Barkers Department Stores

Started by JimSawhill, April 13, 2008, 09:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimSawhill

I used go to the store in Meriden, CT.

greg8370

Me too, they had a store and a supermarket in the same plaza on East Main.

scottw73

There was one in New Milford, CT, It was once a Bradlees, and is now a Wal-Mart

JimSawhill

QuoteOriginally posted by greg8370
Me too, they had a store and a supermarket in the same plaza on East Main.

Barkers Department Store became I believe a Zayres, then an Ames...but it was empty when I last visited it. The Barker Foods became a Meriden Farms... and it was empty, too. I wonder if those are still empty.

JimSawhill

QuoteOriginally posted by scottw73
There was one in New Milford, CT, It was once a Bradlees, and is now a Wal-Mart

Barker's was in New Milford?? Cool...I loved that store. Franklin Stores bought them from the Barker family.

shakethis1234

go to fultonhistory.com search barkers you will get pictures and info on the store u can also search Jamesway or Weston check it out

Toys4Joy

What did Barker's sell?  I believe that a Barkers in Clifton Park later beacame a Joy's Department store in the 80's sometime.

shakethis1234

they were a discount store their was one in Fulton NY Bob Congel first mall now its a dead strip mall but anyways Jamesway bought the store idk if they bought the whole chain or not

Ames303

Went to Barkers in Fulton, N.Y. many times. It reminded me a lot of nearby Westons (later Jamesway). Cash registers were made by Pitney-Bowes with a very odd arrangement of number keys (2 columns, odd on the left, even on the right) 1 2, next row 3 4, etc.

JimSawhill

Quote from: shakethis1234 on July 04, 2008, 12:04:12 PM
they were a discount store their was one in Fulton NY Bob Congel first mall now its a dead strip mall but anyways Jamesway bought the store idk if they bought the whole chain or not

I believe Barker's was split up...Anyone been to the Plaza on East Main Street? If I recall correctly, there was a Ford dealer in front of it...