Natural Wonders

Started by corycory, June 19, 2008, 02:34:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

corycory

Anyone out there remember or have any information on the Natural Wonders chain, which was based in CA. I used to manage one of their stores.

GothicPrincess

I think that was the name of a shop inside our mall here in west PA. The spot they were in was a Sam Goody, then Natural Wonders, then about 4 other stores, all in the past 3 years. I have no useful information for you though. Sorry...
Jaime...BRADLEES FOREVER!!!

dmx10101

I remember them very well, used to go in the one in the mall that was by me all the time. It was a pretty cool store. I think they went bankrupt and then closed all of their stores.
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

Crawford

I remember this store, there was one in the Emerald Mall and another in the Silver City Galleria. They sold all types of nature videos, games, toys and such. One could also buy crystals and geodes. A little over priced in my opinion but had very unusual and unique things for gifts. I bought a stuffed wolf puppet here that I still have to this day sitting in my cubicle at work. Not sure exactly when they closed, I think it was within the past 5 years or so.
"Through the millennia, the Time Lords of Gallifrey led a life of ordered calm, protected against all threats from lesser civilisations by their great power. But this was to change. Suddenly, and terribly, the Time Lords faced the most dangerous crisis in their long history..."--the Doctor

corycory

When I left the chain, they had just acquired all What a World and World of Science stores, and converted them to Natural Wonders. But what the hell happened in 2001 that made them go belly up?

Anyone else work there at one time?
Any pics of the stores?

I managed the Milwaukee, WI store. It was part of the Chicago district, but I was kind of the lone ranger store, being so far away from everyone else. The other managers were great.

dmx10101

From what I gathered online they filed for ch. 11 bankruptcy and started closing all 286 stores in March 2001. From what I understandm NW buying the WOS chain contributed to their decline, they overextended themselves too quick, several Malls had both a WOS and a NW. And eventually it brought them to bankruptcy.

Natural Wonders Website from the internet wayback machine.
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

corycory

Thanks for posting the logo. I miss it! I really loved my days at Natural Wonders. I met so many great people.

I guess they tried to absorb too many chains at one time. I noticed that right after this happened, all the insiders (management) like Jones and Soncini sold their stock. Kind of left the employees holding the bag, which really sucked!

If there are any managers from the Chicago District out there, hit me up!