Dorothy Bennett (co-founder of Caldor) passed away earlier this month at 82...

Started by AmesNewington, May 27, 2008, 07:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmesNewington

I was going to post this a few days after it happened, but the co-founder of Caldor, Dorothy Bennett ("dor") passed away on May 2, 2008 at 82 in Greenwich, CT. I had no idea she was still alive and I believe her husband Carl ("Cal") is still alive as I believe the obit listed him as a surviving member of the family.

Anyway, it has her picture and her many accomplishments and tells the story of how Carl and Dorothy started Caldor and a bit of the history of the business. It is interesting how they were married the same year as Caldor was founded (1951). The link to the obit follows (let me know if it doesn't work):

http://www.legacy.com/HartfordCourant/DeathNotices.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonID=109009786

She was a remarkable lady and founded a great department store.

beachgal26

I still think that it was kind of sad that they worked so hard and in the end, the stores were just trashed and everything sold off like a garage sale.  Does anyone know why did they sell the stores in the first place?

:huh::huh::huh:

C. Fontaine

I agree, may she rest in peace.  She and her husband tied the knot and began a legacy.

On the related subject, I was talking to the wife of one of Ames co-founders, Evelyn Gilman, and unfortunately I haven't heard from her in months.  I hope all is well.

Marc82

On the subject of Caldor, my new job is in an old Caldor building. Wow. Aren't I cool? I worked in an old KMART building and  now I work in an old Caldor building.

AmesNewington

Where and what is your new job? Just curious, and congrats to you in advance.

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by AmesNewington
Where and what is your new job? Just curious, and congrats to you in advance.

Thanks. Walmart Southington.