Linens and Things MAY go NEXT!

Started by NJxxJon, April 11, 2008, 03:25:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NJxxJon

JN

AmesNewington

Why must the only reason for these companies to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy be the "slowing economy"? I'm getting real sick of this "dire outlook of life" from people. Ames, Bradlees and Caldor all had problems and had to close and same with Linens 'n' Things, but the economy wasn't bad when they all closed. It seems like every time a company re-organizes this year, it's because of the economy. Maybe, but not every store, or every company will close just because of this "supposed" recession.

NJxxJon

QuoteOriginally posted by AmesNewington
Why must the only reason for these companies to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy be the "slowing economy"? I'm getting real sick of this "dire outlook of life" from people. Ames, Bradlees and Caldor all had problems and had to close and same with Linens 'n' Things, but the economy wasn't bad when they all closed. It seems like every time a company re-organizes this year, it's because of the economy. Maybe, but not every store, or every company will close just because of this "supposed" recession.

Yeah theres other factors involved. Gas and hard to find car maintenance to get around to go out anymore.  Online stores are killing also. -I keep getting email incentives....COME HERE shop this day! ...haha
JN

beachgal26

While I am the first to stand up for a variety of stores to shop at, I have never liked Linens and Things and would always rather go to bed, Bath and Beyond.

store215

It would be a shame for them to go....I'm betting anything that Bed Bath and Beyond would quickly stop mailing me those generous 20% off coupons almost on a weekly basis.

And of course the economy has a major role here. Target has similar "things" for a lower price, of a similar quality. People may be holding off on buying new bed sets and kitchen appliances when there is food and gas to worry about.

XISMZERO

Heard about this Friday morning on the radio. When you think about it, Linens & Things seems to have lost amongst it competitors over the years. Stores like Bed, Bath and Beyond, and the TJX Companies have them beat.

Oh and AmesNewington, I stopped at the Holyoke Mall this weekend and was floored at the sheer amount of people dwindling their free time and money spending! They have money to shop amongst $3.30 gas prices?! Impossible! The people! They can't even feed themselves! If you walk into a mall on the weekend and see the amount of people of all ages shopping, in Holyoke, which is a mixed population of all kinds of people, you'd think these people hoping for an awful economy were in straight jackets.

I, too, question such a dire economy er "recession." Statistically, there's been a slowing economy, but it seems marginal to me. When you barometer a dire economy, consumer spending is usually the heart of it -- and everything seems just fine to me. Then again, debt goes up, right?
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

AmesNewington

QuoteOriginally posted by XISMZERO
Heard about this Friday morning on the radio. When you think about it, Linens & Things seems to have lost amongst it competitors over the years. Stores like Bed, Bath and Beyond, and the TJX Companies have them beat.

Oh and AmesNewington, I stopped at the Holyoke Mall this weekend and was floored at the sheer amount of people dwindling their free time and money spending! They have money to shop amongst $3.30 gas prices?! Impossible! The people! They can't even feed themselves! If you walk into a mall on the weekend and see the amount of people of all ages shopping, in Holyoke, which is a mixed population of all kinds of people, you'd think these people hoping for an awful economy were in straight jackets.

I, too, question such a dire economy er "recession." Statistically, there's been a slowing economy, but it seems marginal to me. When you barometer a dire economy, consumer spending is usually the heart of it -- and everything seems just fine to me. Then again, debt goes up, right?

My point exactly. All you hear on the radio is "these are hard times", however, at this point, stores are always packed and so are the roads. Westfarms, despite it being heavily renovated is still busy. I went with my family and a friend to the Olive Garden by Sears in W. Hartford, and we had to wait an hour to get seated because it was so busy. Oh and to this day if you are in a store on the Berlin Turnpike on the weekend, be prepared to fight the crowds. I dare not go to Wal Mart or Target then. The food stores too, but I suspect those will hold up fine anyway because you have to eat. Until I see things slow down, I don't believe these so called "experts" saying things are worse than they are.

Linens 'n' Things unfortuneatly is one in a million retailers that failed in their strategy.

Kmart4life

Ours is having a 20% off sale but all sales are final.

Zayre88

QuoteLinens 'n Things Seeks to Sell Canadian Stores, N.Y. Post Says

By Nancy Moran

April 17 (Bloomberg) -- Linens 'n Things Inc., the home- furnishings retailer taken private by Leon Black's Apollo Management LP two years ago, wants to sell its 40 Canadian stores, the New York Post reported, citing unidentified people.

Bed Bath & Beyond Inc., which opened its first Canadian store in Toronto last year, is among potential buyers of the profitable Linens 'n Things locations, the Post said.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601082&sid=aaikXmH.lKXA&refer=canada