay debts. The exception is the Penn Rose Plaza store in Southwestern Philadelphia, which will remain open because the landlord won't release Clover from its lease until a replacement comes along.

"We will be operating that store indefinitely," Clover general manager Warren White said.

The board of its parent, Strawbridge & Clothier agreed to sell the chain for its real estate value to Kimco Realty, which in turn will re-market the former Clover stores.

The only tenant to surface so far is Kohl's, which has agreed to lease 11 of the stores for its initial entry into the Philadelphia market. Some sites reportedly will become supermarkets, but no details were available.

Most of the Clover stores, averaging 80,000 sq. ft., were too small to interest Target, which is lining up Philadelphia real estate, and Wal-Mart,which is expanding in the market.

At one point, Wal-Mart reportedly was interested in four of the larger stores, a few of which range in size to 150,000 sq. ft., but Kimco so far has disclosed no firm deals except for Kohl's.

At press time, Strawbridge & Clothier stockholders were expected to ratify the $40 million Clover store sale in a special meeting set for July 15, along with another agreement to sell the 14 Strawbridge & Clothier Department stores to the May Department Store Company.

Kimco anticipates taking possession of the Clover sites Oct. 1. The Clover liquidation puts about 4,000 employees out of work.

Clover was founded in 1971, when it opened its first store in Marlton, N.J., part of the Philadelphia market.

The entrance of Wal-Mart into the Northeast put pricing pressure on the chain. And the troubles of Kmart, Bradlees, Caldor and Jamesway, which cut prices to raise cash, also forced Clover to slash prices and hastened its demise.
Copyright of Discount Store News is the property of Lebhar - Friedman Inc.. Copyright of PUBLICATION is the property of PUBLISHER. The copyright in an individual article may be maintained by the author in certain cases. Content may not be copied or emailed to multiple sites or posted to a listserv without the copyright holder's express written permission. However, users may print, download, or email articles for individual use.
Source: Discount Store News, 7/15/96, Vol. 35 Issue 14, p3, 1p

store215

One of the last Clover stores to ever open (the last was the Gallery Mall store in Philadelphia a few months after this one)

WILMINGTON, DEL. -- Clover opened here May 5 its first store in four years and will follow that opening with another unit in downtown Philadelphia in August. The new Wilmington store measures 94,000 sq. ft., of which 85,000 sq. ft. is selling floor. That represents an increase of 15,000 sq. ft over the average Clover unit.

Including the two new units, Clover will end 1995 with 27 units, all in the Delaware Valley market around Philadelphia.
Copyright of Discount Store News is the property of Lebhar - Friedman Inc.. Copyright of PUBLICATION is the property of PUBLISHER. The copyright in an individual article may be maintained by the author in certain cases. Content may not be copied or emailed to multiple sites or posted to a listserv without the copyright holder's express written permission. However, users may print, download, or email articles for individual use.
Source: Discount Store News, 5/15/95, Vol. 34 Issue 10, p2, 1p

storehistoryguy

Anonymous

My local Kohl's (Morton, PA) was built as a Clover. It still looks like a Clover, because Kohl's did not replace the storefront.

store215

ameskmart1

Defunct Stores of My Past: Ernst/Buttrey Food & Drug/Bi-Lo IGA/Excell Foods/Hennessy's/Mervyns/Troutman's Emporium/B. Dalton/Circuit City/Best/The Bon Marche/Montgomery Ward/Malmo Nursery/United Furniture Warehouse/Future Shop/HomeBase/KB Toys/Pic 'n' Save/Tidyman's/Heilig-Meyers/Mac's Hobby & Craft

ameskmart1

Defunct Stores of My Past: Ernst/Buttrey Food & Drug/Bi-Lo IGA/Excell Foods/Hennessy's/Mervyns/Troutman's Emporium/B. Dalton/Circuit City/Best/The Bon Marche/Montgomery Ward/Malmo Nursery/United Furniture Warehouse/Future Shop/HomeBase/KB Toys/Pic 'n' Save/Tidyman's/Heilig-Meyers/Mac's Hobby & Craft

tomasher

Former Clover in Philadelphia Pa.

http://www.tomasher.net/deadretail.html

My all-time favorite discount store chain.  When Clover disappeared, it was like losing a piece of my childhood.

The store in this picture was the Clover on Frankford Avenue in Northeast Philadelphia.  The KMart relocated from less than one mile away in an area with much less traffic.

Other Clover stores of my youth include:

- Rising Sun and Adams Avenues in Philadelphia, PA.  This was a Woolco that became a Clover when Woolco shut its doors.  It served as an anchor in the Rising Sun Plaza strip mall with an Acme grocery store, now an Asian supermarket.  The Clover is now a National Wholesale Liquidators, but it only uses one of the two entrances that the Clover (and Woolco) had.

- Cottman and Castor Avenues in Philadelphia, PA.  This was a multi-level Clover with escalators and an elevator, in a former Lit Brothers store.  After Clover left, JCPenney moved in for a few years, before that shut down.  Since then, the property has been relatively vacant except for at least one weekend when one of those traveling electronics expos went in.  A Toys R Us is next door.

- US 130 in Cinnaminson, NJ.  After Clover left, it became... drumroll please... an Ames!  Now, it's an Outlet Marketplace.

A buddy of mine worked in the Feasterville, PA store (now a Value City), and another worked at the store in the Gallery Mall in Center City Philadelphia (now a KMart).

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by tomasher
Former Clover in Philadelphia Pa.

http://www.tomasher.net/deadretail.html

My all-time favorite discount store chain.  When Clover disappeared, it was like losing a piece of my childhood.

The store in this picture was the Clover on Frankford Avenue in Northeast Philadelphia.  The KMart relocated from less than one mile away in an area with much less traffic.

Other Clover stores of my youth include:

- Rising Sun and Adams Avenues in Philadelphia, PA.  This was a Woolco that became a Clover when Woolco shut its doors.  It served as an anchor in the Rising Sun Plaza strip mall with an Acme grocery store, now an Asian supermarket.  The Clover is now a National Wholesale Liquidators, but it only uses one of the two entrances that the Clover (and Woolco) had.

- Cottman and Castor Avenues in Philadelphia, PA.  This was a multi-level Clover with escalators and an elevator, in a former Lit Brothers store.  After Clover left, JCPenney moved in for a few years, before that shut down.  Since then, the property has been relatively vacant except for at least one weekend when one of those traveling electronics expos went in.  A Toys R Us is next door.

- US 130 in Cinnaminson, NJ.  After Clover left, it became... drumroll please... an Ames!  Now, it's an Outlet Marketplace.

A buddy of mine worked in the Feasterville, PA store (now a Value City), and another worked at the store in the Gallery Mall in Center City Philadelphia (now a KMart).

ive seen yor sight before i also liek teh caldor pic from teh village mall as  of last year it was still there but is it there now ?
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

tomasher

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999

ive seen yor sight before i also liek teh caldor pic from teh village mall as  of last year it was still there but is it there now ?

I'm glad you've visited my site, I apologize that it's so out of date.

The Village Mall site is about to be the new home of tenants from the former Pennsauken Mart.  Pennsauken Mart was an indoor flea market-type place that has closed its doors due to some eventual redevelopment by the fine folks of Camden County, NJ.  Here's an MSNBC.com link:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13198164

I'll have to get up that way to take some pictures.  I live about fifteen minutes from there.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999

I'm glad you've visited my site, I apologize that it's so out of date.

The Village Mall site is about to be the new home of tenants from the former Pennsauken Mart.  Pennsauken Mart was an indoor flea market-type place that has closed its doors due to some eventual redevelopment by the fine folks of Camden County, NJ.  Here's an MSNBC.com link:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13198164

I'll have to get up that way to take some pictures.  I live about fifteen minutes from there.

if u want i can send ya some of my pictures of stores that i have visted in NY and CT i also nodiced u had a pic of the jamesway in Seavill NJ is that one still there btw?
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

tomasher

I haven't been down in Seaville for quite some time.  But I wouldn't be surprised if it's still standing.

Caldor1999

I haven't been down in Seaville for quite some time.  But I wouldn't be surprised if it's still standing.

yea it ident look in shuch bad shap well jugge from that pic its porbley there we have a jamesway up by me thats still standing its located in teh dutchesse mall it dosnet hvae a logo or muchs left its just the buliding theres a good amount of deal retil near me theres also a caldor up by me thats still vacant itsd located in middletown ny if u want i can send ya these pics
Caldor Forever!

Ameskid

I was at a softball game last night and looking at a crate used for carrying ball. It didn't have any dairy name on it, so I looked on a side of it. And stuck there was a BIG Clover price sticker!
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

d_fife

here is the vacant strawbridge's in whitehall (allentown) pa as of June 11, 2006.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
here is the vacant strawbridge's in whitehall (allentown) pa as of June 11, 2006.

whitehall, the mall phamplet says it will become boscov's./