Circuit City bashing

Started by Anonymous, March 31, 2008, 08:18:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

I am just warning you guys if you live in or around Indianapolis (especially Greenwood, IN) to avoid Circuit City.  I have had several problems with them.

The first was with their "Price Match Plus" thing.  They're supposed to match the price and then take off 10% of the difference in addition to that.  Needless to say, they didn't.  Best Buy had a computer I wanted that was a complete package.  This included a 17" LCD monitor, a printer, and the computer, all for $699.  "Hmm...I'll try it," I thought, considering the computer by itself was $699.

I take my Best Buy ad into the store, and I ask them if they'll do their "Price Match Plus" thing on the computer package.  They say yes, so I go ahead and purchase the computer.  I applied for a credit card to cover the cost (6 months same as cash + 0% interest).  I was told the package was going to be $728 with tax...but I was furious when I found out I was charged $1500+ on the statement.

I venture back into the store, statement in hand...and after 45 minutes of arguing with the manager (probably 25 years old, but I had more retail knowledge than them and I haven't even been in the retail field for a year yet!!!), they FINALLY give me the price they said I was going to have in the first place.

All was well for a while until I started having problems with the computer.  I took it back into the store because I called in-store tech support and they said they would fix my computer for free in-house.  All it needed was an OS reinstall, and I should have done it myself, but NOOOOO...I decided to take it to them because I need to do other things in the area anyway.  "Okay, maybe not everyone is bad," I think, and I give them a second chance.  Bad decision.

I go back to pick up my computer, and they tell me the "motherboard is bad" and that they have "sent the computer back to the manufacturer" to have the motherboard replaced.  Number one, they didn't ask my permission to send the computer; and number two, the motherboard WASN'T bad.  The system POSTed, so if anything was wrong, it was the hard disk, NOT the board.

"Fine, so it's off at the manufacturer.  It will be safe there," I thought.  That is where the third strike occurs.  I get home the Monday after I took the computer in, and I have a message from the CIRCUIT CITY REPAIR CENTER in LOUISVILLE, not HP like they said it was going to be.  They may work "in-house" that way, but you DO NOT tell the customer you are going to send it to the manufacturer when you are going to send it to your own service center.

I call these people up and ask them what they want.  They want permission to reinstall the OS.  So much for faulty mobos...  I give them permission since they already have the machine, and they tell me I can pick my computer back up the following weekend.  I do so, but I immediately notice one thing: the back of the case is dented in beyond repair.

At my wit's end, I file a complaint with both the Louisville and Indianapolis BBB branches and sent enclosures of pictures of how bad my computer was damaged, knowing that I did not do this.  (Trust me, I have a twelve-year-old Gateway E-3200 that looks like it just came out of the box...not a scratch on it.  I am WAY TOO OVERPROTECTIVE when it comes to my technology.)  The response I received from both branches of the BBB probably pissed me off the most: "Upon contacting the business[es], we have determined the businesses have done everything in their power to remedy the situation.  We have closed this complaint."

Okay...so the Kentucky and Indiana Constitutions say that if I damage something, I have to pay the cost of it, but if Circuit City damages my computer, they have "done everything in their power to remedy the situation"?  I don't think so. :flaming:

I hope Circuit City suffers a horrible bankruptcy and goes out of business.  They have horrid customer service, they lie, and they can get away with damaging your merchandise.  If they closed, I wouldn't miss them one bit.  I'll get all my electronic merchandise either at Best Buy or from online merchants from now on.

CTAmeshopper

We're getting a new Circuit City in the place of the former Sears Hardware store, we'll see how good the service works at that store.

NJxxJon

QuoteOriginally posted by tbennett
I wrote the above story.

I would just like everyone to know that because of the damage to my computer's chassis, which caused poor ventilation, the hard drive died.  This is another reason to hate Circuit City.  Never before have I had a computer for two years whose hard drive died!  (As I said before, I have a now 13-year-old Gateway E-3200 that still works!)

I can't wait until Circuit City goes out of business!

Tyler

Ok ya wanna be a good sport and PM me how you got past ANON posting? .....Read the rules of our board as well so you know.
JN

powersbt

QuoteOriginally posted by NJxxJon

Ok ya wanna be a good sport and PM me how you got past ANON posting? .....Read the rules of our board as well so you know.

Unbelievable.

C. Fontaine

QuoteOriginally posted by NJxxJon
QuoteOriginally posted by tbennett
I wrote the above story.

I would just like everyone to know that because of the damage to my computer's chassis, which caused poor ventilation, the hard drive died.  This is another reason to hate Circuit City.  Never before have I had a computer for two years whose hard drive died!  (As I said before, I have a now 13-year-old Gateway E-3200 that still works!)

I can't wait until Circuit City goes out of business!

Tyler

Hey man chill, sheeshe...

riickyyyspaaaaniiiish

Quote from: Anonymous on March 31, 2008, 08:18:04 PM
I am just warning you guys if you live in or around Indianapolis (especially Greenwood, IN) to avoid Circuit City.  I have had several problems with them.

The first was with their "Price Match Plus" thing.  They're supposed to match the price and then take off 10% of the difference in addition to that.  Needless to say, they didn't.  Best Buy had a computer I wanted that was a complete package.  This included a 17" LCD monitor, a printer, and the computer, all for $699.  "Hmm...I'll try it," I thought, considering the computer by itself was $699.

I take my Best Buy ad into the store, and I ask them if they'll do their "Price Match Plus" thing on the computer package.  They say yes, so I go ahead and purchase the computer.  I applied for a credit card to cover the cost (6 months same as cash + 0% interest).  I was told the package was going to be $728 with tax...but I was furious when I found out I was charged $1500+ on the statement.

I venture back into the store, statement in hand...and after 45 minutes of arguing with the manager (probably 25 years old, but I had more retail knowledge than them and I haven't even been in the retail field for a year yet!!!), they FINALLY give me the price they said I was going to have in the first place.

All was well for a while until I started having problems with the computer.  I took it back into the store because I called in-store tech support and they said they would fix my computer for free in-house.  All it needed was an OS reinstall, and I should have done it myself, but NOOOOO...I decided to take it to them because I need to do other things in the area anyway.  "Okay, maybe not everyone is bad," I think, and I give them a second chance.  Bad decision.

I go back to pick up my computer, and they tell me the "motherboard is bad" and that they have "sent the computer back to the manufacturer" to have the motherboard replaced.  Number one, they didn't ask my permission to send the computer; and number two, the motherboard WASN'T bad.  The system POSTed, so if anything was wrong, it was the hard disk, NOT the board.

"Fine, so it's off at the manufacturer.  It will be safe there," I thought.  That is where the third strike occurs.  I get home the Monday after I took the computer in, and I have a message from the CIRCUIT CITY REPAIR CENTER in LOUISVILLE, not HP like they said it was going to be.  They may work "in-house" that way, but you DO NOT tell the customer you are going to send it to the manufacturer when you are going to send it to your own service center.

I call these people up and ask them what they want.  They want permission to reinstall the OS.  So much for faulty mobos...  I give them permission since they already have the machine, and they tell me I can pick my computer back up the following weekend.  I do so, but I immediately notice one thing: the back of the case is dented in beyond repair.

At my wit's end, I file a complaint with both the Louisville and Indianapolis BBB branches and sent enclosures of pictures of how bad my computer was damaged, knowing that I did not do this.  (Trust me, I have a twelve-year-old Gateway E-3200 that looks like it just came out of the box...not a scratch on it.  I am WAY TOO OVERPROTECTIVE when it comes to my technology.)  The response I received from both branches of the BBB probably pissed me off the most: "Upon contacting the business[es], we have determined the businesses have done everything in their power to remedy the situation.  We have closed this complaint."

Okay...so the Kentucky and Indiana Constitutions say that if I damage something, I have to pay the cost of it, but if Circuit City damages my computer, they have "done everything in their power to remedy the situation"?  I don't think so. :flaming:

I hope Circuit City suffers a horrible bankruptcy and goes out of business.  They have horrid customer service, they lie, and they can get away with damaging your merchandise.  If they closed, I wouldn't miss them one bit.  I'll get all my electronic merchandise either at Best Buy or from online merchants from now on.
Holy moley I think you did bash them out of existence!
misses spags