Frank's Nursery and Crafts

Started by Caldor1999, February 18, 2005, 05:12:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XISMZERO

Update!
I stopped by the vacant Frank's lot today in Farmington, Connecticut (approximately 30 seconds from my house) and took pictures. The site is absolutely trashed. We're talking it looks like a hurricane blew through here. As I remember, the store always looked a little dilapidated and dirty. After all it was a lawn & garden store... so was Home Depot though and they kept orderly. Anyway, it always smelled like potting soil or fertilizer.

I'll miss Frank's; can't tell you how many Christmas trees and other yard supplies we bought there back in the day. Taking pictures of the abandoned site was closure and a tribute to yet another piece of childhood retail falling into the hands of big 'ol Chapter 11.
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Overgrown and trashed. The road wasn't far away but it felt chilling standing in this "graveyard".
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Some sales signs left behind (I decided to take these).
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

A tote that was never discarded. It lies here orphaned...
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Another shot of the disheveled outdoor area.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

store215

Nice pics! I have an empty Frank's near me in a downright creepy shopping center. (It's been empty, except the greenhouse was used for a seasonal flower store last spring).

Did you take that plastic tote too?

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321
Nice pics! I have an empty Frank's near me in a downright creepy shopping center. (It's been empty, except the greenhouse was used for a seasonal flower store last spring).

Did you take that plastic tote too?

i did take a picture opf one during its GIOB sale teh one near me in the cortland town center clsoed and in bairly a year of being empity its in the prosscie of becommming a best buy
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

XISMZERO

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321Did you take that plastic tote too?

Nope! I actually didn't touch most of anything. It's fascinating how much junk they left behind. I'm not sure what the lot is used for now because I occasionally see pick-up trucks in there doing something.

The only stuff I took were a few sale signs lingering around the property. You can grab the tote if you really want it... I'm sure no one else will.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Should anyone be interested, I've posted my gallery of me photographing a nearby vacant Frank's Nursery & Crafts lot in Farmington, CT. Find the link "Frank's Lives" in my signature. Enjoy!
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

beachgal26

Thanks once again for the great photos.  I remember spending quite a bit of time and money at the Franks near Pasadena, MD and am sad to see yet another great store go out of business.

Marc82

Franks Connecticut:

Farmington - Still Vacant.
Southington - Agway opened in March 2006
Bloomfiled - Independent Supermarket opened there 2006 Geissler's I think.

AmesNewington

Newington store closed because of the employees stealing money from the store. Became Totally Kids Furniture. The store then closed without notice, leaving everyone who paid for furniture and didn't get it out in the dark. The owner got investigated and put on the news.

It is now vacant.

store215

My former local Frank's is becoming a Goodwill store. All the other Frank's near me are still vacant (although one is being used by some temporary swing set store)

storehistoryguy

The Horsham, PA. location is still vacent. I think Frank's actually owned the building because it stands alone and there isn't a for rent sign out. Its probebly abandon. The Warminster, PA. one, which is in a shopping center, became a flower shop for Mother's Day but that closed too and now the shopping center painted over the clay color that part of the building used to be with white paint and taped brown paper bags on the inside of the windows.

store215

QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy
The Horsham, PA. location is still vacent. I think Frank's actually owned the building because it stands alone and there isn't a for rent sign out. Its probebly abandon. The Warminster, PA. one, which is in a shopping center, became a flower shop for Mother's Day but that closed too and now the shopping center painted over the clay color that part of the building used to be with white paint and taped brown paper bags on the inside of the windows.

The Warminster one is the one i mentioned above becoming a Goodwill store. Theres some kind of zoning notice on the door and they are doing work inside. Oh well, at least somethings moving in

d_fife

vacant franks in bristol CT (it was not really in bristol but near the townline and east of it and not far from wal-mart). vacant as of july 21, 2006)

FearlessSwan

Former store,  unknown location

Former store in Clearwater, FL. Now a dollar store. This one is a few blocks from my house and has major labelscar. Wish I had a better picture. All the shopping carts of the dollar store seem to come from random stores, but I haven't actually seen a Frank's one there.

Name badge

Cart

Another store, unknown location

momof3

The Bristol location that d fife posted a picture of is now occupied by New England General store, or something like that.

I liked Franks, It brings back so many memories to see all the photos of all our old favorite long gone stores.

AmesNewington

Frank's was another great memory of mine. The Berlin Turnpike (Newington) store was probably the only arts/crafts/floral store in town until Michaels came in 1996. I remember the smell of the store (potting soil, flowers), I remember the outdoor garden area too. It's still vacant. Coincidentally, a huge JoAnn Superstore stands back to back with the former Franks building. I remember around 94/95 we'd go there and find anything we needed for our flowers, etc. I miss it. I wish it never closed.

Crawford

There was a Frank's on Route 44 in Taunton, Mass. I think it was King's Deparment Store at one time. It was abandoned for awhile and now some sort of machine shop, constuction equipment place is there. There was also another one on Route 1 heading towards Boston. I don't really remember exactly where, I was there the one time. I liked this store because I always bought very unique Christmas ornaments here that I still use to this day. My late mother used to buy her craft supplies here after Ben Franklin's closed down.
"Through the millennia, the Time Lords of Gallifrey led a life of ordered calm, protected against all threats from lesser civilisations by their great power. But this was to change. Suddenly, and terribly, the Time Lords faced the most dangerous crisis in their long history..."--the Doctor

Caldor1999

update theres one in elmsford/white planes still vacant and its really cool to see it evreything has been all over grown there i think i ight stop and see if i can get any pics of it its worth seeing
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Mobil

Three of the five Frank's near me have been torn down. At one, a new Filene's Basement and DSW (they are the same company) was built. Another one was demolished for a Super Wawa last year. The third one, which was a former A&P, was just knocked down sadly.

Frank's had acquired a chain called Gaudios back in 1983.

jmcnamara96

found on the site with the red ames cart best cart

Strick Trailer 1980. Franks Trailer
1980 Strick Trailer, 40 Ft, very good condition, good tires, roadworthy, 3 available
Price:
CALL FOR PRICE
Unit:
609-466-0963

jmcnamara96

10 full size carts. Lot of 10 Used Full Size Shopping Carts
Used full size carts in good condition, dark green epoxy resin basket with "Franks Nursery" on side, heavy duty swivel and stationary wheels, original cost was $120. These are used and may have some slight rust on the chrome. Ships via motor freight on one skid to commercial location only. Freight estimate: East of the Mississippi $175; West of the Mississippi $210-$275.
Price:
$ 500.00
Unit:
Lot of 10 pcs.

Caldor1999

heres one i found im not to sure if this one was in greenburge or ardsley ny but its been vacant since 2004
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

heres some more i would have gotten closer but the entrace was blocked off and i dident feel like getting in troble
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

heres another one the store still lights up at night well the inside does
Caldor Forever!

Marc82

2 picture of Agway in Southington, CT. They opened in 2006 in the old Frank's. Pictures taken yesterday 3/1/2010.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: momof3 on June 13, 2008, 08:39:25 AM
The Bristol location that d fife posted a picture of is now occupied by New England General store, or something like that.

The New England General Store (or whatever it was called I think they  also changed their name) is closed now.

Hudsons81

Frank's Nursery had a huge presence in the Detroit area, stemming from their days as a produce shop on the northeast side of Detroit in the 1940's. They were still based in Troy, MI, right up to it's demise.

The one in Southgate, MI is now the Eureka Farm Market (ironically enough) and the one in Woodhaven, MI is now a Dollar Tree.